Colts 'D' set for encore?

Colts 'D' set for encore?

There are 88 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Aug 20, 2007, titled Colts 'D' set for encore?. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Indianapolis Colts' latest preseason misadventure disintegrated into nothing resembling their last meeting with the Chicago Bears.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
The Babu

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Aug 21, 2007
Poo-Bah!!
Jim

Tyrone, PA

#2 Aug 21, 2007
Last night's performance is the reason why preseason games should not be full price. It is plain robbery of the loyal fans. Beyond the first teams, the performance was disgusting. Special teams? They're special all right especially coverage on both kickoff and returns. Disgracefully special. With only two weeks to go and after weeks of practice, how can they improve before N.O.? Where were those players who were fighting to become a Colt. It looked like there are more duds than buds.
another opinion

Arcanum, OH

#3 Aug 21, 2007
Sorgi showed up last night. As for the rest...I agree with Jim. How about a 1/2 off sale for Saturday's game. And a credit for the season ticket holders.:)
Lets go Colts

United States

#4 Aug 21, 2007
Jim wrote:
Last night's performance is the reason why preseason games should not be full price. It is plain robbery of the loyal fans. Beyond the first teams, the performance was disgusting. Special teams? They're special all right especially coverage on both kickoff and returns. Disgracefully special. With only two weeks to go and after weeks of practice, how can they improve before N.O.? Where were those players who were fighting to become a Colt. It looked like there are more duds than buds.
I would like to agree with you, but there is a little problem in the fact that every one of those 55K+ fans that went to the game new what they were going to get......and they still sold the place out. If one person doesnt go, that ticket will get sucked up by someone else, so why bring down the prices? You have demand at double the supply and when that happens you can raise prices.

About the game.......I think our D looked almost like a different team last night from the first preseason game. The D line played very well against the run and with getting a good pass rush. I like how Ed Johnson looked and I think the Colts have their replacement for Booger. Freddy Keiaho was flying around laying some wood on Benson. Jackson & Bethea also looked good as did Hayden at some points. With our D backfield of Sanders, Bethea, Jackson & Hayden we are going to be lighting some people up this year with big hits. NICE JOB FIRST TEAM D!! I know it was just Grossman, and I do mean Gross, but still it was a good showing. Now if we can just take that defensive intensity on the road with us, we should be looking very good on that side of the ball.

The Special Teams.......not really looking very special right now. The Colts have always had trouble covering kicks and punts. I dont know if we have had the same coach all these years, but perhaps its time to turn in a different direction. I like how Andrus kicked it deep, but guys have got to do a better job of angling to the ball carrier earlier in their downfield pursuit. You see guys off on the other side of the field getting blocked and the middle of the wedge is always where we get burned. Guys have got to do a better job of getting to the middle of the field to make a tackle instead of getting blocked and held up on the outside. Get some of those guys in there that are dying for a roster spot. There has to be some bodies that are just chomping at the bit to smack somebody to try and earn a spot.

All in all, very good second showing. This alleviates a lot of my worry about the D. Nice job O Line as well.
Taxed to death

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Aug 21, 2007
That a shock, $$$ and stadium both in the pocket already, Ben Davis Jr. High could probabally take them now.
Off A Cough

Bellevue, KY

#6 Aug 21, 2007
Taxed to death wrote:
That a shock,$$$ and stadium both in the pocket already, Ben Davis Jr. High could probabally take them now.
The extra nickle for McDonalds must be putting the hurt on you. Try the 99 cent menu.
Season Ticket Holder

Coldwater, MI

#7 Aug 21, 2007
As a season ticket holder I know what a preseason game is. A chance for the coaches to see whoo can and who cannot play the game. I think in the third and fourth quarters we saw who could not play the game. I thought Betts did a great job coming in as a third stringer, second in my opinion, and having to play with a lot of guys who will be gone next week.
Seems like Sorgi can only throw to his left, Standeford was open, but he never even looked his way. Thats bad when a quarterback can only throw one way. Great game Moorehead, not sure you were player of the game tho.
Jason

Jasper, IN

#8 Aug 21, 2007
They didn't botch an onside kick attempt, the refs botched the call!
GO COLTS

Cincinnati, OH

#9 Aug 21, 2007
A couple of things ...

Chicago played their regulars just a little longer then the Colts did. Rex was on the field longer then Manning, and produced another TD. No big deal though ... as like everyone says, these don't count anyway. And the "D" did look like they are ready to take up where they left off last year! Good Job from the regulars!

I was sick of hearing the ESPN commentators talk half way through the 2nd quarter about Michael Vick. Save it for Sports Center guys .. who cares about him anyway. He screwed up, now let him pay the price!

GO COLTS !!!
Tired of it

Fort Thomas, KY

#10 Aug 21, 2007
Taxed to death wrote:
That a shock,$$$ and stadium both in the pocket already, Ben Davis Jr. High could probabally take them now.
Go whine someplace else you moron.
Hoosier Bears Fan

Lockport, IL

#11 Aug 21, 2007
The Colts didn't beat us in the Super Bowl...actually WE beat us in The Super Bowl...
Bob

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Aug 21, 2007
colts suck
wuh

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Aug 21, 2007
Number one: Starting D looked good.
Number two: those of you who bought tickets and feel ripped off should have known better. Did you really think Manning was going to play 4 quarters in a PRE SEASON game? Duh.
Bob

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Aug 21, 2007
Bears rule- colts suck.
Morons

Duncan, OK

#15 Aug 21, 2007
Congratulations to all Colts fans:
Again you just got ripped off... but you love them, so no complaints!
GO Colts... go somewhere else!
GO COLTS

Cincinnati, OH

#16 Aug 21, 2007
Hoosier Bears Fan wrote:
The Colts didn't beat us in the Super Bowl...actually WE beat us in The Super Bowl...
You just keep thinking that Rex! The Bears got B-E-A-T by the Colts. The Colts "D" dominated the Bears overall.

And no ... if Rex is their man, they won't make it back to the Super Bowl this year!

Dream on!
FootballBrawler

Wakarusa, IN

#17 Aug 21, 2007
Even though "WE" beat us.

THE COLTS STILL GOT THE WIN!!!!!!!!!!
bang

Duncan, OK

#18 Aug 21, 2007
Lets go Colts wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to agree with you, but there is a little problem in the fact that every one of those 55K+ fans that went to the game new what they were going to get......and they still sold the place out. If one person doesnt go, that ticket will get sucked up by someone else, so why bring down the prices? You have demand at double the supply and when that happens you can raise prices.
About the game.......I think our D looked almost like a different team last night from the first preseason game. The D line played very well against the run and with getting a good pass rush. I like how Ed Johnson looked and I think the Colts have their replacement for Booger. Freddy Keiaho was flying around laying some wood on Benson. Jackson & Bethea also looked good as did Hayden at some points. With our D backfield of Sanders, Bethea, Jackson & Hayden we are going to be lighting some people up this year with big hits. NICE JOB FIRST TEAM D!! I know it was just Grossman, and I do mean Gross, but still it was a good showing. Now if we can just take that defensive intensity on the road with us, we should be looking very good on that side of the ball.
The Special Teams.......not really looking very special right now. The Colts have always had trouble covering kicks and punts. I dont know if we have had the same coach all these years, but perhaps its time to turn in a different direction. I like how Andrus kicked it deep, but guys have got to do a better job of angling to the ball carrier earlier in their downfield pursuit. You see guys off on the other side of the field getting blocked and the middle of the wedge is always where we get burned. Guys have got to do a better job of getting to the middle of the field to make a tackle instead of getting blocked and held up on the outside. Get some of those guys in there that are dying for a roster spot. There has to be some bodies that are just chomping at the bit to smack somebody to try and earn a spot.
All in all, very good second showing. This alleviates a lot of my worry about the D. Nice job O Line as well.
Actually, preseason games are sold as part of a season ticket package. Since all the games are sold out, that means that the preseason tickets were all sold as well. So the number of people that showed up last night is not a shock because they had to buy those tickets if they wanted season tickets for the rest of the games. ESsentially, the NFL makes you pay for about 8.5 games and charges you for 10 if you count how long the starters play over the 10 home games each year (counting the 2 preseason games on top of the 8 regular season games). What other business in the world rips off their customers in such a way? The answer is none because football is an anomoly because it is an unchallenged monopoly on pro football. Would you go buy 10 of anything knowing that you were only going to get 8 worth buying? Nope. Unfortunately, football is America's game now so people are willing to take the raping of their checkbook to see Peyton in 8 games that count. Regardless, you have to love football so people whine and then get over it each year whent he regular season begins.
oh yea

Fishers, IN

#19 Aug 21, 2007
Hoosier Bears Fan wrote:
If that's what helps you sleep at night....our Lombardi trophy helps Colts fans remember how we SMOKED you guys

Are we really still complaining about this? The Bears couldn't stop the run all night and Rex Grossman is always good for more than his fair share of turnovers.

The Bears got worked. Look at the stats, watch game tape objectively.
Doc

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Aug 21, 2007
Taxed to death wrote:
You definitely deranged. This guy is the reason why I feel the IndyStar should make people take an IQ test before they are allowed to post comments. If you have the IQ of an earthworm, you can't post.

Nice job "D"... Special teams, you need to step up and show the world you can do better than the crap we seen last night.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adam Vinatieri Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Indy trying to get kinks fixed after 16-13 OT w... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Fart news 3
News Looking At Thursday: The Colts Make Me Laugh (Aug '14) Aug '14 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Colts lead 17 - 6 over the Vikings at half time (Sep '12) Sep '12 Luck E Day 2
News Tom Brady Is the Most Overrated Quarterback In ... (Jan '11) Nov '11 Patriots R Gay 337
News Stover to call it a career (May '11) Sep '11 Hurrahfarts 2
News Never, Ever Dismiss the Patriots (Jan '07) Jan '11 18andDONEwithoutC... 60
News Jets won't be scared of Patriots (Jan '11) Jan '11 Realist 2
More from around the web