Vinatieri's missed field goal defuses...

Vinatieri's missed field goal defuses Colts' comeback

There are 711 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Nov 12, 2007, titled Vinatieri's missed field goal defuses Colts' comeback. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Darren Sproles became the ninth player in NFL history to return a kickoff and a punt for touchdowns in the same game Sunday night at Qualcomm Stadium, and he wasted no time.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 36
Next Last
Chargers skeptic

San Diego, CA

#1 Nov 12, 2007
Being a Chargers fan here in San Diego, I was curious to see what would be posted all over the different boards at IndyStar. I have to say that I have never read so many inane AND insane comments in the span of 10 minutes from fans who not only CAN'T write, but who also make NO sense and show the maturity of spoiled 6-year olds.

For you fans in Colts and Patriot nation, Chargers fans would trade places with you any day of the week if we could. You are ALL SPOILED ROTTEN. The Pats are 9-0 and the Colts and 7-2 and you're either CRYING or BRAGGING in EXCESS -- when the only thing that matters is the PLAYOFFS!

My Chargers have done zero, zip, nada -- have never won an NFL championship -- and tonight won a REGULAR SEASON GAME despite horrible play from our out-of-rhythm-this-entire-seas on-and-very-overrated offense. Who CARES about regular season records? The point of the regular season is to post enough wins to make the playoffs and to determine numerical seedings. That's it.

LaDainian Tomlinson tonight said there was nothing proud about the win, that his offense had no part of the victory and that the Chargers' special teams play -- combined with the Colts' many injuries -- kept things close, but also demonstrated how much better Indy is DESPITE playing without many starters. He's right!

What good did a 14-2 NFL best record do for San Diego last year? NOTHING!

One final thing. Vinatieri misses a field goal. It happens. If it happens in a regular season game, that's one thing. But in the playoffs, a miss is magnified many times over. So take a PILL! He's still going to the Hall of Fame. It'll likely be the Patriots and Colts in the AFC title game but come on, are things really so "slam dunk" to you all? That's why they play the damn games. Anything can happen in the playoffs, like us choking to New England here in San Diego in the first round last year after sporting a 21-13 lead with five minutes to go. Then this year, we get our a**es kicked by New England and stunk up our stadium tonight with listless play against the champs. We had no business winning tonight. And I gotta say -- Tony Dungy is the classiest coach in all of football. We just love him. No one thought the Colts would make it to the Super Bowl last year, much less WIN IT. But they did and if San Diego makes the playoffs this season, it will only be because we're in the AFC Pansy West, a pathetic division of mediocre teams. What does it matter beating the Colts tonight when as a fan, you have less than beaming confidence that your team can go DEEP in the playoffs? The Colts and Patriots are still the class of the league. The Steelers got a scare today from Cleveland and I'm still not sure about them after losing to Denver recently, but they're next best in the AFC.

So STOP CRYING.
Harlan Erickson

Renton, WA

#2 Nov 12, 2007
The Colts took drubbing number two today. The Patriots must've really rattled Peyton Manning's cage last week because you could see the lack of self-confidence on his face throughout the game against the Chargers. I can hardly wait to go into work in the morning and get what's waiting for me.
Optimism

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Nov 12, 2007
I'm not too depressed because we played a ton of backups (and backups to backups) and still should have won. That loss hurt, but I'm still feeling ok b/c I know we will be healthy come January in time to run Addai all over Foxboro.
PatsfanBob

Sarasota, FL

#8 Nov 12, 2007
Last week I said peyton looks average without a star wide receiver. I was wrong. He's below average. 6 interceptions. Tom Brady would have won that game. Oh thats right he did win that game last year against a much better Charger team. Tough loss.
EX COLTS FAN

Monon, IN

#11 Nov 12, 2007
I JUST TURNED THE GAME OFF AND REMOVED ALL MY COLTS STUFF FROM THE HOUSE. JUST WAITING FOR TRASH MAN TO HAUL THIS JUNK AWAY.
Chargers skeptic

San Diego, CA

#13 Nov 12, 2007
Hey everybody, take a look at the intelligence of every note posted by "PatsWin07."

As I wrote elsewhere, even though he's missed the point of my posts, he has demonstrated it brilliantly with his very arrogance.

To "PatsWin07" --

I bet you're a hit with the Patriots organization. Mr. Kraft and Coach Bill would want you out there, front and center with your class-less bragging.

Coach Bill himself would love your trash talk and adore you like his child. The Patriots' players are classy but fans like you make the world root against you. Not only are you a know-it-all, you're in love with making childish predictions. Oh yeah, that's another Coach Bill tactic. NOT.

Read my posts more carefully and then take a Xanax or some meds, whatever. Store up your energy for the Super Bowl. You ARE favored, of course. Anything less is unacceptable, right? Coach Bill is making no such predictions. As silent as he is toward fans and to the press, he's a great motivator and hates show-boating. So in my view, you're a poor representative of Patriot Nation.

P.S.-- Seriously, I think "PatsWin07" should get some counseling. He reminds me of the type of fan who literally can't function just before or after a game. Or more to the point, he can't think or express himself intelligently before or after a game. We all like to scream our heads off during games, but even in Patriot Nation, most appear to be pretty sane to me as they savor each win with satisfaction.(As they should.) People like "PatsWin07" transform Patriots fans into the football equivalent of New York Yankees fans. Before long, he'll have every NFL fan rooting against the Patriots. I still remember the Pats spectacular first Super Bowl win against the Rams. After the second and third, I still felt their fans were classy. "PatsWin07" brings out the worst in Patriot Nation. Somebody call a cop, "PatsWin07" does not represent the attitude of the New England Patriot organization or its fan base.

Now here's "PatsWin07's" turn to tell me to "stick it."
Rik Smits

Apo, AE

#14 Nov 12, 2007
Everyone is entitled to a bad game. Even as bad as Manning and the offense played they were in it up to the very end. Colts Defense played inspired ball! I will take 7-2 over 0-9 (see Miami) any day.
Train

Whiting, IN

#15 Nov 12, 2007
EX COLTS FAN wrote:
I JUST TURNED THE GAME OFF AND REMOVED ALL MY COLTS STUFF FROM THE HOUSE. JUST WAITING FOR TRASH MAN TO HAUL THIS JUNK AWAY.
Yep, this is the typical Colts fan. Outside of my brother, I don't think I've met a true-blue Colts fan, even though I met hundreds who claim to be. Ex Colts Fan, you better go grab your stuff out of the garbage. It'll be expensive replacing it all when you get back on the bandwagon after the Colts win next week.
Train

Whiting, IN

#16 Nov 12, 2007
patswin07 wrote:
Patriots got rid of Vinatieri just in time.
BB IS an evil genius.
COLTS = CHEATERS!!!
PATRIOTS, 19-0. BOOK IT.
EAT IT, SHULA.
I'm not a Colts fan, just a Bears fan in a Colts city. However, I am a huge supporter of the NFL as an organization. I think it's funny that you call the Colts cheaters. After the Colts alledged cheating incident, the NFL and CBS released statements that there was a mistake made by CBS. There was no added sound to the Dome. The odd sound came from the broadcast. However, I do remember something about the Patriots cheating. If I remember right, and I don't think you do, the Patriots got caught cheating red-handed and were punished by the NFL. Sure you can have your oppinions, but who are you siding with, ignorant fans or the NFL? I'll just assume you'll side with ignorance.
Alan

United States

#17 Nov 12, 2007
What an awful game. I'm sure the Colts return to Indy was a dismal trip. Hopefully, the Colts can turn this around like they did last year. However, continued play like last night will keep the Colts out of the playoffs.
Alan

United States

#18 Nov 12, 2007
Chargers skeptic wrote:
Being a Chargers fan here in San Diego, I was curious to see what would be posted all over the different boards at IndyStar. I have to say that I have never read so many inane AND insane comments in the span of 10 minutes from fans who not only CAN'T write, but who also make NO sense and show the maturity of spoiled 6-year olds.
For you fans in Colts and Patriot nation, Chargers fans would trade places with you any day of the week if we could. You are ALL SPOILED ROTTEN. The Pats are 9-0 and the Colts and 7-2 and you're either CRYING or BRAGGING in EXCESS -- when the only thing that matters is the PLAYOFFS!
My Chargers have done zero, zip, nada -- have never won an NFL championship -- and tonight won a REGULAR SEASON GAME despite horrible play from our out-of-rhythm-this-entire-seas on-and-very-overrated offense. Who CARES about regular season records? The point of the regular season is to post enough wins to make the playoffs and to determine numerical seedings. That's it.
LaDainian Tomlinson tonight said there was nothing proud about the win, that his offense had no part of the victory and that the Chargers' special teams play -- combined with the Colts' many injuries -- kept things close, but also demonstrated how much better Indy is DESPITE playing without many starters. He's right!
What good did a 14-2 NFL best record do for San Diego last year? NOTHING!
One final thing. Vinatieri misses a field goal. It happens. If it happens in a regular season game, that's one thing. But in the playoffs, a miss is magnified many times over. So take a PILL! He's still going to the Hall of Fame. It'll likely be the Patriots and Colts in the AFC title game but come on, are things really so "slam dunk" to you all? That's why they play the damn games. Anything can happen in the playoffs, like us choking to New England here in San Diego in the first round last year after sporting a 21-13 lead with five minutes to go. Then this year, we get our a**es kicked by New England and stunk up our stadium tonight with listless play against the champs. We had no business winning tonight. And I gotta say -- Tony Dungy is the classiest coach in all of football. We just love him. No one thought the Colts would make it to the Super Bowl last year, much less WIN IT. But they did and if San Diego makes the playoffs this season, it will only be because we're in the AFC Pansy West, a pathetic division of mediocre teams. What does it matter beating the Colts tonight when as a fan, you have less than beaming confidence that your team can go DEEP in the playoffs? The Colts and Patriots are still the class of the league. The Steelers got a scare today from Cleveland and I'm still not sure about them after losing to Denver recently, but they're next best in the AFC.
So STOP CRYING.
Just remember one key thing -- just b/c someone says they are a Colts fan on this posting doesn't make it true.
angie

Mansfield, IL

#19 Nov 12, 2007
Where is Mikey when we need him. Oh, that's right, we dumped him>
Greg Nichols

Czech Republic

#20 Nov 12, 2007
I use to be that the Colt's offense had to carry the Colt's defense, but ever since the playoffs last year, it has become the other way around. The Defense played more than well enough to win it last week holding New England to a season low in points and only allowing San Diego one offensive touchdown yesterday. The Colt's offense is settling for tooooooo many field goals. The Colts trail New England by a wide margin in the touchdown to field gaol ratio. I also don't want to hear any excuses about offensive injuries either. New England proved last year that you can go on the road and only have to complete a 3rd and 4 to win another Super Bowl with receivers that did not even make their team this year! Manning has to go into each game with the mentality that the field goal kicker broke his leg and will be unavailable for the game!
art

Mansfield, IL

#21 Nov 12, 2007
Where is Brandon when we need him? Oh yes, making unbelievable catches for another team.
Big E

Dekalb, IL

#22 Nov 12, 2007
Chargers Fan makes a good point, never get too up after a win or too down after a loss. the real season is 7 games away. i just hope the pats are 14-0 and play their starters alot the last couple of games trying to go undefeated. i think they are classless enough to do so and it will bite them in their tales come playoff time.
Choke

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Nov 12, 2007
Instead of saying it was the missed field goal, why didn't the Star say that maybe it was Peyton Manning's career record 6 interceptions that lost the game, or the Charger's special teams play?
Mom of 3

Indianapolis, IN

#24 Nov 12, 2007
This is all crazy---especially to the "fans" saying that the Colts are not good enough. I would love to come to your work and criticize the way you do your job. If you can't handle set backs, then don't watch the game!
Yeah, yeah, yeah...they are being paid millions to not mess up...so are doctors and business leaders, and guess what...they mess up.
Honestly, if that was your child on the field, would you be saying the same thing? Nope!
Steeler Fan

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Nov 12, 2007
Chargers skeptic wrote:
It'll likely be the Patriots and Colts in the AFC title game but come on...

The Colts and Patriots are still the class of the league.

The Steelers got a scare today from Cleveland
Not so fast.

Pitt was on a short week after creaming Baltimore, played as bad as the Colts did (espeically special teams) yet was still able to come back and win.

Steelers and Colts are both 7-2. Steelers still have to play NE.

Colts are a great team...but no team can take that many starters and not travel with a full compliment of players and not struggle. Yet they still could have won the game.

Special teams are killing the Colts. They put the defense in tough places time afte time, if they don't give up the TD outright.

Payoff-wise...Pittsburgh proved that you can win on the last day of the season, be the sixth seed, play all your games on the road including going to the #1 seed's stadium and still win the Super Bowl.
John

Rutland, VT

#26 Nov 12, 2007
Injuries Excuse Used Again? Let's face it, inujuries are a fact in sports and dealing with injuries despite what personnel is part of the game. Peyton's first utterance after last week's game "we have a lot of injuries" was echoed in the coverage on this site. Give me a break. The Patriots are noted for adapting; it sounds like the Colts are not. Every team has injuries. The loss against the Chargers was due to a lot of errors by Peyton and a lot of the team members. You can't blame the game on injuries. That is the weakest argument. Football is about beating the odds no matter what the odds. Go ahead Colts and hind behind that mantra, but just remember that greatness is not made out of excuses.
Perspective

Indianapolis, IN

#27 Nov 12, 2007
The players that the Colts are using as regulars would typically be on special teams, for the most part.
The players that are currently on special teams would generally not be playing much at all.
Some of the current "regular" players are doing extra duty.
It's a mess right now.
But if Adam makes that FG, the Colts still win. With second and third stringers doing most of the work, they atill almost won.
That's pretty stout.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 36
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adam Vinatieri Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Indy trying to get kinks fixed after 16-13 OT w... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 3
News Looking At Thursday: The Colts Make Me Laugh (Aug '14) Aug '14 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Colts lead 17 - 6 over the Vikings at half time (Sep '12) Sep '12 Luck E Day 2
News Tom Brady Is the Most Overrated Quarterback In ... (Jan '11) Nov '11 Patriots R Gay 337
News Stover to call it a career (May '11) Sep '11 Hurrahfarts 2
News Never, Ever Dismiss the Patriots (Jan '07) Jan '11 18andDONEwithoutC... 60
News Jets won't be scared of Patriots (Jan '11) Jan '11 Realist 2
More from around the web