Pie Lover's Guide to Grand Rapids, Michigan

Oct 5, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Associated Content

Pie is a popular dessert, and with good reason. With so many different varieties, there is no such thing as simply "pie." Peach pie, cherry pie, pecan pie, and chocolate cream pie are just a few of the many kinds in existence.

Comments
1 - 20 of 45 Comments Last updated Mar 7, 2010
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

Get in your cars and go to Shipshewana, Indiana. There the Amish work and bake at a restaurant right next to the Antique Auction barn and the flea market. Best pie i have ever had in my life. So good, when i am there, while my wife has lunch, i have three pieces of pie....lol...

Since: Jan 09

Hersey, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

Judged:

Maybe the Amish around here should go down there for baking lessons. The stuff they sell in this area is lousy.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

Yeah, years ago i lived in Sturgis and briefly worked with Amish.....we did'nt discover the pie until years later on vacation. Now its a must on the way to my hometown, Grand Haven....

Since: Jul 09

SW Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

I love pie!

Crane's Apple Orchard outside of Fennville has great pie and apple crisp. We usually buy the apple or cherry crisp outside at the window, after picking apples. Biggest problem is - the crowd. It is so popular now, it is better to go on a bad weather day or else you could be standing in line for a while.

I also love - Big Boy's Mud Pie.
Burtsupperlip

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

Judged:

I had some Indiana pie. It cost me 10 years of suffering and half my income.

SW Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

Go Blue wrote:
Get in your cars and go to Shipshewana, Indiana. There the Amish work and bake at a restaurant right next to the Antique Auction barn and the flea market. Best pie i have ever had in my life. So good, when i am there, while my wife has lunch, i have three pieces of pie....lol...
Have you ever tried the pie at the Bread Box in Shipshewana? I always get one of their small raspberry pies. Of course, their cinnamon rolls are huge and they are the best. We already get them for breakfast, if we are camping down there.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Bubbly4now, i have never been there, but i think its at the only 4way stop in town...lol...I absolutely love raspberry, i love all things pie. I hope Shipshewana never changes.....i used to sit in the livestock auction there and it was like a Norman Rockwell painting, little amish kids mixed in with grampas with their hats and long beards....BTW, amish make noodles there that you can take home cook, guess thats more important to me.....used to be amish around Colon...

Since: Sep 08

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Best pies around by far are from Beth I in Montague, I think she has them in some of the Gilmore places.

Holland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

I hear you can get some pie pretty cheap near the corner of Wealthy and Divison. Might be a little over done and tough though
Allende

Laconia, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Go Blue wrote:
I agree. I have been there. The Amish bake great pies. The cook other tasty food too.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Allende, this is a little off topic but, when i lived up there i learned that the amish were kinda green thinking by lifestyle and they kept their foods basic and without alot of preservatives. Their farms were always nice, with the sturdy basic buildings and best thing of all...no bank loans...

“Everybody gets one (L)”

Since: Apr 09

Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Judged:

Go Blue wrote:
Allende, this is a little off topic but, when i lived up there i learned that the amish were kinda green thinking by lifestyle and they kept their foods basic and without alot of preservatives. Their farms were always nice, with the sturdy basic buildings and best thing of all...no bank loans...
amish are very wise in their ways.. i've always respected them
Allende

Laconia, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2009

Go Blue wrote:
They live a simple lifestyle which is part of their religion. They do not use a lot of modern technology. They plow with horses. They do not use electricity (although some use gas stoves). They form a community where the members help each other so they normally do not make claims on welfare or social security (although they do pay taxes). The will go to a doctor but also rely on a lot of natural remedies. They are also pacifists so they are concientious objectors when we have had a draft BUT they do alternate service. There are a lot in Southern Pennsylvania too and after the Battle of Gettysburg, they tended the wounded and buried the dead on both sides.
Allende

Laconia, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2009

Back to food. The Amish do bake great pies but there are other things. They make great "meat and potatoes" types of dishes (after all, they are hard-working farmers!). They are also great at dumplings and noodles.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2009

Judged:

In the late 70's, i lived in Sturgis and worked at a mobilehome factory in Shisshewana as a carpenter, alongside about a 45% amish workforce. They had no problem working with the electronics there, always remember them curiously calling their friends at the RV plant at lunchtime. One friday, the guy that worked next to me told me that if we made our quota, there would be shakes for everybody at shift end, what? shakes?....sure enough, later at the timeclock, there they were handing out milkshakes....the amish thought that was almost like christmas....maybe, many of us lost something along the way....
Allende

Laconia, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2009

I found that true of the Amish. They will use technology on an outside job and they will ride in cars as long as they don't OWN it. They will also travel on buses and planes. I know that although they are are primarily farmers, they do work outside jobs and often in skilled construction trades. They are great carpenters from what I understand.

When they build a barn, the whole community pitches in. I understand they can get a hundred people together and put up a barn in a day or so.

They have a strong ethic of helping each other out. That is why they never go on welfare. They take care of their elderly by building a house for the grandparents on the land of one of the kids.

Good people.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2009

I always wanted to pour a slab up there, then have the amish build a certain barn design on it. Then, transform it into this bitchin house, somewhere around Galesburg...a little bit country, but between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek....and i would have an amish love slave and pie girl....lol...
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2009

With this cooler weather, i figured everyone could use some pie......where's the best and what's your favorite?
Granny Smith

Rockford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2009

abranger wrote:
Maybe the Amish around here should go down there for baking lessons. The stuff they sell in this area is lousy.
You are right about that. I stopped and bought what I thought was peanut butter cookies and they tasted like cardboard.
pieface

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2009

I like ripe cherry pie.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pies Discussions

Search the Pies Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Kentucky silk pie (Dec '08) Jul 5 Tamara 7
President Obama jokes about WH pastry chef putt... Jul 2 reality is a crutch 1
Sag Harbora s George Hirsch Just Wants Food Don... Jun '14 Ryuuk 1
South of Chicago heads north of Indianapolis Mar '14 Interesting 1
Marie Callender pie recall (Aug '07) Mar '14 Diana 18
Pie Five Pizza Co. is Kansas City bound (Apr '13) Jan '14 treschic 4
AppleJack Festival this weekend (Sep '13) Jan '14 John Marteny 5
•••
•••