Cossie Snyder's crab cake recipe finally revealed

Marie Geletkanych always said she'd take her recipe for crab cakes -- a signature dish at the former Cossie Snyder's Corner in Allentown -- with her to the grave. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wondering

Norristown, PA

#2 Mar 11, 2009
This is front page news? Who cares?
Atown Resident

Allentown, PA

#3 Mar 11, 2009
This was a nice reminder of Cossie Snyder's. A great memory of Allentown.
steeler fan

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Mar 11, 2009
with the rash of robberies and car breakins in the west end of allentown.
like fairview and ott st,and mcall puts crabcakes on the front page....i guess i will have to wait for the scumbags to steal my fish before mcall reports it......
PSU grad

Flanders, NJ

#5 Mar 11, 2009
Cossie Snyder's Corner used to be a landmark. I rememnber my aunt talking about how she went there after a day of shopping at Hess's on 9th.

A shame so many of these places have fallen by the wayside. Now, I would not advise spending any time in center city if one can avoid it, especially after dark.
Schuylkill Resident

Fogelsville, PA

#6 Mar 11, 2009
Lighten up. Not everything has to death and horror. Once in a while we need to stop the negative news and be exposed to something that won't send us into the corner screaming. If you don't enjoy the article, don't read it.
BOB

Allentown, PA

#7 Mar 11, 2009
It's people! It's people!!
Staberdearth

Allentown, PA

#8 Mar 11, 2009
PSU grad wrote:
Cossie Snyder's Corner used to be a landmark. I rememnber my aunt talking about how she went there after a day of shopping at Hess's on 9th.
A shame so many of these places have fallen by the wayside. Now, I would not advise spending any time in center city if one can avoid it, especially after dark.
Ah c'mon now! A nationwide chain won't do? There's Long John Silvers, Red Lobster... Who eats scratch made anymore when you can have shark plugs and mock crab?
Staberdearth

Allentown, PA

#9 Mar 11, 2009
Wondering wrote:
This is front page news? Who cares?
It's as relevant as anything found on the MCall's front pages these days...world news is gone.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#10 Mar 11, 2009
Nothing at all wrong with a good human-interest story. And nothing at ALL wrong with crab cakes. However, as a Marylander I must say the idea of coating a perfectly good crab cake with bread crumbs is nothing short of heresy!!(smile)
Lower Macungie Resident

Allentown, PA

#11 Mar 11, 2009
I've heard for years that they had great crab cakes.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#12 Mar 11, 2009
I wish the Call would stop with the food stories, already; last week they ran that great story about the PA Dutch Potpie potluck supper and I HAD to make potpie this past weekend. And now they're doing crabcakes? MMMMMMMMMM!
LV Valley GO

Allentown, PA

#13 Mar 11, 2009
Born in the late 60's and remember Thursday night shopping in downtown A-Town my parents would take us for special-times to Cossie Snyder's and I loved the crab cakes. To this day never had one as good as there.
Berks_Iraq_Vet

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#14 Mar 11, 2009
My wife and I ate there once and it was a very nice, old school local establishment. Remember the food was fantastic. Did not have the crab cakes, but we are making them this weekend.
Wing Fat

Marcus Hook, PA

#15 Mar 11, 2009
What, we're out of Mayo?
We'll use Miracle Whip instead!!
BWAAAAA HA HA HA!!!!
Suze

Camp Hill, PA

#16 Mar 11, 2009
enriqo polatzo wrote:
OMG I AM TOTALLY POSM heath ledger is dead and all you can think about is crab cakes....the nutz of some people
umm... did you just find out that he died?

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem, PA

#17 Mar 11, 2009
Pachacutec wrote:
Nothing at all wrong with a good human-interest story. And nothing at ALL wrong with crab cakes. However, as a Marylander I must say the idea of coating a perfectly good crab cake with bread crumbs is nothing short of heresy!!(smile)

I agree, they don't need breading.
How are they cooked in MD? I would guess they're simply browned in a little olive oil?
RonMania

Easton, PA

#18 Mar 11, 2009
A picture of a crab would be nice - I am sick of looking at yellow teeth on every article.
Hmmm

Bethlehem, PA

#20 Mar 11, 2009
Brilliant! Feature a revealed secret recipe and DON'T PRINT THE RECIPE!!! Fantastic!
Morons.
Who Cares

AOL

#21 Mar 11, 2009
Nice article about a nice restaurant. There were dozens of good restuarants in that era... today, sadly there are few.
Berks_Iraq_Vet

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#23 Mar 11, 2009
Hmmm wrote:
Brilliant! Feature a revealed secret recipe and DON'T PRINT THE RECIPE!!! Fantastic!
Morons.
There was a link to the recipe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seafood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama withdraws Alaska's Bristol Bay from drilling 29 min Le Duped 1
Stray cat sneaks into airport deli, enjoys expe... Dec 15 DILF 4
The effects of the BP oil spill on Las Vegas (Jun '10) Dec 12 PeterRussell 4
Robert St. John: Living in Mississippi is somet... Dec 5 PlanC 1
Playful St. Pete: City of culture, city of fun Dec 1 Liberal forever 5
African Sushi: Mountainous Fish Farm Links Leso... Nov 26 Tlepere 5
MSU Chef Wins Trip to France with Seafood Stew Nov 25 wacejacke 1
More from around the web