Restaurant review: Engfer Pizza Works...

Restaurant review: Engfer Pizza Works' wood-fired pies and home...

There are 23 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Apr 28, 2010, titled Restaurant review: Engfer Pizza Works' wood-fired pies and home.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

You've got to be intrigued about a place with something called No-Name on the menu.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pizza Lover

Alviso, CA

#21 Apr 29, 2010
JustJoe wrote:
It's not my favorite pizza in town (that would be Upper Crust on Mission), but the overall experience is great. I feel welcome at Engfer, from the moment I walk in, and that welcome is extended by everyone who works there. Their pizzas have soul, unlike, say, that franchise operation downtown that hosts the beer blasts on Wednesdays. One suggestion: If you're going with a group, resist the urge to order several individual pizzas. That could take a long time. Better to order one or two large pizzas that are subdivided into toppings. Engfer is a winner, and I hope they're around for a very long time!
Upper Crust is machine-cut, stale veggies piled on a cardboard crust with plastic cheese.

And pizzas with subdivided toppings (do you work in County planning, by chance?)? That must make the pizza makers happy..."We'll have an extra large that is one third no-name, one third vegetarian, one third that hot pepper thing you do...but don't put too many peppers on it....".

A pizza topping should be integrated into the pie. That's my point about too many places going overboard on toppings.
Immigration

Daly City, CA

#22 Apr 29, 2010
I've been very disappointed in the pizza in Santa Cruz. Pizza My Heart is average at best, unfortunately it is the best pizza I can find here in Santa Cruz. I'm going to give Engfer's a try, many friends have said good things about the place.

Pizza lover is spot on, the best pizzas are simple, little sauce and few toppings
SCTreelover

Dublin, CA

#23 Apr 29, 2010
X Kyuzmi wrote:
<quoted text>
The short answer to your question is no, not in Santa Cruz. My thought is that you may want to "roll your own" (that way you can experiment with the dough, sauce and cheese to your liking, plus, only you would really know what "just the right amount" of toppping would be) and try to replicate the wood fired oven using a BBQ (unless you've got the "dough" haha, to buy your own custom wood fired pizza oven. Another option might be to see if you can convince one of our local pizzeria's to try and replicate the pizza you've described. Good Luck with it.
I suggest you try Redwood Pizzeria in Felton...great owners, best PIzza in the SC area, they've done it just right,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Your Side - Pot Pie Recall (Oct '07) Apr 1 Mm Mm Good 52
News HESS RECIPES: Hess's Strawberry Pie Recipes (Jun '09) Mar '18 Troy Sharesky 6
News Frozen pizza almost as good as real thing (Dec '10) Mar '18 jose 29
News East Boston: Santarpio's Pizza (Aug '11) Feb '18 Myron Mixon 3
News Blue Owl pie makes Oprah's list of favorite things (Jan '12) Oct '17 guest 12
News Lincolnton 38 mins ago 8:33 p.m.Lincoln County ... (Sep '17) Sep '17 TipMyHat2U 1
News Finally Getting Sweet on Jioio's Pizza (Jan '13) Jul '17 pgh 4