McCarthy pleased with Packers' transi...

McCarthy pleased with Packers' transition to 3-4

There are 4 comments on the CBS SportsLine story from Jun 18, 2009, titled McCarthy pleased with Packers' transition to 3-4. In it, CBS SportsLine reports that:

After watching their defense fritter away too many leads last season, the Green Bay Packers are knee-deep in a major transition.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS SportsLine.

jeremy

Mooreton, ND

#1 Jun 18, 2009
I really think Nick Collins is going to suffer not learning this D the way other d players have, and that worries me a little. I am encouraged to see Matthews and Hawk talk about how they are comfortable in this system. We may have a very solid linebacking core this year, which is key to stopping the run in this system.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#2 Jun 18, 2009
I would think the coach would have to openly say this seeing as how he played a role in making this change. I believe it will be a change for the good and this defense will surprise a bunch of folks. You look at the players on the defense and they should have a nice unit. By adding two key drafted players who will play day one along with this "dream team" coaching staff assembled; it will make things very interesting. Everyone knows about Capers and what he can do, but what about also bringing in the Panthers DC to coach the line, Kevin Green to work with the linebackers, and Darren Perry to teach the secondary. These changes will produce results and if GB were to get it's "D" together, then this becomes a very potent football team. Offensively with Rodgers in his 2nd year, the WR corps, Grant and this pounder FB they drafted, and the o-line; the team will score it's share of points.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

#3 Jun 18, 2009
Totally agree about Collins and the learning curve he faces. It could be tough going for him and missing all that time will not help him any. This is another reason why GB took a chance on Smith based on Perry's recommendation. I believe Smith knows here is a golden opportunity to get quality playing time that he would not get in Pittsburgh. Perry has worked with this guy for two years and he knows the system. Collins couldn't have picked a worse time to start missing stuff; what the hell was his agent thinking? We'll just have to see how much he can grasp. I look at the linebackers and see three #1 picks along with a pro bowler, then you throw in a nasty guy like coach Kevin Greene.
eric

Denmark, WI

#4 Jun 18, 2009
You would have to think Anthony Smith will get the starting nod through out the whole beginning of camp and you are right Collins couldn't have had worse timing,and Smith will carry the weight until Collins gets the system down.I do agree the coaching staff will be tremendous and if there is a bad season and its MM job,Capers is a built in replacement.I also agree that with the staff they have and the LB in hand the defense will be much better,its just a matter of when it comes together if its early,the season should go well,if its later,it will be to late for the playoffs,but,a great set up for the 10 season,although -09 should be a good year,AR in his 2nd season should be better and the defense being run with different looks,should be interesting

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

AJ Hawk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News AJ Hawk to retire with the Green Bay Packers Apr '17 Packers phart 4
News Green Bay Packers Mock Draft 2.0: Full 7-Round ... (Feb '15) Feb '15 eric 2
News Green Bay Packers Rumors: Releasing A.J. Hawk I... (Feb '15) Feb '15 GBPmies 2
News Packers trying to get Randall Cobb signed (Feb '15) Feb '15 GBPmies 1
News Green Bay Packers: The Curious Case of A.J. Hawk (Dec '14) Dec '14 Peterson Ph D 2
News Green Bay Packers Have Future Star in Ha Ha Cli... (Jun '14) Sep '14 Giggle Dix 22
News 5 Storylines To Follow During Green Bay Packers... (May '14) Jun '14 GBPfan 34
More from around the web