49ers 2009 opponent breakdown: Green ...

49ers 2009 opponent breakdown: Green Bay Packers

There are 35 comments on the San Francisco Examiner story from Jul 3, 2009, titled 49ers 2009 opponent breakdown: Green Bay Packers. In it, San Francisco Examiner reports that:

July 3, 12:49 AM Comment RSS Aaron Rodgers wants to prove that can lead the Pack back to the playoffs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Francisco Examiner.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#22 Jul 14, 2009
Well put. The guys seem to like Aaron, the next step is that leadership respect that comes with willing people to win. Mac talks a good game. Results are what matters.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#23 Jul 14, 2009
Keep in mind that Capers has a history of turning around defenses quickly and making them very effective. Also note that Capers has the former DC from the Panthers, a LB coach in Greene who was a great player and probably is a good mentor for our guys, and we have the Steelers former safety's coach. When you add that to the talent that GB has and was drafted, one would think that our defense will be better than 2008. Sure Cutler has seen the 3-4, but the Bears have a different offensive philosophy versus the Broncos and the personnel is not the same. I just think the teams within the division will be challenged to figure this out as we are challenged to learn the system.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#24 Jul 14, 2009
The advantage will be that teams won't have a lot of film on us. How predictable are Caper's schemes? He's been coaching awhile. Seems all they did was draft defensive players in Houston and let David Carr take a pounding and wins? Not that many. Not a great personnel guy either, if you look at Carolina once he took that over--they won like 6 games in 2 seasons. Makes you wonder. So we'll see... Fingers crossed.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#25 Jul 14, 2009
normallylikeyellow wrote:
The advantage will be that teams won't have a lot of film on us. How predictable are Caper's schemes? He's been coaching awhile. Seems all they did was draft defensive players in Houston and let David Carr take a pounding and wins? Not that many. Not a great personnel guy either, if you look at Carolina once he took that over--they won like 6 games in 2 seasons. Makes you wonder. So we'll see... Fingers crossed.
As head coach, no he did not do well, but as d-coordinator he shined. I think once he had to watch over the offense it became too much, but I think if he can solely take charge on D he'll be ok, I think. The guy in Pitt has been there a wile for teams to know what they run and they still do well.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#26 Jul 14, 2009
Don't get me too wrong. Belichick's stamp of approval says plenty about Capers--particularly his work with Dbacks, which was his original specialty. We could use some coaching in that respect as we transition to the younger guys. I guess I wonder about his age. Great job in Jacksonville 1999, Pittsburgh back in 2002-04, 2007 in Miami? They were 30th in D. No turnaround there. In 3-4 circles, Capers is considered pretty conservative--not Dick LeBeau by any means. At Houston he made household names out Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman--who? Those were their leading tacklers. Maybe the consultant and position asst. offers of late put him more in a Dave Campo category--good football guy who the game hasn't passed by, but maybe the players have? A theory. Trying to rectify the grumbling with the reality of changing schemes.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#27 Jul 14, 2009
Don't get me too wrong. Belichick's stamp of approval says plenty about Capers--particularly his work with Dbacks, which was his original specialty. We could use some coaching in that respect as we transition to the younger guys. I guess I wonder about his age. Great job in Jacksonville 1999, Pittsburgh back in 2002-04, 2007 in Miami? They were 30th in D. No turnaround there. In 3-4 circles, Capers is considered pretty conservative--not Dick LeBeau by any means. At Houston he made household names out Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman--who? Those were their leading tacklers. Maybe the consultant and position asst. offers of late put him more in a Dave Campo category--good football guy who the game hasn't passed by, but maybe the players have? A theory. Trying to rectify the grumbling with the reality of changing schemes.
In Miami Jason Taylor was D MVP the year Dom was there, but Miami had no supporting cast. We just need better play on D and we'll be real tough to beat. Yes, I have said Tramon will have a good year in the DB core with Dom's specialty being that. Maybe K Greene will step up after Dom leaves and lead the charge, I really like what I hear out of camp from players about this guy.
normallylikeyell ow

Altoona, PA

#28 Jul 15, 2009
Dom Capers didn't have to "turn around" Jason Taylor, he already was the best at his position. But yes if we play better D we should win more often. Wouldn't hurt to cover some kickoffs too. Crosby had 4 solo tackles, which means 24 points saved. I haven't checked, but I bet that leads the league. Greene seems like he would be a good coach, personality-wise. He just needs some experience. Mike Trgovac is the best coach we added imo: good coordinator, younger, and has coached in Green Bay before, knows Mac, etc. He would be the more logical successor.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#29 Jul 15, 2009
Dom Capers didn't have to "turn around" Jason Taylor, he already was the best at his position. But yes if we play better D we should win more often. Wouldn't hurt to cover some kickoffs too. Crosby had 4 solo tackles, which means 24 points saved. I haven't checked, but I bet that leads the league. Greene seems like he would be a good coach, personality-wise. He just needs some experience. Mike Trgovac is the best coach we added imo: good coordinator, younger, and has coached in Green Bay before, knows Mac, etc. He would be the more logical successor.
Yes, Greene does need experience and boy will he get it this year! Yes our kickoff coverage hurt us in many games, and was a part of a few losses. I believe that Houston game was an example of that.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#30 Jul 15, 2009
I like our chances this year, it's nice not to have a media circus in Green Bay but to have it in Minnesota this time. We can quietly go about our business unlike the pressure Minnesota and Chicago will have this year.
normallylikeyell ow

Bellwood, PA

#32 Jul 16, 2009
A lot is going to happen before we play San Francisco. But I like your guess, Wal.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#33 Jul 16, 2009
more like the other way around
normallylikeyell ow

United States

#34 Jul 16, 2009
Really? It's impossible to say. Jimmy Raye is going to bring in some run-focused West Coast hybrid--and Gore is terrific, but I don't know... I respect the hell out of Mike Singletary and think he will be a coach for a long time, but the offense is drafted around Norv Turner and Mike McCarthy and Mike Martz. No wonder it's a mess--those systems are all different. If they develop some continuity out there and injuries fall right, maybe they beat us. But I think they are going to have to fly in here and play at noon and whip us. At home I like our chances.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#35 Jul 16, 2009
Really? It's impossible to say. Jimmy Raye is going to bring in some run-focused West Coast hybrid--and Gore is terrific, but I don't know... I respect the hell out of Mike Singletary and think he will be a coach for a long time, but the offense is drafted around Norv Turner and Mike McCarthy and Mike Martz. No wonder it's a mess--those systems are all different. If they develop some continuity out there and injuries fall right, maybe they beat us. But I think they are going to have to fly in here and play at noon and whip us. At home I like our chances.
Without a consistent QB I don't think their running game will be as good as advertised, although Gore is a beast. Their D on the other hand is very solid up the middle.
normallylikeyell ow

United States

#36 Jul 16, 2009
Oh... your post (above) seemed to suggest a SF victory. Or perhaps you are predisposed to disagree with ol' NLY? No need to go there on this one. Appreciate your Pack passion always.
jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#37 Jul 17, 2009
Oh... your post (above) seemed to suggest a SF victory. Or perhaps you are predisposed to disagree with ol' NLY? No need to go there on this one. Appreciate your Pack passion always.
No, just stating some opinions on the 49ers. My post above says I disagree with Wal 27-10 49er victory, I was a lttle confused by your guys agreement on that statemment, that is all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alex Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chiefs move up, take QB Patrick Mahomes 10th ov... Fri Overall pharts 2
News Starting with Bears, surprises galore on Day 1 ... Fri Galore pharts 2
News Twitter Tuesday: Chiefs anger, paranoia, depres... (Jan '14) Feb '17 Another Phart 4
News Chiefs Lose to the Bucs: The Good, The Bad, and... Nov '16 The Deflator 1
News Where will Colin Kaepernick land in 2016? (Feb '16) Feb '16 Fart news 2
News How the Chiefs can upset Tom Brady and the Patr... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 2
News Chiefs fans turn NRG Stadium into Arrowhead south (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 6
More from around the web