In China, organic food is fare for elite

In China, organic food is fare for elite

There are 21 comments on the NWAonline story from Sep 25, 2011, titled In China, organic food is fare for elite. In it, NWAonline reports that:

Vegetables are grown behind the fence of the customs farm in Beijing, China. "It is for officials only.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NWAonline.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SpngeBob

Mississauga, Canada

#1 Sep 25, 2011
Ordinary people of China???? Foreget it, Buddies. You must get quite used to...tainted milks, artificial chicken eggs, plastic rices and huge, over-fertilizer induced fruits...BY NOW! Ehem!
TRUTH BE TOLD

New York, NY

#2 Sep 25, 2011
Zipperhead

lol
USA borrows 43000 asecond

Vancouver, Canada

#3 Sep 25, 2011
The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Skip to main page content
HOME
CURRENT ISSUE
EMAIL ALERTS
ARCHIVES
SUBSCRIPTIONS
SEARCH FOR ARTICLES
CUSTOM PUBLICATION FAQ

Search AJCNSubmit

Advanced Search

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 87, No. 5, 1107-1117, May 2008

PERSPECTIVE

Does social class predict diet quality?1,2

ABSTRACT

A large body of epidemiologic data show that diet quality follows a socioeconomic gradient. Whereas higher-quality diets are associated with greater affluence, energy-dense diets that are nutrient-poor are preferentially consumed by persons of lower socioeconomic status (SES) and of more limited economic means. As this review demonstrates, whole grains, lean meats, fish, low-fat dairy products, and fresh vegetables and fruit are more likely to be consumed by groups of higher SES. In contrast, the consumption of refined grains and added fats has been associated with lower SES. Although micronutrient intake and, hence, diet quality are affected by SES, little evidence indicates that SES affects either total energy intakes or the macronutrient composition of the diet. The observed associations between SES variables and diet-quality measures can be explained by a variety of potentially causal mechanisms. The disparity in energy costs ($/MJ) between energy-dense and nutrient-dense foods is one such mechanism; easy physical access to low-cost energy-dense foods is another. If higher SES is a causal determinant of diet quality, then the reported associations between diet quality and better health, found in so many epidemiologic studies, may have been confounded by unobserved indexes of social class. Conversely, if limited economic resources are causally linked to low-quality diets, some current strategies for health promotion, based on recommending high-cost foods to low-income people, may prove to be wholly ineffective. Exploring the possible causal relations between SES and diet quality is the purpose of this review.

INTRODUCTION

Morbidity and mortality rates in industrialized societies follow a socioeconomic gradient (1–3). The more disadvantaged groups suffer from higher rates of obesity (4–6), diabetes (7, 8), cardiovascular disease (9), osteoporosis (10, 11), dental caries (12), and some forms of cancer (13). All of these diseases have a direct link to nutrition and diet (14). It has been suggested, more than once, that dietary factors may help explain some of the observed social inequities in health (15, 16). The more affluent population subgroups are not only healthier and thinner, but they also consume higher-quality diets than do the poor (17).

http://www.ajcn.org/content/87/5/1107.full

Vancouver, Canada

#4 Sep 25, 2011
Oct 07, 2010 - 8:20 AM

Prue takes on week-long welfare diet

Ontario MPPs invited to participate, few do

Prue takes on week-long welfare diet. Beaches-East York MPP Michael Prue with the remaining items from his food bank basket on Day 3 of his Do the Math Challenge. Photo/COURTESY

"I don't blame the food banks. They give out what they get." - MPP Michael Prue

Ontario food bank usage by the numbers:

- 375,000 Ontarians use food banks and usage is up by 19 per cent over last year;

- 40 per cent of Ontario food bank users are children;

- children regularly do not eat breakfast at least once a week in 25.1 per cent of households that have turned to food banks.

info courtesy putfoodinthebudget.ca

Beaches-East York MPP Michael Prue munched on a peanut butter sandwich for lunch Tuesday, Oct. 5 as the majority of his colleagues in the Ontario Legislature dug into a scrumptious turkey dinner with all the fixings.
The local Member of Provincial Parliament is taking part in a week-long welfare diet called the Do the Math Challenge. From Oct. 3 to 9 Prue will only eat what a single adult would receive in a typical food bank hamper.

The items in his basket of goods include: a loaf of bread, two boxes of macaroni and cheese, a small jar of peanut butter, a cup of rice, a medium potato, a small onion, a can of mixed vegetables, a can of pork and beans, a can of tuna, seven tea bags, a can of pineapple tidbits, two cans of mushroom soup, three drink boxes of apple juice, three oatmeal-to-go bars, three single-serving packs of instant oatmeal and a litre of milk.

"It's what the food bank gives out to a single person looking for food and what it is is a lot of starch," Prue said, adding the majority of underhoused or homeless people don't have access to refrigerators so canned goods are their only option.

"I don't blame the food banks. They give out what they get."

Despite the best efforts of food banks and other social service organizations Prue said the consequence of eating a high-carb diet with very little fresh fruit, vegetables, meat or dairy products is serious health problems, which can lead to expensive and needless hospital stays.

Vancouver, Canada

#6 Sep 25, 2011
^ now I know why spongebob is such a racist...

the average Chinese person has more than 548 bucks in their pocket change...

Vancouver, Canada

#7 Sep 25, 2011
I should clarify

the average "Chinese Canadian" person has more than 548 bucks in their pocket change...

the average Chinese person makes that much a month too...

but has a better life...LOL
Mirolyuba

Delta, Canada

#8 Sep 26, 2011
Safe, healthy food for the Chinese Communist Party gang.

Filth dredged from sewers for the Chinese people to eat.

Just another day in the CCP China slave-state.
Mirolyuba

Delta, Canada

#9 Sep 27, 2011
USA borrows 43000 asecond wrote:
I should clarify
the average "Chinese Canadian" person has more than 548 bucks in their pocket change...
the average Chinese person makes that much a month too...
but has a better life...LOL
...because they are CCP slaves living in poverty?

Man, what heads full of shiht these blind, stupid apologists for the CCP dictators have!
paul SHYKORA arts

Calgary, Canada

#10 Sep 27, 2011
SpngeBob wrote:
Ordinary people of China???? Foreget it, Buddies. You must get quite used to...tainted milks, artificial chicken eggs, plastic rices and huge, over-fertilizer induced fruits...BY NOW! Ehem!
...MOST SHOCKing,here...eh..
yep

Stoney Creek, Canada

#11 Sep 27, 2011
That's why most of the chinese want to leave China.
Mirolyuba

Delta, Canada

#12 Sep 27, 2011
Safe, healthy food for the Chinese Communist Party gang.

Filth dredged from sewers for the Chinese people to eat.

Just another day in the CCP China slave-state.
CCPareMASSMURDER ERS

Canada

#14 Jun 19, 2012
Special, safe, imported food FREE for CCP criminals!

While the Chinese people are poisoned with crap the CCP makes money off of!

That's the way it is in China.
Say no to GMOs

Emmaus, PA

#16 Aug 16, 2012
Organic food is fare for the elite? Will happen everywhere one day, in fact it already has. Also, Monsanto has been experimenting with food for years; genetically manipulating everything they can. Just try to find a watermelon with black seeds; you know, the kind that you'd normally find in the supermarkets. China's population is enormous and still growing, although they are limited to how many children they now may have. All of these people are leaving their countries and coming to the U.S, and will over populate here also. Can't imagine what the U.S will be like in years to come or what we will be faced with.

I would have loved to have grown my own organic garden. Unfortunately, I live near the base of a mountain and there is run-off from all of the homes and businesses in the area. That means the soil is contaminated from treated lawns and other toxic chemicals. So many unsightly billboards in my locale, and little open space left. The poor birds have little place to go. You can see them all sitting on top of the cable wires and billboards. They also hang out in our yards. I like birds, but it seems that so many have flocked to our neighborhood in the last few years. Unfortunately their droppings are a problem, particularly the pigeons. Which is another reason I can't grow a garden. The neighbor in back of me has at least 9 feeders in his small yard and his wife throw out pieces of bread that are too large for the birds to carry so they end up dropping them all over my yard.
I can read

Edinburgh, UK

#17 Aug 16, 2012
Say no to GMOs wrote:
Organic food is fare for the elite? Will happen everywhere one day, in fact it already has. Also, Monsanto has been experimenting with food for years; genetically manipulating everything they can. Just try to find a watermelon with black seeds; you know, the kind that you'd normally find in the supermarkets. China's population is enormous and still growing, although they are limited to how many children they now may have. All of these people are leaving their countries and coming to the U.S, and will over populate here also. Can't imagine what the U.S will be like in years to come or what we will be faced with.
I would have loved to have grown my own organic garden. Unfortunately, I live near the base of a mountain and there is run-off from all of the homes and businesses in the area. That means the soil is contaminated from treated lawns and other toxic chemicals. So many unsightly billboards in my locale, and little open space left. The poor birds have little place to go. You can see them all sitting on top of the cable wires and billboards. They also hang out in our yards. I like birds, but it seems that so many have flocked to our neighborhood in the last few years. Unfortunately their droppings are a problem, particularly the pigeons. Which is another reason I can't grow a garden. The neighbor in back of me has at least 9 feeders in his small yard and his wife throw out pieces of bread that are too large for the birds to carry so they end up dropping them all over my yard.
Ever eaten a carrot that was orange coloured? Those are genetically modified. Natural carrots are blue.

Over thousands of years we have been genetically modifying our food through splicing and selective breeding.

Quite simply, there are very few foodstuffs on earth which aren't genetically modified.

If you really want to throw away 5,000 years of agricultural science, go ahead. Just don't expect to be respected for it.
SUKYU PREEDOP

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Aug 16, 2012
Is that why China is a Superpower while you are totally 3rd world?

A-JAJAJAJAJAJAJJAJJAJAJAJAJAAA JAAA
uIDIOTRACESMAKEW ORLDPEACE

United States

#19 Aug 16, 2012
Come on look at US backyard, High Fructose Syrup, Aspartame, Mecury... are slowing causing cancers , and is posion to human system
WTF

Marietta, GA

#20 Oct 13, 2012
Where in the world is topix getting its sources? And why must we be stereotypical Western bigots?

Organic food is totally prevalent in China. In fact, there are farmers' markets outside of most subdivisions (whether dirt road city or central Beijing). The produce in stores are far from "tainted milks, artificial chicken eggs, plastic rices and huge, over-fertilizer induced fruits." I have seen no difference in China's produce compared to US's.

I concede, China does have a history of slips in food-safety, many of which were terribly devastating. Nevertheless, healthy, and sometimes organic, produce is far from being scarce in China.
I can confidently say that most Chinese grocery stores are healthier than their counterparts in the US.
WTF

Marietta, GA

#21 Oct 13, 2012
I suppose the more accurate way to interpret this article is
"Chinese officials enjoy the perk of having a private organic farm."
WTF

Marietta, GA

#22 Oct 13, 2012
And honey, look at the original article in NWA. You call that an 8-ft spike fence?
And no wonder non-officials can't go there; does U.S. allow citizens to enter Obama's living room on whim?
Dan m

Bangkok, Thailand

#23 Oct 13, 2012
Undermine by media on foods is very. Vicious in this planet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Organic Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Organic milk with strange smell (Jan '10) Feb 20 rainonmeincalifornia 11
Best online stores for organic foods (Feb '12) Feb 9 Organic 26
organic products Feb 9 dada 7
Raw Organic Coconut Oil & its amazing healing a... Feb 8 Healthfood 2
Organic skin care products, can you help? (Sep '11) Feb 8 Healthfood 55
Aspiring Organic Farmer Could WIN Bluebird Hill... Jan 31 blueplate 1
organic food in india (Oct '12) Jan 31 Dinesh 7
More from around the web