PETA hopes billboards spark controversy at Thanksgiving dinner tables

Sep 27, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Prince George Citizen

The billboards, which will also run in Winnipeg and Ottawa, will read: 'Kids, if you wouldn't eat your dog, why eat a turkey? Go vegan.' Lauren Stroyeck of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says the ad's intent is to get children and their parents thinking about why some animals are consumed as food but not others.

Comments
1 - 20 of 74 Comments Last updated Nov 21, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
John

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

Vegan creeps targeting children again.
The vegan idiocy is laughed at by adults.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

I guess some parents need to explain the predator/prey relationship to their children. Normal sane people armed with this information have no difficulty understanding why some animals are eaten and some are not.

“HUNTING RIGHTS ADVOCATE”

Since: Oct 08

Boggy Creek

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

hunters are COWARDS wrote:
<quoted text>I guess some corpse eating animal murdering psychopath COWARDS like you don't know that humans are NOT natural predators. We all know that cowards like you are insecure, and completely clueless. We also know that you obsess over ANIMAL RIGHTS day in and day out because you fear ARAs and you prove it every day!
Happy and Healthy VEGAN Children are taught to have compassion and empathy
http://www.worldanimalfoundation.net/f/VeganC...
It takes INTELLIGENCE to be a healthy, thriving vegan and that's why slobs like you don't get it and you never will!
Enjoy your next uncontrollable cowardly temper tantrum!
Uncontrollable cowardly temper tantrum? I will certainly enjoy your next one.........just as I have laughed my ass off at all of your previous hissy fits. Carry on......FREAK.
vegan

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

I have always questioned that. I say eat the dog, cat, horse and everything else that walks on four legs. People are starving in this country and others. I don't see PETA feeding anybody, just trying to take away food.
vegan

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>I guess some corpse eating animal murdering psychopath COWARDS like you don't know that humans are NOT natural predators. We all know that cowards like you are insecure, and completely clueless. We also know that you obsess over ANIMAL RIGHTS day in and day out because you fear ARAs and you prove it every day!

Happy and Healthy VEGAN Children are taught to have compassion and empathy for ALL animals

http://www.worldanimalfoundation.net/f/VeganC...

It takes INTELLIGENCE to be a healthy, thriving vegan and that's why slobs like you don't get it and you never will!

Enjoy your next uncontrollable cowardly temper tantrum!
No we were natural scavengers, eating other predators left overs. That made our Brains bigger we got smarter and then became predators. Without eating meat and wearing furs, we would have never evolved to the level we have. Giving idiots like you the chance to choose not to eat meat. We are primates, almost all primates eat meat, whether it be animal or insect.
vegan

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>WRONG. we were NOT natural scavengers, we scavenged when we had no other choice! BIG difference, but a corpse eating brain dead m o r o n like you wouldn't know the difference between what is NATURAL and what may have been an only choice for a period of time. Some of us are smart enough to think for ourselves and we learned that we thrive far more healthfully on the NATURAL
based diet. It takes INTELLIGENCE to be vegan...that's why it is waaaaayyyyyy above your empty head!

FYI- less than 1.4% of what chimpanzees eat is NOT vegetation. You wouldnt know this because all the corpse consumption has blocked your ability to think rationally or logically. Go eat some more decomposing corpses, because the more corpses you eat, the sooner you will stop wasting space.
Excactly right 1.4 %. Their bodies know what they need so they eat it. Animals that consume meat and vegetables are called omnivores. Nature is full of these kind of animals. That makes it natural. Going against nature is unnatural. Science has proven that plants do feel. Here's food for thought, if you think.
Unlike a lowing, running cow, a plant’s reactions to attack are much harder for us to detect. But just like a chicken running around without its head, the body of a corn plant torn from the soil or sliced into pieces struggles to save itself, just as vigorously and just as uselessly, if much less obviously to the human ear and eye.

When a plant is wounded, its body immediately kicks into protection mode. It releases a bouquet of volatile chemicals, which in some cases have been shown to induce neighboring plants to pre-emptively step up their own chemical defenses and in other cases to lure in predators of the beasts that may be causing the damage to the plants. Inside the plant, repair systems are engaged and defenses are mounted, the molecular details of which scientists are still working out, but which involve signaling molecules coursing through the body to rally the cellular troops, even the enlisting of the genome itself, which begins churning out defense-related proteins.

Plants don’t just react to attacks, though. They stand forever at the ready. Witness the endless thorns, stinging hairs and deadly poisons with which they are armed. If all this effort doesn’t look like an organism trying to survive, then I’m not sure what would. Plants are not the inert pantries of sustenance we might wish them to be.

If a plant’s myriad efforts to keep from being eaten aren’t enough to stop you from heedlessly laying into that quinoa salad, then maybe knowing that plants can do any number of things that we typically think of as animal-like would. They move, for one thing, carrying out activities that could only be called behaving, if at a pace visible only via time-lapse photography. Not too long ago, scientists even reported evidence that plants could detect and grow differently depending on whether they were in the presence of close relatives, a level of behavioral sophistication most animals have not yet been found to show.

To make matters more confusing, animals are not always the deep wells of sensitivity that we might imagine. Sponges are animals, but like plants they lack nerves or a brain. Jellyfish, meanwhile, which can be really tasty when cut into julienne and pickled, have no brains, only a simple net of nerves, arguably a less sophisticated setup than the signaling systems coordinating the lives of many plants. How do we decide how much sensitivity and what sort matters?
You eat murdered plants to sooth your conscience, yet you care not, how that effects them. You are a hypocrite. Go on all fruit diet. It falls from the trees on its own. Wait, the fruit is full of embryos, don't they get a chance to grow and live too,
confused

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

So copy and paste is defense against eating a life form that has as much as a right to live, as animals do. You sound a little full of yourself. Your argument is weak. Probably not enough protein in your diet. Your brain is shriveling up. It's all good though. The planet will probably be better off without you. Go try and convince a lion to eat a head of lettuce. Be sure to have someone video tape it for us. We will get a laugh when he chews your face off.
Stanley Dobbs

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

This is interesting. Hunter, please explain how eating plant life is correct and why you feel that they don't deserve the right to live. Vegan, please explain why hunter deserves to push their ideas as the only correct ones.
Hadrian

Carshalton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

LOL, It takes INTELLIGENCE to be VEGAN
I take it you are a exception to the rule.
Stanley Dobbs

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

Hunter is all knowing and all powerful. Hunter thinks its a god.
hunters are COWARDS

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

Judged:

I may not know much about life but I sure know my way around a pair of goat balls.
hunters are COWARDS

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2012

Judged:

^^The IMPOTENT TROLL from PETA^^ thinks it's ME - HAC the goat molester.

Oh wait... it could be one of my alter-egos.
Jessie

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2012

Judged:

Perhaps it is time to start eating dogs. Why shouldn't we? Good point peta!
QWERTY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2012

Judged:

vegan wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike a lowing, running cow, a plant’s reactions to attack are much harder for us to detect. But just like a chicken running around without its head, the body of a corn plant torn from the soil or sliced into pieces struggles to save itself, just as vigorously and just as uselessly, if much less obviously to the human ear and eye.
When a plant is wounded, its body immediately kicks into protection mode. It releases a bouquet of volatile chemicals, which in some cases have been shown to induce neighboring plants to pre-emptively step up their own chemical defenses and in other cases to lure in predators of the beasts that may be causing the damage to the plants. Inside the plant, repair systems are engaged and defenses are mounted, the molecular details of which scientists are still working out, but which involve signaling molecules coursing through the body to rally the cellular troops, even the enlisting of the genome itself, which begins churning out defense-related proteins.
Plants don’t just react to attacks, though. They stand forever at the ready. Witness the endless thorns, stinging hairs and deadly poisons with which they are armed. If all this effort doesn’t look like an organism trying to survive, then I’m not sure what would. Plants are not the inert pantries of sustenance we might wish them to be.
If a plant’s myriad efforts to keep from being eaten aren’t enough to stop you from heedlessly laying into that quinoa salad, then maybe knowing that plants can do any number of things that we typically think of as animal-like would. They move, for one thing, carrying out activities that could only be called behaving, if at a pace visible only via time-lapse photography. Not too long ago, scientists even reported evidence that plants could detect and grow differently depending on whether they were in the presence of close relatives, a level of behavioral sophistication most animals have not yet been found to show.
To make matters more confusing, animals are not always the deep wells of sensitivity that we might imagine. Sponges are animals, but like plants they lack nerves or a brain. Jellyfish, meanwhile, which can be really tasty when cut into julienne and pickled, have no brains, only a simple net of nerves, arguably a less sophisticated setup than the signaling systems coordinating the lives of many plants. How do we decide how much sensitivity and what sort matters?
You eat murdered plants to sooth your conscience, yet you care not, how that effects them. You are a hypocrite. Go on all fruit diet. It falls from the trees on its own. Wait, the fruit is full of embryos, don't they get a chance to grow and live too,
Do you have any thoughts of your own on the subject or were you just gonna plagiarize the whole article for us?

Look, don't try to pass yourself off as some kind of an intellect at the expense of some posters just to impress other posters.

The sad thing is, in about 50 years you might start doing some thinking on your own and by then you'll realize there are only two certainties in life.

One, don't do that.
Two -- you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on an education you could've picked up for a dollar fifty in late charges at the Public Library.

Source of 'your' post:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/science/15f...
hunters are COWARDS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2012

Judged:

Those veggies just aren't gettin-er-done.

I crave more bacon.
stupid stupid trolls

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2012

Judged:

Hey troll, keep using the name HUNTERS ARE COWARDS. Its the only thing you ever typed that is the TRUTH.

“Scabies are people too!”

Since: Apr 11

Killing scabies IS MURDER!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2012

Judged:

QWERTY wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any thoughts of your own on the subject or were you just gonna plagiarize the whole article for us?
Look, don't try to pass yourself off as some kind of an intellect at the expense of some posters just to impress other posters.
The sad thing is, in about 50 years you might start doing some thinking on your own and by then you'll realize there are only two certainties in life.
One, don't do that.
Two -- you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on an education you could've picked up for a dollar fifty in late charges at the Public Library.
Source of 'your' post:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/science/15f...
Are you saying that because it was plagiarize it isn't valid? Rather than attacking the source, try addressing the article and the information in it.
QWERTY

Odenton, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2012

Judged:

USA R0CKS wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying that because it was plagiarize it isn't valid? Rather than attacking the source, try addressing the article and the information in it.
My comment was not on the validity of the argument, but on passing off someone else's words as your own. But if you wish me to comment on the validity of the notion that plants are sentient life forms, then here goes:

There is no credible scientific evidence to support this idea.

From Wikipedia (the preferred source of posters on this forum):
Plant perception or biocommunication is the idea that plants are sentient, that they respond to humans in a manner that amounts to ESP and that they experience pain and fear. The theory is dismissed by scientists as plants lack a nervous system.

http://metabiological.wordpress.com/2011/02/1...

http://skepdic.com/plants.html

“Bowhunting Is Euphoric”

Since: Jan 09

Double Lung em

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2012

Judged:

QWERTY wrote:
<quoted text>
My comment was not on the validity of the argument, but on passing off someone else's words as your own. But if you wish me to comment on the validity of the notion that plants are sentient life forms, then here goes:
There is no credible scientific evidence to support this idea.
From Wikipedia (the preferred source of posters on this forum):
Plant perception or biocommunication is the idea that plants are sentient, that they respond to humans in a manner that amounts to ESP and that they experience pain and fear. The theory is dismissed by scientists as plants lack a nervous system.
http://metabiological.wordpress.com/2011/02/1...
http://skepdic.com/plants.html
The theory that humans are not omnivores is also dismissed by science. Just saying.
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2012

Judged:

I don't understand why PETA is encouraging the consumption of pets, or more specifically dogs, for Thanksgiving. While canines are not generally eaten by humans in western cultures, in many areas of Asia and elsewhere, dog meat is eaten by people. When my uncle was in the navy in WWII he is sure he was served dog meat in a bar in Nicaragua.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vegan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hold The Smoked Meat And Texas Toast: A Vegan, ... Tue Dinie 22
Veganism - doing the right thing (Jul '11) Aug 18 Natural Weight Loss 911
Jessica Simpson swimsuit photo: 70-pound weight... Jul '14 N8 the Grrr8 1
Former Windsor resident biking across Canada fo... Jul '14 Purely Canadian 2
Chris Martin eats meat now that he's single Jul '14 Jamie Greco 1
4 surprising benefits of vegetables Jun '14 sacul 2
Vega-lutionaries: Green Scene vegans join force... May '14 Kennear 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••