Green Bay Packers 2009 Draft Preview

Apr 7, 2009 Full story: WFRV-TV Green Bay 36

Job number one for the Packers as soon as their 2008 careened to a disappointing close was overhauling the defense.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#1 Apr 7, 2009
Why do the Packers need to draft any defensive players? Ted Thompson has done such an amazing job of drafting superstars and creating quality depth. Plus Ted and Mike McCarthy have overseen the stupendous growth and development of 4 years of acquisitions. Combined with the brilliant hiring of a new defensive coordinator and the switch to the 3-4, the Packer defense has no needs and will be greatly improved. Ted Thompson has said, and I quote, that he is completely satisfied with the roster "as is."

What kind of idiot would disagree with Ted Thompson? Doesn't he know that Ted was named Executive of the Year by the Sporting News? How can he be unaware that his colleagues, sports writers, the smartest people on planet Earth, have declared Ted "the chosen one." Wow, Ted is going to make him look soooooooo foolish!
eric

Arpin, WI

#2 Apr 7, 2009
Hey when Ted drafts me,then we have to worry!
packerhacker

Carpentersville, IL

#3 Apr 7, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
Why do the Packers need to draft any defensive players? Ted Thompson has done such an amazing job of drafting superstars and creating quality depth. Plus Ted and Mike McCarthy have overseen the stupendous growth and development of 4 years of acquisitions. Combined with the brilliant hiring of a new defensive coordinator and the switch to the 3-4, the Packer defense has no needs and will be greatly improved. Ted Thompson has said, and I quote, that he is completely satisfied with the roster "as is."
What kind of idiot would disagree with Ted Thompson? Doesn't he know that Ted was named Executive of the Year by the Sporting News? How can he be unaware that his colleagues, sports writers, the smartest people on planet Earth, have declared Ted "the chosen one." Wow, Ted is going to make him look soooooooo foolish!
ALL of which amounted to a 6-10 team!!!!
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#4 Apr 8, 2009
I believe GB will select Maybin in the 1st round. I say that for a number of reasons, he fills a need on the defense, is a good character guy, and is the kind of player TT likes to draft. This guy has all the physical tools to be an excellent outside linebacker who can put pressure on the QB and compliment Kampman on the other side. With Hawk and Barnett inside, we would be in good shape at LB. We have to hope Pickett can hold up at NT although, maybe we find a good one in the 3rd round because I believe we will take a tackle in the 2nd. We have another 3rd round pick and I could see a TE or DE taken. Maybin will start day one amking an impact and the tackle could start also. The NT would fill in for Pickett. TT needs to have a quality draft and Maybin fits the bill of a high character, gifted talent we need on defense.
answerman

Appleton, WI

#5 Apr 8, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
I believe GB will select Maybin in the 1st round.
Possibly... but not at #9. Come draft day, that pick will belong to the Broncos so that they can draft Mark Sanchez before the 49ers grab him. I've never had such a strong feeling that Ted was going to trade down as I do this year.

The only way I see the Packers keeping their pick is if by some chance Brian Orakpo slips to #9, or if the Broncos engineer a trade higher up (Jacksonville is a possibility at #8, and KC at #3 though I don't think the Broncos want to pay the price to move up that far).

Just an armchair quarterback like the rest of you guys, but this is the big rumor going around
eric

Arpin, WI

#6 Apr 8, 2009
I still think its Smith the LT,but,its Antone SMith from Alabama as Larry will be gone at 2
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#7 Apr 9, 2009
Answerman; you could be right about trading down, but TT better be careful and not screw himself out of an impact player. I believe we will stay clear of Smith because he has had some issues and was terrible at the combine. I don't think even TT would reach to take him because he's gotten so much bad press. Tackle is a big need area and no doubt one of these 1-3 picks will be to address it, but we need more help on defense and a guy like Maybin would be an excellent choice who we could plug in from day one.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#8 Apr 9, 2009
People keep saying that the defense will be vastly improved with the 3-4 scheme. I've been told that Capers is going to fix the Defense. Wouldn't it be wiser to sign an offensive lineman, a TE or a durable running back? Perhaps the #1 pick should be traded for a veteran backup at QB?
jeremy

Barney, ND

#9 Apr 9, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
People keep saying that the defense will be vastly improved with the 3-4 scheme. I've been told that Capers is going to fix the Defense. Wouldn't it be wiser to sign an offensive lineman, a TE or a durable running back? Perhaps the #1 pick should be traded for a veteran backup at QB?
Maybe we can get Favre to backup,LOL.This draft is loaded with hybrid LB's/DE's, we need one of these guys,Capers will have some input on that.I like what I saw out of Jermichael the little he played. We do need another running back though.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#10 Apr 12, 2009
Ted Thompson should move down in the draft. It looks much better if multiple low round draft picks fail to pan out, than if a top ten pick busts.
Tstreich

Glen Allen, VA

#11 Apr 14, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
I believe GB will select Maybin in the 1st round. I say that for a number of reasons, he fills a need on the defense, is a good character guy, and is the kind of player TT likes to draft. This guy has all the physical tools to be an excellent outside linebacker who can put pressure on the QB and compliment Kampman on the other side. With Hawk and Barnett inside, we would be in good shape at LB. We have to hope Pickett can hold up at NT although, maybe we find a good one in the 3rd round because I believe we will take a tackle in the 2nd. We have another 3rd round pick and I could see a TE or DE taken. Maybin will start day one amking an impact and the tackle could start also. The NT would fill in for Pickett. TT needs to have a quality draft and Maybin fits the bill of a high character, gifted talent we need on defense.
well stated. Your thoughts make sense. I also feel that they'll look for a OT with a high pick but will address the defensive front 7 first It's nice to read a blog from someone who's not an idiot.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#12 Apr 14, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
What? Do you think you know more than TT? What if he picks someone else? Is he an idiot then? What if they play well? If he picks Maybin and he is a bust, is TT still a genius?
eric

Arpin, WI

#13 Apr 14, 2009
iwas reading where the guy stated the Packers should take Maybin,then he went on to mention some d end ,then another d end i never heard of,then he mentioned Raji,there is nothing like naming 8 guys or so when your picking 9th.

Hell if there are holes Ted could trade down as SF is looking for and there are 3 teams looking also,so maybe drop to 12-14th pick and grab a 3rd.The Packers need quality bodies.starters are for the most part good,but,depth can be better and if Ted doesnt want to sign FA,then he better pile in the draft picks and hope he hits on almost all of them.
normallylikeyell ow

Osceola Mills, PA

#14 Apr 16, 2009
If you pick at 9, then you take a guy you know can start (cause you are going to pay him like one--A.J. Hawk) regardless of position. That's why, as crazy as it sounds, I think taking a WR like Maclin or Heyward-Bey or RB Beanie Wells Knowshon Moreno, orat least making it known that we might. There are good teams that want those guys and we don't necessarily need them. The value of the pick is either in ONE impact player or ITS VALUE to someone else, which might mean an extra prospect. There are good DTs and hybrid guys that we can take in round 2 or late round 1 and not pay that kind of money. (I say all of this accepting that we are cheap) No need to pay top dollar unless we know a guy will be in there.
John Jacobson

Hancock, MI

#15 Apr 16, 2009
GBPfan wrote:
Ted Thompson should move down in the draft. It looks much better if multiple low round draft picks fail to pan out, than if a top ten pick busts.
I agree, if they can get someone to deal with they might be better off by trading down.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#16 Apr 17, 2009
normallylikeyellow wrote:
If you pick at 9, then you take a guy you know can start (cause you are going to pay him like one--A.J. Hawk) regardless of position. That's why, as crazy as it sounds, I think taking a WR like Maclin or Heyward-Bey or RB Beanie Wells Knowshon Moreno, orat least making it known that we might. There are good teams that want those guys and we don't necessarily need them. The value of the pick is either in ONE impact player or ITS VALUE to someone else, which might mean an extra prospect. There are good DTs and hybrid guys that we can take in round 2 or late round 1 and not pay that kind of money.(I say all of this accepting that we are cheap) No need to pay top dollar unless we know a guy will be in there.
I agree that TT should draft for quality, not need. This is for his own good. If the Packers end up with a position with exceptional depth, TT can then try to fill a need or needs through trades for proven players. In any event, I believe TT has left the Packers in a condition where he needs to hit this draft out of the park.
answerman

Neenah, WI

#17 Apr 17, 2009
normallylikeyellow wrote:
That's why, as crazy as it sounds, I think taking a WR like Maclin or Heyward-Bey or RB Beanie Wells...
Interestingly enough, and to use your terminology "as crazy as it sounds"...

TT has built a reputation on taking the player that the Packers have rated as the best player, regardless of position or the team's needs (that's how they ended up with Jordy Nelson last year). If I had to guess at a wildcard draft pick at #9 (assuming they don't trade down) I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Packers pick Beanie Wells. There's actually been quite a bit of talk about this on other draft forums. Just putting this on this board for posterity, in case it actually happens so I can say I was right...
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#18 Apr 17, 2009
You guys are right, TT is tough to figure out. Wow, Beanie Wells; wouldn't that be something. I've written that I hope it's Raji (if available) or Maybin, but Wells wouldn't surprise me!!! I will say this, I can't believe they think all the pieces are in place on the defense. Wells would be a big gamble especially if the defense sucks again. I just figured TT would concentrate on the "D" during the draft other than maybe a tackle and TE.
GBPfan

Colorado Springs, CO

#19 Apr 17, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
You guys are right, TT is tough to figure out. Wow, Beanie Wells; wouldn't that be something. I've written that I hope it's Raji (if available) or Maybin, but Wells wouldn't surprise me!!! I will say this, I can't believe they think all the pieces are in place on the defense. Wells would be a big gamble especially if the defense sucks again. I just figured TT would concentrate on the "D" during the draft other than maybe a tackle and TE.
I'm sure TT will concentrate on defense, but he tends to draft better when taking the best available player versus trying to fill a need.
eric

Chili, WI

#20 Apr 17, 2009
wal0645 wrote:
Beanie Wells,can you say Cedric Benson?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

AJ Hawk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Green Bay Packers Have Future Star in Ha Ha Cli... Sep 15 Giggle Dix 22
5 Storylines To Follow During Green Bay Packers... Jun '14 GBPfan 34
Linebacker A.J. Hawk, An Ordained Minister, Pre... Apr '14 Sausage Snips 3
2014 Mock Draft: SBNation Projects Green Bay Pa... (Jan '14) Feb '14 eric 43
Fixing the Green Bay Packers Defense Must Start... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reggie 2
Green Bay Packers defense: Can they finally sto... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
AJ Hawk Green Bay Packers Photo Credit: bsblver... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
•••
•••

AJ Hawk People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••