Holiday farmers' markets aim at keepi...

Holiday farmers' markets aim at keeping it local

There are 10 comments on the North Adams Transcript story from Nov 19, 2009, titled Holiday farmers' markets aim at keeping it local. In it, North Adams Transcript reports that:

One-stop Thanksgiving dinner shopping -- all with a local flavor -- is what organizers of the first annual Holiday Farmers' Markets hope to achieve on Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Adams Transcript.

EK-NorthAdams

Clockville, NY

#1 Nov 19, 2009
"One-stop Thanksgiving dinner shopping" - does anyone know if any turkeys will be sold at the market? I am too late to order from a Vermont farm I heard of, but if I knew pastured turkeys would be sold at the market, I'll be there at 10am sharp :)
for it

Williamstown, MA

#2 Nov 19, 2009
they recomend that you eat a sustainable bird like chicken instead. one can be found at your local big y. as for the farm food definitely get it its worth it. not as cheap as big y but its not from jersey or somewhere further.
EK-NorthAdams

Clockville, NY

#3 Nov 19, 2009
A cheap Big Y chicken that has never seen the light of day or been fed food appropriate for its species is not sustainable. I am looking for a pastured, preferably heritage turkey that would be able to stand up without breaking its legs, and I would like to pay a price that is sustainable to the farmer (so, not 80 cents a pound, which neither the turkey nor the farmer can reasonably survive on).
Turkey

Clockville, NY

#4 Nov 19, 2009
EK-NorthAdams wrote:
A cheap Big Y chicken that has never seen the light of day or been fed food appropriate for its species is not sustainable. I am looking for a pastured, preferably heritage turkey that would be able to stand up without breaking its legs, and I would like to pay a price that is sustainable to the farmer (so, not 80 cents a pound, which neither the turkey nor the farmer can reasonably survive on).
I think Wild Oats still has some Vermont turkeys available, but the number is very limited.
get it

Williamstown, MA

#5 Nov 19, 2009
EK-NorthAdams wrote:
yeah you typea are all the same. what about the local farmers from all around the region that supply big y. no instead of helping your neighbor, you want to help some bag crapped made by kraft and pawned off as green and organic and sold at wild oats. yet you rail against big y and wal mart. you dumb idiot.
Whatever

Clockville, NY

#6 Nov 19, 2009
get it wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah you typea are all the same. what about the local farmers from all around the region that supply big y. no instead of helping your neighbor, you want to help some bag crapped made by kraft and pawned off as green and organic and sold at wild oats. yet you rail against big y and wal mart. you dumb idiot.
Big Y buys local chickens? Tell me more. Or are you full of it?
funny guy

New Berlin, NY

#7 Nov 19, 2009
Mmmnnnn, I'm getting hungry.

Florida turnips, mashed with sweet local carrots or parsnips. Pepper, butter, pinch o' salt.

Horseradish on the side. Apples. Cider.

mmmnnnnnnnn.
EK-NorthAdams

Clockville, NY

#8 Nov 20, 2009
get it wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? I'll just ignore the dumb idiot comment, but you said "instead of helping your neighbor, you want to help some bag crapped made by kraft and pawned off as green and organic and sold at wild oats." Um, no. I said I want to help my local farmer. I'm not going to help my local farmer at the Big Y. I'm not looking for a Kraft turkey or even an organic one necessarily. This is an article about a FARMER'S MARKET. I don't shop at Wild Oats, I buy from farmers. I think you must have just misread.
Eat Krap - NA

Williamstown, MA

#9 Nov 20, 2009
EK-NorthAdams wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? I'll just ignore the dumb idiot comment, but you said "instead of helping your neighbor, you want to help some bag crapped made by kraft and pawned off as green and organic and sold at wild oats." Um, no. I said I want to help my local farmer. I'm not going to help my local farmer at the Big Y. I'm not looking for a Kraft turkey or even an organic one necessarily. This is an article about a FARMER'S MARKET. I don't shop at Wild Oats, I buy from farmers. I think you must have just misread.
your just one of those metrosexualist artist come latelys
yerp

Springfield, MA

#10 Nov 20, 2009
Eat Krap - NA wrote:
<quoted text>
your just one of those metrosexualist artist come latelys
You are obviously a very bitter person because you got laid off from Sprague 25 years ago.

Get over over it. The world changes. North Adams is many different things, not just angry people on EBT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Slow Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Slow Food Charleston organizes inaugural Snail ... (Feb '16) Feb '16 JANE 1
News London welcomes Israeli (foodie) invasion (Jul '15) Jul '15 Dinie 4
News At World's Fair In Italy, The Future Of Food Is... (Jun '15) Jun '15 fl tag IAL 968 1
News Oakland woman trying to bring peace one crop at... (Jul '14) Jul '14 T Turner 1
News WFHS Students Learn About Sustainable Meal Prep... (Jun '14) Jun '14 hoo doo you think... 2
News Seed varieties with history bring fresh taste t... (Jun '14) Jun '14 older women dating 1
News People choosing to live 'la vida locavore' (Apr '14) May '14 jeffryhelms_ 8
More from around the web