New York real estate: Canarsie, Brooklyn

Full story: AMNY 9
Armando's Pizza, a neighborhood staple is located right next to the subway station in Canarsie, Brooklyn. Full Story
patty

New York, NY

#1 Jul 5, 2008
very good article! always wondered what was at the end of the "L" train
no-free-o

Dover, NJ

#2 Jul 9, 2008
I call this place the JV Flatbush. Its seems everyone moves from flatbush to here thinking its a better place. The problem is, you bring the riff raff from flatbush in and drive the crime right up. Crime and fires are up in this little place called Canarsie, because its the up and coming ghetto. Used to be a great place to live, what a shame it has become today.
native canarsian

AOL

#3 Jul 9, 2008
sorry. can't agree. spent the first 57 yrs. of my life there. went back once, thought it was digusting and have vowed never to go there again. sorry, but i knew canarsie when it was something to brag about!!!!
no-free-o

Dover, NJ

#4 Jul 10, 2008
Not to mention, Canarsie High School and South Shore HS are one of the worst in the city. The city is now closing one of them. On the rise steady in the last 10-15 yrs are crime, gangs, fires, foreclosures,and Landlord-tenant disputes. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out why.
True Native of Canarsie

Brentwood, NY

#5 Aug 17, 2008
native canarsian wrote:
sorry. can't agree. spent the first 57 yrs. of my life there. went back once, thought it was digusting and have vowed never to go there again. sorry, but i knew canarsie when it was something to brag about!!!!
Are you referring to Canarsie when it was predominately Italian, before the influx of African Americans invaded? If so, I know what you mean. My family was one of the first Black families to move into this community. Iím proud to say that we remain here and have brought a beautiful cultural diversity to this side of Brooklyn, and Iím sorry if that has disgusted you so much. I hope you enjoy your new life in Staten Island, Long Island, or wherever the hell you people ran off to. Since then our property has become 10 times more valuable, so you just left more room for us to grab prime Brooklyn property. PEACE!
True Native of Canarsie

Brentwood, NY

#6 Aug 18, 2008
no-free-o wrote:
Not to mention, Canarsie High School and South Shore HS are one of the worst in the city. The city is now closing one of them. On the rise steady in the last 10-15 yrs are crime, gangs, fires, foreclosures,and Landlord-tenant disputes. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out why.
Let us address the issue of our schools. We have only one high school in Canarsie, and Canarsie High School services 2761 teens from our area as well as neighboring areas. With a Student-Teacher ratio of 22 when the State Average Student ĖTeacher Ratio is 13 you can see just how overcrowded this school has become. South Shore is the second school mentioned and is not located in the Canarsie area of Brooklyn, look it up. This high school however, has already began their phase out process, not accepting any new 9th grader as of September of 2007. This has been the same for other Brooklyn high school such as Tilden and Wingate. This leaves hundreds of new 9th grader displaced, and majority of these teens ended up attending Canarsie high school as a result. The overcrowding of these schools combined with the lack of caring, experienced teaching staff, and the lack of funding for proper school materials and books are the factors which has lead to Canarsie High being phased out starting September 2008. And the lack of funding, and government intervention other than school closures is not helping the situation either. Secondly, crime and gangs are a city wide problem. There is no escaping these issues because you live in a residential neighborhood. And Iíve never heard of your other points being an issue. There is no reports and/or documentation stating that there has been a rise in fires or landlord-tenant disputes? And I donít know if youíve noticed, but foreclosures are a national problem. In the month of July, 272,171 U.S. properties received a foreclosure filing, got a default notice, were warned of a pending auction or were foreclosed. That represents an 8% increase from the previous month, and a 55% increase year over year. I guess we should blame that on Canarsie as well.
tell the truth

Bellmore, NY

#7 Oct 29, 2013
Keep blaming everyone else

I notice you claim to be a proud remaining black Canarsie person but your ID says Brentwood which is Long Island.

Both High schools have closed for low graduation levels, lack of attendance and poor standing. Doesn't sound so overcrowded to me. Caring teachers? What about a community that values education. You must be one of those who did not graduate because one look at the MLS listings shows that property values have not gone up. They are abysmal. No one wants to live there, clearly not even you.

Blame blame blame everyone else so you don't have to do the heavy lifting, the real work. The proof is all there. Try reality for once, own it. Its your only path to real change.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Oct 29, 2013
Canarsie used to be Italian/Jewish. Not anymore LMAO
Moses Kestenbaum ODA

New York, NY

#9 Nov 2, 2013
Black invasion of Canarsie increased the crime in the neighborhood then came the Spanish and quadrupled it, it's now a certified ghetto Ana heaven for crime gangs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seafood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seafood festival organizer, seventh-generation ... Sat Anon420 1
Food Story: From Mumbai to Calicut, the evoluti... Oct 13 mukesh 1
Poseidon adventures at Tampa Museum of Art Oct 9 Billyfae 2
Broadening District Oct 8 goemeasnciuh 1
Escaped crabs delays flight Oct 3 Cath League of Du... 1
For Tupelo transplant, food is all about local ... Oct 1 Fail 1
What Foods Russians May Miss Thanks to Putin's Ban Oct 1 Here Is One 304

Seafood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE