Rob Oller commentary: Smith's college fame sacked by reality of NFL...

The ruthless reality of NFL cutdown day is that names once appearing in large, bold print atop newspaper stories now hide in typeface requiring squintervision. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Judas Obama

Carlsbad, CA

#21 Sep 6, 2010
Always believed he was a bit overrated. He did have some good days but not quite a solid quarterback.
Judas Obama

Carlsbad, CA

#22 Sep 6, 2010
OSUwinsSept11 wrote:
This is the perfect story for all scholarship football players at the Division I level who believe a college degree is an afterthought to the riches of the NFL. Bobby Carpenter was a first-round pick just four years ago. What will he do now? The moral of the story is: Get your degree and plan for life after football no matter how many stars adorn your high school recruiting ranking.
College degrees are also highly overrated and a dime-a-dozen nowadays.
Judas Obama

Carlsbad, CA

#23 Sep 6, 2010
John in Worthington wrote:
Matt Leinart was also a victim of the cold reality of the NFL.
The NFL, more than ever, is a Quarterback's league. If you don't have a Super Bowl caliber QB -- and if your back-up QB isn't perceived to be of a "future Super Bowl caliber quality" then your team is perceived to have no chance of winning.
It is the toughest position to learn and play at the professional level. My hunch is that Troy Smith won't be unemployed long. Injuries and other factors create openings for experienced back-up QB's all the time. Smith may not be done just yet, but clearly his glory days are in his rearview mirror.
Troy can always open up that In-N-Out Burger franchise.
Big Troy fan

Dublin, OH

#24 Sep 6, 2010
He still is and probably always will be the #1 all time tOSU QB in my book. Troy was awesome in college.
Big Troy fan

Dublin, OH

#25 Sep 6, 2010
Judas Obama wrote:
<quoted text>
College degrees are also highly overrated and a dime-a-dozen nowadays.
Maybe if you spent the effort to get one you wouldn't be so clueless about what you say and think!
Big Troy fan

Dublin, OH

#26 Sep 6, 2010
Sha Zam wrote:
Early Warning. All you Hicks up there better get out your banjo's and start figuring what sad song you are going to strum on saturday. It will probably go something like this "Troy Smith stinks and my hound dog ran away with my toothless wife but that wasn't so bad until Miamim came to town and ruined my life". Man life is sad.
If Tressel wasn't such a gentleman and doesn't take the starters out by the mid 3rd qrtr (when the game is over for Cryami fans) the score would be much worse than the 45 OSU 21 UM score I predict.
rukd

Lima, OH

#27 Sep 6, 2010
Sha Zam wrote:
Ahhhh, that was a very romantic story about another over rated buckeye. I'll never forget this guy getting run down by a helmet less Gator in the 07 NC. Reality is painful and Miami is bringing the pain in five days. Too bad. Soo sad.
i remember miami getting there butts kicked in the championship game in 2002 ahh what a shame daddy going to have to hand out discipline again in 2010 go bucks

Since: Nov 09

Westerville, OH

#28 Sep 6, 2010
Sha Zam wrote:
Early Warning. All you Hicks up there better get out your banjo's and start figuring what sad song you are going to strum on saturday. It will probably go something like this "Troy Smith stinks and my hound dog ran away with my toothless wife but that wasn't so bad until Miamim came to town and ruined my life". Man life is sad.
You're pretty quick to dog on Troy Smith. How's Gino Torretta doing these days? He had a pretty spectacular NFL career after he won the Heisman...
Sha Zam

Jupiter, FL

#29 Sep 6, 2010
Big Troy fan wrote:
He still is and probably always will be the #1 all time tOSU QB in my book. Troy was awesome in college.
Thanks for your input Troy.
Sha Zam

Jupiter, FL

#30 Sep 6, 2010
Well plans were underway to turn your stadium into a water park after we demolish your imitation football team but someone down here told me there is no sunlight there. So we are probably just going to turn it into a junkyard. The Noles embarrassed you, the Gators humiliated you, and now the Canes are going to finish you.

Since: Sep 10

Boone, NC

#31 Sep 6, 2010
Nice article Rob
OSU Alum 05

Columbus, OH

#32 Sep 6, 2010
Sha Zam wrote:
Well plans were underway to turn your stadium into a water park after we demolish your imitation football team but someone down here told me there is no sunlight there. So we are probably just going to turn it into a junkyard. The Noles embarrassed you, the Gators humiliated you, and now the Canes are going to finish you.
As a Columbus resident, that's the least of my concerns this weekend. I just hope we have enough hookers and blow on hand to keep Michael Irvin happy.
Jimbo

Pittsford, NY

#33 Sep 6, 2010
Ditto to those who say Troy's NFL days are not finished. We Buckeye fans in Western New York have always hoped he would land on the ONLY real NFL team in the State of New York. The other two are New Jersey teams. Donte Whitner politicked for him, and we really need a QB. Our fingers are crossed.
FooLeD uS

Columbus, OH

#34 Sep 6, 2010
The CFL is taylor made for his skill set. Running QBs that can throw tend to thrive in the CFL. He should consider giving it a chance over the UFL or Arena League. Of course these cut buckeyes could always go play with Clarett in Omaha. hahaha
Slynn

Columbus, OH

#35 Sep 6, 2010
Troy was picked up by the San Francisco 49ers. All of those Buckeyes mentioned are on NFL practice squads and Rob Rose is on the Miami Dolphins roster. I admit I do feel sorry for those Cryami players and their fans when our big boys put a beating on their little bodies. Remember Wisconsin.
Cory

Columbus, OH

#36 Sep 6, 2010
49ers sign Troy Smith. Troy to Ted all the way to the Superbowl. Write it down!
Ace

Palisades Park, NJ

#37 Sep 6, 2010
He over achieved at OSU but still is a great alumni and person. The opposite of Clarett.
ccc

San Francisco, CA

#38 Sep 6, 2010
sha zam lives in that hellhole florida and he's ripping on the north? i bet he eats, sleeps and breaths in nothing but jorts 24/7 in some trailer next to a swamp in inland florida.
Sign with another team

Lexington, KY

#39 Sep 7, 2010
OSUwinsSept11 wrote:
This is the perfect story for all scholarship football players at the Division I level who believe a college degree is an afterthought to the riches of the NFL. Bobby Carpenter was a first-round pick just four years ago. What will he do now? The moral of the story is: Get your degree and plan for life after football no matter how many stars adorn your high school recruiting ranking.
Sign with the Miami Dolphins is what he did...
ODaized

Des Moines, IA

#40 Sep 7, 2010
Hopefully Troy will be there Saturday to see Pryor beat the shet out of miami.

GO BUCKS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anderson Russell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can physical safeties cover? | BuckeyeXtra (Aug '10) Aug '10 mdcbuck 22
Ohio State football: Johnson is ready to get st... (Aug '10) Aug '10 mdcbuck 19
NFL draft: Buckeyes' streak in danger | Buckeye... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Huh 37
OSU football: Spitler hopes for fast track to N... (Feb '10) Mar '10 fightfan 33
Buckeyes help tackle reading cause (Mar '10) Mar '10 49erBillie 1
Ohio State football: Gibson declares for NFL | ... (Jan '10) Jan '10 SC Stuart 23
Oregon won't be a pushover | BuckeyeXtra (Dec '09) Jan '10 Buck-guy NJ 423
More from around the web