Goin' camping | High school football:...

Goin' camping | High school football: Plenty of cool things to reme...

There are 5 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Aug 19, 2010, titled Goin' camping | High school football: Plenty of cool things to reme.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Editor's note: As the 2010 high school football season approached, Dispatch sports reporter Mark Znidar took an inside look at training camps in central Ohio.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Publius

Columbus, OH

#1 Aug 19, 2010
Mark, Outstanding coverage once again. Thanks for doing that thing you do and for loving it so much. It is much appreciated.
needs more fb

Columbus, OH

#3 Aug 19, 2010
Another great series. Why these stories aren't in the newspaper is beyond me. I guess writing about another minor league hockey player the blue jackets signed or a tennis tourney in cincy is more important.
cosmo

Hilliard, OH

#4 Aug 19, 2010
Great artoicles- dont forget about an article about Gay Softball, really why would anyone care?
ohiostudent

Columbus, OH

#5 Aug 19, 2010
I do not mean this to be a personal criticism of the excellent young men described in the article, but this treatment of the subject of HS football is telling of everything that goes wrong in our high schools. Athletes are put on a pedestal, glorified, and athletic achievement is made equal in importance to academic progress. Football players "never complain" and represent the best in our youth, according to common wisdom. When will the time come for other forms of student achievement (artistic, academic, scientific?)to be presented in such an elegiac tone? We need to get our priorities set in education. The purpose to schools is to teach students, not to train them to be athletes. As we idealize student athletes, children and teenagers in other developed are overtaking us in school performance. How do they do it? There, schools do not focus on athletics and put schooling first (most don't even have school-sponsored sports!).
Big Daddy

Columbus, OH

#6 Aug 19, 2010
ohiostudent wrote:
I do not mean this to be a personal criticism of the excellent young men described in the article, but this treatment of the subject of HS football is telling of everything that goes wrong in our high schools. Athletes are put on a pedestal, glorified, and athletic achievement is made equal in importance to academic progress. Football players "never complain" and represent the best in our youth, according to common wisdom. When will the time come for other forms of student achievement (artistic, academic, scientific?)to be presented in such an elegiac tone? We need to get our priorities set in education. The purpose to schools is to teach students, not to train them to be athletes. As we idealize student athletes, children and teenagers in other developed are overtaking us in school performance. How do they do it? There, schools do not focus on athletics and put schooling first (most don't even have school-sponsored sports!).
Let me guess....you weren't athletic enough to make any of the sports teams at your school and thats what triggered this non-sense!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albert Haynesworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Goin' camping | High school football: At Northl... (Aug '10) Sep '12 morningwood 15
News Haynesworth released by Buccaneers (Feb '12) Aug '12 musky 8
News Rumor Control: Albert Haynesworth Will Not Be A... (Feb '12) Feb '12 TexasRaider 1
News Michael Vick Tops List of Most Disliked NFL Pla... (Nov '11) Nov '11 CON-vick-T 58
News Jets not interested in DT Albert Haynesworth af... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Teddy Brewski 17
News Patriots vs. Dolphins: Chad Henne Ready to Take... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Loftyfarts 10
News Haynesworth, Bush, Kolb headed to new teams (Jul '11) Aug '11 Coach Bill Beliph... 4
More from around the web