Giants' MVP: Could it be Tiki?

Full story: Newsday

Tiki, take a bow. If the Giants and their fans -- this includes the ones in the stands and the ones disguised as media members -- are inclined to blame Tiki Barber for the team's woes last season, they have no ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
dud dew

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

As always, Wally, interesting take...
Geo

Pittsburg, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Are you serious?
Michael

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Does this idiot get paid for this trash??

Wake up - Eli would have thrown more and we would have had at least 2 more TD's IF WE EVER GOT THE BALL. How many 8:00+ drives did Dallas have?? That leaves no time on the clock Mr. "sportswriter."

I know some of you hate Manning for some reason. But this might be a new low.

Moron.
Eric

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Typical Wally garbage. Absolutely, Tiki was a divisive force and a me first player. The stats you bring up mean nothing. Do you actually watch the games or just look at the stat lines? Gilbride understands that you do not ask Eli to win games you beg him not to lose them? Explain then the touchdown drive at the end of the first half. If you beg Eli not to lose the game you take a knee down 14-7 and hope your D can turn it around in the second half. Instead they put it on Eli to get them down the field and get some points. Against Tampa our run game didn't go wild and against one of the top units against the pass Eli was flawless. Making smart plays and getting his team points. I have yet to read an insightful well written article from you. You seem only interested in annoying the fan base of the teams you cover. Do you have children? If so I feel bad for them. To suggest that Archie favors Peyton over Eli because he's had more success is absurd and insulting to fathers everywhere. I don't blame last year entirely on Tiki. Team chemistry can be a fickle thing. You would know this Wally if you had gotten off your fat a$$ and played sports. So tiki being selfish and divisive hurt the team. Injuries were the primary reason for the 8-8 finish. Stats can be manipulated to prove any point you want. For instance, in 1992 Hall of Fame QB Troy Aikman threw a CAREER high 23 td's. It was the only time he ever threw more than twenty td's. He played with a hall of fame running back, a hall of fame receiver, a tight end who made 5 pro bowls in his time there, and behind an offensive line widely regarded as one of the best ever. His stats were never flashy. As Aikman was always fond of saying...Jerry Jones doesn't pay me to throw for 4000 yards. I get paid to win ball games. You can keep the flash and style of Romo, I'll take Eli just winning games. How many picks did Romo throw this season? I believe it was, wait, oh 19!!! One less than Eli. Who looked skittish and upset when he was getting hit? Romo again. Without TO Romo is NOTHING. He's 0-2 in the playoffs. He cost his team both games with turnovers at the end. This marks the second consecutive year in which Romo's play has faded down the stretch. But hey he smiles a lot and dates skanky celebrities and TO cries for him. So he has that going for him.
bruce

Charleston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Tiki is universally hated by all Giants fans for his evil comments. He is MVP because his cowardly, backstabbing, and weasel ways were NOT part of this years team. Giants fans will NEVER forgive him.
pverne

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Interesting post. A great comeback from your Clemens rantings.
What

Norwood, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

I am no fan of Tivi, but honestly, are you an idiot?
FergsNVA

Lynchburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Wally,

You're another example of a moronic "sports" writer who fuels most of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality that runs in many NY fans. It's this kind of crap that makes alot of players not want to play here and/or happy when they leave.

"Gilbride asking Eli not to lose the game?" Do you actually watch the games, or just write your columns after watching that Hall of Famer QB Sean Salisbury on ESPN?

First of all, if Romo were playing in NY, he'd be run out of town. Secondly, Eli is one of the best QB's in the no huddle, it's just Coughlin and Gilbride call horrible plays. The last game vs. the Redskins was evident of that. You and smart "sports writers" like Lupica, say Eli is a bust, yet ignore that we've been to the playoffs every year he's been the starter. Ignore the fact that the first 2 years, the Giants were injury depleted by the time the playoffs came around, and ignore the fact that Eli has been more productive than Payton was at this point in his career. Eli may not become a Hall of Famer, but he will become a solid Pro-Bowler, who'll win more Super Bowls than Tony Homo. You say

As far as Tiki goes, isn't it kind of funny that the crying that once was a staple in the Giants lockerroom has pretty much stopped since he's been gone? Sure, Tiki was a great back, but he criticized the coach that cured his fumbleitus and made him that great back. He ran his mouth about his teammates. He was TO-Lite. Tiki, shut up, good bye, and good riddance.

Wally, don't quit your day job anytime soon.
average reader

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

yea yea Wally. Saw you writing this one miles away. Such a hack
Michael Steinbrenner

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

No injuries this year? Didn't the Giants have THREE players who suffered broken legs, not just Shockey? It seemed like every week the Giants would have to lose since there was no way the subs could compensate... plus there was Strahan's layoff...
whodat

Bangkok, Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Tiki did motivate them by retiring,Green Bay is going to kick butt,New England the Super Bowl champs again.

Since: Oct 07

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Actually, I believe we probably would have won 1-2 more regular season games with him. He was Eli's "check reciever", and darn good at that. But, this team has a pretty good "US" chemistry that they would have never had with him. So, addition by subtraction seems to have worked.
At this point, it'd be tough to pick the team MVP, and that tells you something about this team.
JAMES DOLAN

Middle Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

IVE GOT MY OWN PROBLEMS TO WORRY ABOUT !
Jen

Teaneck, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

The only thing I'm crediting Tiki with is being a jerk! He's a traitorous moron and I wouldn't want him on my team no matter how good he is.
Go blow Tiki!
Jim

Ridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

This is so lame. Why don't you just run a big headline saying "I can't think of anything to write!"
Tony P

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

You must be the most loneliest, most miserable, deprived person on this planet. To even think of something like this is beyond pathetic.
I will pray for you!!!!
shan

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Same defense as last year? Anyone with two eyes who watched the game sunday knows that isn't the case and knows why the Giants won. Wallace, you must be blind, maybe Newsday can give you stats in braille so you'd know that the Giants defense went from 25th overall last year to 7th while the passing game went backwards in every statistical category.

Your column is not only an insult to the best RB in Giants history, it's an insult to Osi and his linemates and to the talented DC who turned this defense around. You know, the guys raised their level of play when the season was on the line and willed the Giants into the next round?

There is one other factor that's come into play over the last month. The offensive braintrust finally woke up and realized they'll never get anywhere pretending Eli is Brady or Farve and installed a run first\play action offense that doesn't live or die on Eli's limited ability to throw it downfield under pressure. Is that what you mean by 'becoming a Manning'?

I can't believe Newsday pays you to write this stuff. It belongs on a fanclub site.
peps

North Bergen, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Tiki deserves to have the Giants win the Superbowl... Even with his T.V. money, he must be burning inside knowing the team is winning without him.
Pete Gogolak

Huntington Station, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

It was the media who made the big deal about Barber's retirement. The media wrote the articles, spent countless hours debating it on Sports talk radio. The media made it a distraction. Players play, the media are the ones who make mountains out of molehills.
The media never ever looks in the mirror at what they do. The are quick to cast dispersions at others, but never at themselves.
We live in an age where the media tries very hard to be bigger than the event they cover. We live in an age where 24 hour sports tv and radio are considered the norm. The media creates all this nonsense and the gullable public sucks it all in.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Aaron Ross Discussions

Search the Aaron Ross Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Aaron Hernandez associate pleads not guilty to ... May '14 Laughing Bear Fan 1
New York Giants Place Aaron Ross on IR, Activat... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Anonymous 1
Jacksonville Jaguars 2013 Offseason Needs: Corn... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Charles 1
Jags D Much Better With Cox, Mathis (Oct '12) Jan '13 Norma 4
Jaguars salary cap space 2013: Plenty to spend (Jan '13) Jan '13 norma 1
Jacksonville Jaguars: 5 Reasons Team Will Impro... (May '12) May '12 well 2
New York Giants 2012 Offseason: New York $3.4 M... (Apr '12) Apr '12 flbadcatowner 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••