Texas GOP leaders vow to keep key age...

Texas GOP leaders vow to keep key agencies open

There are 5 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Jun 2, 2009, titled Texas GOP leaders vow to keep key agencies open. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

A FEW WEEKS AGO, I asked readers to chime on whether they believe citizen critics are as reliable as traditional restaurant reviewers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

marinjim

San Mateo, CA

#1 Jun 3, 2009
Regarding Yelp, Urbanspoon, Chowhound and the other similar sites I use them to find inexpensive restaurants that are exceptional. There have been quite a few in both Marin and SF that I would have never found had it not been for sites like these. In these troubling economic times, anytime for that matter, it is wonderful to discover a family run place that takes pride in what they serve and their service.
KLJ

San Anselmo, CA

#2 Jun 3, 2009
Yelp is definitely not a reliable source. I was served a shard of glass in my crispy rice soup at Dynasty in Tiburon. I posted the review on Yelp, and also gave the web address for the Marin County Dept. of Health inspection. Every word of my review was true, and the owner knows it. However, he must have threatened Yelp, because they removed my review and closed my account! So I guess you can believe the positive reviews for the most part, but just know the negative reviews may have been censored.
Anna

New York, NY

#3 Jun 3, 2009
Traditional restaurant reviewers, Yelp-type services, and food bloggers all have a place, especially if you understand how each works. Traditional reviewers generally have financial support and assigned time to do a thorough, multi-visit review of a location. Yelpers come in all varieties, so it's good to read a wide variety of the reviews for a location from that service. I have been disappointed in Yelp recently in that it took down an accurate review of a place a friend made which was negative. I was there and witnessed everything and there was no malice or inaccuracy reported in his review. I am mystified as to why it would be taken down, so my trust in Yelp has gone down a few notches. I am a food blogger, and since it's a hobby, I can't give the same time and number of visits a traditional reviewer would, so I try to give an accurate 'snapshot' of the visit. It's true, I go in with a positive attitude and hope that it is kept. Everyone has an odd off night. I have a lot of fun trying new places, even when not perfect.
Queenie C Profile

Hayward, CA

#4 Jun 21, 2009
I have +25 fake accounts with YELP! I write bad reviews to prove that YELP! is an extortion business. Queenie C. and jessica "J-To" t.'s Profile and Ligaya "rhymes with papaya" T.'s Profile san francisco...catch me if you can!
Long Time Resident

United States

#5 Apr 4, 2010
I really have to say that Marin people really do not know a whole lot of eating really tasty outstanding good food..I read some of the Yelp stuff on some restaurants..esp. that Sol Food..they are average they got some many reviews about it being so great that is why I think people in Marin and around does not know what they are eating ...wow because they are the only ones that have this type of restaurant..so they have a following..their prices have gone up since they expanded...portions are smaller and not to my opinion and other I talked to...is not that great!!! If they were in SF or mission Street where the real some places are so overrated... food is being made..they would not be the center of attention..what gets me is when people put in their menu item that they have organic food so what ..do we know what they use in the kitchen or see them prepare it? No so how do we know...people would believe anything...I am glad I do not waste my money eating out like that esp. when most of the food in restaurants are ok...nothing that knock my socks off!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Slow Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Slow Food Charleston organizes inaugural Snail ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANE 1
News London welcomes Israeli (foodie) invasion (Jul '15) Jul '15 Dinie 4
News At World's Fair In Italy, The Future Of Food Is... (Jun '15) Jun '15 fl tag IAL 968 1
News Oakland woman trying to bring peace one crop at... (Jul '14) Jul '14 T Turner 1
News WFHS Students Learn About Sustainable Meal Prep... (Jun '14) Jun '14 hoo doo you think... 2
News Seed varieties with history bring fresh taste t... (Jun '14) Jun '14 older women dating 1
News People choosing to live 'la vida locavore' (Apr '14) May '14 jeffryhelms_ 8
More from around the web