What's left on the menu? Russian restaurants wrangle with food ban

MOSCOW: Moscow's sweeping sanctions on European food have sent Russian restaurateurs, retail chains and food producers scrambling for alternative supplies and bracing for Soviet-style shortages. Read more
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
rio

London, UK

#2 Aug 12, 2014
wow wrote:

“Decision-makers at the Kremlin have probably calculated that patriotic sentiment will outweigh the pain.”
That is exactly the case.

Russians can make enormous sacrifices in their country's interest.
SOVIET MISERY RETURNS

Surrey, Canada

#3 Aug 12, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly the case.
Russians can make enormous sacrifices in their country's interest.
For Putin's Fascist regime that lost Ukraine to the West forever through corruption and incompetence?

Get real!

However, I can think of something Dwarf Fuhrer Putin and his Nazis scum can eat........
rio

London, UK

#4 Aug 12, 2014
SOVIET MISERY RETURNS wrote:
<quoted text>
For Putin's Fascist regime that lost Ukraine to the West forever through corruption and incompetence?
How can you say that Russia lost Ukraine when it gained Crimea?

Ukraine has been independent since 1991 at least, and nothing to do with Russia.

It's Ukraine that has lost Ukraine, and a good proportion of its population.

Russia is winning in that deal; now eat your heart out !!!
SOVIET MISERY RETURNS

Surrey, Canada

#5 Aug 12, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you say that Russia lost Ukraine when it gained Crimea?
Ukraine has been independent since 1991 at least, and nothing to do with Russia.
It's Ukraine that has lost Ukraine, and a good proportion of its population.
Russia is winning in that deal; now eat your heart out !!!
Yes, it is like losing the hamburger you were to have for lunch but keeping the pickle!

Of course you must stupidly pretend that Ukraine was not firmly within the Russian orbit since 1990 to shield your Fuhrer Putin from criticism over his obvious colossal failure in foreign policy, we know, we know.

Isolated, with a collapsing economy and no allies, stripped of its G8 seat and clearly a second-rate regional power now, corrupt and increasingly a crude thuggish police state, Russia is in such an obvious self-destruct mode all you can do is stupidly pretend it is winning some great "victory".

You Russo-fascists are such CLOWNS living on lies you can't last much longer.
rio

London, UK

#6 Aug 12, 2014
<quoted text>

Isolated, with a collapsing economy and no allies,.
New energy deal with China?

New trade agreement with other BRICS countries?

That doesn't look like sign of collapse to me.

Shall we talk about the state of the Ukraine economy now? LOL
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#7 Aug 12, 2014
What's left on the menu? I doze of farts to kholkhoznik Alexey and some ouzo for Putinko.

“WE, THE TRULY STRONG REMAIN ”

Since: Jul 08

MCKINNEY

#8 Aug 12, 2014
<quoted text>
Yes, it is like losing the hamburger you were to have for lunch but keeping the pickle!
Of course you must stupidly pretend that Ukraine was not firmly within the Russian orbit since 1990 to shield your Fuhrer Putin from criticism over his obvious colossal failure in foreign policy, we know, we know.
Isolated, with a collapsing economy and no allies, stripped of its G8 seat and clearly a second-rate regional power now, corrupt and increasingly a crude thuggish police state, Russia is in such an obvious self-destruct mode all you can do is stupidly pretend it is winning some great "victory".
Hamburgers? our people don't depend on fast food like Canadians and the US. Hence the reason why our population doesn't suffer from obesity. They don't look like lumberjacks like Canadian chick or fat cows with dumb ass reality shows like they do in the west........

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#9 Aug 12, 2014
<quoted text>
Putin actually created custom union, Eurasian union, BRICS, while the west failed to expand NATO to the east. Certainly Putin is a way more successful a poitician than his western couterparts.
As for Ukraine, it`s currently going down the tubes and I think the pro western government will be overthrown real soon. Of course, Ukraine will not be in the same borders. I think there will be several states, the most of which will be pro Russian.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#10 Aug 12, 2014
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
New energy deal with China?
New trade agreement with other BRICS countries?
That doesn't look like sign of collapse to me.
Shall we talk about the state of the Ukraine economy now? LOL
That midget needs to order especially those Chinese toys for the little kholkhozniks. American toys are immoral and bad. LOL
Putinko

Toronto, Canada

#11 Aug 12, 2014
What's left on the menu for Russians? S h i t.

Location hidden

#12 Aug 12, 2014
Egyptian president says that Egypt will encrease it`s export of fruits and vegetebles to Russia in 30 %.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#13 Aug 13, 2014
hahahahah. Very clean for you kholkhozniks to order Egyptian shyt at luxury restaurants. I hope you prepare a fine Egyptian dish to all your CIS pals and visitors from North Korea, Syria and Zimbabwe.
Shem

Bangkok, Thailand

#14 Aug 13, 2014
Arab countries have very high standards for quality of fruits and food - it's a fairly refined cuisine, just same as their quality standards with horses or anything else in their culture like the traditional tableware. It's the Finnish food that is utter crap :) Most asian food cultures go back at a least a 1000 years more than in Europe, I don't see any reason for Russia not to expand cooperation with Asian cultures in that area.

Location hidden

#15 Aug 13, 2014
Lukashenko is Dr Phil wrote:
hahahahah. Very clean for you kholkhozniks to order Egyptian shyt at luxury restaurants. I hope you prepare a fine Egyptian dish to all your CIS pals and visitors from North Korea, Syria and Zimbabwe.
Shit is what you post here everyday and Egyptian vegetebles are a way better than European ones.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#16 Aug 13, 2014
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
Shit is what you post here everyday and Egyptian vegetebles are a way better than European ones.
Is that why Lukashenko offered to purchase those food left on the shelves after you kholkhozniks banned them. I read that peasant has not joined your boycott. I have no reason to doubt this information since they have an embassy here and usually 100 percent we wrote about them are reliable.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#17 Aug 13, 2014
Shem wrote:
Arab countries have very high standards for quality of fruits and food - it's a fairly refined cuisine, just same as their quality standards with horses or anything else in their culture like the traditional tableware. It's the Finnish food that is utter crap :) Most asian food cultures go back at a least a 1000 years more than in Europe, I don't see any reason for Russia not to expand cooperation with Asian cultures in that area.
"If Russia closes its market for certain goods, we should not allow the transit of these products to Russia via Belarus. However, the internal market should not be affected by the ban, the president said during a meeting with Belarusian Prime Minister Mikhail Myasnikovich. We discussed this issue separately with the Russian president. This is our internal matter, if we need Polish apples, we'll buy them, not for Russia, but for the domestic market."
-Lukashenko-
Translation: keep eating your russian junk and we will eat high quality western products.

OnlyPatchWork

Carmel, NY

#18 Aug 13, 2014
Alexey25 wrote:
Egyptian president says that Egypt will encrease it`s export of fruits and vegetebles to Russia in 30 %.
Why are Russia's friends, mostly non-European?
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#19 Aug 13, 2014
And to make me even hornier the fact that Alexander Grigoryevich is using money given by Russian Federation to Belarus to BUY POLISH AND OTHER BANNED products makes me all wet. Who is the real loser now kholkhozniks. Belarusians will just buy double amount and no loss for Polish farmers.
Lukashenko is Dr Phil

Finland

#20 Aug 13, 2014
OnlyPatchWork wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are Russia's friends, mostly non-European?
Dumb polak. Maybe because Russia has been their biggest financial supporter since 1950's.
Shem

Bangkok, Thailand

#21 Aug 13, 2014
Russia is the 3d largest exporter of wheat in the world. It exports 19,000,000 metric tons. And Egypt is Russia's largest importer of wheat. Actually Russian wheat is of great importance to national security in Egypt. The Russia's drought in 2010 made the wheat prices go sky high, which left many Egyptians unable to earn enough to pay for the daily ration of bread - this is exactly what triggered the "Arab Spring" many people argue in that country. So I would say the fruit import from Egypt to Russia is permanently secured, it serves both sides well.

Russia's food export muscle is almost equivalent to US, Canada and EU. It can certainly grow much more than it needs to feed itself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seafood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Climate change will make food taste WORSE: Glob... Mar 25 SpaceBlues 5
News Boriken brings Puerto Rican comfort food to Bea... Mar 18 kidunot 1
News Former Ann Arbor transit authority CEO spent $4... Mar 16 ray 1
News Whole Foods Florida Hosting Best Butcher and Fi... (May '13) Mar 15 1 Lake Edge 6
News State inspector issues emergency closure order ... (Mar '12) Feb 27 madoff agenda 5
News Lunar New Year: Where to banquet in San Francisco Feb '15 michaeltrett88 1
News Girl Scout Cookie alert: Welcome to Thin Mint w... Feb '15 Pete 1
More from around the web