Ravens make final cuts; Martin suspended

Ravens make final cuts; Martin suspended

There are 38 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Aug 30, 2008, titled Ravens make final cuts; Martin suspended. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The Ravens waived 19 players today as part of their final roster cuts and will be without cornerback Derrick Martin for the regular-season opener after he was suspended for violating the NFL 's substance abuse ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jacob

Holbrook, NY

#1 Aug 30, 2008
Do the Ravens have any CBs on the roster for the Bengals game? Martin suspended, Prude, Pittman (on IR), C-Mac's knee, Washingotn suspended.

Wow, Palmer may torch us
smelly tramp

Chicago, IL

#2 Aug 30, 2008
argh, why are ivy and walker still on the team. surely we can find better cover men on the street. i don't want to hear about walker being a special teams contributer.
Mr Football

Baltimore, MD

#3 Aug 30, 2008
The Ravens need to pick up Willie Anderson. Cincinatti just released him and he's an experienced former Pro Bowl tackle. Bonus is that we play Cincinatti next week and he can help us prepare for their offense.
Prospect Expert

Riderwood, MD

#4 Aug 30, 2008
Mr Football wrote:
The Ravens need to pick up Willie Anderson. Cincinatti just released him and he's an experienced former Pro Bowl tackle. Bonus is that we play Cincinatti next week and he can help us prepare for their offense.
Ozzie had better sign him AT ONCE!!!
mike

Finksburg, MD

#5 Aug 30, 2008
smelly tramp wrote:
argh, why are ivy and walker still on the team. surely we can find better cover men on the street. i don't want to hear about walker being a special teams contributer.
I can't agree more!! Ivy should have been cut after the 3rd preseason game.
Harry

Rochester, NY

#6 Aug 30, 2008
The surprise to me is the Ravens cutting Allen Patrick, RB, that leaves just two Fbs and McGahee (knee) and Rice. Seems that they never gave Patrick a good look, til Ross(IR) was injured in the last pre game. Patrick is a good RB. They cut Bramlet and kept Boller, maybe this indicates the results from any tests Fri are that he won't need season ending surgery, yet. It seems that they already gave up on Boller and he only has one yr left on his contract, why keep an injured Boller??? I agree from what I saw of Walker, even tho he was a FA signing they should have cut him. I was also disappointed in trading two draft picks for Douglas and inheriting his big contract vs just keeping Gordon who had 2 sacks in pre games. Ozzie needs to bring in some WR help off waivers.
KWR

AOL

#7 Aug 30, 2008
I really hope that the front office has plans to sign some other players that have been cut from different teams. Some of these cuts didn't make any sense. Can anyone tell me why Ivy wasn't cut? How many times must he get burned on coverage? I have to agree with "Harry", what's up with the Bramlet cut, will we ever be told really what's going on with Boller?And why keep him if they(front office) thinks he will finally be able to start mid season. Wow!
Maui Guy

Long Beach, CA

#8 Aug 30, 2008
Looks like a bummer year. Offense seems lame and d is all banged up and old. Q-backs all horrible.

I heard Fred Enke is available.(Who remembers him?)
jono

Baltimore, MD

#9 Aug 30, 2008
Harry wrote:
They cut Bramlet and kept Boller, maybe this indicates the results from any tests Fri are that he won't need season ending surgery, yet. It seems that they already gave up on Boller and he only has one yr left on his contract, why keep an injured Boller???
They can't just cut Boller -- too costly. They need to have some sort of injury payout settlment, or trade him. Apparently they didn't feel Bramlet is the answer they sought, which either means they have their eye on signing someone else they think is being cut, are hunting down a veteran, or they really think that the Smith/Flacco tandem is a diamond in the rough.
Dave

Alexandria, VA

#10 Aug 30, 2008
I am a bit surprised they cut TE Adam Bergen. He was the top TE thru out the pre-season. I guess when they moved Edgar Jones from LB to TE that put the handwriting on the wall. They need another RB with McGahee having knee surgery leaving only Ray Rice on the roster.
castle1

Myrtle Beach, SC

#11 Aug 30, 2008
smelly tramp wrote:
They gave Walker 1.2M, they aren't letting him go. Ivy is still a dependable mickel back but forced in to a corner role he is exposed as a liability.
Dutch

Baltimore, MD

#12 Aug 30, 2008
If its true that the Bengals cut Willie Anderson he should be on a plane to sign here tonight. If the Ravens make no attempt to sign him it really shows that we just aren't committed to our offense.
castle1

Myrtle Beach, SC

#13 Aug 30, 2008
jono wrote:
<quoted text>
They can't just cut Boller -- too costly. They need to have some sort of injury payout settlment, or trade him. Apparently they didn't feel Bramlet is the answer they sought, which either means they have their eye on signing someone else they think is being cut, are hunting down a veteran, or they really think that the Smith/Flacco tandem is a diamond in the rough.
Boller is a no brainer cut but they can't do it while he is injured. Once they reach a settlement thye will probably bring in a recently cut QB (Chris Simms maybe)to fill out the roster.
bdoc

Bloomfield, NJ

#14 Aug 30, 2008
I hate to see Gary Stills go, he was arguably our best special teams player, he'll be missed.
Seven of the guys that were cut will find their way to the practice squad provided their not grabbed by someone else first.
Boller is done... even if he can play at some point down the road it doesn't pay to keep him. They left the fifty third spot on the roster open for a new QB, who that guy will be is anybodys guess, but that's what is coming down. They can't go into the regular season game without a viable QB to back up Smith and they will not risk Flacco. It wouldn't surprise me if they sign someone tonight, cut Boller tomorrow (because they kept him off of the IR) and sign back Stills, if he's still available.
When you look at some of the cuts that were made they don't make sense, until you cut through the emotion and look at the business side of things.
itssteeven

Santa Barbara, CA

#15 Aug 30, 2008
Matt Willis is gone?......we need that guy.....
Austin Texas is a sewer

Laurel, MD

#16 Aug 30, 2008
Dave wrote:
I am a bit surprised they cut TE Adam Bergen. He was the top TE thru out the pre-season. I guess when they moved Edgar Jones from LB to TE that put the handwriting on the wall. They need another RB with McGahee having knee surgery leaving only Ray Rice on the roster.
Bergen and Bramlet go on the practice squad is my guess. My left a spot open to look at the waiver wire.
Austin Texas is a sewer

Laurel, MD

#17 Aug 30, 2008
castle1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Boller is a no brainer cut but they can't do it while he is injured. Once they reach a settlement thye will probably bring in a recently cut QB (Chris Simms maybe)to fill out the roster.
And another out-of-towner attacks Boller for no good reason.

Since: Aug 08

Chestertown, MD

#18 Aug 30, 2008
I am a bit suprised at the panic from fans about some of these cuts. I will admit that Stills being gone disappointed me. I would have enjoyed having both he and Ayanbadejo on Special teams. Nevertheless people have to understand that they cannot simply cut everyone without salary cap consequences that will set them back even further in the future and have more people on Ozzie's case about that.

We just hired a new head coach who is trying to instill a new mentality in the team. We have gone through almost a decade of bad offense and hired a new coordinator(and this head coach will allow him to do his job). This tide was never going to turn over night.

As for the news of Willie Anderson being released by the Bengals, he was a long time mainstay of that offensive line that did such a great job of protecting Palmer. Before I get him on the plane to come here and eat his large salary number(Yes it will be large), I am trying to figure out exactly why Cincinatti released him. Injuries are an issue right now, but the fact is that we were not going to win a Super Bowl this year. There is no need to act in such a rash manner and mortgage the future to salvage the season that was never there.
will

Baltimore, MD

#19 Aug 30, 2008
Get Willie Anderson if the price is right!
lopl

Columbia, MD

#20 Aug 30, 2008
Amon Gordon should have stayed, he is a beast and will make another team's defence real good!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amon Gordon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Eagles claim DT Gordon off waivers from Titans (Feb '09) Feb '09 ChasoOnion 3
News Flare-ups relative for Cousins (Aug '08) Aug '08 Rob 6
News Free-falling Broncos shuffle roster (Nov '07) Nov '07 j vogel 2
News Dumervil wants to be more than a pass-rusher (Aug '07) Aug '07 K DOGG 2
News Former practice squader moves into starting role (Aug '07) Aug '07 TJACK 2
News Broncos claim DL Amon Gordon from Cleveland Mar '06 joe m 1
More from around the web