Barefoot Green's to be reborn as The ...

Barefoot Green's to be reborn as The Happy Clam

There are 47 comments on the Fredericksburg.com story from Mar 2, 2012, titled Barefoot Green's to be reborn as The Happy Clam. In it, Fredericksburg.com reports that:

Richard Moncure, who owned and operated the Happy Clam restaurant in Colonial Beach, will open the former Barefoot Green's in Fredericksburg as The Happy Clam at Barefoot Green's He grew up working in his father's Happy Clam restaurant where Renato's is located today in Fredericksburg.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fredericksburg.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dunkirk

King George, VA

#1 Mar 3, 2012
Moncure should have named it "The Grifters" since thats what they do best. How can you be bankrupt, owe people thousands of dollars and be awarded a tax exception...you talk about Government waste at the local level. The City of Fredericksburg should be ashamed to award someone who has taken so much from his partners and friends without even trying to be a little responsible. How many chances do you get using other peoples personal income and hardwork only to claim Bankruptcy and sliver away to your next victim...Tax payers wise up..
smartass

Tacoma, WA

#2 Mar 5, 2012
Details please or is this just opinion?
The Truth

Newburg, MD

#3 Mar 5, 2012
Their is alot of truth in the first statement "smartass". Richard Moncure aka Colonial Beach seafood, aka The Happy Clam have filed bankruptcy. There is at least one lswsuit that has been filed against him by the Blunt brothers who own the lighthouse. For a period of time the happy clam operated at that location after hurrican isabel destroyed the clam at potomac beach. The suit is for a number of things including back rent owed and destruction of property. With all this being said and known to be true, in my opinion it shouldnt have an overbearing affect on the city of fredericksburg. They awarded the tax exception because they felt it was in their best interest to do so. Their other option was to have another empty building in town bringing on no sales tax revenue. The tax exception is really not very large and spread over a number of years.
Vicki S

Alexandria, VA

#4 Mar 5, 2012
Dunkirk wrote:
Moncure should have named it "The Grifters" since thats what they do best. How can you be bankrupt, owe people thousands of dollars and be awarded a tax exception...you talk about Government waste at the local level. The City of Fredericksburg should be ashamed to award someone who has taken so much from his partners and friends without even trying to be a little responsible. How many chances do you get using other peoples personal income and hardwork only to claim Bankruptcy and sliver away to your next victim...Tax payers wise up..
But, how is the food?
smartass

Tacoma, WA

#5 Mar 5, 2012
The Truth wrote:
Their is alot of truth in the first statement "smartass". Richard Moncure aka Colonial Beach seafood, aka The Happy Clam have filed bankruptcy. There is at least one lswsuit that has been filed against him by the Blunt brothers who own the lighthouse. For a period of time the happy clam operated at that location after hurrican isabel destroyed the clam at potomac beach. The suit is for a number of things including back rent owed and destruction of property. With all this being said and known to be true, in my opinion it shouldnt have an overbearing affect on the city of fredericksburg. They awarded the tax exception because they felt it was in their best interest to do so. Their other option was to have another empty building in town bringing on no sales tax revenue. The tax exception is really not very large and spread over a number of years.
I certainly don't have a horse in the race...just asking about the substance of it. The city is not in the business of doing background checks re: litigation. They want the sales tax revenue. Just thought maybe this was a disgruntled employee or someone who didn't like their crabcake exacting a little revenge with Topix. Thanks for the info.
Happy As A Clam

Arlington, VA

#6 Mar 5, 2012
The Truth wrote:
"Big" Richard only ran the Happy Clam at this location for about a year. Someone else took over the operation, and then, YOUNG Richard and his wife Jess(?)assumed management until the placed closed. I am quite fond of Mr. and Mrs. Moncure in Fredericksburg -they are 1st class, and "Big" Richard knows how to run a restaurant despite the above post. There were other dynamics between the Blunts and the Moncures which are between them and none of our business. We are regulars in the Colonial Beach restaurants and will also head out to Fredericksburg to visit the new Happy Clam. Here's to a successful season for all.
smartass

Tacoma, WA

#7 Mar 5, 2012
Happy As A Clam wrote:
<quoted text>
"Big" Richard only ran the Happy Clam at this location for about a year. Someone else took over the operation, and then, YOUNG Richard and his wife Jess(?)assumed management until the placed closed. I am quite fond of Mr. and Mrs. Moncure in Fredericksburg -they are 1st class, and "Big" Richard knows how to run a restaurant despite the above post. There were other dynamics between the Blunts and the Moncures which are between them and none of our business. We are regulars in the Colonial Beach restaurants and will also head out to Fredericksburg to visit the new Happy Clam. Here's to a successful season for all.
Oh I agree.. I was initially asking the question about bankruptcy, whether it was true or not. Quite frankly, I love the crabcakes so much at the 'Clam that Richard could rob a bank and I'd still eat there.
Happy As A Clam

Arlington, VA

#8 Mar 5, 2012
smartass wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I agree.. I was initially asking the question about bankruptcy, whether it was true or not. Quite frankly, I love the crabcakes so much at the 'Clam that Richard could rob a bank and I'd still eat there.
I am right there with you my friend!
The Truth

Newburg, MD

#9 Mar 5, 2012
Happy As A Clam wrote:
<quoted text>
little Richard Moncure was not managing the restaurant when it shut down. Tommy Feltner was signing checks and running day to day activities. Big Richard was still involved (owner), otherwise he wouldnt be involved in the lawsuit, and he still owns the rights to the happy clam name. Im not trying to beat up on anyone as I know all involved personally. However if the topic is being discussed I will correct any false information with the truth.
The Fly

Tappahannock, VA

#10 Mar 5, 2012
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>little Richard Moncure was not managing the restaurant when it shut down. Tommy Feltner was signing checks and running day to day activities. Big Richard was still involved (owner), otherwise he wouldnt be involved in the lawsuit, and he still owns the rights to the happy clam name. Im not trying to beat up on anyone as I know all involved personally. However if the topic is being discussed I will correct any false information with the truth.
I think you need to get YOUR facts straight. Little Richard Moncure was managing the clam when it was shut down . Mr Feltner had left and is now getting the shaft from these so called good people
The Truth

Aylett, VA

#11 Mar 5, 2012
The Fly wrote:
<quoted text>I think you need to get YOUR facts straight. Little Richard Moncure was managing the clam when it was shut down . Mr Feltner had left and is now getting the shaft from these so called good people
Ok sure. If he had left and cleaned his hands of the place then how could he possibly get the shaft? I dont believe I ever called any of them good people. If you lay with dogs you will get fleas however. I do know that!
The Fly

Tappahannock, VA

#12 Mar 5, 2012
The Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Ok sure. If he had left and cleaned his hands of the place then how could he possibly get the shaft? I dont believe I ever called any of them good people. If you lay with dogs you will get fleas however. I do know that!
If you lay with the Moncure's you will get more than fleas.If you know Mr. Feltner just ask him.
Sad

King George, VA

#13 Mar 5, 2012
Aside from the financial problems....I don't know what everyone saw in the crab cakes. I tried them when "lil" Richard was running the restaurant and hated them. They were fried and had a lot of filler. The best in town at that time was Dockside when Jamie was the Chef, and now I believe Fat Fredda's has the best. Just saying.....

And....I asked Richard if he could broil my crab cakes and he said no.
Goodbody

Mechanicsville, VA

#14 Mar 6, 2012
The facts, Mr Feltner had nothing to do with the failure of the Happy Clam as he was long gone for more than a year. Mr Moncure Jr. had everything to do with the failure of the Happy Clam under the guidence of his father who became tired of the restaurant business. The judgement for the Blunts is more than $60,000.00 dollars from Moncure Sr. and a judgement against the son Richard Jr. is not accessible because his LLC went bankrupt. Mr Moncure's judgement is for personal judgement not involving a LLC. However he has claimed personal bankruptcy to avoid paying back the money. The judgements are for back rents, damage to the property, missing equipment and lawyer fees. These are the facts...be very careful doing business with people who have been involved in these types of situations. Also, the Happy Clam name and sinage can be used anytime and anywhere as there is not a claim to "Rights" in fact because of the judgement the Blunts have the right to the name and I believe they still have the signs.
Jan Baker

Alexandria, VA

#15 Mar 6, 2012
I don't care about any of this, I just want a good crab cake that I am willing to pay for. I loved the ones at the Happy Clam, but am loving Mr Densons right now!....
Taurus

Tappahannock, VA

#16 Mar 6, 2012
Fat Freda's has a great crabcake. I've never had a bad sandwich there, but was surprised that their crabcake was as good or better than any in town.
2sipsAlexandriaV A

Alexandria, VA

#17 Mar 6, 2012
Dunkirk wrote:
Is that the same Moncure from Alexandria, VA. If so we are cousins:
Jan Baker

Alexandria, VA

#18 Mar 8, 2012
2sipsAlexandriaVA wrote:
<quoted text>Is that the same Moncure from Alexandria, VA. If so we are cousins:
Family , maybe theynwill give you x2 crab cakes
THe clam

Halethorpe, MD

#19 Mar 15, 2012
Ok people little richard as you can him is actually a good man just because of bankrupsy you all make him seem like a crook, when i was growing up he really helped me turn my life around he gave me a job knowing of my past and showed me that even though people judge you can still be a good person have a good time and work hard he taught me how to cook at witch point i was the cook untill the huricane put the clam in the ground was a sad sad time, he belived in me and is still there for me and a few others that were around at this time we were a team, this man would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. And again just because he had finacial problems dont judge for that everyone has them....
Jan Baker

Alexandria, VA

#20 Mar 15, 2012
THe clam wrote:
Ok people little richard as you can him is actually a good man just because of bankrupsy you all make him seem like a crook, when i was growing up he really helped me turn my life around he gave me a job knowing of my past and showed me that even though people judge you can still be a good person have a good time and work hard he taught me how to cook at witch point i was the cook untill the huricane put the clam in the ground was a sad sad time, he belived in me and is still there for me and a few others that were around at this time we were a team, this man would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. And again just because he had finacial problems dont judge for that everyone has them....
I only judge the crab cakes and his were delicious! And if you were cooking them, you can cook!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seafood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Where to Go for Seafood in Washington, D.C. Aug 26 Stephany McDowell 1
News Shrimp grows up (Dec '08) Aug 24 daisy 6
News Shrimp Grown In Tanks Make A Splash, Coming To ... Aug 21 Stephany McDowell 1
News Captain D's Now Open in Franklin North Carolina (Nov '15) Aug 19 The Watcher 6
News Shutting down 'shark finning': US fishermen pro... Jul '16 Captain Yesterday 6
News Ultra Foods in Crestwood offers array of prepar... (Jun '12) Jul '16 resident 28
News Did Kelly's invent the roast beef sandwich? Eit... (May '15) Jul '16 Matter of taste 3
More from around the web