Flacco hits bottom against Steelers

Flacco hits bottom against Steelers

There are 35 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Dec 15, 2008, titled Flacco hits bottom against Steelers. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

The rookie turned in the worst outing of his career in the 13-9 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers last night at M&T Bank Stadium .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Ravens/Orioles fan in Jax Fla”

Since: Sep 07

Glen Burnie,Md(Jax Fla now)

#1 Dec 15, 2008
Joe Flaaco showed us that he is only 23 and is a rookie in the NFL,in the 2 games against Pittsburgh and games against the Giants and the Colts, teams that are pretty good,he seemed to get rattled and bent out of shape and excited,give him until the 2009 season,he will be just fine,he's going to be a good QB. Next week at Dallas could be the same thing,but he should be okay when they play Jacksonville,nothing wrong with a 10 win season when every body was saying no more then 4 or 5 wins this year.
Rich

Marion, IA

#2 Dec 15, 2008
Don't blame Flacco. 1st and 10 at the Steelers 29 yard line. Cam should have been throwing on 1st down on a play action. But nooo, he ran. You had to throw on 2nd down, but nooo says Cam, lets wait til 3rd down when the Steelers will really know we are throwing and can just CRUSH Flacco. No don't blame Flacco. Cam wimped out big time the whole game.
Jim In Brooksville

Gainesville, FL

#3 Dec 15, 2008
"Feeling pressure to his right, Flacco slid left, but he could not avoid getting sacked and stripped by linebacker Lawrence Timmons." And why was Timmons there? Check the film. He slid right by McGahee untouched.

The reason we lost was because Ray Rice was not playing. McGahee is a liability.
poiu

Columbia, MD

#4 Dec 15, 2008
Flacco is no Roethlisberger; Ben was making plays and going to the Super Bowl as a rookie so saying Flacco is "only 23" or "he's just a rookie" DO NOT PAN OUT! Winners win and the elite rise to the top; losers and wannabes make excuses; Roethlisberger is a winner and an elite QB, Flacco isn't.
larry g

Ellicott City, MD

#5 Dec 15, 2008
Rich wrote:
Don't blame Flacco. 1st and 10 at the Steelers 29 yard line. Cam should have been throwing on 1st down on a play action. But nooo, he ran. You had to throw on 2nd down, but nooo says Cam, lets wait til 3rd down when the Steelers will really know we are throwing and can just CRUSH Flacco. No don't blame Flacco. Cam wimped out big time the whole game.
I do blame Flacco because he was terrible , but Cam was awful , why did we run the ball on 3 and 7 after running twice form their 48 , we did not try to be aggressive at all
Eddie

Hughesville, MD

#6 Dec 15, 2008
poiu,
I don't know if you are a Steeler fan or a Ravens fan, but Flacco is going to be an excellent QB in this league. I am a diehard Steelers fan and many of us have seen our worst fears come true... The Ravens found a QB. What do you want from a rookie QB against the #1 defense in the NFL? Just refer to how the Patriots treated Big Ben in 2004, his rookie season. Flacco will be great. That sucks for us Steelers fans.
larry g

Ellicott City, MD

#7 Dec 15, 2008
Jim In Brooksville wrote:
"Feeling pressure to his right, Flacco slid left, but he could not avoid getting sacked and stripped by linebacker Lawrence Timmons." And why was Timmons there? Check the film. He slid right by McGahee untouched.
The reason we lost was because Ray Rice was not playing. McGahee is a liability.
Also check that Heap was open beggin for the ball and flacco did not pull the trigger , complete that pass and it's first down on the 18-20 and we can just about run out the clock
Dubby

Washington, DC

#8 Dec 15, 2008
First things first -- Flacco is a rookie and playing against the Steelers for the division lead is a long, long way from Delaware just last year. But, for the first time all year, I don't think Cam Cameron helped Joe's cause. Cam was cautious when he needed to be bold, and bold when he needed to be cautious. With all the great field position, we needed creativity. We needed to take some shots. Instead, we got handoffs to the fullback. I thought the game plan was terrible. I blame the coaches for this one.
The Armchair QB

Lutherville Timonium, MD

#9 Dec 15, 2008
In defense of Joe Flacco's performance yesterday, he was not given the benefit of imaginative and unpredictable playing calling as he had the previous 13 games. Instead, he was apparently asked to "manage" the game and "play not to lose", which has been an all too familiar recipe for disaster around here! And, as for our resident "genius" defensive coordinator, as he has done too frequently in the past, instead of continuing to go after the QB with a lead in "crunch time", he characteristically resorts to dropping everyone in coverage instead of pressuring the passer with the same predictable results as in the first lost to Pittsburgh and the loss to Tennessee. I keep asking myself if these genius' will ever "get it", but apparently they will not! That being said, there are no really "super" teams this year which leaves the championship wide open for those teams fortunate enough to make the playoffs.....
larry g

Ellicott City, MD

#10 Dec 15, 2008
Dubby wrote:
First things first -- Flacco is a rookie and playing against the Steelers for the division lead is a long, long way from Delaware just last year. But, for the first time all year, I don't think Cam Cameron helped Joe's cause. Cam was cautious when he needed to be bold, and bold when he needed to be cautious. With all the great field position, we needed creativity. We needed to take some shots. Instead, we got handoffs to the fullback. I thought the game plan was terrible. I blame the coaches for this one.
I agree , we were not aggressive
larry g

Ellicott City, MD

#11 Dec 15, 2008
The Armchair QB wrote:
In defense of Joe Flacco's performance yesterday, he was not given the benefit of imaginative and unpredictable playing calling as he had the previous 13 games. Instead, he was apparently asked to "manage" the game and "play not to lose", which has been an all too familiar recipe for disaster around here! And, as for our resident "genius" defensive coordinator, as he has done too frequently in the past, instead of continuing to go after the QB with a lead in "crunch time", he characteristically resorts to dropping everyone in coverage instead of pressuring the passer with the same predictable results as in the first lost to Pittsburgh and the loss to Tennessee. I keep asking myself if these genius' will ever "get it", but apparently they will not! That being said, there are no really "super" teams this year which leaves the championship wide open for those teams fortunate enough to make the playoffs.....
yes , we go to the three man rush and on the TD it was two man rush
RolleisTRASH

Mechanicsville, VA

#12 Dec 15, 2008
Flacco played AWFUL, but Cam Cameron had a LOT to do with that with his lame scary play calling, sometimes these coaches try to be so smart instead of doing what got you there in the first place.
But at the same time Cam Cameron didn't tell Flacco to completely be inacurrate when it counted the most. We missed out on two TD's because of the rookie, but he is a rookie so you just gotta sit there and take it!

“The Lombardi Sixpack”

Since: Feb 08

Butler, PA

#13 Dec 15, 2008
The Armchair QB wrote:
the steelers are a super team because they have the best defense in the nfl and maybe the best ever. They have been shutting down teams in the second half. The good news for the black and gold is that the D is getting better each game which is big time trouble for any afc team that has playoff hopes.
Peej

Atlanta, GA

#14 Dec 15, 2008
larry g wrote:
<quoted text>
Also check that Heap was open beggin for the ball and flacco did not pull the trigger , complete that pass and it's first down on the 18-20 and we can just about run out the clock
Actually, the camera angle I saw showed Heap drawing double coverage until he broke left.

As has been said at least a million times, rookies don't quite trust their eyes. If Flacco had thrown just as Heap broke, we might have had a first down.

But, like most rookies (I saw Matt Ryan picked twice on Sunday because he did the same thing), Flacco waited a second too long and, by then, Heap was covered again.

What impressed me about the kid is that he didn't make excuses for his play.
Jon

Germantown, MD

#15 Dec 15, 2008
Rich wrote:
I agree if we use this same game d plan in the fourth quarter against Dallas, Tony Romo will do the same thing as Big Ben did to us. Also the old run, run, pass offensive is just too predictable. I hope Ray Rice, Fabian Washington and Jarret Johnson are healthy for this Saturday night game.
Reality

Owings Mills, MD

#16 Dec 15, 2008
I think Joe and Cam are brilliant when we win and not so cool when we lose, but that's just me.
Josh

Hyattsville, MD

#17 Dec 15, 2008
just saw the game yesterday dropped his passer rating on the season almost 5 full points!

still, that loss isn't on flacco, its on play calling, and a great steelers defense that have made far more experience pro-bowl QB's look just as bad
magicman

Porter, TX

#18 Dec 15, 2008
poiu wrote:
Flacco is no Roethlisberger; Ben was making plays and going to the Super Bowl as a rookie so saying Flacco is "only 23" or "he's just a rookie" DO NOT PAN OUT! Winners win and the elite rise to the top; losers and wannabes make excuses; Roethlisberger is a winner and an elite QB, Flacco isn't.
Roethlisberger did not go to the Superbowl as a rookie. When he did go he set the record for lowest QB rating for a wining QB. If you thing Roethlisberger hasn't improved over his years in the lague then you don't know football. Do you have any idea what peyton Manning's first year stats look like or how his team played. It's way to early to make any statement about how good or bad Flacco will be. Another question to ponder. How many QB have looked good against the Steelers D this year.
Sandman

Baltimore, MD

#19 Dec 15, 2008
Mason, Heap, and Clayton, and it's Flacco's fault. Please. Mason is the only one who has had any consistency. He needed to make that catch in the End Zone yesterday! That's what teams that win Championships do. Make big plays. The Ravens biggest play maker is a Safety?
Josh

Hyattsville, MD

#20 Dec 15, 2008
magicman wrote:
<quoted text>
Roethlisberger did not go to the Superbowl as a rookie. When he did go he set the record for lowest QB rating for a wining QB. If you thing Roethlisberger hasn't improved over his years in the lague then you don't know football. Do you have any idea what peyton Manning's first year stats look like or how his team played. It's way to early to make any statement about how good or bad Flacco will be. Another question to ponder. How many QB have looked good against the Steelers D this year.

some might claim peyton did, but he got lucky on a 64 yard TD to wayne that should have been picked by Ike, bad bounce, bad luck, call it what you want. That padded his stats...take back that long TD and his passer rating drops below the Kordoza line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aaron Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tomlin-Era Drafts Have Stunted Steelers' Growth (Dec '12) Dec '12 justa 2
News Pittsburgh Steelers: Kevin Colbert Understands ... (Jul '12) Jul '12 steel pony 1
News An alternative to drafting a NT (Feb '12) Feb '12 Extent 4
News Steelers pick up roles as Batman movie extras (Aug '11) Sep '11 Batfarts 3
News Steelers Take Heyward In 1st Round | WBNS-10TV,... (Apr '11) Apr '11 SLT 3
News Ravens, Steelers fans flock to local bars (Jan '11) Jan '11 Hair 41
News Browns potentially could ruin Steelers' season (Dec '10) Dec '10 ManofSteel 1
More from around the web