Big hits create bigger confusion thes...

Big hits create bigger confusion these days in NFL

There are 1 comment on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 11, 2008, titled Big hits create bigger confusion these days in NFL. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

In this Oct. 5, 2008 file photo, Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards, right, is injured as he is hit by Arizona Cardinals' Adrian Wilson in the first quarter of a football game in Glendale, Ariz.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

johndrake6

Austin, TX

#1 Nov 11, 2008
The hits --and the celebration of them-- are the main reason I only watch one game a year now.

The older and more decrepit I become, the less I enjoy watching physically gifted young men prematurely tear down their bodies. One need only look at the brain impairments sufffered by linemen, or crippled, truncated lives of Daryl Stingley and Johnny Unitas'(to name just a couple) to be aware of the implications of excessive force.

Then there's the blood curdling cheers from any sportsbar when these hits occur. I'm no milquetoast --I've had my share of fights and confrontations, but glorying in meaningless violence where the consequence can be death or permanent disability is something I can't get into.

Similarly the thuggishness the Chuck Daley Pistons brought to the NBA and the idolization of players who acted as if they would be robbing convenience stores if they didn't have contracts has diminished by ardor for professional basketball (as fond of the Spurs as I was, taking Steve Nash out during '07 playoffs was unconscionable).

I'm waiting for spring trainging: Baseball is about the only sport where both sides in essence say "You do your absolute best and I'll do mine and let's see who wins."

Unlike football where, for example, the rusher tries to hurt or harm the passer and receivers take blows designed to get in their heads, or basketball where a lay-up is often rewarded with a take-down, there are only a couple of occasions when baseball allows anything similar (runner taking out the man covering second or home).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adrian Wilson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What are the Bears getting with Adrian Wilson? (Jun '14) Jun '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
News Analyzing the New England Patriots' Most Glarin... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Laughing Bear Fan 17
News New England Patriots: 5 Surprise Players That C... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Toby 1
News Arizona Cardinals' Blueprint for Winning Free A... (Mar '13) Mar '13 alex casillas 1
News Would Adrian Wilson be a Good Fit For Dallas Co... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Delaware vet 3
News Arizona Cardinals should make big changes on 'B... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Fred Moore 1
Adrian Wilson nude (Sep '12) Sep '12 Sibyl 1
More from around the web