Rubistar

Boston, MA

#24 Jan 10, 2011
Mom to a 5yo veg wrote:
Let's take a deep breath for a second and step away from the fear. Yes it has the word nitrite in it, however thiamine mononitrite (vitamin B1) is actually an important part of our diets and getting too little of it is BAD for you. No we probably shouldn't over-do it, but it is fine, actually good, in moderation. Obviously if you are sensitive to nitrites then yes you should avoid it, otherwise don't, your body needs it.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-b1...
I think you're missing the point! It's not that we shouldn't take B1, but we should take B1 from a natural source like a vegetable or a fruit NOT a chemical! The source of what we put in our bodies is what's the issue in the world today. Everything says "loaded with the vitamins & nutrients that your body needs". Yeah...but! it's actually synthetic, fake, a chemical...and therefore the body doesn't respond to it as it would to a whole food.
Lynn

Utica, MI

#25 Mar 10, 2011
I agree that we need vitamins. We should not overdo anything; hence everything in moderation. But I don't believe that our food should have added vitamins ~ the food itself should naturally contain vitamins, if it doesn't, then it isn't that good for you. Why add vitamins to oatmeal, breads, etc. Simply eat them [vitamins]fresh and naturally through fruits and vegetables! Period. The rest is processed garbage food labeled as good for you ~ instant oatmeal for example... junk!
SMDLM

East Greenwich, RI

#26 May 18, 2011
thiamine mononitrate is totally an unnecessary form of thiamine. Sure, very low doses of nitrites and nitrosamines just once are probably harmless. But, as a steady diet over years and in many foods, including baby formula? This is dangerous. Nitrosamine exposures are linked to diabetes, neurodegeneration, obesity, all the bad stuff that's killing us today. Remember this, low low doses over and over = high doses and both forms of intake are bad. Read those labels and tell your friends.
gctf

United States

#27 May 23, 2011
Anyone ever hear of thiamine hydrochloride, a supplement that was used up until a couple of years ago when the powers that be decided that thiamine mononitrate was marginally better? Not a lot of people are allergic to HCL.
Ria

Canada

#28 Oct 23, 2011
Mom to a 5yo veg:

"Thiamine mononitrate is the synthetic form of vitamin B1. Although excess vitamin B1 is excreted from the body efficiently, the fat-soluble synthetic version may accumulate in the liver and other fatty tissues. Accumulation of any vitamin, including thiamine mononitrate, will eventually cause cellular toxicity and can lead to severe liver damage. Since thiamine mononitrate is stored in fat cells, simply stopping ingestion will not reverse the effects of chronic exposure to this synthetic vitamin. If you have any history of liver disease, you should be cautious in taking any supplements that contain thiamine mononitrate. Buying your vitamin B1 supplements from a reputable supplier may help you avoid the more dangerous form of vitamin B1, thiamine mononitrate."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/313249-the-...
Anna

Ladera Ranch, CA

#29 Dec 5, 2011
Strange how many people are paranoid of the stuff that's in food these days. Being vegan is NOT healthy because you NEED foods like meat so that you have more protein. People think that since soy has a small amount of protein in it, it is fine to replace meat with it, but that's dangerous because you will not get enough protein. Thiamine is Vitamin B1, and the thiamine mononitrate may be synthetic, but eating it is fine in moderation. Being paranoid and checking every single ingredients label will hurt you, not help you. Soon, you'll only be eating a select variety of fruits and vegetables because everything else is "unhealthy" because you don't know how to eat with moderation. It's fine to eat anything but stuff you're allergic to and poison. I would know, my father is a doctor, and I trust his medical opinion more than some vegan off the internet.
Steff

Douglasville, GA

#30 Jan 29, 2012
james wrote:
Worried mom cut out all GMO foods and go Organic. The food is has poison in it. I had the same problem. Do not have her drink water that has fluoride in it ck an see if you tap has it. Also its in the toothpastes. read on GMO in the food. Good luck. make sure she is not drinking clone milk, or cheese that has hormones.
I am sitting here reading the ingredients on some coffee cakes I brought from Costco. They include mono nitrates. Toooooo close to MSG, which is extremely bad for migraines. This ingredient would send me to the emergency room. I suffer from migraines. Guess I have to put down the coffee cakes.
Vita Ex Sulphur

Castro Valley, CA

#31 Mar 14, 2012
Veg makes Veggies!!

Quit feeding your child veg. It's not just the B12 angle and the fact that B9 ameliorates B12 deficiency for a while until it becomes irreversibel. Think of all the enzymes(!) you are depriving your child (and yourself). Think of the fact that proteins are a product of DNA, in fact that DNA sequences can be thought of as molds from which proteins are formed by combining amino acids. Protein is not protein and wheat proteins can not substitute for animal proteins. In fact there are all kinds of proteins, they are not there in the body just to supply calories. Proteins have all kinds of functions, some are enzymes that regulate/metabolize other substances, some have structural functions, etc.etc. You share the largest parts of your DNA with other animals, especially with beef, mutton and pork. These livestock mammals produce for the most part the same proteins that are produced in your tissues. If you only consume plant protein your body needs to disassemble these plant proteins into their constituent amino acids.

About Thiamin-Mononitrate .. I read a paper last night how it accumulates in liver fat. Stay away from this crap. Stay away from all bakery crap. I checked labels the other day there was Sodium Aluminum Phosphate and Sodium Aluminum Sulfate in all of that. Happy Alzheimers, suckers.
Huh

Dallas, TX

#32 Mar 20, 2012
Can anyone tell me if it is safe to eat foods with thiamine mononitrate in them if u have a nut allergy?
whytewaterlover

Waynesboro, VA

#33 May 3, 2012
I am currently studying for a post-doctoral degree in Nutrition at the U of Miami.
During the course of lectures many of the instructors have labeled nitrate, nitrites, nitrosamine, phosphates, phosphites, sulfates, sulfites all as carcinogens. That being said, I too am unable to locate references to substantiate this claim. Guess I'll start emailing some of them.
Any references out there?
ITT

Russellville, AR

#34 May 12, 2012
I am telling you, there are many of us out here that need to know about these things. I have to wonder who you represent . I am just beginning to discover the mystery behind 25 yearsof fatigue . Not being allergic to wheat, I couldnt figure out why cream of wheat was making me so ill, and grape juice, wow, it made no sense why after having just a few sips of it was ruining my evening. Then why having a one and a half hotdogs one night left my lungs completely unable to do anything more than minimally expand the next morning. My red blood cells having a severe reaction to the nitrites. These companies that are dumping this stuff in our foods without warnings are worse than the tobacco companies IMHO.
Mom to a 5yo veg wrote:
Oh yes you're right, I'll believe you and not the University of Maryland Medical Center lol. Sorry but you're wrong. Thiamine Mononitrate is vitamin B1, period. I'm sorry that's not the answer you are looking for but it's just a fact. If you are getting enough vitamin b from other sources then avoiding it is fine, but a lot of people and kids don't. Like everything, it should be used in moderation. Too much of ANY vitamin is not good for you. But when you start eliminating everything from your kids diet they may start lacking vital nutrients, and too many websites contain scare tactics and misinformation that make us afraid for no reason. Everyone chill and do some research before believing strangers on the internet. You'll be hard pressed to find actual studies showing Thiamine Mononitrates to be harmful. Yes mononitrates, including thiamine, break down into a very negligible amount of nitrosamines in your body. However you are likely to get more nitrosamines from putting on your makeup in the morning, or touching/using rubber or latex products, including bandaids or party balloons. Also if you eat cooked fish you probably get more nitrosamines than the slice of white bread you're afraid of your child eating. Remember in the 80's there was the big aspartame scare? How it could cause cancer because it breaks down into formaldehyde? Turns out that red meat actually breaks down into more formaldehyde then the aspartame could ever cause lol. Do you ever hear those stories anymore? Just do the best you can, but if you find out something your child eats has a scary name in it don't freak out. You'd be alarmed at how much of the same stuff we all use and eat every day no matter how hard we try. And some people are going to be more sensitive to some nutrients than others, so if someone has a reaction to aspartame or thiamine mononitrates I'm sure it's true. But I know plenty of people who have had similar reactions to perfect natural foods like WHEAT. Just because one person is sensitive to an ingredient doesn't mean we have to ban it. Just know your body and it will tell you when something is not agreeing with you. And if you're going to avoid vitamins please get them from other sources.
Marcia

Tacoma, WA

#35 May 15, 2012
I am intolerant to the nitrates in hot dogs and bacon; they give me a headache and nausea for usually a day. I wondered about thiamine mononitrate also, but it doesn't seem to affect me.
annoyedrandomrea der

United States

#36 May 25, 2012
Wow, you guys are fear mongers aren't you? You have to die one day guys, calm down, it is all natural.

First of all, Thiamine Mononitrate is not in everything but you find it in a lot of snack foods like pretzels and cheetos. It can be bad for people with liver problems or kidney disease as it is fat soluble which means it can cause urinary tract issues like kidney stones with kidney disease and fatty liver. That's probably the biggest concern you all have in this area. It is a bad product and alternative food additives need to be enforced for the public to ingest as it is a health concern. It should be illegal to put this in foods if it can cause liability to tax payers by putting people in the hospital and killing them as well. However, good grief guys, "Worried Mom", stop with the worrying. You are going to consume your body weight 1000x over in nitrates and Thiamine mononitrate before it kills you most likely. You are much more likely to die of the byproducts of radioactive fallout from Fukushima one day. Live your life, stop wasting your money, enjoy good food and if you have migranes you might consider a neurologist because it PROBABLY is something that a dietary change will not actually fix, and probably is too complicated for our pathetic drug company controlled medical industry to provide a solution for.

I am sorry, I know you prefer to be scared but fear is by far the worst thing you will ever face even when dieing. Fear is the worst torture any human will ever go through, no pain or suffering could match unless it were loss of someone you love. Knowing that, you have nothing to fear but fear itself. A very intelligent and great man once said that more or less, he was absolutely right.
Lynn

Jacksonville, FL

#37 Sep 27, 2012
What about nitritItes? I suffer from migraines too.
caregiver

Bend, OR

#38 Nov 4, 2012
My
uncle has bad headaches quit often for the past
2 years and never had them before.
He has had every test ther is and to no avail.
he has been on the migrane diet recomended from
Dr. bucholtz book.I don't think it is helping all
that much.Any ideas out there would be helpful.
Brasiliangirl

San Antonio, TX

#39 Nov 23, 2012
I just watched that movie The Beautiful Truth and started evaluating my fridge. I pride myself on being an organic consumer, but didnt realise that many products are not properly/honestly labeled. I looked up thiamin mononitrate and found this site, read your comment and related right away. I too lived in Louisville, KY for a short peroid. Try Kroger organic section for some stuff, farmers market and local farms. KY has some of the best local farms. Mennonites offer great fresh farm foods.

Good luck!
SMART MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
Please this is very much for everyone, but I am directly addressing worried mom Watch ASAP:
THE BEAUTIFUL TRUTH
THE GERSON MIRACLE
Both can be streamed instantly on netflix.com
You will be amazed at what you will learn, and discover about the food you consume, it just may save you life.
My family, and I have converted to vegan mostly (with fish once or twice a month) of course with the earth bleeding to death, and poisoning our oceans this will probably change!
Anyways we feel better, and have alot more energy, and my kids are happier!
I wish there was an organic food store in ELIZABETHTOWN, KY though it is difficult to get a verity of food with what these supermarkets offer around here
Brasiliangirl

San Antonio, TX

#40 Nov 23, 2012
Anna, you sound ignorant. Educate yourself then form an opinion. Hopefully, your dad isnt a quack! Just what we need, another Dr. Quack.
Anna wrote:
Strange how many people are paranoid of the stuff that's in food these days. Being vegan is NOT healthy because you NEED foods like meat so that you have more protein. People think that since soy has a small amount of protein in it, it is fine to replace meat with it, but that's dangerous because you will not get enough protein. Thiamine is Vitamin B1, and the thiamine mononitrate may be synthetic, but eating it is fine in moderation. Being paranoid and checking every single ingredients label will hurt you, not help you. Soon, you'll only be eating a select variety of fruits and vegetables because everything else is "unhealthy" because you don't know how to eat with moderation. It's fine to eat anything but stuff you're allergic to and poison. I would know, my father is a doctor, and I trust his medical opinion more than some vegan off the internet.
Cil

Windham, NH

#41 Feb 1, 2013
You can get you protein from vegetables, fruits, ligunes other things that came from the garden of Eden. Thats why people are so sick today from all these additives. I know so many people that always go to the Doctors and they are always sick. They are slaves to the Drs. They really depend on drugs to so call cure them. This world is so very dad.
Tommy

Knoxville, TN

#42 Feb 22, 2013
My thoughts are, if it is artificial it is not natural,therefor its not needed and it maybe a chemical, and I feel that chemicals can be a hazzard to your health. Who do you trust ? I have trusted a doctor and later regretted it. So be careful. If man can make vitamin b1and nature can also; I will choose nature's Personally I think we would all live healthier if we leave out all the man made things added to food. This is my opinion.
Morgan

Jacksonville, FL

#43 Oct 3, 2013
Anna wrote:
Strange how many people are paranoid of the stuff that's in food these days. Being vegan is NOT healthy because you NEED foods like meat so that you have more protein. People think that since soy has a small amount of protein in it, it is fine to replace meat with it, but that's dangerous because you will not get enough protein. Thiamine is Vitamin B1, and the thiamine mononitrate may be synthetic, but eating it is fine in moderation. Being paranoid and checking every single ingredients label will hurt you, not help you. Soon, you'll only be eating a select variety of fruits and vegetables because everything else is "unhealthy" because you don't know how to eat with moderation. It's fine to eat anything but stuff you're allergic to and poison. I would know, my father is a doctor, and I trust his medical opinion more than some vegan off the internet.
It's all well and good that you feel like you're being "strong" by taking this stance, but it doesn't make you right. If the chemicals in all of these foods actually are that bad for you(everyone IS getting cancer after all), then you fall into the "denial" category. It makes us feel stronger to say "enough is enough", "just eat in moderation. Everything will kill you eventually.", this however, does not solve our problem. Odd chemicals are in foods purely to save pennies. It looks good on paper and it gives us nutrients. Sold. The only people making out on this deal are the food producers though. For pennies! That's what they save when putting this crap in our foods. And we don't care. These chemicals WILL kill us though. And sooner than later.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Organic Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Organic food is a SCAM!!! (Aug '09) Jan 22 Ronnie1338 124
Seeking Friends to talk about good food with Jan 14 Organic girl 1
Goya beans - GMO or not? (Jul '09) Jan 13 TELLME 6
Good Websites (Jan '12) Jan 6 Lyndag 29
Organic milk with strange smell (Jan '10) Jan 6 star 8
Is organic food safe? Jan 5 golfbloke 1
Trusted Online Organic Health Food Store in Aus... Jan 4 Debstar 6
More from around the web