Steelers 'D' puts end to debate

Steelers 'D' puts end to debate

There are 72 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Steelers 'D' puts end to debate. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Captain James Farrior , linebacker Larry Foote and safety Ryan Clark are eloquent spokesmen for the NFL 's supreme defense, but it was backup cornerback William Gay who best put into words the proud unit's ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Donta

Baltimore, MD

#1 Dec 14, 2008
Ron Cook Is a clown and let him run his mouth his team won and the Ravens can only blam themselves they are having a good year and the future looks bright that Is all that you can say and shut the Steelers up next season.
Rob

Las Vegas, NV

#2 Dec 14, 2008
The stealers always have a great defense.....but when you factor in the utter self destruction done to the Ravens year after year by their own offense..... there is no question that the Ravens defense is better....the Ravens defense has had to be so close to perfect for so long that it has been forged into a diamond by the ungodly pressure.....this game was another prime example.....the stealers have offense which takes pressure off their defense .....the Ravens have had no such help until recently and then only against inferior or struggling teams .....if Flacco truely was a 40 millon $ Franchise quarterback like Ryan is proving to be ....the Ravens could have easily won this game...but he's not...... and Camerons play calling proved that he absolutely knows Flacco is a 40 millon $ liability.
AK_Steelerfan

Fairbanks, AK

#3 Dec 15, 2008
Donta wrote:
Ron Cook Is a clown and let him run his mouth his team won and the Ravens can only blam themselves they are having a good year and the future looks bright that Is all that you can say and shut the Steelers up next season.
...future looks bright?..are the Ravens moving out of the AFC and to the NFC? You'll be our bitches just like the Browns...get use to it....purple Browns..thats all you are.
Bill

Bethel Park, PA

#4 Dec 15, 2008
Donta wrote:
Ron Cook Is a clown and let him run his mouth his team won and the Ravens can only blam themselves they are having a good year and the future looks bright that Is all that you can say and shut the Steelers up next season.
I'ts Always next year. The cry of the losers. You are too stupid to learn.
Josh

Warren, MI

#5 Dec 15, 2008
No Question, the Steelers Defense owned the ravens offense. If not for a turn-over, given to you in FG range, and a punt return, with a questionable no call on a hold on the return, that set you up in fg range this was a 6-3 game without the oft disputed TD
Gravdigr

Altoona, PA

#6 Dec 15, 2008
"The steelers always have a great defense.....but when you factor in the utter self destruction done to the Ravens year after year by their own offense..... there is no question that the Ravens defense is better..."

You're kidding right. Have you watched the steelers offense? It's offensive. Ranked 26th in the league before last night. The steelers D gives the offense gift after gift after gift and they can't do jack with it. These last 2 games shouldn't have even been close. If the steelers go anywhere in the postseason the offense owes the entire defense big steak dinners, casey hampton will need 2 or 3.

Since: Jul 08

Baltimore

#7 Dec 15, 2008
AK_Steelerfan wrote:
<quoted text>
...future looks bright?..are the Ravens moving out of the AFC and to the NFC? You'll be our bitches just like the Browns...get use to it....purple Browns..thats all you are.
troll alert.

Since: Jul 08

Baltimore

#8 Dec 15, 2008
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
I'ts Always next year. The cry of the losers. You are too stupid to learn.
Second troll alert. It's easy running your mouth when the refs have had your back since the conception of the league. I know you guys see it, it's on every NFL site, and every sports talk show. Without the refs, you guys would still be in a 20 year superbowl drought...nice try fatty, but i'm smarter than you.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#9 Dec 15, 2008
Budafinguz wrote:
<quoted text>
Second troll alert. It's easy running your mouth when the refs have had your back since the conception of the league. I know you guys see it, it's on every NFL site, and every sports talk show. Without the refs, you guys would still be in a 20 year superbowl drought...nice try fatty, but i'm smarter than you.
Oh c'mon about the refs...so you say we get all the calls? Yeah right! What about the San Diego game, they took points off the board when Polamalu ran it in late, luckily we were in the lead already. What about the egregious pass interference against Hines Ward in 2001 against the Patriots? Or the late hit on Kordell Stewart in the same game.
Harrison and Smith were held on the Heap catch? Where is that call.

Bottom line is the refs are bad across the board or the rules have become so interperative..or a combination.

It was a tough game and a great game...both defenses played their hearts out, any play could have broken it for either side. As a Steeler fan, I am thrilled we left the stadium with the win...as a football fan...I'd like to see them play again.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#10 Dec 15, 2008
Budafinguz wrote:
<quoted text>
Second troll alert. It's easy running your mouth when the refs have had your back since the conception of the league. I know you guys see it, it's on every NFL site, and every sports talk show. Without the refs, you guys would still be in a 20 year superbowl drought...nice try fatty, but i'm smarter than you.
Also...its inception, not conception! In addition, the Steelers were not in the inception of the league. Please do some research! Otherwise, it was a great game...no go focus on shutting the doors on the "hole" (Texas Stadium), and we are off to Nashville!
george

Canada

#11 Dec 15, 2008
i love the steelers and the TD may seem Questionable but the refs took a long hard look at it so the call they made was obviosly legit. and therfore steelers have DIVISION !!! YEA!
Al_UMBC_Alum

Rockville, MD

#12 Dec 15, 2008
I'm a Ravens fan, but I have to admit that this game was a classic. It was a physical clash of the game's best defenses. I don't care about "controversial calls". Even Ray Lewis said that they shouldn't have let the Steelers get in position to win the game, regardless of the call. It was a good game. I wish the Ravens would have won, but I gotta hand it to the Steelers, they played tough and pulled through. But I saw a lot to like in the way the Ravens D and special teams played yesterday. Our offense was off, but again, the Steelers D played very well. So, they get the division. But I can still hope for playoffs. It ain't over yet.

Since: Jul 08

Baltimore

#13 Dec 15, 2008
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh c'mon about the refs...so you say we get all the calls? Yeah right! What about the San Diego game, they took points off the board when Polamalu ran it in late, luckily we were in the lead already. What about the egregious pass interference against Hines Ward in 2001 against the Patriots? Or the late hit on Kordell Stewart in the same game.
Harrison and Smith were held on the Heap catch? Where is that call.
Bottom line is the refs are bad across the board or the rules have become so interperative..or a combination.
It was a tough game and a great game...both defenses played their hearts out, any play could have broken it for either side. As a Steeler fan, I am thrilled we left the stadium with the win...as a football fan...I'd like to see them play again.
You don't know how it is being a Ravens fan. This has happened for years. Ever since the Bart Scott incident with Officials in Detroit. How bout the Pats game on Monday night last year? You guys practically had Superbowl XL gift wrapped for you by the Refs. Don't think that that was the only crucial call to go your way. How bout the 3rd down conversion on your first scoring drive?? WTF was that?!?! It was crazy. The commentators were even saying, "well they'll obviously overturn this one." And on that same drive, on another crucial 3rd and long, the play clock hit zero, and Ben snaps the ball about 3 seconds later, i was screamin, DELAY DELAY!!!! naturally, they picked up the first down to get into FG position. Harrison was held, but you guys got the significant, game-changing calls. It was wrong. And the last TD... The replays were inconclusive!!! Nobody can tell me that they saw anything conclusive to overturn the call, so it should have went with the call on the field, regardless of what it was. I read sports' sites all day at work, and I havn't heard anyone, outside of Pitt, who believes it was a TD. It's hard enough beating the Steelers, they've got the best defense in the league, but the Refs proved to be a bit too much.

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#14 Dec 15, 2008
Budafinguz wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know how it is being a Ravens fan. This has happened for years. Ever since the Bart Scott incident with Officials in Detroit. How bout the Pats game on Monday night last year? You guys practically had Superbowl XL gift wrapped for you by the Refs. Don't think that that was the only crucial call to go your way. How bout the 3rd down conversion on your first scoring drive?? WTF was that?!?! It was crazy. The commentators were even saying, "well they'll obviously overturn this one." And on that same drive, on another crucial 3rd and long, the play clock hit zero, and Ben snaps the ball about 3 seconds later, i was screamin, DELAY DELAY!!!! naturally, they picked up the first down to get into FG position. Harrison was held, but you guys got the significant, game-changing calls. It was wrong. And the last TD... The replays were inconclusive!!! Nobody can tell me that they saw anything conclusive to overturn the call, so it should have went with the call on the field, regardless of what it was. I read sports' sites all day at work, and I havn't heard anyone, outside of Pitt, who believes it was a TD. It's hard enough beating the Steelers, they've got the best defense in the league, but the Refs proved to be a bit too much.
Don't give me the "I don't know how it is being a Ravens fan," I am sorry I don't want to hear that. Every fan has an inferior complex, or the 'refs are against us,' its not solely the Ravens & Fans. Its part of being a fan I supposse. How do you think Raiders fans feel? The tuck rule? C'mon...yeah the interpretation is correct, but really, what a stupid rule.

How bout when Troy Polamalu picked off Manning in the AFC Divisional Playoff game, only to fumble and recover it and have the ref say he did not make a 'football move.' He clearly secured it.

I was at the game and noticed that the play clock was winding down, I wills ay I am not sure if there was a delay on the board or not (or it was fast), because the official keeps the time record. Flacco was late getting one out too, so I think it may have been a timing issue on the play clock.

I do agree with the Gary Russell non-1st down, I will say that...I am not sure what they saw to give the first down...from where I was sitting, it didn't appear to be close, but I couldn't tell where the ball really was or if the stick was at an angle. I'll give you that one.

But I will say, avoid the commentators at all costs, especially Jim Nance...I watched the game when I got home on Tivo, and I felt like they watched a completely different game, or maybe they stole my Natty Boh's or something. The Great Phil Simms was in rare form too.

SB XL, I am not sure what the reference is there, I only remember the Big Ben scramble for TD that was controversial. I didn't think he got in initially...but the ref saw it differently, and he said that he could see the tip of the ball cross as Ben came down to the ground. What else can you do? He obviously saw something or felt the angle was good...who knows?

Fortunately or unfortunately, it is part of the game.

As for Bart Scott, if he keeps himself in check, Boller and the Ravens could have knocked off the Pats last year. I actually picked them in a Survivor Pool to win...I was so close. I'll never forgive Rob Ryan for calling that illadvised timeout :)

Go turn out the lights in Dallas...that stadium was a disaster!

Since: Jul 08

Baltimore

#15 Dec 17, 2008
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>Don't give me the "I don't know how it is being a Ravens fan," I am sorry I don't want to hear that. Every fan has an inferior complex, or the 'refs are against us,' its not solely the Ravens & Fans. Its part of being a fan I supposse. How do you think Raiders fans feel? The tuck rule? C'mon...yeah the interpretation is correct, but really, what a stupid rule.
How bout when Troy Polamalu picked off Manning in the AFC Divisional Playoff game, only to fumble and recover it and have the ref say he did not make a 'football move.' He clearly secured it.
I was at the game and noticed that the play clock was winding down, I wills ay I am not sure if there was a delay on the board or not (or it was fast), because the official keeps the time record. Flacco was late getting one out too, so I think it may have been a timing issue on the play clock.
I do agree with the Gary Russell non-1st down, I will say that...I am not sure what they saw to give the first down...from where I was sitting, it didn't appear to be close, but I couldn't tell where the ball really was or if the stick was at an angle. I'll give you that one.
But I will say, avoid the commentators at all costs, especially Jim Nance...I watched the game when I got home on Tivo, and I felt like they watched a completely different game, or maybe they stole my Natty Boh's or something. The Great Phil Simms was in rare form too.
SB XL, I am not sure what the reference is there, I only remember the Big Ben scramble for TD that was controversial. I didn't think he got in initially...but the ref saw it differently, and he said that he could see the tip of the ball cross as Ben came down to the ground. What else can you do? He obviously saw something or felt the angle was good...who knows?
Fortunately or unfortunately, it is part of the game.
As for Bart Scott, if he keeps himself in check, Boller and the Ravens could have knocked off the Pats last year. I actually picked them in a Survivor Pool to win...I was so close. I'll never forgive Rob Ryan for calling that illadvised timeout :)
Go turn out the lights in Dallas...that stadium was a disaster!
A Pittsburgh fan drinking Natty Boh.... that almost qualifies as treason.... as long as we make the playoffs i dont care at all, but considering the circumstances, it's gonna be this game, and the Titans game which was also taken from us on a non existent roughing the passer penalty on a 3rd and long on the final drive, ironically there was a false start on the play but the refs didn't care to stop the play. This game was not directly taken away by the Refs, but the Titans game was. Without the roughing the passer call, we run out the clock. We have a right to be pissed, our team has given one of its best efforts in team history, in my opinion, and if we don't make the playoffs, it's gonna be in large part to the refs incompetence to call it like it is instead of how they want it to be. I'm speaking more of the Titans game than the Steelers game, but while the Refs might have not directly cost us the Pitt game, they definitely made it harder and aided you guys on the first scoring drive twice, as far as the late TD, it was too close to call but you can't overturn the call on the field based on the replay. I don't know why it's so hard to believe, Pitt is a much bigger market than Bmore, they have a vested interest in the Steelers' success.
muchskillzz

United States

#16 Dec 17, 2008
THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS WILL "FAULTER" BE WARE. WHY? because it is what it damit watch. from a [DIE HARD TITAN FAN FOR REAL!!!]
muchskillzz

United States

#17 Dec 17, 2008
it is what it is damit!!!![TITAN POWER]

Since: Dec 08

Latrobe, PA

#18 Dec 17, 2008
Budafinguz wrote:
<quoted text>
A Pittsburgh fan drinking Natty Boh.... that almost qualifies as treason.... as long as we make the playoffs i dont care at all, but considering the circumstances, it's gonna be this game, and the Titans game which was also taken from us on a non existent roughing the passer penalty on a 3rd and long on the final drive, ironically there was a false start on the play but the refs didn't care to stop the play. This game was not directly taken away by the Refs, but the Titans game was. Without the roughing the passer call, we run out the clock. We have a right to be pissed, our team has given one of its best efforts in team history, in my opinion, and if we don't make the playoffs, it's gonna be in large part to the refs incompetence to call it like it is instead of how they want it to be. I'm speaking more of the Titans game than the Steelers game, but while the Refs might have not directly cost us the Pitt game, they definitely made it harder and aided you guys on the first scoring drive twice, as far as the late TD, it was too close to call but you can't overturn the call on the field based on the replay. I don't know why it's so hard to believe, Pitt is a much bigger market than Bmore, they have a vested interest in the Steelers' success.
i certainly understand your frustration, especially in the Titans @ Ravens game...I agree that was a lousy call...I understand the league wanting to protect its QB's, but that was silly to call that. Funny how they want to protect the QB's, but Big Ben, Kyle Boller, and guys like that can get thrown around like rag dolls and nothing is called.

But I don't believe in the conspiracy and that they want the Steelers to do better because of their market. If that were the case, wouldn't Dallas & NY Giants always be in the Superbowl? The league deems them "pretty," much like the Patriots and other so-called flashy teams.

Plus, 3 times in 1999, the Steelers were issued direct apologies from the league in games that had egregious mishaps by the officials -- two of which cost them games, the other changed the course of the game.

I think in this latest game (the TD call), I believe (taking off my Steelers hat for a second) the Official really tried to get it right and he felt based on the views he had, the ball crossed or touched the plane of the endzone.

Would I have reversed the ruling one the field at first? Maybe not, but I think given the circumstance, Walt Coleman gave it his best and felt a particular way about it.

And believe me, Walt Coleman is infamous in Pittsburgh, he was part of one of the games in 1999.

Since: Sep 08

Westerville, OH

#19 Dec 17, 2008
Pittsburgh going to the Superbowl...Here we go!

“NFL + NCAA Football!!”

Since: Dec 08

Annandale, VA

#20 Dec 18, 2008
Biff 33 wrote:
<quoted text>
Plus, 3 times in 1999, the Steelers were issued direct apologies from the league in games that had egregious mishaps by the officials -- two of which cost them games, the other changed the course of the game.
I think in this latest game (the TD call), I believe (taking off my Steelers hat for a second) the Official really tried to get it right and he felt based on the views he had, the ball crossed or touched the plane of the endzone.
Let's not forget the playoff game in Indy in 2005 whe Troy P. intercepted that Manning pass but wasn't credited with the catch. The league later admitted their mistake. It didn't cost the Steelers the game but it sure could have. Even the Polamalu TD interception return in week 11 against San Diego, though it no effect on the outcome of the game (unless you had a bet down giving or receiving points) shows the Steelers often get the short end of the officiating stick.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Aaron Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tomlin-Era Drafts Have Stunted Steelers' Growth (Dec '12) Dec '12 justa 2
News Pittsburgh Steelers: Kevin Colbert Understands ... (Jul '12) Jul '12 steel pony 1
News An alternative to drafting a NT (Feb '12) Feb '12 Extent 4
News Steelers pick up roles as Batman movie extras (Aug '11) Sep '11 Batfarts 3
News Steelers Take Heyward In 1st Round | WBNS-10TV,... (Apr '11) Apr '11 SLT 3
News Ravens, Steelers fans flock to local bars (Jan '11) Jan '11 Hair 41
News Browns potentially could ruin Steelers' season (Dec '10) Dec '10 ManofSteel 1
More from around the web