Organic food is a SCAM!!!
Honesty

Vancouver, Canada

#87 Jan 22, 2012
Noam would be offended. Shame on you pesticide man!!!
FaultBreak

Pasadena, CA

#88 Feb 17, 2012
steve wrote:
very biased peice of writing. Organic food actually helps alot of people with certain health problems, which some actually caused are by the pesticides blah blah blah...see above
Steve, you are an idiot. I am a scientist, although my background is geophysics, science is science, so long as it is based in math (obviously, psychology doesn't fit into this category).

Organic food lobbyists pay HUGE money to the propaganda machine that tells you exactly the BS that you are spewing. You are the one with a bias. Of course, you are one of the few who are actually reading the counter-argument, as most pro-organic folks just read the propaganda and watch the BS documentaries.

Real science is OBJECTIVE, and completed by those who have nothing to gain financially or politically. Well, guess what? It's VERY rare. I have nothing to gain either way for this topic, and please understand that I have studied both sides. Organic food is actually less safe in many situations, as it is not regulated as well as you think. If a farmer can say his food is organic and charge more than four times what he was charging before, how many do you think will LIE? Those are just the independent farmers...what about the corporations and conglomerates? Then, when it's time to test the product, they are the ones to collect and send a sample to a lab. Do you think that would fly if it were a murder scene? Do you think the cops would allow the murderer to collect the dna samples and send them to the CSI lab? Since there are NO FIELD TESTS, they have all the time to do whatever they want to the samples.

The reality is, when the hand-pickers of say, spinach, are out in the field, and need to take a crap, it's very unlikely they are going to walk a mile back to the bathroom to go. So, they just take a dump right there in the field, wipe with whatever leaf they are picking, then just throw that on the ground (even if they have TP, that would make it worse, since the wind is going to blow it around, cross-contaminating everything else nearby). Now you have hepatitis-contaminated, E.coli-laden feces in the field with the food.

When they go to wash organic foods, they don't wash it the way they do with food that has been sprayed with pesticides. They just give it a quick once-over rinse while it is in the truck, and don't use any detergents or anything. In fact, many times, the water they are using is recycled back to be used again, so it is brown, nasty, infected water, spreading the E.coli even more. When they wash food that has been sprayed with pesticides, they use special detergents to break down the pesticides, as well as wash it several times (they generally will recycle the 1st wash cycle, but the rest are clean water). They will literally SUBMERGE the items, and have them move along a water-conveyor belt.

Did you know that 25% of organic foods test positive for pesticides they aren't allowed to use? "On average over the previous decade, around 25% of the samples of organic produce has contained a pesticide residue not approved for use on organic farms." In 2009, of 386 samples, only four tested positive, so they are getting better at hiding it. Source: http://www.organic-center.org/news_archive/Ju...

Also, you have to remember that every organic food item you purchase, you are increasing the price on affordable food, causing those who can't afford food to struggle even more. Since you are a proponent of organic food, I can safely assume that you are yuppie scum, and have enough money that you don't give a shit about people who are working class (like me, who does real science and gets paid $20/hr, when I could work for an oil company making 6 figures). Why do I stay where I am? Because I am doing some good in the world.I am not a liberal or a conservative. I have no political agenda, save for wanting more funding for real science, not asshole lobbyists who pay off corrupt shitheads who do bullshit pseudoscience.
Cody

Saint Paul, MN

#89 Mar 1, 2012
Well first id like to say that its humanly impossible to be unbiased. Your biased go into a subconscious level that you cant control; which is why humans came up with the scientific process. In fact, unless you can come up with arguments in the favor of both side; your bias.

Secondly, I think the biggest reason to go organic is to know where you get your food from. I personally only buy organics from farms that I go to and see with my own eyes whats happening. Going to Walmart and buying organic is another thing. We could go back and fourth posting links, calling names, and other general troll things, or we face the facts.

The fact is eating organically helps your stray away from preservatives. I mean anyone can see that obesity rates are high, diabetes rates are skyrocketing and heart disease is ridiculous. 1 and 3 people born after 2000 will get diabetes. And the life expectancy is dropping now, but I digress..

If your organic, your not going to eat fast food. Your not going to eat the 2 pounds of corn that go into one Mcdonalds meal, or eat the burger; which has meat filler that's cleansed with ammonia.

By the way, just because you read one anicdote done in London three years ago means nothing.
Santacruzcalikus h

Scotts Valley, CA

#90 Mar 16, 2012
Chimpsky is a straight idiot. Chemical fertilizers destroy our soil and water. Do some actual research and dont be such a dumbass. Better yet, go kill yourself

“Religion sucks!”

Since: Feb 11

Frog Balls, Arkansas

#91 Mar 19, 2012
Santacruzcalikush wrote:
Chimpsky is a straight idiot. Chemical fertilizers destroy our soil and water. Do some actual research and dont be such a dumbass. Better yet, go kill yourself
Chimpsky is a genius. You are the idiot. All this whining about fertilizers, can you honestly tell me almost every American doesn't have clean water to drink? Can you tell me there's a shortage of fertile land in this country? You're just another hippy loon who's bought into the hype.
Torn

Tyngsboro, MA

#92 Mar 22, 2012
I don't eat 100 percent organic but have started to when I found out that most other countries in the world ban most of the additives and preservatives this country allows us to put in our food. I partially agree with the argument that it may be a scam because I question this myself, but I also can't stop thinking about all of the unnecessary crap that is in a lot of our food. There is a difference between organic and natural ad well. This is the way I look at it, civilization isn't something new and cavemen didn't have additives and preservatives, so why should we? I'm not a hippy by any stretch of the imagination, but we are fatter and sicker than ever, that is just fact. The fAct that we live longer is due to modern medicine and the genius who invented soap! It is much more expensive to eat healthier period! That's the biggest scam of all, doesn't even have to be organic. Why does a McDonald's value meal cost less than a salad? We need to take a look at the rest of the world and compare them to ourselves, which we rarely do! We've got the food thing all wrong!
Dirk

Ottawa, Canada

#93 Apr 5, 2012
I really believe that those of us who produce organic products do ourselves a huge disservice by claiming our products are better than conventional. I have not seen a credible study proving this despite having both a diploma and a degree in agriculture with my major being organics. Framing it as a battle between organic and conventional hurts both sides. I know the majority of organic farmers I interact with would not make this claim. That said the consumer is King.....its just basic economics. Right now consumers are demanding organic food and your damn right they will get it somewhere. If a consumer wants milk from a cow that hasn't had modified versions of penicillin shoved up its udder despite having nothing wrong with it then so be it. If they want to purchase produce which has been grown on land in a proper rotation as opposed to monoculture crops all the power to them. I dont try to discourage you from buying a chev over ford because its your choice. I can tell you one thing though......when conventional and organic producers/researchers work with each other and not against each other both industries move forward a heck of a lot faster since both can learn from each other.
Dirk

Ottawa, Canada

#94 Apr 5, 2012
Karl_Hungus wrote:
<quoted text>
Chimpsky is a genius. You are the idiot. All this whining about fertilizers, can you honestly tell me almost every American doesn't have clean water to drink? Can you tell me there's a shortage of fertile land in this country? You're just another hippy loon who's bought into the hype.
Actually Im not sure if you read the USDA reports but year end corn/soy stocks are at an all time low so yes we are running a little too close to the edge. Then again one could argue ethanol production has caused this shortage. However I dont understand peoples staunch opposition to organic production despite the fact that many organic practices are endorsed by conventional agronomists.
Jenkins

Brookfield, WI

#95 May 21, 2012
People who claim they "feel better" after eating organic foods are experiencing what is known as the placebo effect.

Penn & Teller did their "BS" show on organic foods and they had a banana cut in half and each put on a plate marked "organic" and "non-organic". One of these wacky organic food loving hippies then was offered a bite of these products and asked which one was better. She bashed the non-organic one while claiming the organic banana was so much better.

I have no doubt every single organic-food promoter here would have fallen for the same trick.

You're suckers with a capital S.
Jenkins

Brookfield, WI

#96 May 21, 2012
Dirk wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Im not sure if you read the USDA reports but year end corn/soy stocks are at an all time low so yes we are running a little too close to the edge. Then again one could argue ethanol production has caused this shortage. However I dont understand peoples staunch opposition to organic production despite the fact that many organic practices are endorsed by conventional agronomists.
There are people of all sorts with their own motives. So freaking what? Keep paying more for your food and get zero nutritious or health benefits over it while convincing yourself you are.
Dirk

Ottawa, Canada

#97 Jun 2, 2012
Jenkins wrote:
<quoted text>
There are people of all sorts with their own motives. So freaking what? Keep paying more for your food and get zero nutritious or health benefits over it while convincing yourself you are.
Did you not just read the post I made above the one you quoted? I made no such claim.....actually I believe I stated the opposite. This tells me you are a troll who read only the last post of the thread......gold star for you!!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#98 Jun 4, 2012
The funniest thing about this comment is that the person says there no proven health benefits to eating organic.

My question is...Why does there have to be a benefit to eating something we are originally supposed to eat.

A documentary i just worked on features an organic winemaker in Napa talking about this exact thing. LETS START FROM THE BEGINNING

http://youtube.com/theaumfilm

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#99 Jun 5, 2012
There are certain things that I notice about SOME organic foods/products. For instance apple cider vinegar. But. I can't vouch for every vegetable.
Kate

Toronto, Canada

#100 Jun 13, 2012
truth

Calgary, Canada

#101 Jul 13, 2012
Organic pesticides.........what a joke. The masses are being brainwashed. Just another trick to take money out of your pockets.
NoamChimpsky wrote:
<quoted text>
There aren't reliable, unbiased scientific studies linking organic crap to better nutrition. Pretty much every study has shown that there's no difference in terms of nutrition. If I buy a genetically-modified Fuji apple that was treated with pesticides (which is the only way for any crop to be cost-effective), it is no less nutritious than your bruise-covered "organic" apple grown in cow shit. And you know what the funniest thing about you organic dopes is? You're too stupid to realize that ORGANIC FOOD HAS PESTICIDES ON IT!! And here's the funny part.......they only use organic pesticides, which aren't nearly as effective, so they end up having the spray 3-4 times MORE pesticides than non-organic farmers! Damn, you people are such dupes!
JWJ

Humacao, Puerto Rico

#102 Jul 16, 2012
Yes, it can be true. Most of organic growers are a fraud. They only sell it as organic because they can twice the money. It is SOOO easy for them to lie. There are third party auditors that will schedule an audit for X or Y day. The company knows so they prepare their show for that day. They separate organic product from the conventional, the same thing with the packaging material, they put the signs up in the fields, etc. etc. etc.
But it goes even further. When they submit the list of the chemicals they use all they provide is a fake list fixed by the company's organic certification director. They constantly pack conventional product as organic!!!!!!!!!! It is all a fraud!!!
A great example is Peri and Sons in Nevada. David and Pamela Peri along with Lindsay Dixon (Org. Cert. Director) manipulate their records in order to be certified as organic and get more money for their products. Even when they run out of certified product (which was thanks to a fake list of chemicals) they pack conventional as organic.
The same thing with food safety...it is all a lie!!!
watever

United States

#103 Jul 29, 2012
pathetic argument
Kelly

Noble Park, Australia

#104 Sep 9, 2012
I'm sorry, but I used to be a sucker for the organic trend.
I got cancer at 25 years old, a very rare one that effects less than 1% of the US population. I ate healthy organic food. Doctors don't know what caused it, and neither do I, but cancer just happens. I'm sure half of you don't even know what cancer is.

You all talk about dying of cardiovascular disease, heart attacks, cancer, these are ALL scary things, but organic food is not going to stop that from happening to you or your family. Get real. We all have to die of something. One of the fathers of organic food died at 72 after stating he was going to live to over a 100.

I survived cancer, and I'm lucky, but one day, I'm going to get something else and die, but I'm glad I didn't waste my life and my money buying food that is over priced, with no additional benefit whatsoever. Organic food uses pesticides, just not "synthetic" ones. They are still chemicals, and most are toxic at high doses. Please get a grip on reality and what's good for your life and your family.

The advancement in food is a wonderful thing, it could see the end of starvation, stop being a snob and think about the bigger picture. A happy world full of very happy stomachs. You are still going to die and get disease eating organic food, I am living proof and so are many people.
No GMOs

Emmaus, PA

#105 Sep 9, 2012
The advancement of food is not wonderful when they genetically alter a natural food. Although carrots started out as yellow, blue and purple in their natural state; that was the least of manipulating a natural food. Today, it's much more extreme. By genetically altering natural foods today, world wide corporations like Monsanto, are compromising are health. These foods were meant to be as they are. I don't know of anyone who believes that eating organic will prevent cancer, or any disease for that matter, but eating wholesome untainted foods will help to keep you healthier. Pesticide and toxic chemicals are a serious issue in our world. Our environment is loaded with them. That doesn't mean that organic food is pure, but it's still better then consuming foods that are deliberately tainted with pesticides and toxic chemicals in the attempt to preserve them longer. The companies that do this don't care about your health, but production and profits. It's up to us, the consumer, to always be alert and cautious to what is in the food that we are eating. It's essential to everyone's well-being and health. There are many types of cancers, some more resistant and deadly. Some types of cancers can be hereditary. A woman I worked with lost her husband to some form of cancer. He previously had lost 2 brothers and a father to this cancer. She told me that he was trim, jogged, ate healthy, would have an apple and yogurt every day for lunch, yet he still died of this deadly cancer. Everyone's immune system is different, too. Some people are lucky and go through life without ever becoming seriously ill. The best defense, since we can't know exactly how resistant our own immune systems will, is to consume the most natural foods possible. To live as healthy a lifestyle as possible. Not just good wholesome food, but living as stress-free as possible, getting rid of negative thoughts, etc. Wholesome natural food is just one of several ways to help keep us healthy and possibly avoid disease, but there is never a 100% guarantee on anything in this life. I'd rather eat wholesome natural food - 100% certified organic food, then risk eating anything else.
mcicarella

Columbus, OH

#106 Feb 12, 2013
After reading through the postings on this website it was suprising to see how many people believe in something that they don't fully understand. Some say that genetically engineered food is bad for you.or foods with pesticides. Some feel that organic food is just a waste of money and there is scientific research to back up what is being said. Of you believe in either one why not bsse your opinions on your own research instead of someone elses. There is a reson why so many people have tested the theory and come up woth a variety of results. Everyone is so focused on the beginning product instead of the entire makeup of ones diet. It's not whether the food is organic or non organic that is killing people it's the combination of foods that one eats. The term an apple a day keeps the doctor away can only apply to eating healthy. Not eating the apple then raiding the cuboard for a bag of chips. Did anyone ever stop to wonder how the human race has survived for over 200, 000 years? Surely they didn't have pesticides then or even know how to grow crops. Our species has survived simply because of rhe advancements that we have made over the millenias. We survive because of medical advancements and food advancements which many people in this world exploit. So when one sees the deaths of others from cancer, obesity, or heart disease its not just because they ate only pesticide food or organic food. Eating organic food doesn't stop someone from believing in medicine when they get sick and eating foods treated with non organic pesticides doesn't stop them from being healthy. Other factors play into these to ideals. Believing in this would be like saying eating ice cream on a hot day and drowning is related. There is more than just those two variables to theresulting outcome.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Organic Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Longtime State Rep. Karen Clark Won't Seek Re-E... Dec 11 cowboy chris 4
Organic skin care products, can you help? (Sep '11) Nov 21 Petewilliams 60
Pure butter ghee. Nov 17 K_abbasi 1
Honey and Heartburn (Aug '09) Nov '17 FREEDOMINS01 5
Reverse Osmosis water filter Oct '17 E-S-Stitch 1
Keeping Skin Healthy During Cold Months Sep '17 Clarity _White an... 1
Goya beans - GMO or not? (Jul '09) Sep '17 spiral 9
More from around the web