August is a great time for blueberry ...

August is a great time for blueberry picking

There are 17 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Aug 14, 2007, titled August is a great time for blueberry picking. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Fresh blueberries are always a hit in the summertime. Bursting with flavor and nutrients, they make a great addition to pancakes, muffins or salads.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Sharon Anne

Bakersfield, CA

#1 Aug 15, 2007
Where are places to pick the berries, please...
Tree

Asheville, NC

#2 Aug 15, 2007
Sharon Anne wrote:
Where are places to pick the berries, please...
Graveyard fields-- milemarker 420 on the blue ridge parkway-- but don't tell anyone else ;) more for us!!

“"We have come too far, ”

Since: Apr 07

Corinth, Texas

#3 Aug 15, 2007
Great time for getting snake bit as well. Remember folks that snakes hide under these berry bushes which are close to the ground and await birds who come to feed from the berry bush. That I can attest to. Been up close and personal too many times to copperheads when picking blueberries. Thanks to Cricket, my faithful snake dog I was warned in advance and the copperhead met its demise in the teeth of Cricket.

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Since: Feb 07

Leicester

#4 Aug 15, 2007
Ticker wrote:
Great time for getting snake bit as well. Remember folks that snakes hide under these berry bushes which are close to the ground and await birds who come to feed from the berry bush. That I can attest to. Been up close and personal too many times to copperheads when picking blueberries. Thanks to Cricket, my faithful snake dog I was warned in advance and the copperhead met its demise in the teeth of Cricket.
I find picking berries tedious. But I dont mind eating them, at all. However, I hate copperheads. Many have met their demise up here on my mountain due to my screams and squeals and the other half not overlooking what his job is..........

Asheville

#5 Aug 15, 2007
I'm more of a Blackberry fan myself.
Wandaring

Greenville, SC

#6 Aug 15, 2007
they both stain yer teeth real bad

Asheville

#7 Aug 15, 2007
Wandaring wrote:
Aw just take em out and soak em.......
hahahahahahaha

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Aug 15, 2007
I like 'Free's' comment.That is so funny.You gave me a good belly laugh.Everyone needs to laugh that hard at least once a day.Thank you.

Transplanted

“Be No Tarheelborn”

Albermarle

#9 Aug 15, 2007
Free wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw just take em out and soak em.......
I like to "soak it" in sider ;o)

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Leicester

#10 Aug 15, 2007
Transplanted wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh for heavens bells....thats disgusting!!!!!!!

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#11 Aug 15, 2007
Transplanted wrote:
<quoted text>
Only you would admit to that! LOL

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#12 Aug 15, 2007
Ticker wrote:
Thanks for posting that Ticker. I had wild blackberries on my property and would pick them all the time.

I also wore jeans, long sleeve shirt, hiking boots and socks and my eyes, nose and ear for any unusual noises of movement.

If anyone goes out of the area where emergency help is far away, be sure to carry a kit. And read up on snakes and spiders. Not too fun if you get struck by
a copperhead or have a recluse or black widow get you.

“RadicalDudette”

Location hidden

#13 Aug 15, 2007
Wandaring wrote:
Comes off of teeth better than white shirts!

Transplanted

“Be No Tarheelborn”

Albermarle

#14 Aug 15, 2007
Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh for heavens bells....thats disgusting!!!!!!!
LMAO
rickm

Asheboro, NC

#15 Aug 16, 2007
I was up at a spot a few years ago and it was overrun by a bunch of non english speaking types who were picking everything. I left to call a ranger and by the time I returned they were piling into a van to had off somewhere else. That's right, it was a commercial operation. They even picked the GREEN ones.
steve lister

Asheville, NC

#16 Aug 1, 2008
oh no... there aren't any blueberries at
graveyard fields...
Hmmm

Weaverville, NC

#17 Feb 17, 2012
rickm wrote:
I was up at a spot a few years ago and it was overrun by a bunch of non english speaking types who were picking everything. I left to call a ranger and by the time I returned they were piling into a van to had off somewhere else. That's right, it was a commercial operation. They even picked the GREEN ones.
Did it happen to be a couple with a bunch of kids?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Baker works late nights making Wyoming's most p... May '16 tgavac 1
News HESS RECIPES: Hess's Strawberry Pie Recipes (Jun '09) Mar '16 Ex Hess Patio Baker 4
News Food Fight: Aretha Franklin Is Launching a Line... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Seflerinmutfagi 1
News January 14 Vallejo A&E Source Restaurant Review... (Jan '16) Jan '16 deliciousdessert 2
News HemetHEMET: Popular Marie Callender's restauran... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Law abiding citizen 3
News Beyond Pumpkin: Westchester Bakeries Feature Va... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Elise In Greenville 1
News Sweet potato pies go hot off Walmart shelves (Nov '15) Nov '15 Elise In Greenville 1
More from around the web