The Art of Killing—for Kids

Posted in the Vegan Forum

Vegan

Wyandotte, OK

#1 Sep 26, 2012
"In our culture, the moral divide between humans and animals is sharp in numerous areas, but perhaps most consciously so in one: the sport of hunting.

Since the activity involves consciously deciding to kill another sentient, sensitive being, the issue of inflicting suffering and death cannot be avoided, at least for the hunter. At some point every hunter will inevitably confront unsettlingly questions: Is my having a good time an adequate moral reason to deliberately end an animal’s life? Should I be concerned about my prey’s suffering, as well as the resulting loss for his or her family? These reflective questions, and many others, will now be asked by New York youths (ages 14-15) this Columbus Day weekend during a special deer hunt planned just for them. Armed with either a firearm or crossbow, junior hunters will be permitted to “take 1 deer…during the youth deer hunt”—no doubt in the hope that the experience will enrich their lives. A hunting enthusiast once observed after a youth hunt,“I’ve never seen a [9-year old] kid happier…We were all the better for it.”"
http://advocacy.britannica.com/blog/advocacy/...

Ecclesiastes 3. 17-22

"I said in mine heart, God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.
I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.
For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.
All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.
Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?
Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion: for who shall bring him to see what shall be after him?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vegan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vegan's & paleo's rejoice! An Organic Plant Pro... May 16 Tazo 1
News A vegan's travel guide: Fort Collins, Colorado (Feb '10) Apr '15 Rose Henderson 2
News Eating Vegan at Disney World: It's Easier Than ... Apr '15 _Learsi 1
News Meat Industry Fumes Over Federal Report Touting... Apr '15 Crazy Talk 1
News Bodybuilding Tips For Vegans & Vegetarians (Sep '09) Mar '15 powerprecision1 5
News 5 Superfoods You Probably Aren't Eating (Oct '13) Mar '15 Anonymous 2
News Join These Vegan, Vegetarian And Fruitarian Cha... Mar '15 No More Crazy Talk 1
More from around the web