How to make a Hess's Strawberry Pie

Full story: The Morning Call

Sharing the tale of how I found the recipe for Hess's sky-high strawberry pie makes me feel akin to Miss Jane Marple, Agatha Christie 's highly skilled sleuth.
Comments
1 - 20 of 60 Comments Last updated Jul 2, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
no thank you

Marcus Hook, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

I have never had the chance to have a slice of Strawberry Pie from Hess, I'm sure it tastes great, but the picture doesn't look that good. It kind of looks like Roadkill with some Whipped Topping. No thank you, I will pass.
Matt

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

It was quite delicious. I can still taste it as if I had it yesterday.

Since: Mar 07

Allentown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

no thank you wrote:
I have never had the chance to have a slice of Strawberry Pie from Hess, I'm sure it tastes great, but the picture doesn't look that good. It kind of looks like Roadkill with some Whipped Topping. No thank you, I will pass.
Good. More for the rest of us.

“aka MOB”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

ahh...brings back memories. I miss going to Hess's patio with my Grammy...I miss her too...
Early Bird

Bethlehem, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Thanks for the recipes. I will make it for our CA Cousins who are visiting us this Sat. I appreciate all the trials Diane Stoneback went through to make her pie. I also will use the shortcut of Pillsbury pie crust that Don Maurer recommended. What stores sell Dr. Oetker Whip It whipped cream stabilizer?
CAHair

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

When I was in highschool, Thursday nights my friend and I would go to Hess's Patio and we would share something to eat ( because the portions were so big ) and then each would indulge in a piece of "Strawberry Pie".....I think the price was like $3.75 a slice.... that was a long time ago. My husband used to go into A-town and get me a whole pie ( in the 70's ) instead of a cake for my birthday and we would all enjoy it. I distinctly remember the price for that was $17.50 and if you returned the pie pan they gave you a few dollars back for it......never returned the pans ( have 3 or more ) Some fond memories of Hess's :-) I would love to have that recipe !

Since: Nov 08

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

In 1962 whil I was working in a fast food restaurant on Union Boulevard (Buddy's Beefburgers) I read a food trade magazine that the manager had gotten and there was an article on Hess's Strawberry Pie. It stated how the strawberries were flown in each day to the ABE Airport so they were as fresh as could be etc. In that article they published the recipe. I had kept it but I have not seen it in my shoebox of recipes lately so I believe it was mistakenly discarded.
If I knew then what a treasure it would be I would have laminated it.
Andalusia

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Great! A recipe for strawberry pie.

Now can you never ever write anything about Hess's or strawberry pie ever again?

Enough catering to the nostalgia crowd.
bonzo

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

I don't know which is worse, the endless stories about Hess's strawberry pie, or the deep fried pizza guy. you'd think with a smaller staff at the MCall that they'd be focusing on the important stories not all this fluff.
Knowledge

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Redneck wrote:
lol guess the person who wrote this never looked on the internet for this recipe. and uhmm this is front page news? wow what a rag mcall is. i miss your grammy to..was'nt she a dancer at that club they shut down?
LOL @ the last line of your post. You were dead wrong for saying that someone's grammy was a dancer. However, it did bring me my first laugh of the day. Thanks..
Knowledge

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

bonzo wrote:
I don't know which is worse, the endless stories about Hess's strawberry pie, or the deep fried pizza guy. you'd think with a smaller staff at the MCall that they'd be focusing on the important stories not all this fluff.
----------
Exactly!

Yet, we wonder why our society is suffering with the comorbidities associated with obesity!
Lenny Brisco

Slatington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

I remember those pies, the models, the food of the "Patio". I am glad my parents took me there, now I shall try to "build" me one of those pies!!
Jackie Martling

Macungie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

This chick should get a grip.

For years, the recipe has been easy to find on the Internet (you know, that crazy thing that's aided the demise of rags like The Call).

Perhaps she should get excited about reporting actual news?
Great job Diane

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Great job, Diane!!!

You obviously cared enough about this recipe to go above and beyond.

Unfortunately, those recipes don't appear to be within the online version at the present time.

Anyone in this forum with anything negative to say, simply never had a slice. It's a shame they have to show their jealousy through such negativity.

No worries, those of us who've had that pleasure are grateful for Diane's effort.

Looking forward to trying those recipes in the future myself!
Lenny Brisco

Slatington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Exactly!
Yet, we wonder why our society is suffering with the comorbidities associated with obesity!
OH screw you with this country suffering from OBESITY, I suppose you have a body like a pro fullback, yea right!!! So is Russia, so is Italy, even Japan and China are getting OBESE, The whole world is. These were good times in our lives so a strawberry pie will not make a sh*T bit of difference!! Have a good day
whatever

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Redneck wrote:
lol guess the person who wrote this never looked on the internet for this recipe. and uhmm this is front page news? wow what a rag mcall is. i miss your grammy to..was'nt she a dancer at that club they shut down?
ie

believe me know one could ever duplicate the pie from Hess's and I can tell you have never had a piece of the original pie or you would not have said look on the internet because know one could come close, I know I've worked at Hess's for a very long time
whatever

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Mike from Pennsburg wrote:
In 1962 whil I was working in a fast food restaurant on Union Boulevard (Buddy's Beefburgers) I read a food trade magazine that the manager had gotten and there was an article on Hess's Strawberry Pie. It stated how the strawberries were flown in each day to the ABE Airport so they were as fresh as could be etc. In that article they published the recipe. I had kept it but I have not seen it in my shoebox of recipes lately so I believe it was mistakenly discarded.
If I knew then what a treasure it would be I would have laminated it.
that is true, everyday from california
Ugh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

bonzo wrote:
---
Yeah, two stories about this within a week, probably a total of 4 in the last few months. I know there have to be more things going on in the valley than this, but what do I know about news, i don't run a successful award winning newspaper. Here's a suggestion, I think the Morning call and it's loyal followers should lobby the Lehigh and Northampton County Council to create a Strawberry Pie recipe card and restaurant guide that features Pizza Snobz and e-mail it to all residents of the Valley, all tax payer funded of course.
MightyRFallen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

bonzo wrote:
Next issue:
Deep fried Hess's Strawberry Pie.
Yum.
Knowledge

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2009

Lenny Brisco wrote:
<quoted text>OH screw you with this country suffering from OBESITY, I suppose you have a body like a pro fullback, yea right!!! So is Russia, so is Italy, even Japan and China are getting OBESE, The whole world is. These were good times in our lives so a strawberry pie will not make a sh*T bit of difference!! Have a good day
Spoken by a person who probably can't see his d*$k when he looks downward. Fat AAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pies Discussions

Search the Pies Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Kentucky silk pie (Dec '08) Jul 5 Tamara 7
President Obama jokes about WH pastry chef putt... Jul 2 reality is a crutch 1
Sag Harbora s George Hirsch Just Wants Food Don... Jun '14 Ryuuk 1
South of Chicago heads north of Indianapolis Mar '14 Interesting 1
Marie Callender pie recall (Aug '07) Mar '14 Diana 18
Pie Five Pizza Co. is Kansas City bound (Apr '13) Jan '14 treschic 4
AppleJack Festival this weekend (Sep '13) Jan '14 John Marteny 5
•••
•••