Looking for Cajun flavor? Try Boyd

Jul 11, 2008 Full story: Star-telegram.com 40

BUD KENNEDY bud@star-telegram.com A Houston chef left a cush private club.And landed in - Wise County?Chef Kraig Thome left Houston to open a Cajun seafood restaurant in Boyd.The name is Gogo Gumbo, but it's ...

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tish peterson

United States

#1 Jul 14, 2008
After reading Bud Kennedy's article, we went to Gogo's the same day. What a culinary treasure it is that is hidden in Boyd! The food was definitely gourmet--everything made from scratch and with fresh ingredients. The "TV Dinner" is my choice, because one gets to sample 4 different dishes, all of which were excellent. The crab cake was the best I have eaten anywhere, at any price. The young man who assisted us was very helpful and knowledgeable. This place, which is only open evenings, is definitely worth a road trip from the DFW area!!

“Look me in the eye when talkin”

Since: Jul 07

Katy, Texas

#2 Jul 15, 2008
Hey Tish, thanks for the heads up... I will be taking a road trip in that area next week, I will be sure to reroute and check it out..
tom

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Jul 15, 2008
I saw the sign and did not know if it was worth stopping in. Thanks for the info. I will try it out!
Renee

Grand Prairie, TX

#4 Jul 18, 2008
Cute nautilus decor. Our server was "on the ball." We were pleasantly surprised by the quality ingredients and excellent flavor in the little town of Boyd. Everything on the menu sounded great - from appetizers to desserts. Plenty of food for the price, too. My husband and I can't wait to go back to try a different dish....and then on the walk out the door we read more about the chef/owner - welcome to Wise County!
Ted

Fort Worth, TX

#5 Aug 2, 2008
The desserts are all wonderful but the best dish in the place is the Shrimp and Grits. Don't let the title fool you - it is the best shrimp dish you will ever eat. Also start with the Seafood Hush Puppies. Don't forget to take you a bottle of wine and sit and enjoy. It is worth the trip!!!!
Tom

Fort Worth, TX

#6 Aug 9, 2008
WOW!! We went to GOGO Gumbo last night and it was Excellent!!! We ordered the shrimp baskett, catfish baskett, fried green beans, and the shrimp gumbo. Man it was all good. Cool decor and great prices. Good luck and welcome to Boyd!
Samantha Whitton

Beaumont, TX

#7 Aug 11, 2008
I went to Gogo Gumbo about a month ago with my family, and its still on my mind. I got the TV Dinner(like Tish from the first post), it was awesome! I liked everything on my plate. But my favorite was the shrimp and grits. I also loved the salad, it didnt have much dressing but that was O.K. because it was great too.
misty

United States

#9 Aug 16, 2008
i need to know how many miles from boyd texas to houston texas please
Tom

Fort Worth, TX

#10 Aug 16, 2008
Long way. About a 7 hour drive.

“Look me in the eye when talkin”

Since: Jul 07

Katy, Texas

#11 Aug 17, 2008
misty wrote:
i need to know how many miles from boyd texas to houston texas please
using google maps, and just entering Boyd, Tx. and Houston, Tx. It shows 4 hrs. and 41 mins. 298 miles.. that should be fairly close.
frank18

Aubrey, TX

#12 Aug 24, 2008
Ate their last night and it was amazing. If you want cajun cuisine, this is definitely the place to be!!!!
Tom

Fort Worth, TX

#13 Aug 24, 2008
Frank, I agree with you 100%. I had the blackend shrimp and the hushpuppies with shrimp. Great food.
Goose

Killeen, TX

#14 Sep 13, 2008
Great restaurant. The waitstaff was exceptional the food 2 Die 4 (no pun intended).To start off with the seafood hush puppies the best ever.And I mean ever. The best Lunchbox I have ever eaten Features a salad a side of gumbo crab cakes slaw and the ever popular shrimp and grits. It gives you a taste of what this place offers. And dont skip on the deserts they are outstanding.
amanda from saginaw Texas

United States

#15 Sep 19, 2008
WOW! Talk about great food. This place has to be one of the best resturants I have ate at in many years. The crab cakes melt in your mouth, and shrimp & grits speak for themselves.Im getting hunary just thinking about it. If there is a wait to eat just pop next door to the children's Boutique. A cute cozy affordable children's clothing store with great stuff! I got my daughter a beautiful designer outfit without the high prices. She looks great. That little strip along hwy 114 just north of fort worth is a great place to get lost for the day.
Becky

Houston, TX

#16 Sep 25, 2008
I went into mourning when Chef Kraig left Houston. My husband had his seafood gumbo and I had the Snapper with Pico de gallo grits almost every Friday night. Houston's loss is Boyd's gain. It is well worth the drive from Fort Worth. If it were on this side of Fort Worth, we would consider weekend trips from Houston just to eat at his restaurant.
Connie

Bridgeport, TX

#17 Oct 27, 2008
My husband and I ate at gogo gumbo on Saturday, I am from Mississippi and good seafood is hard to find here. I was so impressed with the food I could have kissed the cook. His gumbo is like my grandmas and my husband thinks the crabcake is the best he has had in his life. We had the tv dinner like some of the folks mentioned, and it was fabulous. I felt like I was in food heaven. The service was excellent too. Try it at soon as you can, you'll be glad you did.
Connie F

Rhome, TX

#18 Dec 3, 2008
Wow!!This place is awesome!The food is great and the place is clean.I cannot deal with some of the nasty little places you'll sometimes find in smalltown USA.The gumbo is one of the best take home items on the menu because it warms up beautifully for those late night cravings.I'm dyin for the crab cakes though.Also,great job wait staff.
Britney

United States

#19 Dec 30, 2008
gogo! is by far the best restaurant in the Wise County area. The shrimp and grits, the crabcakes, the gogo! salad...it's all DELICIOUS! The wait staff is excellent, always so friendly and they actually do their job. Don't forget to try to the Bread Pudding...it's THE best!
JrL

Fort Worth, TX

#20 Dec 30, 2008
GOGO Gumbo definently has good food but the service is yet to improve. Some of the wait staff could be replaced with more efficient help. We have dined there several evenings and most recently walked out after 15 minutes of waiting for a waitress to acknowledge us after bein seated by the host.
Theresa

Humble, TX

#21 Jan 6, 2009
One of the two things I've missed since moving out of the metroplex is quality restaurants (the other is quality grocers). Who knew I'd find one in Boyd. I had the Bento Box (aka TV dinner) with chicken gumbo, crab cake, shrimp grits and a fabulous salad that almost drove me to lick the bowl. My husband hates grits but went crazy over the grit shrimp dish. Wonderful mix of texture and flavor and is absolutely beautiful. His seafood gumbo was done just right with the gumbo blending together beautifully and complementing each ingredient. We started with the tempura green beans. They had a great texture but were slightly oily. My crab cake was one of the best I've ever had. The only thing I can think to compare it to was Daddy Jack's. It was a great meal and one I was thrilled to find so close. I highly recommend this restaurant!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seafood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seafood festival organizer, seventh-generation ... Oct 18 Anon420 1
Food Story: From Mumbai to Calicut, the evoluti... Oct 13 mukesh 1
Poseidon adventures at Tampa Museum of Art Oct 9 Billyfae 2
Broadening District Oct 8 goemeasnciuh 1
Escaped crabs delays flight Oct 3 Cath League of Du... 1
For Tupelo transplant, food is all about local ... Oct 1 Fail 1
What Foods Russians May Miss Thanks to Putin's Ban Oct 1 Here Is One 304

Seafood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE