Thiamine Mononitrate?

Posted in the Organic Food Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
rsilvergun

Long Beach, CA

#1 Sep 18, 2006
Ok, Nitrates are bad, right? Sodium Nitrate and what have you. So what about Thiamine Mononitrate? Does it break down into nitrosomes like NaNO3? It's in tons of baked goods (especially a lot of "organic" pancake mixes). I can't find anything useful on it. Is it ok to delivery vitamine B-12 this way?
vicki

Geneva, IL

#2 Aug 22, 2007
I read on www.cspinet.org , a website on food additives, that it breaks down into small amounts of nitrate which are considered harmless. My interest was more about it in vitamin supplements. The amounts of thiamine mononitrate used to fortify foods are much smaller than amounts in vitamin supplements, and vitamin supplements are probably taken w/ greater regularity than consumption of any 1 particular food, so I guess I would avoid vitamin supplements that use this form of B1.
Mathew

Gilbert, AZ

#3 Jan 16, 2008
Just out of couriosity what "organic" food are you buying? All the organic food i buy has basic ingredients in them, Eggs yeast water salt eggs flour barley, and what have you. If your buying ANYTHING that has any form of nitrates in it, it is NOT natural there for it is NOT organic. My wife and i started not to long ago reading lables and eating mostly organic foods and she has lost alot of weight and im staying the same for my weight with out really changing my diet except for the ingredients in the food, and buying almost all if we can natural if not organic foods.
PoloNike

AOL

#4 Apr 19, 2008
rsilvergun wrote:
Ok, Nitrates are bad, right? Sodium Nitrate and what have you. So what about Thiamine Mononitrate? Does it break down into nitrosomes like NaNO3? It's in tons of baked goods (especially a lot of "organic" pancake mixes). I can't find anything useful on it. Is it ok to delivery vitamine B-12 this way?
Have you found out if you are sensitive to nitrate you would also have a problem with Thiamine Mononitrate? I am having an acute sensitivity issue to nitrate after over dosing on the stuff with grape juice. I have always known it will make be ill but just did not think about grape juice having it naturally and got on a grape juice kick. I became extremely ill. Now I am scared to death to eat anything that may remotely have nitrate as I am so hyper sensitive now.
BodybuilderKitty

United States

#7 Jan 15, 2009
hey polonike ur probably sick due to nitrates cuz THEY CAUSE CANCER
worried mom

Canton, GA

#8 Feb 15, 2009
My daughter is on a mononitrate free diet at the moment because of migraines. She is ten and had a migraine cyle of 2 months. We are talking CRONIC!! At times she would almost pass out. We are going to try and add some back in and see how she does after that. Our Dr. told us it takes about 4 weeks for it to all get out of your system. Then you can slowly add new things back in to see if you are sensitive or not. We will try to stay away from as much of it as we can. The only problem is that it is in EVERYTHING!!
james

AOL

#9 Feb 19, 2009
Worried mom cut out all GMO foods and go Organic. The food is has poison in it. I had the same problem. Do not have her drink water that has fluoride in it ck an see if you tap has it. Also its in the toothpastes. read on GMO in the food. Good luck. make sure she is not drinking clone milk, or cheese that has hormones.
AJ Schissel

Santa Fe, NM

#11 May 7, 2010
worried mom wrote:
My daughter is on a mononitrate free diet at the moment because of migraines. She is ten and had a migraine cyle of 2 months. We are talking CRONIC!! At times she would almost pass out. We are going to try and add some back in and see how she does after that. Our Dr. told us it takes about 4 weeks for it to all get out of your system. Then you can slowly add new things back in to see if you are sensitive or not. We will try to stay away from as much of it as we can. The only problem is that it is in EVERYTHING!!
Hi worried Mom, I have been suffering from migraines ever since the 4th grade. I found out beause every time my school had hotdog day, I would have a migraine. Now I am 38 yrs. old and I avoid nirate and mononitrates like the pleague. I read labels on everything and now a days it seems like you can get a variety of foods that don't contain nitrates or mononitrates at the grocery store with out having to go to a "natural "food store. A lot of foods that say "all natural" still have mononitrates in it. If your daughter gets migraines you might want to also keep her away from any food that is aged like cheese or any night shade foods like tomatoes or eggplant etc.. It does seem like nitrates are in everything sometimes, but the more I reed labels, the easier it becomes to spot the food that contains the ingredience that I need to stay away from. I have also started taking Topamax in the morning and evenings and it has help dramaticly in reducing the number of migraines I get. A nutritionist told me, after I told her about my sensitivity to nitrates, that it is a good thing that you are allergic to nitrates. A "good thing I said." She said that because even people who aren't allergic shouldn't be eatting that stuff and just because some people don't have a reaction to Nitrates, doesn't mean it's good for them either. I hope your daughter continues to not make that apart of her diet. Your a good Mom for trying to recognize the problem and do something about it. My Mom is a nurse and to this day she still trys to poision me. She just doesn't get it. She trys sometimes, but your right it's in everything!! Sometimes its more difficult for other people to understand and be senitive to the allergy. But as long as you help your daughter understand what she can and cannot eat, she will start to beome savvy about it on her own . Take Care and if you have any questions about Nitrates. My e-mail is ajschissel@ymail.com.
AJ Schissel

Santa Fe, NM

#12 May 7, 2010
Hi worried Mom, I have been suffering from migraines ever since the 4th grade. I found out beause every time my school had hotdog day, I would have a migraine. Now I am 38 yrs. old and I avoid nirate and mononitrates like the pleague. I read labels on everything and now a days it seems like you can get a variety of foods that don't contain nitrates or mononitrates at the grocery store with out having to go to a "natural "food store. A lot of foods that say "all natural" still have mononitrates in it. If your daughter gets migraines you might want to also keep her away from any food that is aged like cheese or any night shade foods like tomatoes or eggplant etc.. It does seem like nitrates are in everything sometimes, but the more I reed labels, the easier it becomes to spot the food that contains the ingredience that I need to stay away from. I have also started taking Topamax in the morning and evenings and it has help dramaticly in reducing the number of migraines I get. A nutritionist told me, after I told her about my sensitivity to nitrates, that it is a good thing that you are allergic to nitrates. A "good thing I said." She said that because even people who aren't allergic shouldn't be eatting that stuff and just because some people don't have a reaction to Nitrates, doesn't mean it's good for them either. I hope your daughter continues to not make that apart of her diet. Your a good Mom for trying to recognize the problem and do something about it. My Mom is a nurse and to this day she still trys to poision me. She just doesn't get it. She trys sometimes, but your right it's in everything!! Sometimes its more difficult for other people to understand and be senitive to the allergy. But as long as you help your daughter understand what she can and cannot eat, she will start to beome savvy about it on her own . Take Care and if you have any questions about Nitrates. My e-mail is ajschissel@ymail.com.
SMART MOM

Elizabethtown, KY

#13 May 26, 2010
worried mom wrote:
My daughter is on a mononitrate free diet at the moment because of migraines. She is ten and had a migraine cyle of 2 months. We are talking CRONIC!! At times she would almost pass out. We are going to try and add some back in and see how she does after that. Our Dr. told us it takes about 4 weeks for it to all get out of your system. Then you can slowly add new things back in to see if you are sensitive or not. We will try to stay away from as much of it as we can. The only problem is that it is in EVERYTHING!!
Please this is very much for everyone, but I am directly addressing worried mom Watch ASAP:

THE BEAUTIFUL TRUTH
THE GERSON MIRACLE
Both can be streamed instantly on netflix.com

You will be amazed at what you will learn, and discover about the food you consume, it just may save you life.

My family, and I have converted to vegan mostly (with fish once or twice a month) of course with the earth bleeding to death, and poisoning our oceans this will probably change!

Anyways we feel better, and have alot more energy, and my kids are happier!

I wish there was an organic food store in ELIZABETHTOWN, KY though it is difficult to get a verity of food with what these supermarkets offer around here
Another worried mom

Land O Lakes, FL

#14 Jun 22, 2010
I am changing my diet to organic as well. My four month old will not be started on her Beech Nut rice cereal made up of thiamine Mononitrates!! Watch out it is in everything except organic foods.
Mom to a 5yo veg

Austin, TX

#15 Jul 28, 2010
Let's take a deep breath for a second and step away from the fear. Yes it has the word nitrite in it, however thiamine mononitrite (vitamin B1) is actually an important part of our diets and getting too little of it is BAD for you. No we probably shouldn't over-do it, but it is fine, actually good, in moderation. Obviously if you are sensitive to nitrites then yes you should avoid it, otherwise don't, your body needs it.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-b1...

“Yes, I really was born here”

Since: Jul 10

Austin

#16 Jul 28, 2010
Sorry I obviously meant nitrAte not nitrIte
Brian

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Aug 15, 2010
Why do we have all this useless synthetic stuff on the foods we eat?
Seems so senseless.
HealthyHappyMom

Hesperia, CA

#18 Aug 19, 2010
Worried mom, I think you should change your name to ProactiveSmartMom. You are on the right track and James, you are right. Thiamine Mononitrate is derived from soy and corn, which are mostly GMO foods, so another great reason to stay away from it! Smart Mom and everyone else, add The Future of Food to your list of "must watch movies." Streamed on Hulu or ordered on netflix. Mom to a 5yo veg, pretty sure Thiamine Mononitrate is not vitamin B1. Thiamine is B1 and Mononitrate is a salt form of it created in a lab to put it in our food. A little nitrates are NEVER good. Ya want some more B1, eat some nuts, peas, or wheat germ. Don't buy food with fortified vitamins, fillers, GMOs, and health inhibiting ingredients.

Knowledge is the key ingredient to health...wishing you all a future of great recipes!
Mom to a 5yo veg

Cedar Park, TX

#19 Aug 19, 2010
Oh yes you're right, I'll believe you and not the University of Maryland Medical Center lol. Sorry but you're wrong. Thiamine Mononitrate is vitamin B1, period. I'm sorry that's not the answer you are looking for but it's just a fact. If you are getting enough vitamin b from other sources then avoiding it is fine, but a lot of people and kids don't. Like everything, it should be used in moderation. Too much of ANY vitamin is not good for you. But when you start eliminating everything from your kids diet they may start lacking vital nutrients, and too many websites contain scare tactics and misinformation that make us afraid for no reason. Everyone chill and do some research before believing strangers on the internet. You'll be hard pressed to find actual studies showing Thiamine Mononitrates to be harmful. Yes mononitrates, including thiamine, break down into a very negligible amount of nitrosamines in your body. However you are likely to get more nitrosamines from putting on your makeup in the morning, or touching/using rubber or latex products, including bandaids or party balloons. Also if you eat cooked fish you probably get more nitrosamines than the slice of white bread you're afraid of your child eating. Remember in the 80's there was the big aspartame scare? How it could cause cancer because it breaks down into formaldehyde? Turns out that red meat actually breaks down into more formaldehyde then the aspartame could ever cause lol. Do you ever hear those stories anymore? Just do the best you can, but if you find out something your child eats has a scary name in it don't freak out. You'd be alarmed at how much of the same stuff we all use and eat every day no matter how hard we try. And some people are going to be more sensitive to some nutrients than others, so if someone has a reaction to aspartame or thiamine mononitrates I'm sure it's true. But I know plenty of people who have had similar reactions to perfect natural foods like WHEAT. Just because one person is sensitive to an ingredient doesn't mean we have to ban it. Just know your body and it will tell you when something is not agreeing with you. And if you're going to avoid vitamins please get them from other sources.
Green Freak

United States

#20 Sep 28, 2010
Mathew wrote:
Just out of couriosity what "organic" food are you buying? All the organic food i buy has basic ingredients in them, Eggs yeast water salt eggs flour barley, and what have you. If your buying ANYTHING that has any form of nitrates in it, it is NOT natural there for it is NOT organic. My wife and i started not to long ago reading lables and eating mostly organic foods and she has lost alot of weight and im staying the same for my weight with out really changing my diet except for the ingredients in the food, and buying almost all if we can natural if not organic foods.
Ditto. I eat mainly organic and avoid bad ingredients. Not much of a change and actually fun to maintain; I want my money going to companies that care about my health as much as the bottom line. NO GMO's!!!
Brandonrich2000

Bellingham, WA

#21 Nov 12, 2010
The lady was right and you are wrong. Only Thiamine is vitamin B1, and Thiamine mononitrate is a synthetic form created using nitrate salts. I'm sorry that's not the answer you are looking for but it's just a fact. Look it up anywhere, including wikipedia. However what most of you don't know, is that organic foods can contain this as well. I was surprised to learn that the organic breads that I was buying were full of this mononitrate. I believe it must be allowed due to it being a vitamin, even though it is synthetic. I was thoroughly disappointed in this fact, and it makes it much more difficult for me to avoid it.
Bonnie

United States

#22 Jan 1, 2011
@ Brian, because, "They need to keep people sick...sick people keep the drug companies and doctors & FDA all rich. It's the..."You Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours! They know the cure for cancer and many other diseases, but if they practiced healthy preventative care, the medical establishments & drug companies would go broke...therefore, they only treat symptoms, not the underlying cause of disease, and the toxic chemicals they use to treat you, can cause irreversible liver, kidney,and heart damage! They can't patent "Natural"alternative remedies, nor can they make money on them because they are to simple & cheap...unless they can add synthetic, man made toxic chemicals...(The risks, "DON'T" outweigh the benifits! They can be lethal or cause more disease!
Rubistar

Boston, MA

#23 Jan 10, 2011
worried mom wrote:
My daughter is on a mononitrate free diet at the moment because of migraines. She is ten and had a migraine cyle of 2 months. We are talking CRONIC!! At times she would almost pass out. We are going to try and add some back in and see how she does after that. Our Dr. told us it takes about 4 weeks for it to all get out of your system. Then you can slowly add new things back in to see if you are sensitive or not. We will try to stay away from as much of it as we can. The only problem is that it is in EVERYTHING!!
Hi worried mom:
I feel for your migrain-suffering daughter. I am the same way. You're right about trying to avoid the most common triggers of migraines because they are in everything (nitrates/nitrites/MSG...just to name a few). What you need to do is go on a straight natural diet and avoid all processed foods. not only will your daughter's migraines get better...she will actually be healthier and so will the whole family. Veggies/lean proteins/carbs from fruit & veggies (no wheat/grain/dairy). ANd nuts of course....it's basically...a paleolithic diet - the simpletest way you can eat, also the most difficult because most things in this world nowadays lean towards processed and therefore very harmful. Watch your nutrition and change your life forever!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Organic Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Organic Food Packaging 9 hr Maham Syed 1
Sidr honey is truly holistic. (Apr '14) Sun Dr Rafiq Apiaries 6
Susan's Green Marketplace - Natural, Organic an... Sun susansgreenmarket... 1
Harvest Farms Organic? Who are they? (Apr '08) Oct 12 Annie 201 105
Organic food Oct 8 Ramesh 1
Greenhouse, High Tunnel, & Hydroponic Technolog... (Jan '12) Oct 6 Cory Trevor 2
Honey and Heartburn (Aug '09) Oct 5 Lisa 4

Organic Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE