Tom Brady is Overrated

Tom Brady is Overrated

There are 10097 comments on the Dr. U story from Jan 14, 2006, titled Tom Brady is Overrated. In it, Dr. U reports that:

Tom Brady of the New England Patriots is the most overrated quarterback in the NFL.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dr. U.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#10194 Jan 24, 2013
Football Historian wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2001, 2003 and 2004 Tom Brady had a tough, physical defense behind him. That defense was the heart of the team. The Patriots also believed in sticking to the run in those years. Brady was 9-0 in those 3 playoff seasons.
The Patriots didn't need Brady to carry the team. Brady had just 11 touchdowns passes in 9 playoff games in their 3 championship seasons.
But the Patriots slowly evolved away from the physical defense as well as the running game. They went to the spread offense and became a "finesse" team. With this, the Patriots began losing in the playoffs.
Brady is now 8-7 in the playoffs beginning with the 2005 season. Brady commented after today's loss that the Patriots "went away from the run game in the 2nd half and became a one dimensional offense". The entire team including Brady collapsed as a result.
You can't win Super Bowls if you're a one dimensional offense. You may have pretty stats. You may throw a lot of TD's. You may score many points in the regular season. But that means nothing come playoff time if you aren't physical.
Brady has played the Ravens 3 times in 4 years in the post season. His QB rating in those 3 games are 49.1, 57.5 and 63.3 while having 3 TD's and 7 interceptions. Of Brady's 24 career postseason games, 3 of his 4 worst performances have come against these Ravens.
The N.Y. Giants are physical and swept the Patriots last season. Baltimore and San Francisco are physical and they went 3-0 against the Patriots this season. When the great defensive players of the Patriots retired in 2007 and 2008, it was time to rebuild that defense. But it's taking Belichick forever to rebuild this defense. Bill Parcells was the coach that acquired the defense that carried the Patriots to their titles and Belichick has been unable to replicate that.
I would say this pretty accurately sums up the Pats' recent problems.

The guys that made the Pats what they were are all gone. The defense has been in a state of rebuild for the past 6 years with no end in sight. The balance of pass/run is gone, and Brady has been relegated to throwing 5-7 yard passes, despite the fact that both Lloyd and Welker are quite capable of getting open and catching the mid-range and long balls. Even worse, there's talk of letting Welker go. Geez...

Until the Pats provide more of a pass rush, and get back to possession/power football, they will be compared to, and suffer the fate of, the 2000-2011 Colts. Yes, those Colts won a SB and made it to another, but look at how many opportunities they squandered.

And speaking of squandering opportunities, it appears that Manning has morphed the Broncos into the 2000-2011 Colts. The Broncos used to be a smash mouth, in your face offensive unit, with a defense to match. Now they are resorting to trick/finesse plays on both ends of the ball, and using the run only to set up the pass. And what's up with Champ Bailey? If he wasn't ready to play, what was he doing out there?

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Since: Apr 08

Akron, Ohio

#10195 Jan 25, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. looks like we'll be playing some footbaugh!
ha ha... Hadn't heard that one yet.

Want to hear some irony? Brady and Randy Moss were my favorite tandem, and nothing has been the same since.(I didn't understand the Chad Johnson hire, and they very rarely used Stallworth) The irony is that Randy is with the 9ers now, and has a shot at the SB. Go 49ers. Do you think Kaepernick can perform a large task like this one?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10196 Jan 25, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
ha ha... Hadn't heard that one yet.
Want to hear some irony? Brady and Randy Moss were my favorite tandem, and nothing has been the same since.(I didn't understand the Chad Johnson hire, and they very rarely used Stallworth) The irony is that Randy is with the 9ers now, and has a shot at the SB. Go 49ers. Do you think Kaepernick can perform a large task like this one?
Well, let me just say that I'm glad we're both pulling for the 9ers. I know the Ravens are the AFC representative, but I just can't get behind Lewis. Great football player, just never liked the guy...

The 9ers look like the team to beat. The defense is playing at a high level, and any deficiencies they have seem to be covered by an unstoppable offense. If Kaepernick continues his meteoric development, this team is a couple of years away from reaching the heights of those great '80s and '90s SF teams. They haven't reached that level yet, but I think they bring more than enough to the table to beat Baltimore.

The Ravens are a team running on adrenaline, and it's hard to believe there's much left in the tank. QB Flacco is adequate, but it's hard to think of him at the same level as a Brady, Manning, or Rodgers. For the Ravens to win he will have to play at a VERY high level and carry the team. That means he will need to complete well over half his passes, and not give up any turnovers. I think he CAN do that, but will he?

My prediction - SF clamps down on the Raven WRs leaving the burden of the offense on RB Rice's shoulders. The SF defense will make life very difficult for him. SF's Kaepernick will have a good (not great) game, and Davis, Crabtree, and Gore will carve up the Ravens defense.

SF: 38-28

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10197 Jan 25, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let me just say that I'm glad we're both pulling for the 9ers. I know the Ravens are the AFC representative, but I just can't get behind Lewis. Great football player, just never liked the guy...
The 9ers look like the team to beat. The defense is playing at a high level, and any deficiencies they have seem to be covered by an unstoppable offense. If Kaepernick continues his meteoric development, this team is a couple of years away from reaching the heights of those great '80s and '90s SF teams. They haven't reached that level yet, but I think they bring more than enough to the table to beat Baltimore.
The Ravens are a team running on adrenaline, and it's hard to believe there's much left in the tank. QB Flacco is adequate, but it's hard to think of him at the same level as a Brady, Manning, or Rodgers. For the Ravens to win he will have to play at a VERY high level and carry the team. That means he will need to complete well over half his passes, and not give up any turnovers. I think he CAN do that, but will he?
My prediction - SF clamps down on the Raven WRs leaving the burden of the offense on RB Rice's shoulders. The SF defense will make life very difficult for him. SF's Kaepernick will have a good (not great) game, and Davis, Crabtree, and Gore will carve up the Ravens defense.
SF: 38-28
But is Kaepernick going to take them to the "Promise Land" on THIS outing?

Can SF's D stop the emotional tsunami that Lewis stirred up?

San Fran today is not even on the same PAGE as 80s/90s. We're talking about 4 SBs here.

We'll see, said the blind man

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10198 Jan 26, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
But is Kaepernick going to take them to the "Promise Land" on THIS outing?
Can SF's D stop the emotional tsunami that Lewis stirred up?
San Fran today is not even on the same PAGE as 80s/90s. We're talking about 4 SBs here.
We'll see, said the blind man
Those teams that won 5 SBs had to win their first.

Although he is no Montana, I think Kaepernick is up to the task. The rest of the roster is deep in talent and built for the long haul. Barring injury, more than a few of those players will be strong HOF candidates. SF should win their 6th SB next week.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10199 Jan 26, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Those teams that won 5 SBs had to win their first.
Although he is no Montana, I think Kaepernick is up to the task. The rest of the roster is deep in talent and built for the long haul. Barring injury, more than a few of those players will be strong HOF candidates. SF should win their 6th SB next week.
5 SB wins? What QB are you thinking of?

I 'm just hoping that Kaepernick can win this one.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10200 Jan 26, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
5 SB wins? What QB are you thinking of?
I'm just hoping that Kaepernick can win this one.
I'm not saying Kaepernick/Smith are going to win 5 SBs, I'm just saying the current SF squad is good enough to win this one and more. I also believe in a couple of years that, if they keep Harbaugh at the helm, they will be as good as those 80's-90's SF teams.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10201 Jan 27, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying Kaepernick/Smith are going to win 5 SBs, I'm just saying the current SF squad is good enough to win this one and more. I also believe in a couple of years that, if they keep Harbaugh at the helm, they will be as good as those 80's-90's SF teams.
Well, that will be interesting to watch.

What do you think about Jimmy Haslam's new staff?

CEO - Joe Banner
HC - Rob Chudzinski
VP/Player Personnel - Mike Lombardi
OC - Norv Turner
DC - Ray Horton

I thrilled about Norv Turner. Lombardi is quite controversial.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10202 Jan 31, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that will be interesting to watch.
What do you think about Jimmy Haslam's new staff?
CEO - Joe Banner
HC - Rob Chudzinski
VP/Player Personnel - Mike Lombardi
OC - Norv Turner
DC - Ray Horton
I thrilled about Norv Turner. Lombardi is quite controversial.
Well, it appears Haslam has put together quite an eclectic group.

I really like the hiring of Ray Horton, but I'm not so sure about the others. Norv Turner seems to underachieve everywhere he goes. His offenses, quite often, feature multiple superstars, but do very little. He just doesn't seem to get very much out of his players. All those early season slow starts, late season/playoff collapses with very strange/questionable coaching decisions, makes me wonder how guys like him continue to find jobs. I think his hire is more a product of the good ole boy system, than his past results. You can probably say the same for Joe Banner.

I am really intrigued with the Chudzinski hiring. After missing out on Oregon's Kelly, Haslam settled for the Panthers' former OC. The Panthers had a stellar season two years ago, and then the wheels fell off. I'm not sure who to give the proper credit/blame for this. This season's woes don't speak well to coach Chudzinski's ability to adjust on the fly, but, then again, most of those problems could be attributed to Newton. Can coach Chudzinski coach/motivate young superstars? He'll certainly get his chance with Lombardi making the draft day picks. I think he'll be ok, but going from OC/assistant to HC is a big jump. Cross your fingers...

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10203 Feb 1, 2013
Thanks for the input. After the Kelly announcement said that the Browns had acquired him as a coach, it was such a disappointment for the fans around here to find out otherwise.

It is a triangle of power, which is where my concern would be. The only word that can be pried out of anybody is that they all agree that the QB position should be competitive. Yes, very vague.

I'm more interested in what the Pats are going to do. Sooooo many rumors. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the SB, and try not to think about things I can't control. LOL Ready for Sunday?

Actually, I should ask you if you're ready for Saturday. Canton Football Hall of Fame inductees to be announced. All I can say is I hope that Modell doesn't get in, because there will be significant unrest in northern Ohio.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10204 Feb 1, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
Thanks for the input. After the Kelly announcement said that the Browns had acquired him as a coach, it was such a disappointment for the fans around here to find out otherwise.
Yeah. I think the sticking point was who would be picking the "groceries". Kelly wanted to have final say in player picks/acquisitions, and was told Banner/Lombardi would be doing that.

It is a triangle of power, which is where my concern would be. The only word that can be pried out of anybody is that they all agree that the QB position should be competitive. Yes, very vague.
If the Browns don't keep McCoy and Weeden they will look up in 2-3 years and be VERY sorry. It will be interesting to see who REALLY has the final say in player personnel.

I'm more interested in what the Pats are going to do. Sooooo many rumors. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the SB, and try not to think about things I can't control. LOL Ready for Sunday?
The Pats will do what they always do - they will find some team(s) that is too dumb to know what they have/really need, and make a trade. Come April the Pats will have 32 first round picks...

Actually, I should ask you if you're ready for Saturday. Canton Football Hall of Fame inductees to be announced. All I can say is I hope that Modell doesn't get in, because there will be significant unrest in northern Ohio.
If Modell gets in I expect Governor Kasich to call out the National Guard to put down the riots in the Cleveland area.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10205 Feb 1, 2013
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. I think the sticking point was who would be picking the "groceries". Kelly wanted to have final say in player picks/acquisitions, and was told Banner/Lombardi would be doing that.

Haslam knows what he wants, HIS decision or he could have clinched the deal, right?
<quoted text>
If the Browns don't keep McCoy and Weeden they will look up in 2-3 years and be VERY sorry. It will be interesting to see who REALLY has the final say in player personnel.

Remember me telling you that it was possible that they would use up a pick on another QB? The past regime was in luv with Weeden's arm, pushing Colt aside. Do you think the QB battle involves Thaddeus?
<quoted text>
The Pats will do what they always do - they will find some team(s) that is too dumb to know what they have/really need, and make a trade. Come April the Pats will have 32 first round picks...

Now you're pulling my leg. lol But you can be sure that BIG changes are coming.
<quoted text>
If Modell gets in I expect Governor Kasich to call out the National Guard to put down the riots in the Cleveland area.

Oh, the riots would extend further than the Cleveland area. It could get real ugly real quick. I'm not sure if they're all in the same category, but I'd like Parcells over Modell, Tagliabue, Debartolo and Coryell. Andre Reed is long overdue (as is Cris Carter). Can't believe Roger Craig isn't in yet. Strahan definately, 1st time eligibility?
Can't wait.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10206 Feb 2, 2013
Tim Brown and Jerome Bettis could get in as well.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Columbus, Ohio

#10207 Feb 2, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
<quoted text> Haslam knows what he wants, HIS decision or he could have clinched the deal, right?
Probably. Although, I'm not sure he would go so far out on a limb if he were not going to let Lombardi do his job.

Remember me telling you that it was possible that they would use up a pick on another QB? The past regime was in luv with Weeden's arm, pushing Colt aside. Do you think the QB battle involves Thaddeus?
I do remember you saying that. I didn't think you were serious. I think the Browns are looking for that next "sleeper". You know, someone who everyone else has overlooked who turns into a superstar. Nevermind the fact that they already have to very good, young QBs. Sigh...the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Now you're pulling my leg. lol But you can be sure that BIG changes are coming.
Well keep me posted. I have a feeling those changes may include Welker, Hernandez, Woodhead, and Branch.

Oh, the riots would extend further than the Cleveland area. It could get real ugly real quick. I'm not sure if they're all in the same category, but I'd like Parcells over Modell, Tagliabue, Debartolo and Coryell. Andre Reed is long overdue (as is Cris Carter). Can't believe Roger Craig isn't in yet. Strahan definately, 1st time eligibility?
And the winners are:

Larry Allen (OT)
Cris Carter (WR)
Curley Culp (DT)
Jonathan Ogden (OT -- The man was a monster at 6-9 345lbs)
Bill Parcells (Coach)
Dave Robinson (LB)
Warren Sapp (DT)

Should have been Strahan instead of Sapp, but I think he, and Brown, get in next time.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10208 Feb 2, 2013
Is it true that Lynn Swann and John Stallworth took 15 and 16 years to get in to the HOF because they kept canceling each other out? Finally Swann got in and Stallworth got in the following year. Unbelievable.

The seniors that get in really have to wait a long time. I remember Curley Culp. He was back in the day when we had Championships. He played on both Offensive and Defensive lines.

SO glad that Modell is being shunned.

Enjoy the game tomorrow!

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10209 Feb 3, 2013
Congrats to Ravens and their fans!

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#10210 Feb 4, 2013
Bewitched wrote:
Is it true that Lynn Swann and John Stallworth took 15 and 16 years to get in to the HOF because they kept canceling each other out? Finally Swann got in and Stallworth got in the following year. Unbelievable.
The seniors that get in really have to wait a long time. I remember Curley Culp. He was back in the day when we had Championships. He played on both Offensive and Defensive lines.
SO glad that Modell is being shunned.
Enjoy the game tomorrow!
I really believe Stallworth was a clearly superior receiver to Swan. I seriously doubt Swan would be in the Hall of Fame if it weren't for the fact that Stallworth played with him at the same time. Swan was more likely to make a big gainer, but on third down, Stallworth was definitely the more reliable go to guy.
Tom Brady

Winston Salem, NC

#10211 Feb 10, 2013
I have the record 50 tds in a season 3 super bowl rings, more mvps than most qbs, highest winng % very respectable completion % the best td/int ratio, and Randy Moss is the only elite wide out i've ever had and what did we do 17 and 0 and let our perfect season slip through our fingers when was the last time any team that close? Only an elite qb can put up these numbers but what he does the best is he makes everyone else around him better.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#10212 Feb 10, 2013
Tom Brady wrote:
I have the record 50 tds in a season 3 super bowl rings, more mvps than most qbs, highest winng % very respectable completion % the best td/int ratio, and Randy Moss is the only elite wide out i've ever had and what did we do 17 and 0 and let our perfect season slip through our fingers when was the last time any team that close? Only an elite qb can put up these numbers but what he does the best is he makes everyone else around him better.
The real Tom Brady would never be that boastful. He would simply allow his career numbers to speak for themselves and they do speak loudly.

“All for 1, 1 for all”

Akron, Ohio

#10213 Feb 10, 2013
flbadcatowner wrote:
<quoted text>I really believe Stallworth was a clearly superior receiver to Swan. I seriously doubt Swan would be in the Hall of Fame if it weren't for the fact that Stallworth played with him at the same time. Swan was more likely to make a big gainer, but on third down, Stallworth was definitely the more reliable go to guy.
I don't think that who you played with has anything to do with whether you get in to the HOF or not. The point was, they were canceling each other out all those years. They both got in on their own merit. What I remember most about Swann was his amazing leaping abilities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

NFL Players Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Raiders legends revel in return to relevance 12 hr RAIDER MISTERIO OG 140
MVP Is Tom Brady's To Lose Dec 6 Hope he wins anyway 3
Media Missing The Point Once Again (To Protect ... Dec 5 Media Corrupt And... 1
News ICYMI in NFL: At site of cancer treatment, KC's... Dec 5 Go Blue Forever 1
News Brady Quinn makes donation to Warrior grid program (Apr '12) Dec 3 Skip Turkovich 4
News Tim Tebow turned down a $1 million endorsement ... Nov 30 Laughing Bear Fan 4
News NFL: Packers snap skid by downing Eagles Nov 29 Dope in Denver 3
More from around the web