Bob Kravitz' report card

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Before we commence with another edition of the Dopey Report Card, a viewer's note: The NFL Network will be re-airing the Colts-Chiefs game at 7 p.m. today.
Comments
1 - 20 of 51 Comments Last updated Nov 20, 2007
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mookie

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

I also disagreed with the late game antics! You go for it on 4th and one, only to kneel down three times and put the game back on V. Dumb! I know it was about running down the clock, but I say, Run the ball into the end zone! Force the Chef's to come back and score a TD with no time-outs! Hey, it's the Defense that is holding up their end of the deal...they can handle it! Get some momentum for next week by ending on a TD, instead of yet another FG.
purpas

Washington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

Hope this team gets healthy soon. We very very average. Where the heck is the offense! Kudos to the defense -- thanks for bailing us out. I miss ole Tarik. I use to complain about all of his penalities, but there is something to be said for durability. I am not sure Ugoh will ever be that type of guy. Also, Colts are being hush-hush about Marvin. That is not good -- doubt he will ever be the same. And for #4 you are a hall of famer and deserve to got out on your own terms, but if you are hurt think of the team and get yourself well and ready for the playoffs because the misses are killing us!
Dave

Winslow, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

I don't understand the objections to the Colts' late-game strategy. I thought they did exactly the right thing. If they kicked the field goal on the 4th and one--and assuming they make it, which is no sure thing these days--they'd be up three but give the Chiefs the ball with plenty of time to score a TD to win, especially given our poor kickoff coverage. So you risk bad things happening that way. On the other hand, if you go for it on fourth down and fail, you at least force the Chiefs to go the length of the field to score. So the Colts did the right thing by going for the first down. Now, once you have the first down, why not kill the clock and kick a field goal at the end? If you try to score a TD, you risk a turnover. And if you DO score, the way things are going with the kicking game, the extra point could be missed--and then you have to kick off to the Chiefs and risk a big runback, TD and extra point. So the Colts handled it just right EXCEPT for one thing: Why did they call the final timeout with four seconds left (which later became six seconds, something that the TV commentators missed)? Why not call the timeout with ONE second left so that time expires and you don't have to give the Chiefs a last chance on the kickoff? THAT was the only miscue on the final series, IMHO. But it was nice to get the win.
don

Francesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

Frustatingly...can't argue with your grades! We didn't know how fortunate we were, going through season after season with (few) injuries. Regardless what's being said, Harrison, Ugoh out are killing our offense. For whatever reason BP or TD never seemed to realize how inept Utecht, Moorehead can be! We have no idea how good/bad Gonzalez will be. Now we're exposed Peyton has lost protection from his blind side & no reliable/ready backup for Marvin. Better find answers soon!!
Give it time

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

I thought the end game strategy was ok. Whether we get the TD or FG and then kick, or do what we did....the game was ours.
Barely :o(
It's easy to say that we're not anywhere near being a contender at this point, but last year we were saying the same thing about our defense.....until January. If we get everybody back before then, we can regain our form in time.
NE can't beat us if we're healthy, but right now the bottom line is, despite all the injuries, we're still 8-2.....easily 10-0 if we were healthy and the clear-cut favorite, just like we were in year's past, only to screw up in the postseason. We actually won the SB when we were NOT the favorites :D
So "right now" isn't the Bottom Line....Jan/Feb is :D
fred davenport

Lehigh Acres, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

Why has'nt the special teams coach been fired?
Norm

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

Dave wrote:
I don't understand the objections to the Colts' late-game strategy. I thought they did exactly the right thing. If they kicked the field goal on the 4th and one--and assuming they make it, which is no sure thing these days--they'd be up three but give the Chiefs the ball with plenty of time to score a TD to win, especially given our poor kickoff coverage. So you risk bad things happening that way. On the other hand, if you go for it on fourth down and fail, you at least force the Chiefs to go the length of the field to score. So the Colts did the right thing by going for the first down. Now, once you have the first down, why not kill the clock and kick a field goal at the end? If you try to score a TD, you risk a turnover. And if you DO score, the way things are going with the kicking game, the extra point could be missed--and then you have to kick off to the Chiefs and risk a big runback, TD and extra point. So the Colts handled it just right EXCEPT for one thing: Why did they call the final timeout with four seconds left (which later became six seconds, something that the TV commentators missed)? Why not call the timeout with ONE second left so that time expires and you don't have to give the Chiefs a last chance on the kickoff? THAT was the only miscue on the final series, IMHO. But it was nice to get the win.
I would agree with this if Vinatieri was kicking well. But he isn't, so to me, there is just as much of a risk of him missing the FG at the end as there is of something bad happening with us trying to run it in for a TD. Just my .02
Vanderjagt come home

Westfield, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

The kicker is a huge concern. You do not miss four in a row, you do not miss so many chip shots. Get the rolodex out just in case. Our team is showing its averageness, true Coltsness, and we will need a good kicker to get to the playoffs even. Indy has always been cursed and denied sports championships. Tell me last year was not a fluke or a dream. Right? Special teams grade was not a B-, based on Adam V, it was a D.

“Deport All Illegal Aliens!!”

Since: Jul 07

Speedway, Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

I don't know what games Kravitz is watching but he has no idea what he's talking about. Sometimes I wonder if he even watches the game. He's more of a Dilbert character than a journalist.
peyton

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

bob hit the nail on the head. we had ZERO pass rush yesterday.

a better QB would have shredded our defense. we need to get something figured out... quick.
Chiefs Fan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

Wow. Never been a big Colts fan (although respect Mannings skills if not his arrogance) but Colts Fan must be awfully proud of that win. Holy Cow, letting an absolutely putrid Chiefs team play the defending superbowl champs to a stand still on their own field. This and the recent losses should really frighten you. It looks like a team that has lost all of its confidence since the Pats game. The Colts have too much talent to be looking like this.
Tom Jenkins

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

That was an ugly game but a win. You have to win games like this in order to be there at the end. Looking at all the Pats winning scores against all the teams Indy stands out. Lost by 4 points with subs playing. I still say that if we are fortunate enough to be in the AFC chanpoinship game and we are healthy, I firmly believe we can win it all.
Colts fan in Greencastle

Greencastle, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

I'm just glad for the win! It was ugly, but we pulled it out. It is painfully obvious that this team is just average when Marvin is not there. Peyton is a great quarterback, but he needs to have ALL his receivers healthy. Also, I miss Tarik. Ugoh might be OK (when healthy), but Peyton was running for his life too much yesterday. And, I can't figure out what is wrong with our kicker.
mr happy feet

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

Peyton should get an "A" for falling down, instead of trying to make a play. What a skirt! He is 6'5 but with his happy feet plays like he is 5'5
MJK

Skokie, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

Why give the Chiefs a chance. Now that's dumb.
Mookie wrote:
I also disagreed with the late game antics! You go for it on 4th and one, only to kneel down three times and put the game back on V. Dumb! I know it was about running down the clock, but I say, Run the ball into the end zone! Force the Chef's to come back and score a TD with no time-outs! Hey, it's the Defense that is holding up their end of the deal...they can handle it! Get some momentum for next week by ending on a TD, instead of yet another FG.
Dan the Fan

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

The game was a turkey (pun intended). Pass rush D was not there - the Colts offensive line could have played almost as well sitting on the bench no more protection than they gave Peyton. I agree a better q-back would have made the Colts pay big time. Adam V. must be trying too hard or something. The final score should have been 19-10. Lots of injuries, etc. but this does not look like a playoff team.
colts backer

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

Dan the Fan wrote:
The game was a turkey (pun intended). Pass rush D was not there - the Colts offensive line could have played almost as well sitting on the bench no more protection than they gave Peyton. I agree a better q-back would have made the Colts pay big time. Adam V. must be trying too hard or something. The final score should have been 19-10. Lots of injuries, etc. but this does not look like a playoff team.
The chiefs missed 2 field goals as well.. so final score wouldve been 19-16.

Kravitz, the reason why Hunter Smith was asked to punt out of bounds was because there is no punt coverage. Better to shave a couple yards off the punt, rather than give up a big return. Special Teams : C minus
Adam V

Shrewsbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

Manning is simply not that great a QB without all-pro receivers. It's that simple. If Manning had the scrub receivers the Pats won three SB's with, he'd have set career records for Interceptions. How many can you name?
As for the Colts visiting NE for the AFC Championship - good luck with that! Pats will be favored by 21 and will cover.
Bob

Paso Robles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

peyton wrote:
bob hit the nail on the head. we had ZERO pass rush yesterday.
a better QB would have shredded our defense. we need to get something figured out... quick.
Refreshing comment.

All this inflated chest talk about the Colts defense on this board...for goodness sakes, they stopped the Chiefs O with a rookie QB. Learn about the word humility.
Bob

Paso Robles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

mr happy feet wrote:
Peyton should get an "A" for falling down, instead of trying to make a play. What a skirt! He is 6'5 but with his happy feet plays like he is 5'5
With all the time he spent on the ground, he was better than Roundup for wiping out the grass.

Glad to see his endearing pout on a regular basis again.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Adam Vinatieri Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking At Thursday: The Colts Make Me Laugh Aug 8 Laughing Bear Fan 3
Colts lead 17 - 6 over the Vikings at half time (Sep '12) Sep '12 Luck E Day 2
Tom Brady Is the Most Overrated Quarterback In ... (Jan '11) Nov '11 Patriots R Gay 337
Stover to call it a career (May '11) Sep '11 Hurrahfarts 2
Never, Ever Dismiss the Patriots (Jan '07) Jan '11 18andDONEwithoutC... 60
Jets won't be scared of Patriots (Jan '11) Jan '11 Realist 2
Falcons, Steelers, Colts, Seahawks clinch divis... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Hair 1

Search the Adam Vinatieri Forum:
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••