Puttin' on the ribs: Aztec man gets in on barbecue biz

Full story: Farmington Daily Times

Carl Vandruff's new barbecue joint is a taste of home. Truly, it is. The property on which Aztec's new Red Barn Barbecue stands is the very same property on which Vandruff's childhood home stood.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
johnny reb

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

I don't know what the big deal is. We've been there ONCE and we were not impressed at all !!! Meat was dry and cold and service was slow and rude. We'll take Serious Texas BBQ anytime !!!!!
jackm

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Carl is one of the kindest guys I know. Good Luck!
BBQ Man

Silver City, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Spare Rib!!!!
Impressed

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

The maccaroni salad is very good and I thought the service was excellent. Would go back again. Loved the ribs also.
Cheeky

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

johnny reb wrote:
I don't know what the big deal is. We've been there ONCE and we were not impressed at all !!! Meat was dry and cold and service was slow and rude. We'll take Serious Texas BBQ anytime !!!!!
Funny, we've been there a few times and never had poor food or bad service. Are you sure you aren't the type that likes to throw a fit about everything?
American citizen

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

johnny reb wrote:
I think that you need to give it another shot. This place is excellent. I go there at least once a week and always get great food and great service. But like the other person said, maybe your just looking for flaws everywhere you go.
johnny reb

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Cheeky wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, we've been there a few times and never had poor food or bad service. Are you sure you aren't the type that likes to throw a fit about everything?
Actually I only throw a fit when I pay good money for a meal AND service that wasn't worth it. Again.......SERIOUS TEXAS BBQ is the best !!!!!
Aztec Resident

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

I wish anyone luck who takes a shot and gives it a good honest try, but I have to say I wasnt impressed. The first impression is always best; the place was not clean on the Friday night we went (within the first month), the soda machine was clicking as it was out a few choices, the staff gave us some random order, and the food was mediocre at best. Living in Aztec I was very excited to have another establishment to choose from but I wont be back, I will gladly drive to Farmington to eat at Spare Rib or Serious Texas for the clean atmosphere, great service, and food.
Farmington Local

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

I'm going to give it a try today for lunch. I have driven past the Red Barn a few times on my way to the Library.....never stoped.

Today I will......hope it's as good as they say.

As for Serious Texas BBQ....in Durango and Farmington, not impressed. BBQ Sauce not to "my" taste and no choices. And a 'little over priced'....Oh well......

Hope Carl does well......let's see how it is today.
Muslim Mikey

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

How much for one rib?
YES

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

It is excellent food, and we have had excellent service each time!!!! If you weren't impressed don't go back!! As for us, we were impressed and will go back again and again...
Kowabunga

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Spare Rib is still the best in this area.

Wish we had a Rudy's!
Tells It Like It Is

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Traveling from Albuquerque to Durango, stopped and
had lunch, good food and service. will stop again
on my next trip to Durango.
Texan

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Good luck Red Bard BBQ! I'm always excited about a new place to eat and will visit soon!
Muslim Mikey

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Kowabunga wrote:
Spare Rib is still the best in this area.
Wish we had a Rudy's!
Spare Rib = Bland.
Muslim Mike

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Mikey, you should not be eating "pork"....but you can call it "chicken" and eat away!

Muuuuuuuu good!

{how you coming on the Virgin thing?]
Ray

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Mmmm... looks really good!
Gotta go there when I go back to visit.
BBQ Fan

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

My favorite is the pulled pork Tiger Taco! Delish & a great deal.
stillinut84651

Ogden, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

Oh my! Makes me homesick. Love BBQ. Hope to visit Aztec and Red Barn BBQ soon.
The Patriot

Farmington, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2011

Judged:

I stop there on a regular basis on the way home from work. I have NEVER seen the place out of order or dirty. and have NEVER gotten bad service. I have known Carl since he was a toddler, and he comes from a polite, kind-hearted family. All their meat is actually wood-smoked, rather than Liquid Smoked like some of the other places.
There's always going to be whiners and complainers about any place...my brother is that way...but for my money, I will stick with The Red Barn.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of71
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••