Slow food advocates grow support for ...

Slow food advocates grow support for farm housing project at UC Santa Cruz

There are 26 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from May 3, 2009, titled Slow food advocates grow support for farm housing project at UC Santa Cruz. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Pioneers of the slow food movement are joining chefs, farmers and other supporters of the UC Santa Cruz Farm to raise money for a plan to construct cabins for apprentices who live in tents while they learn the fine points of organic agriculture.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#25 May 4, 2009
Why house organic farming students and not computer science students or mathematics students or engineering students or any other student?

I'm puzzled as to why organic farming students can't pay for housing any differently than any other major.

Plenty of University programs turn out people with real, practical and productive skills - when they graduate, they get a job. What could be more real than that?

The idea sounds good (although too limited) but I'm baffled at the cost. Yikes. It's right up there with $30,000 dog runs, I guess.
Eastsider

San Jose, CA

#26 May 4, 2009
Great program, people actually learning something and going back and making a real difference WITH THEIR OWN BUSINESS OPERATION. Love it, dirt capitalists trying to do the right thing! I'm surprised this has lasted so long at UCSC. Also, never heard a word or complaint from any of these students. Not that says something.
Well,$500k does seem like a lot, but once you add overhead, EIR's, ramps, parking, lights and all those other things goverment facilities require, you're there. I only hope the construction is correct, not like that crap at the county health or SVHS.
twix

Vallejo, CA

#27 May 4, 2009
The organic farm with the highest prices of all - that would be the UCSC farm & garden. Instead of spending the money on that, they should spend it on solar power in order to eliminate their fossil fuel use - but the UC hates renewable energy, as they are in bed with General Electric and BP and other large fossil fuel interests...

"Hippie bullshit" - that's Santa Cruz for you, the home of the hippycrit trustafarian with a bone in the nose and a JP Morgan trust fund.
JMKC

Lees Summit, MO

#28 May 4, 2009
Santa Cruzan wrote:
The organic farmer students have been living in tents on campus for years. I think some cabins are nice somewhate safer. These students are learning organic farming as a better way to farm and not to poison the earth with chemicals.
I'm all for them.
We'd all better get on the ball, then.
Monsanto GM has tried to regulate and dictate to farmers around the world that they MUST purchase genetically altered seed and chemicals.
Recently, Monsanto GM had a massive crop failure in Africa,,,their corn seed failed completely.
Monsanto has filed suit in Germany to challenge the ruling that Monsanto seed cannot be used in Germany.
Connecticut Congresswoman Congress Woman Rosa DeLauro, whose husband Stanley Greensburg, who worked for,,,,MONSANTO,,,introduced Congressional Bill HR 875 to make organic gardens illegal.

"The bills HR875 and S425 will be under great pressure to be implemented. An independent committee will advise the Congress members how to vote. Who will be "independent" advisors? People of Monsanto, Cargill and other large cooperatives. These legislative proposals comply 100% to the Codex Alimentarius standards.

So every American who sprout in the garden grow is punishable."

http://unhypnotize.com/health/1575-ban-volkst...

With companies like Monsanto and Cargill dictating that farmers use their genetically altered, and now failing, seed, what crops will there be to feed the masses?
They are currently seeking to criminalize anyone who uses heritage seeds,,,seeds that produce seeds for crops the following year.
blondegenes

Lees Summit, MO

#29 May 4, 2009
Monsanto GM has tried to regulate and dictate to farmers around the world that they MUST purchase genetically altered seed and chemicals.
Recently, Monsanto GM had a massive crop failure in Africa,,,their corn seed failed completely.
Monsanto has filed suit in Germany to challenge the ruling that Monsanto seed cannot be used in Germany.
Connecticut Congresswoman Congress Woman Rosa DeLauro, whose husband Stanley Greensburg, who worked for,,,,MONSANTO,,,introduced Congressional Bill HR 875 to make organic gardens illegal.

"The bills HR875 and S425 will be under great pressure to be implemented. An independent committee will advise the Congress members how to vote. Who will be "independent" advisors? People of Monsanto, Cargill and other large cooperatives. These legislative proposals comply 100% to the Codex Alimentarius standards.

So every American who sprout in the garden grow is punishable."

http://unhypnotize.com/health/1575-ban-volkst ...

With companies like Monsanto and Cargill dictating that farmers use their genetically altered, and now failing, seed, what crops will there be to feed the masses?
They are currently seeking to criminalize anyone who uses heritage seeds,,,seeds that produce seeds for crops the following year.
Pat Kittle

Simi Valley, CA

#30 May 7, 2009
I would gladly donate some space on my apartment floor for them. I can spare it since I'm "single." No females though lol. All I ask in return is some of their largest cucumbers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Slow Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Slow Food Charleston organizes inaugural Snail ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANE 1
News London welcomes Israeli (foodie) invasion (Jul '15) Jul '15 Dinie 4
News At World's Fair In Italy, The Future Of Food Is... (Jun '15) Jun '15 fl tag IAL 968 1
News Oakland woman trying to bring peace one crop at... (Jul '14) Jul '14 T Turner 1
News WFHS Students Learn About Sustainable Meal Prep... (Jun '14) Jun '14 hoo doo you think... 2
News Seed varieties with history bring fresh taste t... (Jun '14) Jun '14 older women dating 1
News People choosing to live 'la vida locavore' (Apr '14) May '14 jeffryhelms_ 8
More from around the web