College's best are up for grabs

College's best are up for grabs

There are 32 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 24, 2007, titled College's best are up for grabs. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Because of flops such as Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer and Akili Smith in the 1990s, quarterback once was considered the most risky position to select in the NFL Draft's first round.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Apr 24, 2007
Philip Rivers and Eli Manning were both drafted in the top 5 overall in 2004 and both are starting now. What is your point Slick Marvez? I've got me hand on my chin trying to figure it out. Thanks for the insight punk! Oh yeah, Peyton Manning was picked in the 1st round and Drew Brees was taken in the early second. Sounds like we just summed up almost all of the Playoff contenders including the Superbowl Champs!

Thanks Slick! Great story!
Rumblefish21

United States

#2 Apr 25, 2007
True true
Marcos

Melbourne, FL

#3 Apr 25, 2007
It's time they take a stud offensive lineman as a first pick.
Notwerk

Miami, FL

#4 Apr 25, 2007
I think the point is that historically, quarterback has been a dodgy position, but his larger point is that wide receiver, not quarterback, has been an even tougher position to judge. The past several drafts, receivers taken in the first have not fared well.
DLFN-FAN

United States

#5 Apr 25, 2007
An offensive Lineman is a WASTED pick at #9. We can pick a decent lineman in the 3rd/4th round.
The Dolphins need more SPEED!!!
Truth

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#6 Apr 25, 2007
I admit to not reading the whole story and being very tired when I posted.

The anger in my post stems from Marvez coming on and deleting threads after people, mainly me, spend their time writing and posting.

The RB coach story had 38 posts last night and as soon as Marvez posted his new story, he also deleted the threads. Although the thread is still accessible to those that posted, the story was set to zero posts.
This is a re-post from last night before Marvez cleared it:

I think the trade for Green will happen before the draft and hopefully so. The trade for Green will be for a draft pick or picks and not players. Thus, KC wants their draft pick(s)before the draft or on draft day, not after.

If what they say is true, Oakland likes Daunte and might go after him and then draft Calvin Johnson at # 1. This is good for Miami. We then have a better shot of Cleveland taking Russell and us trading up to 6 with Washington to draft Quinn.

Bottom line: We should try to trade or cut Daunte NOW to insure Quinn slips. Quinn is the prize. Daunte could be the piece of the puzzle that allows us to get the prize. Cut Daunte and allow Oakland to get their feel good BS on. Give them the pie in the sky and go grab the prize!!!
football hermit

Ocala, FL

#7 Apr 25, 2007
"An offensive Lineman is a WASTED pick at #9. We can pick a decent lineman in the 3rd/4th round."

Not necessarily. And yeah we do need speed. I wouldn't say MORE speed because it would be very difficult to find any at all to add to.

We just have so many holes on offense

But the thing is ya cant go into the first round with pre conceived notions on what you have to pick at the 9 slot because you absolutely have no idea on who is going to fall to you.

Im personally just happy that we have a situation where we don't have a Saban or a Wanny with absolute power making personnel decisions all by his lonesome. But because the draft is such a crapshoot we could still draft a bust but at least you wont have Wanny trying to defend his bust pick for 4 years(Wade Smith, Fletcher, Moore) ad nauseum
thirstybuzzardca ne

Lake Worth, FL

#8 Apr 25, 2007
Truth wrote:
The anger in my post stems from Marvez coming on and deleting threads after people, mainly me, spend their time writing and posting.
The RB coach story had 38 posts last night and as soon as Marvez posted his new story, he also deleted the threads. Although the thread is still accessible to those that posted, the story was set to zero posts.
I think the trade for Green will happen before the draft and hopefully so. The trade for Green will be for a draft pick or picks and not players. Thus, KC wants their draft pick(s)before the draft or on draft day, not after.
If what they say is true, Oakland likes Daunte and might go after him and then draft Calvin Johnson at # 1. This is good for Miami. We then have a better shot of Cleveland taking Russell and us trading up to 6 with Washington to draft Quinn.
Bottom line: We should try to trade or cut Daunte NOW to insure Quinn slips. Quinn is the prize. Daunte could be the piece of the puzzle that allows us to get the prize. Cut Daunte and allow Oakland to get their feel good BS on. Give them the pie in the sky and go grab the prize!!!
Quinn sucks, if Miami waste their pick on him I would have to give up on the Dolphins. They should have kept Harrington and released Culpepper. Please go for a DB or WR in the draft.
football hermit

Ocala, FL

#9 Apr 25, 2007
Truth wrote:
Gee.. I wonder why he would delete YOUR post "Truth". I doubt he did though. Its called paranoid schizophrenia. <snicker>

Marvez is a pretty good sports writer IMO. Some Dolphin fans - the ones who play Maddenball think they wrote the book on football. pfft!
football hermit

Ocala, FL

#10 Apr 25, 2007
Oh and btw Im just kidding wid U truth...;-)
fvofinfan

AOL

#11 Apr 25, 2007
Let's relax on Marvez..he's doing a good job! The article made an excellent point...its usually a wasted pick when you draft a WR in the 1st round. I think Calvin Johnson is going to be a stud..but would not waste a 1st round pick on any other WR in this draft. Especially Ginn!!! He has bust written all over him!

No...lets invest in the O line. Waiting to the third and fourth round to draft O linemen is competely reckless. Levi Brown with the 9th pick or trade down and get Staley and an additional second round pick, then get a center and guard!
Bobbi Nockow

Wellford, SC

#12 Apr 25, 2007
Good article Alex, what's new with the trade for Trent Green ? Hanven't seen anything in the papper lately we do need a veteran QB though and DC might not be ready by QB School.
Gary

United States

#13 Apr 25, 2007
There is no use talking about Russell and Quinn, they won't be playing here and I doubt that Thomas or Brown will either. Thomas will be gone and so will both QBs.
As far as moving up in the draft goes that appears to be out of the question because of all the holes they need to fill. I look for Miami to stay right where they are and pick the player they feel that fits there system, and that appears to be on the defensive side of the ball. This draft is loaded with Off-lineman and they will load up on them because there will be good ones still left in the third round and beyond. So here is my guess Miami will move down to get more picks if possable. If they are able to do that then look for Trent Edwards, Drew Stanton or Beck to be in a Dolphin uniform by the end of the first day.
Adolph Oliver Pubies

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#14 Apr 25, 2007
Truth wrote:
Philip Rivers and Eli Manning were both drafted in the top 5 overall in 2004 and both are starting now. What is your point Slick Marvez? I've got me hand on my chin trying to figure it out. Thanks for the insight punk! Oh yeah, Peyton Manning was picked in the 1st round and Drew Brees was taken in the early second. Sounds like we just summed up almost all of the Playoff contenders including the Superbowl Champs!
That is his point exactly. What he is saying is that taking a WR in the first round has become more of a risk than taking a QB in the first round. What is YOUR point slick???
y-not

Atlanta, GA

#15 Apr 25, 2007
Truth wrote:
You missed Marvez' point. The point of the story was that receivers are more likely to bust in the first round than QB's.
Steve

Deerfield, IL

#16 Apr 25, 2007
This whole draft thing is easy. You take the best football players with every draft pick we have. Regardless. You do this 2 years straight & you look at the team we will have. I don't care if it is Adrain peterson there at 9. We take him. So what. My point is, it doesn't matter the position, you draft the best football players when we are in as bad as shape as we are. You have 2 great players at the same position great you can always get more picks for them.
Steve

Deerfield, IL

#17 Apr 25, 2007
Again to my point of picking the best players. The lions are idiots if they don't take Calvin Johnson at 2 if he is there. I don't care how many wideouts they have drafted before. You have to take the best players available.
sickntired

AOL

#18 Apr 25, 2007
Offensive line! Read my lips.. Offensive line! Everything else will fall into place with a good offensive line. Anyone who really knows football can tell you that. Get in position to get a good offensive lineman or two and we will be fine.
Dolphins Mania

Norristown, PA

#19 Apr 25, 2007
I don't know
Get someone good cameron
dolphooln

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#21 Apr 25, 2007
Lets hope they find a team willing to move up to ninth!
Gary wrote:
There is no use talking about Russell and Quinn, they won't be playing here and I doubt that Thomas or Brown will either. Thomas will be gone and so will both QBs.
As far as moving up in the draft goes that appears to be out of the question because of all the holes they need to fill. I look for Miami to stay right where they are and pick the player they feel that fits there system, and that appears to be on the defensive side of the ball. This draft is loaded with Off-lineman and they will load up on them because there will be good ones still left in the third round and beyond. So here is my guess Miami will move down to get more picks if possable. If they are able to do that then look for Trent Edwards, Drew Stanton or Beck to be in a Dolphin uniform by the end of the first day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andre Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Patriots # 1 in power rankings? (Oct '15) Oct '15 Hawk 1
News Houston's Mallett looks for turnaround against ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Farts taint 1
News Texans' additions not enough to dethrone the Co... (Mar '15) Mar '15 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News Texans dump Jags, stay in postseason race (Dec '14) Dec '14 Diarrhea Dave 2
News The Buffalo Bills Will See a Familiar Face When... (Sep '14) Sep '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 1
News 10 observations on the Texans so far (Aug '14) Aug '14 Obriens Butt-Chin 1
News A Pick Six of new passing combos (Aug '14) Aug '14 OBriens Butt-Chin 2
More from around the web