pectin derived from organic fruit?

Posted in the Organic Food Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ashley

Dallas, TX

#1 Sep 7, 2007
I'm wondering if there is such a thing as organic fruit pectin? Since pectin is derived from fruit, is there a brand that derives it from primarily organic fruit? I'm planning to open an organic bakery, and I make a mean black forest cake, but the filling calls for fruit pectin, and I'm wondering if it's possible to buy this organic?
Marc

Piscataway, NJ

#2 Jul 27, 2008
Did you ever find the Organic Pectin you were looking for?
Libby

Bartlesville, OK

#3 Jan 27, 2009
I have a jam & jelly business and I'm also looking for organic fruit pectin. Did anyone find a source for it? Thanks
Peter Turley

Ferny Creek, Australia

#4 May 7, 2009
Libby wrote:
I have a jam & jelly business and I'm also looking for organic fruit pectin. Did anyone find a source for it? Thanks
I am also looking for organic pectin and would appreciate any leads if you had success.
Gayle Thorpe

Buffalo, NY

#5 Jun 6, 2009
Along with Peter Turley and Libby, I am looking for organic pectin to use in an organic jam business. Which kinds of pectin are used in freezer jams and regular cooked jams?
shawn

Titusville, FL

#6 Aug 2, 2009
again with all lookin i am also looking and wonderin if pectin is organic or can get organic
ulfsark

Wayne, NJ

#7 Sep 13, 2009
Wow, 2 years and NO one answered this question? YES, there are organic pectins available.... I'm also looking for it, using google, that's how i came here.

http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info.ph... This place sells it for about 27 bucks a POUND. That seems like a good deal to me.
OrganicGal

Whitehall, WI

#8 Oct 17, 2009
Thank you for the new source for organics! However,Natures Flavors pectin is NOT organic, it is vegan and kosher. Looks like someone could possibly start a new business?:)
MARY

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Nov 19, 2009
has anyone found organic pectin?
JAM MAN 2010

Hopkins, MN

#10 Jan 13, 2010
ORGANIC PECTIN WILL BE VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO PRODUCED BASED ON THE NATIONAL ORGANIC PRODUCTS APPROVED LIST OF INGREDIENTS. THE MANUFACTURING OF PECTIN IS QUITE RIGOROUS EVEN WITHOUT THIS SELF LIMITING LAWS ESTABLISHED BY THE NOP. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS LOW YIELD FROM THE PEELS OF CITRUS OR APPLES, AND THE INABILITY TO CONTROL ESTERIFICATION FROM THE FRUIT W/O THE USE OF CERTAIN PROCESSING COMPOUNDS/INGREDIENTS. THE ONLY COMPANY THAT HAD ENTERTAINED THE IDEA WAS OBIPEKTIN, A SWISS COMPANY.
Claudine

Livermore, CA

#11 Sep 6, 2010
This is where to buy your organic pectin.

http://www.holisherb.com/servlet/the-445/Appl...
Christine

Monterey, CA

#12 Apr 19, 2011
the site mentioned above is not selling organic pectin. i tried to get an organic certificate from them and they could not produce one.
Stacia Moffett

Pullman, WA

#13 Apr 19, 2011
Seems that the only way to have organic pectin is to start with an organic product that has high-pectin content intrinsically, such as crab apples. You can do combinations, such as crab apple with currant or blackberries, but the major producers of fruit pectin are owned by Kraft, and they would not give me the time of day when I needed a form signed certifying that sewage sludge and GMO's were not used in the manufacturing process!
Grandma Tonawanda NY

North Tonawanda, NY

#14 Jul 21, 2011
I have been searching for organic pectin for a long time and now I have some answers. How is certified organic jam in the stores made if there is no organic pectin? Has anyone made the jam that is in the previous post that is starting with a high pectin organic product? My certified (with the seal on the jar) organic strawberry jam lists in the ingredients "natural fruit pectin" not organic fruit pectin.
Cassandra

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Jul 23, 2011
Grandma Tonawanda NY wrote:
I have been searching for organic pectin for a long time and now I have some answers. How is certified organic jam in the stores made if there is no organic pectin? Has anyone made the jam that is in the previous post that is starting with a high pectin organic product? My certified (with the seal on the jar) organic strawberry jam lists in the ingredients "natural fruit pectin" not organic fruit pectin.

Certified organic product need only to be made from 95% organic ingredients. Therefore, organic jams and jellies may not use organic pectin. I find solace in the fact that all pectin comes from fruit and there are no genetically modified fruits and the pesticides used should be pulverated into oblivion once the final product (pectin) is done.
Grandma Tonawanda Ny

North Tonawanda, NY

#16 Jul 23, 2011
Cassandra wrote:
<quoted text>
Certified organic product need only to be made from 95% organic ingredients. Therefore, organic jams and jellies may not use organic pectin. I find solace in the fact that all pectin comes from fruit and there are no genetically modified fruits and the pesticides used should be pulverated into oblivion once the final product (pectin) is done.
Thank you so much Cassandra!
With the information in your post I feel much better about using pectin for my jams!
STS

Ashland, VA

#17 Aug 14, 2011
There are many recipes online for making your own pectin (to use in canning)- looks simple enough at most of the recipes I've read look to be about the same process. To make it organic would be to use organic fruits when preparing your pectin. My google search was "How to make pectin"
Grandma Tonawanda NY

North Tonawanda, NY

#18 Aug 14, 2011
STS wrote:
There are many recipes online for making your own pectin (to use in canning)- looks simple enough at most of the recipes I've read look to be about the same process. To make it organic would be to use organic fruits when preparing your pectin. My google search was "How to make pectin"
This is helpful information, Thank you so much!
silvana

Osimo, Italy

#19 Nov 4, 2011
I've a little farm in Italy, we produce organic fruits and organic jams. I have been searching for organic pectin for a long time too, but no results by now. I tried to produce it by myself with apples but it's hard to do a good quantity of pectin and the main problem is that apple harvest is in october-september and I always do my jams in springs-summer (strawberries-cherries-apricot s-peaches...)
By now I use Vegan Konfitura (it's a german product). I buy it in an organic german (on line) shop but it does not contain organic pectin...
Grandma Tonawanda NY

North Tonawanda, NY

#20 Nov 11, 2011
silvana wrote:
I've a little farm in Italy, we produce organic fruits and organic jams. I have been searching for organic pectin for a long time too, but no results by now. I tried to produce it by myself with apples but it's hard to do a good quantity of pectin and the main problem is that apple harvest is in october-september and I always do my jams in springs-summer (strawberries-cherries-apricot s-peaches...)
By now I use Vegan Konfitura (it's a german product). I buy it in an organic german (on line) shop but it does not contain organic pectin...
Silvana,
Thank you so much for your post. You have been very helpful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Organic Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm looking to live an organic lifestyle (Aug '13) Tue kimnlogan 19
High-Fructose Corn Syrup (Aug '13) Sep 27 weissb 4
...PLANT..Native..garden... Sep 24 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
Organic Protein Supplements and hungry a colleg... Sep 23 jayzippy 1
solution to loose weight Sep 23 Micro86ma 1
Harvest Farms Organic? Who are they? (Apr '08) Sep 17 Concernedconsumer 104
Organic Mattress Sep 16 gaslight1986 1

Organic Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE