Domino's boldly admits its pizza was ...

Domino's boldly admits its pizza was awful | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 48 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 12, 2010, titled Domino's boldly admits its pizza was awful | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

For a pizza joint, it's a bold move to tell customers your crust tasted like cardboard and your sauce was like ketchup.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Chung Lee

Hilliard, OH

#1 Jan 12, 2010
Now maybe Donato go back to it old recipe when it not factory pizza.
jbizzle

Loveland, OH

#2 Jan 12, 2010
it still tastes like cardboard
Sheridan Whiteside

Carlsbad, CA

#3 Jan 12, 2010
"We've been shoveling you crap for years and now we want you to trust us". This is exactly what they are saying.

They're also saying they are the last to know what good pizza is and it took them this long to realize it. This is a severely retarded ad campaign and will make them the laughingstock of the pizza industry. Who would even think of buying a product the management has admitted is no good?

Since: Dec 09

Columbus, OH

#4 Jan 12, 2010
The previous pizza wasn't that great. It lacked flavor. The new recipe is better.

I think its great they admitted their mistake. I wish more companies would be as honest.
Big Hank

Cleveland, OH

#5 Jan 12, 2010
Grew up in Chicago - Domino's and Pizza Hut were the worst pizza you could possibly find there. Had a Pizza Hut built a block from my home when I was a kid, and we ate it exactly once. All of these chains lose quality for quantity.

Sad thing is, there were enough drunk and stupid people that bought Domino's, since they delivered and the only other option when the bars closed was White Castle (consumption after 8 pm is hazardous to your health). The owner of Domino's made enough money to buy the Detroit Tigers. So - truly, who is anyone to doubt his marketing strategy?
Steve

United States

#6 Jan 12, 2010
Local pies are the best. Skip the chains and find your favorite. Props to Primo (formerly Clintonville Pizza), Planks, Martino's and Late Night Slice!
Message board troll

Blacklick, OH

#7 Jan 12, 2010
Was awful? Have they stopped making pizzas?
Just Say No

Milford, CT

#8 Jan 12, 2010
Big Hank wrote:
Grew up in Chicago - Domino's and Pizza Hut were the worst pizza you could possibly find there. Had a Pizza Hut built a block from my home when I was a kid, and we ate it exactly once. All of these chains lose quality for quantity.
Sad thing is, there were enough drunk and stupid people that bought Domino's, since they delivered and the only other option when the bars closed was White Castle (consumption after 8 pm is hazardous to your health). The owner of Domino's made enough money to buy the Detroit Tigers. So - truly, who is anyone to doubt his marketing strategy?
Well said, Big Hank. Well said.

The Domino's in my neighborhood failed after 2 floundering years in business, due to community support of our local non-chain restaurants.
outsider

Zanesville, OH

#9 Jan 12, 2010
It's all about marketing. Nice ploy.
BucksR1

Columbus, OH

#10 Jan 12, 2010
Message board troll wrote:
Was awful? Have they stopped making pizzas?
It's questionable that they ever made "pizzas".
Whatever

Columbus, OH

#11 Jan 12, 2010
Sheridan Whiteside wrote:
"We've been shoveling you crap for years and now we want you to trust us". This is exactly what they are saying.
They're also saying they are the last to know what good pizza is and it took them this long to realize it. This is a severely retarded ad campaign and will make them the laughingstock of the pizza industry. Who would even think of buying a product the management has admitted is no good?
I totally agree. I don't think anyone is going to give them bonus points for being honest about the fact that they were putting out a dreadful product. Either they knew it and are therefore untrustworthy, or they didn't know it which means they are idiots. Once an idiot, always an idiot in my book.

I won't ever order another pizza from them again. I don't care how much they plead or how cheap they make it.
Janice

Columbus, OH

#12 Jan 12, 2010
The best pizza in town is Frankies pizza on Stygler Rd in Gahanna...Not sure if that is how you spell Frankies but you get the message.

I rank Domino's right up there with Donatos - cardboard with ketchup

Since: Nov 09

Delaware, OH

#13 Jan 12, 2010
Steve wrote:
Local pies are the best. Skip the chains and find your favorite. Props to Primo (formerly Clintonville Pizza), Planks, Martino's and Late Night Slice!
YES to Martinos
Shack01

Monroeville, PA

#14 Jan 12, 2010
Capuanos Pizza in Pataskala has the formula right - cash only, no delivery, you have to wait at least an hour for a pie most nights, but they are THE busiest little business in Central Ohio. There is frequently a line out the door, and people keep going back time and time again. Guess why?! An incredibly delicious, consistent product. What a novel idea!
Big Hank

Cleveland, OH

#15 Jan 12, 2010
After reading through the comments, it becomes abundantly clear: Everyone will have their individual favorite(s). And being that these ARE food products, all may have their faves picked correctly, acccording to their taste buds. It is also clear that the chain stores have lost favor, more now than ever. Everyone will have a favorite. And by all means, if any of you get up to Chicago, and you consider yourself a "pizza buff", you have GOT to make a visit to Lou Malnati's and have a deep dish pie. There are several locations, but I believe the original one, if still open, is very near O'Hare Airport, on Higgins Rd./Route 72. Anyone who could eat more than 2-3 slices of that pie is a serious eater, and it would allow you to say you had visited pizza heaven. But - keep the local recommendations going! I wanna try them all!!!

Happy New Year to all. Except of course, the pizza chains - your business is dropping the more that comments are made......
Heritage

Cardington, OH

#16 Jan 12, 2010
Columbus is lucky that it has plenty of mom-and-pop pizza joints to choose from. I have been in places like Florida where the only pizza places were the big chains like Domino's.
B Wildered

Milford, CT

#17 Jan 12, 2010
Heritage wrote:
Columbus is lucky that it has plenty of mom-and-pop pizza joints to choose from. I have been in places like Florida where the only pizza places were the big chains like Domino's.
The horror!
James

Columbus, OH

#18 Jan 12, 2010
I agree Domino's was awful and still is. Donato's is terrible also. If you do find a decent pizza in Cols they are never consistant. Jet's is a new chain that is pretty good but the best pizza is Giordano's of Chicago. They are also in Orlando. Deep dish and better than their main competitor Lou Malnati's.
James

Columbus, OH

#19 Jan 12, 2010
Also there is a place on SR 23 south of Delaware called Lillman's that has dynamite pizza.

Since: Jan 10

Columbus, OH

#20 Jan 12, 2010
Shack01 wrote:
Capuanos Pizza in Pataskala has the formula right - cash only, no delivery, you have to wait at least an hour for a pie most nights, but they are THE busiest little business in Central Ohio. There is frequently a line out the door, and people keep going back time and time again. Guess why?! An incredibly delicious, consistent product. What a novel idea!
I agree 100% Cap's is the best pizza I have ever eaten

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News HESS RECIPES: Hess's Strawberry Pie Recipes (Jun '09) Mar '16 Ex Hess Patio Baker 4
News Food Fight: Aretha Franklin Is Launching a Line... Feb '16 Seflerinmutfagi 1
News January 14 Vallejo A&E Source Restaurant Review... Jan '16 deliciousdessert 2
News HemetHEMET: Popular Marie Callender's restauran... Jan '16 Law abiding citizen 3
News Beyond Pumpkin: Westchester Bakeries Feature Va... Nov '15 Elise In Greenville 1
News Sweet potato pies go hot off Walmart shelves Nov '15 Elise In Greenville 1
News Five to try: El Paso area pizza restaurants (Jul '15) Aug '15 Elise Gingerich 7
More from around the web