Green Bay Packers: Ted Thompson should trade down

Apr 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TwinCities

Last year, Ted Thompson was the bold one. The Green Bay Packer general manager was the cavalier chasing up his draft board for potential starters on defense.

Comments
1 - 20 of 89 Comments Last updated Apr 29, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Laughing Bear Fan

Longmont, CO

#1 Apr 18, 2013
He's going to have to trade down because of LOA

LOA = LOFT

L ack
O f
A ffordability

equals

L ack
O f
F rickin'
T alent
winning packer fan

United States

#2 Apr 18, 2013
Lmao......Mathews the highest paid linebacker, Rodgers soon to be the highest paid QB.....i think they can sign a first round pick
eric

Monroe, WI

#3 Apr 19, 2013
Only problem there is we have been hearing TT trades down because of blah blah blah and YET GB won 2 straight division titles,won a SB and 4 straight playoff appearences in a cap ear that is supposed to spread parity through out so everyone has an equal shot at winning the thing..How many different SB champs over the past 10-15 years,how many different playoff teams over the past several years and YET GB always seems to be there in recent past,so its safe to say Ted Thompson has done a real nice job doing what hes doing.
Not to mention GB still has more cap room then Chicago does ( as of yesterday 15.6M) and Rodgers new deal will be extended to his current deal so some new money will be thrown on his current bargin deal so GB still wont get hit to badly unless TT really wants to front load Rodgers to eat all cap space this year coming up ( 2013 season) so it opens space for 14 and beyond..Simple fact is,Green Bay has not only one of the best GMs in the NFL today,but, one of the best management groups in the NFL and organizations in the NFL. SO far TT and Co. have been pretty good at cap management,when they are up against the cap,they have vets who are let go,released, traded or left via FA and younger players there to replace them and they still remained on top or near the top.
Laughing Bear Fan

Longmont, CO

#4 Apr 19, 2013
eric wrote:
Simple fact is,Green Bay has not only one of the best GMs in the NFL today,but, one of the best management groups in the NFL and organizations in the NFL. SO far TT and Co. have been pretty good at cap management,when they are up against the cap,they have vets who are let go,released, traded or left via FA and younger players there to replace them and they still remained on top or near the top.
Slow down there...
There is a group in New England who have been to more superbowls in the last dozen years than the packers have in their entire existence
That's rarified air
GBPmies

Finland

#5 Apr 19, 2013
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Slow down there...
There is a group in New England who have been to more superbowls in the last dozen years than the packers have in their entire existence
That's rarified air
True NE has also been quite good (unlike the bears), but eric wrote "at the top or near the top" The Packers have been "at the top" more recent then the Pats but yes the Pats have been near the top more often.

A bears fan commenting on this topic is pretty much irrelevant considering the bears failures and complete ineptness.

Maybe as a bears fan you could explain to all of us -- if a bears fan wants to show another team is better than the Pack why they NEVER use the bears as their example? Why do they always choose another team that is succesful? Is it the failure of the bears? I bet so.

If I wanted to show how another team is better than the bears I only need to use the Packers as an example.

See what I am getting at here?
GBPmies

Finland

#6 Apr 19, 2013
The current Packers organization has a proven track record of winning, constantly making the playoffs, winning the division, and consistently beating the bears and the rest of the NFC North.

I am not sure why bears fans need to try and compare their team to a far more superior team in the Packers.

It would make more sense if they would be fighting it out with the Lions or Vikings fans for what team will be closest to smelling the Packers ass and fighting for a wild card spot.
Laughing Bear Fan

Longmont, CO

#7 Apr 19, 2013
Green Bay, the toilet paper capital of the world
Thats a far more valuable claim to fame than the home of the packers
GBPmies

Finland

#8 Apr 19, 2013
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
Green Bay, the toilet paper capital of the world
Thats a far more valuable claim to fame than the home of the packers
This was weak the first time you wrote it, months ago. Nice retort though.
eric

Monroe, WI

#9 Apr 19, 2013
Laughing Bear Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Slow down there...
That's rarified air
I did say at the top or near the top.Yes,NE has been to a few SB in the last dozen years, 01,03 and 04,won them all,got caught cheating,then made the SB in 08 and 11 and lost both,but i think we can all agree Ted Thompson has done a tremendous job and deservedly concidered one of the best GMs in the game
Old Time GB fan Mr Pack

Rochester, MN

#10 Apr 21, 2013
I have been around a long time and have seen alot of football. The 1985 Chicago Bears are the greatest single season team in the modern history of the NFL. As a Packer fan I can admit, no Packer team could have touched that Bears team. TT is ruining this team, not so much from a W and L record, but from a structure standpoint. The Packers are first and foremost a power running team with a stout defense. Neither exists today. We have players who don't cut their hair, and just simply don't conduct themselves as the previous Packer players did. For the first time as a Pack fan I am hoping the squad goes 0 and 16 and TT is fired so we can bring some class back to this organization.
packerbacker-wic hita-ks

Wichita, KS

#11 Apr 21, 2013
Old Time GB fan Mr Pack wrote:
I have been around a long time and have seen alot of football. The 1985 Chicago Bears are the greatest single season team in the modern history of the NFL. As a Packer fan I can admit, no Packer team could have touched that Bears team. TT is ruining this team, not so much from a W and L record, but from a structure standpoint. The Packers are first and foremost a power running team with a stout defense. Neither exists today. We have players who don't cut their hair, and just simply don't conduct themselves as the previous Packer players did. For the first time as a Pack fan I am hoping the squad goes 0 and 16 and TT is fired so we can bring some class back to this organization.
Sir, I agree with a lot of what you say here. Unfortunately, the NFL has evolved to a passing game and the days of power running are long gone. Unfortunately, the players of yesteryear are long gone also. As we all know athletes are a different breed now. More individualistic rather than team players like the days of old. Money has a lot to do with that. TT has to run this team from a structure standpoint. He will simply not throw $$$ at high priced free agents and continue to build via the draft. I think he is a class act and does concern himself with W's and L's. What right minded GM wouldn't? That being said, if the team starts sliding in the next few years then the GM's and coaching staff"s jobs will have to be evaluated. I don't think you want to see the team go 0-16 just to see someone get fired. Let's see how this plays out and let the organization use their best judgement.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#12 Apr 21, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
The current Packers organization has a proven track record of winning, constantly making the playoffs, winning the division, and consistently beating the bears and the rest of the NFC North.
I am not sure why bears fans need to try and compare their team to a far more superior team in the Packers.
It would make more sense if they would be fighting it out with the Lions or Vikings fans for what team will be closest to smelling the Packers ass and fighting for a wild card spot.
Doesnt matter what you did 3 years ago 0r what you did in 1997.Ever since you won the superbowl in 2011 youve been decling in every category.You arent keeping up with the Vikings.You have a terrible running back,terrible offensive line,terrible defensive line,and terrible secondary.Ted Thompson is ruining that team.You have to pay Rodgers and Matthews that kind of money or the fans wont show up.You have nobody else on the team of any mention.Im sure youll say Im wrong cause you won the superbowl in 2011.

Location hidden

#13 Apr 21, 2013
packerbacker-wichita-ks wrote:
<quoted text>Sir, I agree with a lot of what you say here. Unfortunately, the NFL has evolved to a passing game and the days of power running are long gone. Unfortunately, the players of yesteryear are long gone also. As we all know athletes are a different breed now. More individualistic rather than team players like the days of old. Money has a lot to do with that. TT has to run this team from a structure standpoint. He will simply not throw $$$ at high priced free agents and continue to build via the draft. I think he is a class act and does concern himself with W's and L's. What right minded GM wouldn't? That being said, if the team starts sliding in the next few years then the GM's and coaching staff"s jobs will have to be evaluated. I don't think you want to see the team go 0-16 just to see someone get fired. Let's see how this plays out and let the organization use their best judgement.
I do.
eric

Monroe, WI

#14 Apr 21, 2013
I can prob name 27 or so teams that would love to be Green Bay over the last few years.NYG won 2 SB ( 08 and 11) Baltimore ( 12) SF ( won none lately but got to SB last year and lost in the NFC title game in 11 vs NY)GB won the SB in 10, playoffs in 11 and 12 and not including 09 either.making the playoffs 4 straight years under Rodgers, How many teams made the Playoffs 4 straight years? AND GB has their best play ers going into their prime now,a few players needed last year coming back this year AND the 2 weaknesses are both lines AND this draft is deep in those areas so TT should be able to fill some holes and most important both TT and MM realize the weaknesses,admitted mistakes and not being big enough,tough enough and is aiming at fixing this.We shall see but sounds like they know whats what and they are regarded as one of the top organizations in the NFL, they can get it done,TT already won a SB and no reason why TT cant draft a few good players and improve defense and the oline
GBPmies

Finland

#16 Apr 22, 2013
Bleeds Purple wrote:
<quoted text>Doesnt matter what you did 3 years ago 0r what you did in 1997.Ever since you won the superbowl in 2011 youve been decling in every category.You arent keeping up with the Vikings.You have a terrible running back,terrible offensive line,terrible defensive line,and terrible secondary.Ted Thompson is ruining that team.You have to pay Rodgers and Matthews that kind of money or the fans wont show up.You have nobody else on the team of any mention.Im sure youll say Im wrong cause you won the superbowl in 2011.
It doesn’t matter what happened 3 yrs ago?

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it"
- Churchill

It matter to me what the Packers did 3 yrs ago, it matters to me what they have done EVERY year. I thinking looking at a team’s past and most recent past is a good indication of where they are going. Maybe you are not interested in what the Vikings have done the past few years because they have not done much of anything at all. Probably something you do not want to see “repeated” I presume.

As for keeping up with the Vikings… keeping up with what exactly? Now they are hot sh** because they made the wild card after not making the playoffs since the Saints game?

It remains to be seen how the Vikings will continue to progress over the next years, they have done a good job in the last 1 year, 1 year. I am not sure how their new GM will run things or what success he will have (he has not proven anything yet), who will be coaching in the future (Frazier is in another prove it contract) and what old players will be returning over the next years (How many older players are FAs in 2014 other than the entire Dline)

Like I said the Packers organization has a certain way of running the team and long history of being competitive while running the team the way they do. Are they the best team in the NFL right now? Probably not, are they better than the NFC North teams? Yes? Or at least until another team can prove them otherwise.

Sure you can try and use the “past doesn’t matter”/“only this year matters” line. It doesn’t hold weight with me; it is a line for those who have failed in the past wishing for brighter days and a complete loser mentality.

Location hidden

#17 Apr 22, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn’t matter what happened 3 yrs ago?
"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it"
- Churchill
It matter to me what the Packers did 3 yrs ago, it matters to me what they have done EVERY year. I thinking looking at a team’s past and most recent past is a good indication of where they are going. Maybe you are not interested in what the Vikings have done the past few years because they have not done much of anything at all. Probably something you do not want to see “repeated” I presume.
As for keeping up with the Vikings… keeping up with what exactly? Now they are hot sh** because they made the wild card after not making the playoffs since the Saints game?
It remains to be seen how the Vikings will continue to progress over the next years, they have done a good job in the last 1 year, 1 year. I am not sure how their new GM will run things or what success he will have (he has not proven anything yet), who will be coaching in the future (Frazier is in another prove it contract) and what old players will be returning over the next years (How many older players are FAs in 2014 other than the entire Dline)
Like I said the Packers organization has a certain way of running the team and long history of being competitive while running the team the way they do. Are they the best team in the NFL right now? Probably not, are they better than the NFC North teams? Yes? Or at least until another team can prove them otherwise.
Sure you can try and use the “past doesn’t matter”/“only this year matters” line. It doesn’t hold weight with me; it is a line for those who have failed in the past wishing for brighter days and a complete loser mentality.
Our D line is fine.Everson Griffen is Jared Allens eventual replacement.25 years old.Letroy Guion is manning the middle.25 years old.Kevin Williams is probably in his last year so either were going to draft this year or Christian Ballard needs to step up.age 24.And yes Robison will need to be replaced cause D Aundre Reed age 25 is unknown and a 7th rounder so well see.Sure there will be changes but it wont all be this year.I assure you that these guys will be rotating more this year and we will draft for the position so not to worry.Were in better shape than the Packers D.The following is of Everson Griffen incase youve forgotten who he is.Youre not the same team as 2011 so get off youre cloud.

Location hidden

#18 Apr 22, 2013

Location hidden

#19 Apr 22, 2013
Frazier isnt going anywhere the owners are simply playing it safe after Childress.
GBPmies

Finland

#20 Apr 22, 2013
Bleeds Purple wrote:
<quoted text>Our D line is fine.Everson Griffen is Jared Allens eventual replacement.25 years old.Letroy Guion is manning the middle.25 years old.Kevin Williams is probably in his last year so either were going to draft this year or Christian Ballard needs to step up.age 24.And yes Robison will need to be replaced cause D Aundre Reed age 25 is unknown and a 7th rounder so well see.Sure there will be changes but it wont all be this year.I assure you that these guys will be rotating more this year and we will draft for the position so not to worry.Were in better shape than the Packers D.The following is of Everson Griffen incase youve forgotten who he is.Youre not the same team as 2011 so get off youre cloud.
I see no reason to get of my cloud, you get off my cloud!

- Packers recent dominance of NFC North
- one of the most winning NFL teams last 5 yrs
- Playoffs 4 out of 5 last years (
- sound and proven management and well run organization
- rest of the division unproven management and coaches
- all bragging rights currently belong to the Packer fans!

Until another NFC North team can unseat the Packers and win like they have on a regular basis then on my cloud I will sit...
... if that does happen I guess I can just have whatever you have been smoking and pretend my team is good without having anything to back it up.

Location hidden

#21 Apr 22, 2013
GBPmies wrote:
<quoted text>
I see no reason to get of my cloud, you get off my cloud!
- Packers recent dominance of NFC North
- one of the most winning NFL teams last 5 yrs
- Playoffs 4 out of 5 last years (
- sound and proven management and well run organization
- rest of the division unproven management and coaches
- all bragging rights currently belong to the Packer fans!
Until another NFC North team can unseat the Packers and win like they have on a regular basis then on my cloud I will sit...
... if that does happen I guess I can just have whatever you have been smoking and pretend my team is good without having anything to back it up.
Youre cloud is getting darker.You laughed at me last year and didnt believe me.The Vikes are the team on the rise.Greg Jennings knows it and I know it.Thats why he left the Packers cause the window was closing in Greenbay.The Packers recent drafts have been mediocre at best while the Vikings Rick Spielman has excelled.2 in the probowl already last year plus one freeagent aquisition..How many of the Packers draft picks from last year were in the probowl?The Packers drafted six defensive players last year and yet their drafting defense again this year.Lets see whos a free agent after this year...Raji,Neal,Wilson,Picket t,Burnett,Shields,Newhouse,Nel son,Finley,Quarless,Starks.HA HA HA.Who is left?Bionic man and Matthews.LMAO.Ted Thompson is twidle de de.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NFL Players Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota Vikings vs. Tennessee Titans: Live Sc... 34 min viking nation 9
Peyton Manning is Better Than Brady, Says Talib 1 hr charles 334
Can Packers' Eddie Lacy lead NFL in rushing? 4 hr eric 6
Patriots finish seson at 16-0 (Dec '07) 15 hr Soon 2B Fartin Fred 38
Tom Brady not wearing a Patriots uniform? Brace... 16 hr Soon 2B Fartin Fred 5
Jaguars sticking with Henne over Bortles at QB 16 hr Soon 2B Fartin Fred 10
Will Green Bay Packers' B.J. Raji be missed? 16 hr Say Cheese 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000