Mercado a monument to displaced workers

Mercado a monument to displaced workers

There are 21 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 30, 2009, titled Mercado a monument to displaced workers. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Hilda Garcia thinks often of all the work and sacrifice it took to get the project off the ground.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MATEO

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#1 Apr 30, 2009
Ms. Garcia,
I wish you and Mercado Mayapan much success in the future. I am a former El Paso resident and I know that your vision and what you are doing will benefit the city greatly. God bless.
Angry Old Man

El Paso, TX

#2 Apr 30, 2009
well hell, when does the taco sale start?

tacos and a cold one, no need to head on down to swine flu, mexico.
Luis

Conroe, TX

#3 Apr 30, 2009
This is something that El Paso needed a long time ago. Having the foresight and common sense to create markets like this is going to help the Mercado Mayapan succeed. I no longer live in El Paso, but I would certainly purchase items if they were available online, which may be another good idea for marketing their products to customers world-wide. El Pasoans, new and old, need to support this place instead of worrying about attracting higher end retail! While higher end retial definitely will bring in revenue for the City, culture as an economic development tool is much more effective. Just ask New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Los Angeles, and all other cities that traditionally pride themselves on their local culture. It's time for El Paso to showcase our genuine Mexican culture.
Catallina

El Paso, TX

#4 Apr 30, 2009
I WANT TO SEE DIVERSITY! I want to see that there are African American vendors as well as White American vendors here. Workers displaced by NAFTA my butt! Remember, were all in this together.
kaa

El Paso, TX

#5 Apr 30, 2009
What they have conveniently forgotten to mention is that the El Paso Tax payer has footed the bill for a great part of this. For non-citizens. Plus they told the City in the past when the City wanted an audit that they would do the audit.
F THAT

El Paso, TX

#6 Apr 30, 2009
We are supposed to feel sympathy for the b-yot-ch whos husband was deported to mexico. She was harboring an illegal...Why didnt she follow his sorry butt back to mexico. I am so tired of this twisted view that has made breaking the law and sponging of Americans something to be honored and praised...F THAT!
F THAT

El Paso, TX

#7 Apr 30, 2009
"Durate applauded La Mujer Obrera for continuing the struggle to improve conditions for working-class Hispanic families."

sorry... no working-class black or asian or (God forbid) white families will be helped here...this is strictly for the hispanics (mexicans preferred).

Does anyone know what the definition of a racist organization is?

If I were to start an organization aimed at helping only struggling white families...what do you think the el paso times would write about me?
Sam

United States

#8 Apr 30, 2009
whites don't deserve any help because you have been the majority in this country since it was born. you just worry about starting wars with others, discrimination, taking advantage of people, and all the other "good" deeds you do for this world. white people are what's wrong with this world.
Seattle

Everett, WA

#9 Apr 30, 2009
Sam wrote:
whites don't deserve any help because you have been the majority in this country since it was born. you just worry about starting wars with others, discrimination, taking advantage of people, and all the other "good" deeds you do for this world. white people are what's wrong with this world.
Fabulous racist remark!! Bravo!!
Catallina

El Paso, TX

#10 Apr 30, 2009
Sam wrote:
How retarded.
not too bright

El Paso, TX

#11 Apr 30, 2009
Sam wrote:
And you wonder why everybody hates mexicans. Nice attitude.

There is a place where there is no racism against mexicans....its called mexico...you should go there sometime...AND STAY!
Laura

El Paso, TX

#12 Apr 30, 2009
Sam wrote:
I completely agree with you, the greed of the white person is the reason why the economy is in the situation it is currently in.
mrs h

United States

#13 Apr 30, 2009
Why cant we just applaud the efforts of those that these people are putting forth and try to follow in their footsteps. Yet I agree with most comments on here, Mexican or not everyone should get a second chance at life with a decent employer. I am sure if a person (non mexican) would apply they would not be refused. We are so quick to judge THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH this country NOT white people!
Now before you jump the gun and start with your intolerable word vomit I am a proud Mexican woman. I support what they are trying to do, but I think that everyone deserves a chance to lead their family into a brighter future. When are you women going to realize that you need to arm yourself with a degree. Get an education and show your children that numerous doors can be opened with a proper education.
not too bright

El Paso, TX

#14 May 1, 2009
Laura wrote:
<quoted text> I completely agree with you, the greed of the white person is the reason why the economy is in the situation it is currently in.
Well Laura, you and sam should get together and make more dumb babies. The roots of the whole mortgage crisis stem from the Clinton era. Your stupid liberals in office listened to all you whining minorities that were too dumb to get an education and hence too poor to buy a house. They made it possible for idiots like you to buy a house using "creative" mortgages. Well, guess what? The dumb people can't pay these mortgages. and here we are.

That was the third grade level summary of the origins of the economic crisis for your reading level.

When you actually have a point to make, please post again. Until then, stop your whining and stop blaming the white man/ American for all your sad stories. Get an education, get a job and maybe you won't have so much to moan about.
Seattle

Everett, WA

#15 May 1, 2009
not too bright wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Laura, you and sam should get together and make more dumb babies. The roots of the whole mortgage crisis stem from the Clinton era. Your stupid liberals in office listened to all you whining minorities that were too dumb to get an education and hence too poor to buy a house. They made it possible for idiots like you to buy a house using "creative" mortgages. Well, guess what? The dumb people can't pay these mortgages. and here we are.
That was the third grade level summary of the origins of the economic crisis for your reading level.
When you actually have a point to make, please post again. Until then, stop your whining and stop blaming the white man/ American for all your sad stories. Get an education, get a job and maybe you won't have so much to moan about.
By far the best comment I have ever seen on here!
Laura

Dallas, TX

#16 May 1, 2009
I have a job, an education, and a $425,000 mortgage that I have no problem paying. Nothing to moan about.
not too bright

El Paso, TX

#17 May 1, 2009
Laura wrote:
I have a job, an education, and a $425,000 mortgage that I have no problem paying. Nothing to moan about.
aha. I know who you are.
Sunshine

Everett, WA

#18 May 1, 2009
Laura wrote:
Is that what your mother told you to write?
not too bright

El Paso, TX

#19 May 1, 2009
Laura wrote:
You say you have nothing to moan about...yet you do...

You moan about the economy and you moan about the whites. There really is no pleasing mexicans is there?
gatita del callejon

O Fallon, MO

#20 May 7, 2009
kaa wrote:
What they have conveniently forgotten to mention is that the El Paso Tax payer has footed the bill for a great part of this. For non-citizens. Plus they told the City in the past when the City wanted an audit that they would do the audit.
KAA's comment is laughably misinformed. The city's involvement in funding this project has been minimal. Please take a look at the city's budget to get a clear picture of what and what has not been allocated, genius!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Slow Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Slow Food Charleston organizes inaugural Snail ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANE 1
News London welcomes Israeli (foodie) invasion (Jul '15) Jul '15 Dinie 4
News At World's Fair In Italy, The Future Of Food Is... (Jun '15) Jun '15 fl tag IAL 968 1
News Oakland woman trying to bring peace one crop at... (Jul '14) Jul '14 T Turner 1
News WFHS Students Learn About Sustainable Meal Prep... (Jun '14) Jun '14 hoo doo you think... 2
News Seed varieties with history bring fresh taste t... (Jun '14) Jun '14 older women dating 1
News People choosing to live 'la vida locavore' (Apr '14) May '14 jeffryhelms_ 8
More from around the web