The search for the perfect Cuban sandwich

Andy Huse has been hard-pressed to find a proper Cuban sandwich, even in Ybor City, its birthplace. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Crocodile

San Antonio, TX

#1 Dec 11, 2006
Excellent article.

The Tampa Bay area has some of the BEST Cuban Sandwiches in the world.
Santiago

United States

#2 Dec 11, 2006
Crocodile wrote:
Excellent article.
The Tampa Bay area has some of the BEST Cuban Sandwiches in the world.
Yes I had a good Cuban sandwich in Tampa also.
But the ones I likes are the ones are Calle in the big MIAMI.........I Also like the ones at Sedanos in Hialeah..........any way you find Cubans Exiles you find good cuban sandwich and cafe Cubano..........Also in Key West.

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#3 Dec 11, 2006
YES, MIAMI (CUBA'S SECOND MOST POPULATED CITY,SECOND ONLY TO HAVANA),IS THE BEST PLACE TO EAT, THE FAMOUS CUBAN SANDWICH,OR MEDIA NOCHE, UNFORTUNATELY, IT IS VERY HARD TO FIND A GOOD PLACE IN HAVANA, TODAY FOR A CUBAN SANWICH
Crocodile

Pflugerville, TX

#4 Dec 11, 2006
Santiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I had a good Cuban sandwich in Tampa also.
But the ones I likes are the ones are Calle in the big MIAMI.........I Also like the ones at Sedanos in Hialeah..........any way you find Cubans Exiles you find good cuban sandwich and cafe Cubano..........Also in Key West.
I am happy to see that we can agree on SOMETHING, Santiago!
Crocodile

Austin, TX

#6 Dec 11, 2006
Santiago and I were talking about food and not politics.

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#7 Dec 11, 2006
CROCO
I DOUBT IT, YOU ARE A WELL TRAINED PARROT, I LEARNED NOT TO BELIEVE OF ANY GOOD INTENTIONS COMING FROM YOU, A SANDWICH , WILL NOT HIDE YOUR COWARDS INTENTIONS, TRY HARDER OR BE MORE ORIGINAL,EVEN THE PICKLES IN THE SANDWICH WILL CALL YOU TRAITOR
Santiago

United States

#9 Dec 12, 2006
Crocodile wrote:
<quoted text>
I am happy to see that we can agree on SOMETHING, Santiago!
Yeah ...unfurtunately we are not agree in serius issues regarding freedom for Cubans in the Island which is the main thing.

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#11 Dec 12, 2006
YES THEY ARE FREE OF DOMINANCE BY THE UNITED STATES, AND CAPIOALISM, THEY ARE VICTIMS OF COMMUNISM , AND A CRAZY DICTATOR,THEY ARE ALREADY SUFFERING ENOUGHT
Crocodile

San Antonio, TX

#12 Dec 12, 2006
CAPIOALISM??????????

Ha! Ha! Ha!

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#13 Dec 13, 2006
GOVERNMENR??????????
HA! HA! HA!, BY THE WAY THE ONE THAT LAUGHS LAST LAUGH BETTER (EL QUE RIE ULTIMO ,RIE MEJOR, COSAS VERES, QUERIDO SANCHO}
Amelitas

Terra Ceia, FL

#14 Mar 21, 2008
Where did all these experts come from. Did you know that the cuban sandwich as we know it today did not even originate in Cuba, but in Tampa not even your beloved Miami. These sandwiches were developed for the cigar workers and were called "sangwiche mixtos" excuse the spelling cause I never wrote it only said it. Anyway they started being called Cubans by the Americans, because of the cuban styled loaves of bread that are 36" long. If you research Cuban sandwiches you will find that the cuban sandwich was almost like a club sandwich with the crust cut off. And in my day the Cuban as we now know it was never pressed it could be toasted on request. The media noche was a Cuban from the day before pressed on a plancha. The salami was introduced into the sandwich to appease the Italian cigar workers in Tampa. Ybor City that I knew is dead and gone, but the sandwich lives on in my place Amelita's Spanish Cuban Cafe 1840 62nd Ave N, St Pete, Fl
Pamela

San Antonio, TX

#15 May 10, 2008
Broccatos Cuban Sandwich in Tampa is the by far the best. Haven't even found a cuban sandwich here in San Antonio.

“America la bella!!”

Since: Jan 07

que Dios te bendiga

#16 May 10, 2008
The best link to a Cuban Sandwich...don't forget the butter over the sandwich on "la plancha" http://cuban.com/food/cuban_sandwich.html
peter

Miami, FL

#17 May 10, 2008
Sarussi restaurant Calle Ocho y 69 ave.
The Best sandwich ever

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#18 May 10, 2008
peter wrote:
The Best sandwich ever
thank you peter!I came to Miami fir my son graduation at UM and leaving Monday orning,but befire i go I will visit Sarussi.I let you now about it tomorrow!

“America la bella!!”

que Dios te bendiga

#19 May 11, 2008
peter wrote:
The Best sandwich ever
I'm sorry Peter but Sarussi is not a real Cuban sandwich....it taste good, but it has chorizo and alot of greese in it. Thet were good back 1984, today they are allready made just waitting for a client to heat them in 'la plancha' and...Where is the meat? And the place itself have stinks...It is nice for a rainy day.

“America la bella!!”

que Dios te bendiga

#20 May 11, 2008
There is a cafeteria on SW 27 ave entre US1 and 8 st...Latin American(only this Latin American is Indep. owned)where the sandwiches are more like the one at Cuba's El Carmelo y Cafeteria America. and the Postres are real good. the place is "always full" clean and it really looks like a Cafeteria in Havana 1958 years, antes de que el barbudo acabara con todo. Today in Miami you must ask to have the Lunchero make it from scrash.

“America la bella!!”

que Dios te bendiga

#21 May 11, 2008
Amelitas wrote:
Where did all these experts come from. Did you know that the cuban sandwich as we know it today did not even originate in Cuba, but in Tampa not even your beloved Miami. These sandwiches were developed for the cigar workers and were called "sangwiche mixtos" excuse the spelling cause I never wrote it only said it. Anyway they started being called Cubans by the Americans, because of the cuban styled loaves of bread that are 36" long. If you research Cuban sandwiches you will find that the cuban sandwich was almost like a club sandwich with the crust cut off. And in my day the Cuban as we now know it was never pressed it could be toasted on request. The media noche was a Cuban from the day before pressed on a plancha. The salami was introduced into the sandwich to appease the Italian cigar workers in Tampa. Ybor City that I knew is dead and gone, but the sandwich lives on in my place Amelita's Spanish Cuban Cafe 1840 62nd Ave N, St Pete, Fl
Amelita don't be so proud... after all clients will always have the last word of which sandwich is the best, specially here where competition is great.. Ill stop at you place next time.

“America la bella!!”

que Dios te bendiga

#22 May 11, 2008
Hblando de jamones..lo que hace un sandwich cubano creanlo ono es un jamon de pierna sin hueso planchado a mano. los espanoles en Cuba nos ensenaron a comer el mejor jamon del mundo y tambien dejaron de traerlo de Espana; pues en Cuba habia una excelente cria de puerco y se planchaba hasta en las panaderias. Yo recuerdo hacer colas( no las colas de ahora) con mi papa en El Bombero" en Ave. Porvenir y Calle 1ra. Lawton todos los Domingos despues de Misa en Los padres Pasionistas.. eran espanoles-cubanos..todo era exquisito..recuerdo los cangrejitos de pescado mis favoritos!! Que tiempos tan bellos!!!

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#23 May 11, 2008
Marie in Miami Fl wrote:
<quoted text>Amelita don't be so proud... after all clients will always have the last word of which sandwich is the best, specially here where competition is great.. Ill stop at you place next time.
Marie!
It seems that our frienf Amelita is a little confused about the history of our world famous 'Sanwhich Cubano'!
The Cuban sandwich was first prepared in Cuba in the XVI Century and brought to Tampa by Cuban cigar workers in the 1800's.About Miami!Cuban sandwiches were already being munched in Cuba and in Tampa when Miami was still only an orange grove!In Tampa the Italians liked to add Salami to their Cuban sandwiches,but that can only be call an inbreed,but not a real Cuban Sanwich!

In Cuba, the sandwich was not known as a Cuban sandwich, but simply called 'sandwich.' Since it was made in Cuba with Cuban bread there was no need to name it Cuban sandwich. Not so much that the Cuban bread in Cuba was not called Cuban bread, simply it is called bread. The sandwich has been a Cuban tradition since the early 1500's. In fact before the Cuban cigar makers came to Tampa they lived in Key West.

Cubans also had the ham which was brought by the Spaniards, and the cheese that was also brought by the Spaniards. Also at the time of the discovery, the original inhabitants of Cuba, the Taino/Arakaks, were making cheese. The traditional Cuban sandwich had evolved into the delicacy we know today, however not in Tampa, but to the Cubans in the island who took better than 400 years to make this delicacy perfect and allow all of us to enjoy the fruit of their expertise in sandwich making.
In Cuba when regular ham was not available or was to expensive, jamonada was used (this is more along the lines of chopped ham). Also in past centuries when bread was not available, casabe (a crispy flat bread made from cassava or yuca flour) was a logical substitute. This happened primarily in the Oriente province, not so much in the central provinces. The main reason why this happened mainly in Oriente is because the Taino influence was stronger in that area.

Another aspect of the Cuban sandwich is that for the most part what makes it different is " La Plancha" this is a unit that toasts the sandwich to make it crispy and warm. Also, the best bread is called the water bread, which toasts better in " La Plancha."

"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pizza Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Forghedaboudit joins Silver restaurant row 20 hr Drifter 6
Barilla Pasta Opens Restaurant in Mega-Gay Midt... (Mar '14) Sep 13 Marco 15
East Stroudsburg pizza parlor offers discounts ... Sep 13 heroin 4 hillbillys 2
Derby couple with pizza-making past open new jo... Sep 11 MCRICK 6
Researchers Develop Novel Compound From Fart... Sep 5 Belinda Funkbuck 2
Little Caesars cements deal Sep 4 Hold everything 17
CRUISING Corydon Aug 31 blast a boggin 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••