ESPN's Tirico Intrigued By '09 Packers

Aug 6, 2009 | Posted by: Proball5 | Full story: www.packers.com

Tirico was the guest speaker in the Packers' team meeting early Wednesday afternoon before the players were dismissed for their first rest-and-recovery day of training camp.

At least it wasn't Cornhusker visiting Packerland.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Aug 7, 2009

“Go Pack Go”

Since: Jun 07

Stevens Point, Wisconsin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

i think the Defense is going to surprise alot of people this year.
eric

Monroe, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

the talent is there and now the brain is there,Someone who knows how to run a defense.Different looks and blitzes not the same old defensive game plan,one plan fits all scheme.
arden

Evansville, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

i think its going to take time to get the neccary players to fit the d fence
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

I'm beginning to believe this defense will shape up quickly. There is a lot talent there and they seem to be getting it. The secondary is very deep, Greene seems to have these LB's playing very aggressive, and when Raji comes on board, the interior line should be pretty good. Hell, Harrell is even practicing and looking half-way decent. I have no worries about the offense as the biggest question mark is the line and there is some talent there to work with. This is shaping up to be a very solid team, barring major injuries. I know many would argue how can a 6-10 team look that solid, so they need to prove themselves on the field and i believe they will.
eric

Monroe, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Miami went from 1-15 to winning the div.so anything is possible.6-10 sucks but 7 loses by 4pts or less means we were in alot of games and a new defense without typical we know whats coming defensive calls might mean the difference in 3 of 4 of those games and with a year under AR belt,that might mean a game of 2 and now that Grant is healthy unlike last years training camp,maybe he can be more productive.
jeremy

Barney, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

It is exciting to see this new look D, but don't be disappointed if it struggles early, but I think you guys know that already. Did anyone see the video on ESPN.com about the Pack? Mort was saying that Dom is the biggest FA pick up this off season that no one is talking about, I agree, and I would add K. Greene to the mix also, our LB's struggled last year, and I expect big things from them this year.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

All I can say is I saw first hand how Greene was in these LB guy's faces and they will be more aggressive I have no doubt. Our secondary is real good and most would not dispute that. We could have a nice combination at interior line with backups Jolly, Harrell, and Montgomery. Remember in addition to Capers we also have the Panthers DC from the past 5-6 years, so there is a lot of coaching talent there which is way better than where we were. I just feel with the coaching and players on this defense that the new scheme will translate to a vastly improved D.

“Harvin ROY 2009”

Since: Apr 09

Franklin, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

Judged:

An unbiased fan/viewer of the game would respectively disagree with your previous assumptions for this current Green Bay Packers squad.

First off, GB's most recent Top 5 Draft pick is looking more and more like a bust. Granted, AJ Hawk's tackle totals have been nice; thus far hes been less than stellar. Playing to a level where guys like Desmond Bishop. Brandon Chillar, and Jeremy Thompson have buried you on the GB depth chart. Don't think for a second that this fact entitles GB a source of depth. Bishop, Chillar and Thompson would have troubling starting on over 3/4's of the rest of the league OUTSIDE of GB. Did I mention thats he looks absolutely lost in the new 3-4 scheme?

Next, Aaron Kampman, the only legitimate Pass Rusher GB has had in years is completely dissatisfied and also looks like "frankenstein" out there in coverage. I cant imagine ONE TE in the NFL not salivating for the huge game they will likely have with Kampman covering him.

Also, you showed love for GB's secondary? Have you realized yet that Al Harris, who is a bump n r corner, also looks ridiculously lost in the new 3-4 DEF schemes.

“Harvin ROY 2009”

Since: Apr 09

Franklin, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

Judged:

Also, I assumed I didnt have to mention Shaun Alex- OH i meant Ryan Grant completely underachieveing after recovering a very generous contract.

And the O-Line? PLEASEEEE.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

I disagree that Grant had a bad year in 2008; it just wasn't up to what some thought. He did rush for the same totals as the guy in Chicago (around 1,200 yds). There were a combination of things whereby these totals would have been even higher; the early holdout followed by leg injury, and the line was a little shaky (I believe the QB sacks allowed were higher than in previous years). If the line doesn't open the holes, then it takes a special RB to create like an AP, who will get his. I am thinking the line will play better in 2009 and Grant should have a nice year. At 26 he still has a few good years left.
wal0645

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

Judged:

Also, I was at camp this week and Al Harris does not look lost. I would also say that Tramon Williams looks pretty good and Collins has looked very good. I saw the one-on-ones matching the corners with the WR's and although Driver did burn Al one time, he has held his own. Remember that GB probably has the best tandem of WR's in the league and Rodgers is no joke at QB (very accurate). Woodson is just a player, one of the best in the league.
jeremy

Barney, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2009

wal0645 wrote:
I disagree that Grant had a bad year in 2008; it just wasn't up to what some thought. He did rush for the same totals as the guy in Chicago (around 1,200 yds). There were a combination of things whereby these totals would have been even higher; the early holdout followed by leg injury, and the line was a little shaky (I believe the QB sacks allowed were higher than in previous years). If the line doesn't open the holes, then it takes a special RB to create like an AP, who will get his. I am thinking the line will play better in 2009 and Grant should have a nice year. At 26 he still has a few good years left.
I'm not worried about grant, if he turns out to be anything like Alexander, who by the way was an MVP, I'll be extremely happy. RB's are a dime a dozen, if he fails there will be somebody to fill that spot.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

AJ Hawk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Green Bay Packers Have Future Star in Ha Ha Cli... Jun '14 Pat 2
5 Storylines To Follow During Green Bay Packers... Jun '14 GBPfan 34
Linebacker A.J. Hawk, An Ordained Minister, Pre... Apr '14 Sausage Snips 3
2014 Mock Draft: SBNation Projects Green Bay Pa... (Jan '14) Feb '14 eric 43
Fixing the Green Bay Packers Defense Must Start... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Reggie 2
Green Bay Packers defense: Can they finally sto... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
AJ Hawk Green Bay Packers Photo Credit: bsblver... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Laughing Bear Fan 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

AJ Hawk People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••