Cossie Snyder's crab cake recipe fina...

Cossie Snyder's crab cake recipe finally revealed

There are 70 comments on the The Morning Call story from Mar 11, 2009, titled Cossie Snyder's crab cake recipe finally revealed. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Marie Geletkanych always said she'd take her recipe for crab cakes -- a signature dish at the former Cossie Snyder's Corner in Allentown -- with her to the grave.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

What Is Crap Meat

Nazareth, PA

#46 Mar 11, 2009
Pachacutec wrote:
<quoted text> If people would check out the international restaurants, I'm betting they'd find some very familiar foods, too; first time I tried Mexican churros, I said, "Hey, my PA Dutch Mom used to make these, we called them crullers!" And which nationality does NOT have some form of dough/noodle stuffed with meat, cheese, beans, veggies, etc?
(quote) And St. Patrick's day is next week! There will probably be about a hundred recipes for corn beef and cabbage, soda bread and stew!(quote) Oh, don't I know it! I'll probably have to hit a 'chain' store for the corned beef, but I know I'll get my cabbage cheaper at the local Latin-American market. Sure, and on St. Pats' day, we're all Irish!!
Giant has cabbage on sale this week for 19 cents a pound. As for the potatoes, get the Yukon Gold at Produce Junction on MacArthur Rd. for 2 bucks for 5 pounds.
PATRON

United States

#47 Mar 11, 2009
Former ATown Resident wrote:
Hey "Who Cares", where do you live? I used to live on 9th street and I loved it until the ****'s took over my neighborhood. Yes, they took over. And I did not abandoned it, I left because I was tired of the drug dealing ****'s in front of my house for years and I left b/c I was beat unconscious and robbed of $7 by some lovable Spanish fellas. You, my friend, don't have a clue, so don't be telling me I abandoned Allentown!
<quoted text>
unfortunately the crap has moved to Emmaus now to, it's turning into mini allentown
idiot

Bethlehem, PA

#48 Mar 11, 2009
Peter Griffin wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok I'm going to be a smart **** here and ask. What in the world could they serve at an Ethiopean restaurant??? A bowl of UN rice with flies in it? Aren't they starving people that live in the desert?
Ok enough of being a smart ****. I don't think the people abandoned Allentown. I think it was more like they were pushed out as the criminal element moved in and started spreading. I lived in several parts of Allentown and each time I had to move because each neighborhood started to become increasingly worse. The last placed I lived in Allentown was in the west end. In the begining it was nice, but then people started moving out and were replaced with trash. Our cars started getting broken into. Trash thrown in our yards. Shady people skulking around at all hours of the night. It became a nightmare.
Right on. Most people would stay in Allentown but they fear for the safety of their family. There in another post about a guy who lived on 9th st and was robbed, beaten and had drug deals going on in front of his house. Why would someone like that stay?? It is simply because of the scum that moved in.
Who Cares

Upper Darby, PA

#49 Mar 11, 2009
No one takes over a neighborhood until others give it up. You gave it up. Yes, you abandoned it. I hope wherever you live is nice and that you enjoy it.
Former ATown Resident wrote:
Hey "Who Cares", where do you live? I used to live on 9th street and I loved it until the ****'s took over my neighborhood. Yes, they took over. And I did not abandoned it, I left because I was tired of the drug dealing ****'s in front of my house for years and I left b/c I was beat unconscious and robbed of $7 by some lovable Spanish fellas. You, my friend, don't have a clue, so don't be telling me I abandoned Allentown!
<quoted text>
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#50 Mar 11, 2009
"What is Crap Meat," thanks for the tips, but I'm here in Maryland; will have to check the sale papers for 'buys.' "Peter Griffin," what could they serve at Ethiopian restaurants? Well, if you're a coffee drinker, they have world-class coffees. Also various types of stews w/ meats and veggies (yum). And - I asked in one post was there any nationality which didn't have some form of dough stuffed with meat, beans, etc? Try some Ethiopian sambosas!(Have to confess though, all of my off-topic posts aside, this story has me VERY hungry for some good crab cakes!)
deSPICable

Nazareth, PA

#51 Mar 11, 2009
Who Cares wrote:
No one takes over a neighborhood until others give it up. You gave it up. Yes, you abandoned it. I hope wherever you live is nice and that you enjoy it.
<quoted text>
When the police are forced to be politically correct, then it's time to move. Allentown is infested and not enough is being done to crack down on the vermin.
Peter Griffin

Macungie, PA

#52 Mar 11, 2009
Pachacutec wrote:
"What is Crap Meat," thanks for the tips, but I'm here in Maryland; will have to check the sale papers for 'buys.' "Peter Griffin," what could they serve at Ethiopian restaurants? Well, if you're a coffee drinker, they have world-class coffees. Also various types of stews w/ meats and veggies (yum). And - I asked in one post was there any nationality which didn't have some form of dough stuffed with meat, beans, etc? Try some Ethiopian sambosas!(Have to confess though, all of my off-topic posts aside, this story has me VERY hungry for some good crab cakes!)
Thanks for the info. I have never seen or heard of an Ethiopian restaurant.
Claire

Northampton, PA

#53 Mar 11, 2009
AAAH! What a wonderful video, thank you for sharing the recipe. What great people. I moved to the Lehigh Valley in 1991 from the coal region and Cossie Snyder's was the first restaurant my then-husband took me to. I had the crabcakes, they were DELICIOUS! I had them almost every time I went back. I will be making them next week for dinner!
joe poli

AOL

#54 Mar 11, 2009
This is not a secret recepie; it has been around for years. The real secret is broiling them with water in the pan to keep them from drying out. I cook my Pork Chops the same way to keep them moist.
joe poli

AOL

#55 Mar 11, 2009
My lord, they edited out P o r k
c hops. Morning Call stop the political correctness, already!
Denise

Allentown, PA

#58 Mar 11, 2009
Whiskey Nancy wrote:
Never had cossie's crab cake,but I sure do miss the crab patties at "Tom's Den".
Did you mean to say you missed "Patty's crabs at Tom's Den" ? lol
Christian Believer

Bethlehem, PA

#59 Mar 11, 2009
I remember Allentown when it was occupied by a multitude of ethnic people who came from Europe years ago. It was neat, clean and a joy to visit. The residents would sweep their gutters even though there was only dust in them and tie up their household garbage in neat, little bundles to put out for garbage day. What a difference! Those residents headed for the suburbs when they saw the writing on the wall (sic). I long for the trips to Hess's, Leh's, Zollingers, Simcoe Shoes, etc. etc. Those were the good, old days when you didn't have to be afraid to go to Allentown.

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#60 Mar 11, 2009
When last reviewed by the MC's "expert", Cossie Snyder rated a "so-so".

Could be that the owner/operators were getting old by then.

I suspect that this place was a real draw, back in the day, but most recently,.... forget it.

If their crabcakes were a big draw, great.
Claire

Northampton, PA

#61 Mar 11, 2009
Seriously. I'm originally from Pottsville and when I moved to this area, the news in the MCall was *quite* the eye opener from the nice, calm, benign things in the Republican. I welcome articles about food! lol
Schuylkill Resident wrote:
Lighten up. Not everything has to death and horror. Once in a while we need to stop the negative news and be exposed to something that won't send us into the corner screaming. If you don't enjoy the article, don't read it.
Dportlu

Atlanta, GA

#62 Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for providing the recipe and the charming presentation via video. I can't wait to try it
The Dude

Bethlehem, PA

#63 Mar 11, 2009
PSU grad wrote:
Cossie Snyder's Corner used to be a landmark. I rememnber my aunt talking about how she went there after a day of shopping at Hess's on 9th.
A shame so many of these places have fallen by the wayside. Now, I would not advise spending any time in center city if one can avoid it, especially after dark.
Cossie's was amoung many great places to eat in old Allentown. It is quite the shame that many will never have had the pleasure of eating at a place were the cooking came first.

There used to be a place on Ridge Ave. called Mark's Lunch. It was run by a husband and wife who genuinely good people. For 3 dollars and change I would get homemade meatloaf and mashed potato's with brown gravy and Egypt Star bread. For sides, buttered corn and green beans.

What I would pay now to enjoy one more meal there.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#64 Mar 12, 2009
Join the Revolution wrote:
they sucked, come to Md for the real thing......
Reading this article and the posts, I HAD to go out last night and get crab cakes; closest place is the Calvert House Inn, which has been in Riverdale since "forever." Crab cakes weren't bad. Ever been to any of the Jerrys' Seafood places? Their crab bomb is exquisite!!(actually - best way to eat crabs, in PA, MD, wherever, is to go out and get a bushel of steamed crabs, head out to the picnic table w/ the crabs and your choice of beverages, some crab mallets, and dig in!!)
Mmmmmm Beer

Nazareth, PA

#65 Mar 12, 2009
Pachacutec wrote:
<quoted text> Reading this article and the posts, I HAD to go out last night and get crab cakes; closest place is the Calvert House Inn, which has been in Riverdale since "forever." Crab cakes weren't bad. Ever been to any of the Jerrys' Seafood places? Their crab bomb is exquisite!!(actually - best way to eat crabs, in PA, MD, wherever, is to go out and get a bushel of steamed crabs, head out to the picnic table w/ the crabs and your choice of beverages, some crab mallets, and dig in!!)
Nothing like getting down and dirty with a bucket of blue claws drenched in garlic and some cold beer. There's a great place in Marlboro, NJ called the Hard Shell Cafe that serves them up by the bucket. Don't wear your best clothes.

“Allergic to stupid people”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#66 Mar 12, 2009
Pachacutec wrote:
<quoted text> Reading this article and the posts, I HAD to go out last night and get crab cakes; closest place is the Calvert House Inn, which has been in Riverdale since "forever." Crab cakes weren't bad. Ever been to any of the Jerrys' Seafood places? Their crab bomb is exquisite!!(actually - best way to eat crabs, in PA, MD, wherever, is to go out and get a bushel of steamed crabs, head out to the picnic table w/ the crabs and your choice of beverages, some crab mallets, and dig in!!)
ah, but nothing beats like catching your own! I had a friend and her husband were stationed in MD about 20 years ago (I want to say Devon was the town, but don't quote me). We decided to go crabbing - best day ever! Got a whole bunch, took them back to their place, steamed them and ate like little piggies all day!
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#67 Mar 12, 2009
pippySqueek wrote:
<quoted text>
ah, but nothing beats like catching your own! I had a friend and her husband were stationed in MD about 20 years ago (I want to say Devon was the town, but don't quote me). We decided to go crabbing - best day ever! Got a whole bunch, took them back to their place, steamed them and ate like little piggies all day!
Agreed; but I have to admit I'm a bit of a "softy" when it comes to throwing the crabs in the boiling water, so I'll let someone else do the execution; however, after that has taken place, I'll make sure that the little corpses are properly disposed of!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seafood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Taste of Nova Scotia: The holiday kitchen party... Thu ihavenet 1
News Is Your Dinner Bad for the Environment? Nov 3 buyingseafood 2
News Captain D's Now Open in Franklin North Carolina (Nov '15) Oct '16 donny scruggs 10
News Where to get great seafood in San Antonio Sep '16 LoL 1
News Food | NEW: Bootleggers Prohibition Pub Opens i... Sep '16 Consumer 1
News Where to Go for Seafood in Washington, D.C. Aug '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Shrimp grows up (Dec '08) Aug '16 daisy 6
More from around the web