Colts scour combine for talent that f...

Colts scour combine for talent that fits plan

There are 35 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 20, 2008, titled Colts scour combine for talent that fits plan. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The Indianapolis Colts' blueprint for success is like most teams': Maximize the NFL draft and the subsequent free agent signing period.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sorgi Fan Club

United States

#1 Feb 21, 2008
I hope they are looking at a DE to get Freeney some help.
I think we all saw just how critical a great pass rush is, and how little depth the Colts have at that position.
What is going to suck on draft day is not having a first round pick.
PHOENIX

Shepherdsville, KY

#2 Feb 21, 2008
One and done.
MARQUIS JONES

Waukegan, IL

#3 Feb 21, 2008
GET A LINEBACKER AND A RUN STOPPER UP THE MIDDLE THATS Y WE FELL APART IN THE PLAYOFFS TO SAN DIEGO AND GET THAT PASS RUSH BACK CUZ WILL NEVER BEAT NEW ENGLAND TRYING TO OUT SCORE THEM
Mr Obvious

Carmel, IN

#4 Feb 21, 2008
Did the article reference how no colts player had played a down for another team and then mention Vinatieri and his tenure in New England...

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I see a bit of a contradiction there.
MARQUIS JONES

Waukegan, IL

#5 Feb 21, 2008
COLTS PLEASE GET FREENEY SOME HELP ON THE PASS RUSH AND GET SOME HELP WIT SPECIAL TEAMS ALSO.
MARQUIS JONES

Waukegan, IL

#6 Feb 21, 2008
O.K WE GOT 2 ROUND OK SHOP AROUND FREE AGENCY TRADE TE FLECTHER AND WR AARON MOOREHEAD
crunch

Studio City, CA

#7 Feb 21, 2008
MARQUIS JONES wrote:
O.K WE GOT 2 ROUND OK SHOP AROUND FREE AGENCY TRADE TE FLECTHER AND WR AARON MOOREHEAD
Uh... What?(X5)

I'll try to respond to half of this in English - Moorehead is a free agent, meaning he's done. If he's lucky, he'll be the 5th WR next year. Fletcher is a decent backup receiving TE at best (never seen him block), but wouldn't bring Blair Kiel in trade.

Another team would have to eat the same magic beans you've been into to trade for them.
mRS oBVIOUS

Collinsville, MS

#8 Feb 21, 2008
Mr Obvious wrote:
Did the article reference how no colts player had played a down for another team and then mention Vinatieri and his tenure in New England...
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I see a bit of a contradiction there.
"Not one of their 22 starters in the divisional playoff loss to San Diego had played a single down for another team, the first time a playoff participant could make that claim since the 1990 season."

Read the Star quote again. Emphasis on 22 starters ...

“Ready to Rock the LUKE IN '08”

Since: Jan 08

Indianapolis

#9 Feb 21, 2008
Mr Obvious wrote:
"Not one of their 22 starters in the divisional playoff loss to San Diego had played a single down for another team"

11 starters on offense
11 starters on defense

I don't think they were counting special teams.
Jopa-n

Scipio Center, NY

#10 Feb 21, 2008
Seeing how the Pats used FA and trades to bolt ahead of them in less than one year, maybe its time to vault this team ahead of the Pats now. Especially considering the window of Peyton's career getting tighter.
ohh

United States

#11 Feb 21, 2008
So I guess the guy who starts the game by kicking the ball is not a starter. Fair enough.

“Deport All Illegal Aliens!!”

Since: Jul 07

Speedway, Indiana

#12 Feb 21, 2008
I hope Bill Polian lives to be 100!! GO COLTS!!

“Ready to Rock the LUKE IN '08”

Since: Jan 08

Indianapolis

#13 Feb 21, 2008
ohh wrote:
So I guess the guy who starts the game by kicking the ball is not a starter. Fair enough.
They didn't say he wasn't. They are talking about OFFENSIVE AND DEFENSIVE starters. You know, the guys who play the majority of the game. They were making a point in that the players who play defense and offense have never played for another team.
Manning the iron man

Cincinnati, OH

#14 Feb 21, 2008
Jopa-n wrote:
Seeing how the Pats used FA and trades to bolt ahead of them in less than one year, maybe its time to vault this team ahead of the Pats now. Especially considering the window of Peyton's career getting tighter.
Peyton has played ten seasons without ever missing a start. He's never been injured (knock on wood). He's at the top of his game and showing no sign of slowing down. Looks to me like he can go another ten years if he wants to. I'd say the window seems to still be wide open.
Jopa-n

Scipio Center, NY

#15 Feb 21, 2008
Manning the iron man wrote:
<quoted text>Peyton has played ten seasons without ever missing a start. He's never been injured (knock on wood). He's at the top of his game and showing no sign of slowing down. Looks to me like he can go another ten years if he wants to. I'd say the window seems to still be wide open.
So your saying he's going to be an All-pro for the next 10 years? I'm sorry, as good as Peyton is, your looking at 5-6 at the most. I'm just talking practicality here. As much as we would like, our heros don't last forever.
yes

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Feb 21, 2008
Wow, what a story, I thought the Colts would scour for talent that doesn't fit their plan. What a stupid filler story that provided nothing.
Lucky Horseshoe

New York, NY

#17 Feb 21, 2008
And how does that differ at all from your post Yes?

Ohh/Mr Obvious, you are right, about not being the sharpest blade in the drawer, that is. Any football fan, even a not so knowledgeable one, would recognize the reference to 22 starters for exactly what it was.

Sorgi fan club - Just ease your mind on draft day with the thought of how miaserable last year would have been without Ugoh to replace a retired Tarik. While it is possible, it is not a sure thing or maybe even likely that we would draft someone this year on first round who would play better than Ugoh did last year.

Marquis Jones - which LB do you want to replace? Did you mean a run stuffer at MLB? Are there really still Colts fans who dont understand Dungy's defense? Our MLB has to be able to drop into deep coverage. Our LBs are a strength now as they are fast, quick, athletic and fierce hitters if not the most stout in the league. Most of all, they fit our defense as a pure run stopper would not. If Polian can find a way to keep Booger to team with Johnson, we will have our best DT rotation in Dungy's tenure, IMO.

Jopa-N If I understand your post, you want us to sign a bunch of free agents. Since we are perrennially up against the cap and might in fact have to let go of Booger and Scott just to get under the cap, who would you like us to cut in order to sign the stars who will, as you say, vault us over the Pats? The Pats let contracts run out over a couple years in order to have the room to sign all those free agents. Is that what you want us to do? And if so, please tell us exactly who you want to see cut.

My guess is that on the second round we tap into deep crops at the offensive skill positions. Take a backup RB or a WR to groom. Chris Johnson from East Carolina? Steve Slaton from WVa? Jordy Nelson from Kansas?
ohh

United States

#18 Feb 21, 2008
Lucky Horseshoe wrote:
And how does that differ at all from your post Yes?
Ohh/Mr Obvious, you are right, about not being the sharpest blade in the drawer, that is. Any football fan, even a not so knowledgeable one, would recognize the reference to 22 starters for exactly what it was.
Sorgi fan club - Just ease your mind on draft day with the thought of how miaserable last year would have been without Ugoh to replace a retired Tarik. While it is possible, it is not a sure thing or maybe even likely that we would draft someone this year on first round who would play better than Ugoh did last year.
Marquis Jones - which LB do you want to replace? Did you mean a run stuffer at MLB? Are there really still Colts fans who dont understand Dungy's defense? Our MLB has to be able to drop into deep coverage. Our LBs are a strength now as they are fast, quick, athletic and fierce hitters if not the most stout in the league. Most of all, they fit our defense as a pure run stopper would not. If Polian can find a way to keep Booger to team with Johnson, we will have our best DT rotation in Dungy's tenure, IMO.
Jopa-N If I understand your post, you want us to sign a bunch of free agents. Since we are perrennially up against the cap and might in fact have to let go of Booger and Scott just to get under the cap, who would you like us to cut in order to sign the stars who will, as you say, vault us over the Pats? The Pats let contracts run out over a couple years in order to have the room to sign all those free agents. Is that what you want us to do? And if so, please tell us exactly who you want to see cut.
My guess is that on the second round we tap into deep crops at the offensive skill positions. Take a backup RB or a WR to groom. Chris Johnson from East Carolina? Steve Slaton from WVa? Jordy Nelson from Kansas?
Oh thank you Lucky Horshoe, thank goodness we all have you here to explain everything to us. Fact is, it was am inaccurate statment and we brought it up. Any football fan, even a not so knowledgable one, realizes that while there are 22 starters on offense and defense, that does not constitute "all" starters as the article stated. Get over yourself.
Jopa-n

Waterford Works, NJ

#19 Feb 21, 2008
Lucky Horseshoe,
I didn't mean a bunch of FA's. I mean a couple of players to trump the Pats. Go make a deal with Cincy for Ocho. They added Moss and Welker and- Wham! Most prolific offense in NFL history. Now it's your turn. Get the offense like you had in 04 when 35 pts was a so-so game. When teams thought holding Manning to 3 TD's was a victory. Go 18-0 and finish the deal!
Lucky Horseshoe

New York, NY

#20 Feb 21, 2008
"Any" football fan, even a not so knowledgeable one, recognizes what is referred to by the term 22 starters. You came looking to criticize and forced a fit where none existed. Special teamers are not referred to as starters, you know it quite well and just came looking for a fight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Adam Vinatieri Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Looking At Thursday: The Colts Make Me Laugh (Aug '14) Aug '14 Laughing Bear Fan 3
News Colts lead 17 - 6 over the Vikings at half time (Sep '12) Sep '12 Luck E Day 2
News Tom Brady Is the Most Overrated Quarterback In ... (Jan '11) Nov '11 Patriots R Gay 337
News Stover to call it a career (May '11) Sep '11 Hurrahfarts 2
News Never, Ever Dismiss the Patriots (Jan '07) Jan '11 18andDONEwithoutC... 60
News Jets won't be scared of Patriots (Jan '11) Jan '11 Realist 2
News Falcons, Steelers, Colts, Seahawks clinch divis... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Hair 1
More from around the web