Packers cut DB Carroll

Packers cut DB Carroll

There are 48 comments on the WHP-TV Harrisburg story from Oct 3, 2006, titled Packers cut DB Carroll. In it, WHP-TV Harrisburg reports that:

The Green Bay Packers released cornerback and former first-round pick Ahmad Carroll on Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHP-TV Harrisburg.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
PackerBacker

Chetek, WI

#1 Oct 3, 2006
After his first year in the league I though this guy was going to be something special even though he got flaged and beat a lot but most rookies do. His second year came and the same thing, and now his third year and he is still playing like a rookie. There has got to be a time to draw the line and I guess this was it.
Fusion2k

Lisle, IL

#2 Oct 3, 2006
No progress No job
BigHuh

White City, OR

#3 Oct 3, 2006
This was a very, very necessary cut. How many points have been scored by opponents after drives were extended by Ahmad Carroll penalties or Ahmad Carroll getting burned once again for a touchdown. You can't let the rest of the defense deflate when they work so hard and one guy keeps blowing it.

Now that the offense will be on the field more, let's do something more than four of the same runs when we get a red zone gift! Where's that West Coast variety?
Packer fan forever

Phoenix, AZ

#4 Oct 3, 2006
I like the direction the organization showed by cutting AC. He just didn't have it. Let the young ones play and hopefully we will find another Willie Wood or Herb Aderly!
Norton

Beaver Dam, WI

#5 Oct 3, 2006
The d-backs are now younger..
They have (2) with 9 yrs,(1) with 5 yrs,(2) with 2 yrs and the rest are rookies..Ouch!
Matt

Eagle River, WI

#6 Oct 3, 2006
According to the coach, Jarrett Bush & Patrick Denby are going to get a chance to play.
Bill

Random Lake, WI

#7 Oct 4, 2006
I like the move just because it shows other players that if they don't perform don't be surprised if they get cut. It's pretty rare that a player gets cut during the season but this shows that the organization is not afraid to cut a guy if he doesn't preform. Obviously the coaches had seen something out of Blackmon and must be expecting him to contribute once he gets back from injury.
Bryan

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Oct 4, 2006
"Obviously the coaches had seen something out of Blackmon and must be expecting him to contribute once he gets back from injury."

Not necessarily my friend. It may have been just that Carroll was SO BAD, and a detriment to the team, that they had no other choice to release him.
PackerBacker

Chetek, WI

#9 Oct 4, 2006
Norton wrote:
The d-backs are now younger..
They have (2) with 9 yrs,(1) with 5 yrs,(2) with 2 yrs and the rest are rookies..Ouch!
I dont think that really matter because Carrol plays just like a rookie.
Bill

Random Lake, WI

#10 Oct 4, 2006
The reason teh organization kept Carroll around during the preseason was because he was the 3rd best corner they had on the roster, obviously he regressed and some other player has stepped up just a little. The reason I bring up Blackmon's name is that they kept him on the team for a reason even though he was injured and he is close to coming back so losing Carroll doesn't hurt the team. After the past few games Carroll actually hurt the team more than he helped, I thought that if he would be the 3rd DB that he would improve but the way it looks he is as good as he's going to be and leave it up to Sherman to draft a not very talented player high in the draft. Considering the team that Thompson inherited I think he is doing an excellent job, imagine the team we would have if Thompson would have inherited the team that Wolf put together and build from that team.
Norton

Beaver Dam, WI

#11 Oct 4, 2006
Mike isn't going to stand for unreliable play, he stated they watch players closely in practice and if the are underachivers they won't be playing for him..
Now I hope he will keep doing this and even with his coaches if need be..
Harris,Manuel,Collins & Woodson need to make sure they help whoever...
People keep saying the players need to get on the same page, I think they better check to see if they have the same book!
Mark

United States

#12 Oct 4, 2006
Is anyone going to pick up AC?
Packer Destiny

United States

#14 Oct 4, 2006
Mark wrote:
Yeah, by the Texans I'm sure.
Matt

Eagle River, WI

#15 Oct 4, 2006
Probably, he is only 23 or 24 years old and he has natural talent. He is fast, a good tackler, good on special teams, and as long as he is neither a starter or on the second team he has value. If he ever matures, he may be able to do better than that, but that is a big IF.
Mark wrote:
Matt

Eagle River, WI

#16 Oct 4, 2006
You are probably right Bryan. Blackmon is still injured and the 2 guys who will now get a chance to play are also rookies (Denby & Bush), although Denby spent some time with the team last season. I think after they saw such poor play from a third year CB they just gave up and fired him. His irritating personality didn't help either.
Bryan wrote:
"Obviously the coaches had seen something out of Blackmon and must be expecting him to contribute once he gets back from injury."
Not necessarily my friend. It may have been just that Carroll was SO BAD, and a detriment to the team, that they had no other choice to release him.
KEEP ON CUTTIN

Chicago, IL

#17 Oct 4, 2006
ONE DOWN ThREE TO GO & 1 ON THE BUBBLE!
#1 - KURT SCHOTTENHEIMER: OUR DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD SUCKED THE PREVIOUS TIME YOU WERE IN GREEN BAY... AND LOOK AT THAT IT SUCKS AGAIN! AND YOU EVEN HAVE BETTER PLAYERS TO CHOOSE FROM! MAYBE YOU CAN FETCH SODAS FOR YOUR BROTHER IN SAN DIEGO!
#2 - ROBERT FERGUSON - Four words for you: AHMAD CARROLL OF OFFENSE!!!
#3 - DAVID MARTIN, you're still a Packer?
People need to wake up and realize that the defensive backfield is NOT entirely to blame. You want to blame somebody, blame the FRONT four, even the front seven.
In the NFL, everything starts at the Quarterback. YOU MUST GET THERE!!! The Packers down lineman cannot do it most of the time, even blitzing linebackers!
The funny thing is that I am not even talking about sacks! I am talking about just pressuring the QB!
KGB is our only useful guy up front. Kampman is a hard worker but WAY too small to be any team's starting power end! The only way he usually gets to the quarterback is if a tight-end covers him or the opponent's play just runs too long...I don't even want to bring up the sad state of our interior linemen...1 maybe 2 sacks in the whole group!!!
At least two more years of losing...
Mike Sherman really F***** this team up!
Good for you Ted Thompson! You made my day!
Production is everyting

Viola, WI

#18 Oct 4, 2006
I agree with cutting #28 he was far from adequate. I agree with a previuos comment that Schitinheimer needs to also be replaced. I about crapped when they hired him back. WHY? Leroy Butler would be at least the same if not better secondary coach give him a chance.
Packer fan forever

Phoenix, AZ

#19 Oct 4, 2006
My vote is for Leroy Butler ... reward the guy with a chance ... he put in many quality years and deserves the opportunity.
Atlking

Phenix City, AL

#20 Oct 4, 2006
THEY FIRED Ahmad ? What about Farve????? He is old and washed up. The only reason they keep him around is because of his name!!! AC will get another job on a different team, but GB seriously needs another QB!!!!
Matt

Eagle River, WI

#21 Oct 4, 2006
He is our best chance for winning, Rodgers is not ready and may never be ready.
Atlking wrote:
THEY FIRED Ahmad ? What about Farve????? He is old and washed up. The only reason they keep him around is because of his name!!! AC will get another job on a different team, but GB seriously needs another QB!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ahmad Carroll Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jets' Clowney embraces humanitarian missions (May '10) May '10 Bullfarts 2
News Jets linebacker David Harris declares he's 'rea... (Dec '08) Dec '08 Funny 3
News Jets face big test in covering Cards' top WRs (Sep '08) Sep '08 ali djoo 1
News Favre, Franks reunited with Jets (Aug '08) Aug '08 Dorsey Levens 2
News Gruden wants Carroll to step up (Mar '08) Jul '08 New Yorker 8
News Jets sign DB Carroll (Jul '08) Jul '08 New Yorker 1
News COMMENTARY: Bonds' run at Aaron taints game (Jul '07) Jul '07 TEAM ME 2
More from around the web