Frozen pizza almost as good as real thing

Full story: Lowell Sun 21
Sure, it's convenient -- and cheaper than a pizzeria. But can frozen pizza truly satisfy anyone other than undiscriminating kids? In other words, you? Yes, according to Consumer Reports' latest taste test of 16 frozen cheese pies. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tony

Tewksbury, MA

#1 Dec 24, 2010
I guess the CR testers only eat Domino's or Pizza Hut. LOL
swallow and purge

East Hampton, CT

#2 Dec 24, 2010
Something needs to be done about Americans eating so much pizza. It's junk food.
LTB

Wilmington, MA

#3 Dec 24, 2010
I havent had a good pizza since I moved to Lowell 20 years ago. Frozen cant be any worse
Try Brothers

Kladno, Czech Republic

#4 Dec 25, 2010
LTB wrote:
I havent had a good pizza since I moved to Lowell 20 years ago. Frozen cant be any worse
Have you tried "Brothers" (I believe that's the name?) just across the Chelms. line into lowell across the street from the McDonalds at Drum Hill.
Last time I was back about 10 years ago they were still there, a classic thick crust pizza in the Greek tradition.
Great hot grinders as well.
Dracut Mom

Lowell, MA

#5 Dec 25, 2010
Corner Deli in Pelham NH its inside Mobil Gas station is the best pizza... i won't go anywhere else .....

great pizza and subs and fries everything is good there and good prices
KAH

AOL

#6 Dec 26, 2010
English muffin pizzas! Healthy pizzas..whole wheat muffins, low sodium sauce and park-skim mozz cheese and grilled veggies...I haven't had any kind for over 10 yrs..just reading the back of the frozen ones enough to scare me...lol
pizza purge

East Hampton, CT

#7 Dec 26, 2010
Anywhere you go it's still flour with tomatoes and cheese. Eaten so often during the week and at schools that it amounts to junk food. Makes people FAT!

“Watch out for my shivs”

Since: Feb 09

Do troll busters become trolls

#8 Dec 26, 2010
LTB wrote:
You don't like Papa Gino's?
Well, Mr. Picky Pants, what's the best pizza you've ever had?
BTW. Market Basket has this new thin crust pizza..
It's a light German pizza for $3, Called Doeckters or something like that. My favorite is the veggie: which has little grape tomatoes on it.

“Do I care? NO!”

Since: Jan 08

Lowell, MA

#9 Dec 26, 2010
Try Brothers wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you tried "Brothers" (I believe that's the name?) just across the Chelms. line into lowell across the street from the McDonalds at Drum Hill.
Last time I was back about 10 years ago they were still there, a classic thick crust pizza in the Greek tradition.
Great hot grinders as well.
I thought that was highlands pizza. I could be wrong. But their pizza isn't bad. I like brothers pizza but the one i had was in andover. As for frozen pizza digiorno isn't that bad.
Barney Fife

Hampton, NH

#10 Dec 26, 2010
Can anyone explain to me what the big deal is about Tony&Anns pizza? I had it a few weeks ago for the first time in my life.It's like having a bowl of cheese soup.
LTB

Wilmington, MA

#11 Dec 26, 2010
CatmomDu wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like Papa Gino's?
Well, Mr. Picky Pants, what's the best pizza you've ever had?
BTW. Market Basket has this new thin crust pizza..
It's a light German pizza for $3, Called Doeckters or something like that. My favorite is the veggie: which has little grape tomatoes on it.
I was referring to the local pizzerias, not the chains. One odd thing I noticed right away when I moved here was that people raved about certain places, and I thought they were awful.

“Watch out for my shivs”

Since: Feb 09

Do troll busters become trolls

#12 Dec 26, 2010
LTB wrote:
<quoted text>
I was referring to the local pizzerias, not the chains. One odd thing I noticed right away when I moved here was that people raved about certain places, and I thought they were awful.
Good gawd.. what are you doing in Wilmington?
You may as well ski of ski-doo home now!
On local non-chain we found is "Parkside Roast Beef" up Mammoth Road on the right, a little way from the Boulevard, right next to that thrift shop.
Very light, good pizza, and the price is good too.
Someone mentioned "Tony & Ann's". From what I understand, you may as well slop tomato soup on dough.
People either love it or hate it.
I think I'd hate it.
Tony

Tewksbury, MA

#13 Dec 27, 2010
Mangia Mangia in Billerica center for local is excellent.
If you want to go further out try Santarpia's on Rte.1 in Peabody. Caveat: there is a long wait.
Basically pizza can be healthy depending on what and how much you put on it. You shouldn't be eating much of any of the same thing all the time anyways. It's boring and you're missing out on all the variety of foods available to you could be having instead.
Riiiiight

North Chelmsford, MA

#14 Dec 27, 2010
Barney Fife wrote:
Can anyone explain to me what the big deal is about Tony&Anns pizza? I had it a few weeks ago for the first time in my life.It's like having a bowl of cheese soup.
Lisa's Sweet Pizza from "Pizza Depot" in Dracut & Pepperill is WAY better than Tony & Ann's! Also, if you haven't tried DiGiorno from the Supermarket you need too, it is by far the best frozen pizza I've had yet!
JML

Lexington, MA

#15 Dec 27, 2010
Tony and Ann's worse pizza I ever had. Way too sweet and sloppy.
Jim

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Dec 27, 2010
With pizza prices going the way of gasoline prices, frozen pizzza is the best way to go.

“Yes I am”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#17 Jan 13, 2011
I can't believe anybody eats that stuff. Homemade is the only way to go!
you wanna piz za me

Westfield, MA

#18 Feb 25, 2011
i tried a new frozen pizza at Whole Foods, called Zanto, and get this its made by a Massachusetts company. The guys that make the pizzas were in the store giving out samples. Could not believe it, great bunch of guys and if you try the pizza you wont believe it came frozen.
Beach Pizza

Summersville, WV

#19 Feb 28, 2011
Any one of the vendors at Hampton or Salisbury.
I know the pizza sux but always tastes good to me.
Must be the sea air.
homemade rules

Lowell, MA

#20 Mar 2, 2011
I agree with the homemade. Get a pizza stone, some good dough and make it yourself at home. A lot of grocery stores are carrying different kinds of doughs, including multi-grain, whole wheat, white, spent grain (brewery) white, garlic and herb... Nothing better than a homemade za on a Friday night!

Other than that, Family Pizza in Dracut, and Espressos in both Nashua and Lowell. Different Espressos but both have amazing pies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Full holiday menu for Obamas, plus 6 pies Nov 30 ICE 34
Full holiday menu for Obamas, plus 6 pies Nov 27 Hooogle It 1
Life of pie (Feb '08) Nov '14 almadenmike 9
An Apple A Day (And Other Fall Flavors) At Leis... Oct '14 American Gentlema... 1
12 New Places to Try for Your Next Great Pizza ... Sep '14 pizza 1
Kentucky silk pie (Dec '08) Jul '14 Tamara 7
President Obama jokes about WH pastry chef putt... Jul '14 reality is a crutch 1
More from around the web