Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9206 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8722 Sep 9, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
So my pals n I walked into a bar that had a darts game n a chalkboard with s full box of chalk to keep score n I totally swiped it left an extra tip because kind of felt like a thief but omg it was worth it, it was the good crayola which I haven't ran into in ages I've been secretly munching lol I needed this lol
Imagine if you had been caught...."lady arrested for swiping a box of chalk" lol

I can understand the temptation.
Curious

United States

#8723 Sep 9, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
Did u say u were going to wait months to reorder? That's a very long time
Yes. That's usually how I try to control myself. I feel if I constantly feeding my cravings I will never quit and probably start using my clay as a crutch like I need to have it every where I go or if I get angry I have to chew 3 chunks to calm me down. I don't want to be that addicted to clay. I want to be able to say I went without clay for 4+ months now I think I deserve clay. I reward myself for not having clay after a certain amount of time. I eat 1 pound of clay fast and I don't mean withing a day or two, it usually takes 2 weeks to finish 1 pound off. Only reason I ate my last batch so fast is because I knew in my mind I already had a batch at my parents house and it's already earthy and it's been sitting there for a month. If I ever get a chance to buy from mutt & Jeff I'll have to eat that batch in moderation. I'm sure it'll be easy because at some point I'll start to feel like "wow I'm eating too much I need to slow down." Or hide bags around the house and hopefully forget them and then one day find it and it'll be a nice treat lol.
CCL

Kingston, Jamaica

#8724 Sep 9, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
What are the videos of? I'm unable to watch said it won't play in my country
They are both my strange addiction vids. The 1st is about the young lady addicted to eating chalk and makes her best friend and sisters try it. Their reaction is sort like its the most disgusting thing on the planet. A bit of an overreaction to me. The 2nd is about a 22yr old who eats clay pottery and cigarette ashes. Her sister smokes and finds eating clay and ashes disgusting.
CCL

Kingston, Jamaica

#8725 Sep 9, 2014
All things clay wrote:
I have received my Mutt & Jeff and Good Ole Dirt!
The Good Ole Dirt is great - I have had it before and it is the same as I remember; I love the slightly sour taste.
I have been wanting to try Mutt & Jeff for a long time and so happy to finally have it. This clay is very, very close to the perfect clay for me...the only thing that would make it perfect is if it had a bit of grit because I like a slight grit.
This clay is hard, crunchy, smooth and earthy. Yes, earthy! I wasn't expecting that, because the other white dirt I have tried wasn't. I love this clay, and so cheap too!
My gosh ATL, I need some!! How much did you pay to ship it to you?
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8726 Sep 9, 2014
CCL wrote:
<quoted text>
My gosh ATL, I need some!! How much did you pay to ship it to you?
Is that you Caribbean Clay Lover?

Sorry but I didn't ship it - I had a relative bring it here with her on a flight.

Unfortunately M&J doesn't ship outside of US, so would need a US address - and as you know shipping is expensive. I have been wanting to try it for ages, but was nervous of paying all that shipping and not liking it. So happy I could get some brought here.
CCL

Kingston, Jamaica

#8727 Sep 9, 2014
Man you are lucky. And that you have others around you who understand and eat it too is great. Think I'll go get some red clay pottery this week. Cravings are unbearable.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#8728 Sep 9, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be great, a real bonus. I have only sampled two bags so far and was worried that some bags wouldn't be as good - so would be so happy if some were even better!
I let my sister, who is a powder eater, sample my clay. She loves the Mutt & Jeff - plans to crush it into powder lol
I guess it is a win win. Some for you and some for her. How long do you think that it will last since it is up to your liking?
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8730 Sep 9, 2014
All things clay wrote:
I have received my Mutt & Jeff and Good Ole Dirt!
The Good Ole Dirt is great - I have had it before and it is the same as I remember; I love the slightly sour taste.
I have been wanting to try Mutt & Jeff for a long time and so happy to finally have it. This clay is very, very close to the perfect clay for me...the only thing that would make it perfect is if it had a bit of grit because I like a slight grit.
This clay is hard, crunchy, smooth and earthy. Yes, earthy! I wasn't expecting that, because the other white dirt I have tried wasn't. I love this clay, and so cheap too!
How was it packaged?
Wow mutt n Jeff's sounds perfect n maybe it's a good thing it doesn't have grit to save your teeth. Between the two which did you like better?
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8731 Sep 9, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
lol that's my dummy account on fb.
No, I didn't order those sadly. Just found them on google and thought they looked delicious.
I will be adding pictures from my mutt and jeff order whenever it gets here tho. Should be sometime next Monday.
I'm glad you were able to get a little chalk to munch on. And how lucky that it was the good stuff too!:D
I need too make a dummy account also just so I can like n comment on the fb pages lol those pics were amazing is that kaolin?
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8732 Sep 9, 2014
Smore wrote:
<quoted text>
No I haven't received my order from Mutt and Jeff or Mavu. I am waiting patiently. Meanwhile, I went to the local craft store and found the crayons chalk!! Was a bit weary to try it, but once I did....I was eladed at the taste and texture! Yummy!!!!
I had a whole stick while I wrote this text! Oh oh! I sense another addiction!?
Do you mean the crayola type? If so sounds like u got a good batch which is rare nowadays
Chalk is my whole addiction haven't tried clay though I really want to now with all the great reviews lol
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8733 Sep 9, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be great, a real bonus. I have only sampled two bags so far and was worried that some bags wouldn't be as good - so would be so happy if some were even better!
I let my sister, who is a powder eater, sample my clay. She loves the Mutt & Jeff - plans to crush it into powder lol
What kinds of powder does she have? Like de?
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8734 Sep 9, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Imagine if you had been caught...."lady arrested for swiping a box of chalk" lol
I can understand the temptation.
That thought kept running through my head but my chalk addiction got the best of me I would of probably munched the whole box before cops arrived lol
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8735 Sep 9, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That's usually how I try to control myself. I feel if I constantly feeding my cravings I will never quit and probably start using my clay as a crutch like I need to have it every where I go or if I get angry I have to chew 3 chunks to calm me down. I don't want to be that addicted to clay. I want to be able to say I went without clay for 4+ months now I think I deserve clay. I reward myself for not having clay after a certain amount of time. I eat 1 pound of clay fast and I don't mean withing a day or two, it usually takes 2 weeks to finish 1 pound off. Only reason I ate my last batch so fast is because I knew in my mind I already had a batch at my parents house and it's already earthy and it's been sitting there for a month. If I ever get a chance to buy from mutt & Jeff I'll have to eat that batch in moderation. I'm sure it'll be easy because at some point I'll start to feel like "wow I'm eating too much I need to slow down." Or hide bags around the house and hopefully forget them and then one day find it and it'll be a nice treat lol.
That's a great method to eat in moderation I think because I have chalk do easily available I just always over do it lol good for you :-)
clay mama

Zimbabwe

#8736 Sep 10, 2014
itz amazing how delicious clay can be, the variety of textures, tastes, colors and amazing aromas..u noe guys i have a pot belly so i was juss wondering if its being caused by clay,does any of u guys have e same problem
facefaceface

New York, NY

#8737 Sep 10, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
I need too make a dummy account also just so I can like n comment on the fb pages lol those pics were amazing is that kaolin?
Yep!
I was looking for other places to buy kaolin chunks for cheap besides mutt and jeff, and even though none of the clay in those pics were for sale, I thought I would just share anyway.
I can't even look at them though. My mouth just starts watering.

I just ordered a few boxes of a new brand of chalk, Quartet Alpha.
It's an expensive chalk, but I've really wanted to try it ever since seeing an episode of My Strange Addiction, where a woman who eats chalk eats only that brand. Or at least I think it's that brand. They blurred the box, but it looks similar.
I hope I don't like it too much.:/
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8738 Sep 10, 2014
CCL wrote:
Man you are lucky. And that you have others around you who understand and eat it too is great. Think I'll go get some red clay pottery this week. Cravings are unbearable.
I have waited a long time for it lol!

I am pretty open about it now and people close to me know. I am even thinking about going public and give a talk about clay and try to find other people with pica type cravings. I know that there must be quite a few secret eaters.

What is the red clay pottery like? I would love to be able to get some red - have tried Leslie's before and loved it but she seems to be out of stock again.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8739 Sep 10, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it is a win win. Some for you and some for her. How long do you think that it will last since it is up to your liking?
Well I gave her two big chunks plus a small piece I had given her to try - I thought I was very generous lol.
Curious

Marietta, GA

#8740 Sep 10, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a great method to eat in moderation I think because I have chalk do easily available I just always over do it lol good for you :-)
Yeah, I feel if I was addicted to chalk or cornstarch, I'll be more addicted to it plus they're cheap, they're like 99ยข a box, probably cheaper for chalk. Clay on the other hand, I have to pay almost $20 for it and then wait for it to come in. A longer process than just going to a store .
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#8741 Sep 10, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
How was it packaged?
Wow mutt n Jeff's sounds perfect n maybe it's a good thing it doesn't have grit to save your teeth. Between the two which did you like better?
The Good Ole Dirt came in small flat boxes, two in a box. I don't know how the M&J came because when I got it it had been removed from the box - was just in the sandwich bags.

I love them both but prefer the M&J - love how hard it is and the earthiness. I had planned to stick to one chunk a day but that hasn't worked - have been having about two big chunks a day so far so will go through at least two bags a week.
CCL

Kingston, Jamaica

#8742 Sep 10, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I have waited a long time for it lol!
I am pretty open about it now and people close to me know. I am even thinking about going public and give a talk about clay and try to find other people with pica type cravings. I know that there must be quite a few secret eaters.
What is the red clay pottery like? I would love to be able to get some red - have tried Leslie's before and loved it but she seems to be out of stock again.
Yes, go for it. I think it will give others courage. Pretty sure there are others around... prob even those who have thought about tryin it but never did, The potteries are earthy not creamy and are harder than reg clay. Some may have sand in the middle which I hate plus have a coating on the outside of the pottery. I recommend the thicker pots both from the red or white clay that are not glossy. The same as those in the vid I posted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Maine's governor defies Feds, says no to junk f... 21 hr longtail 1
News 10 Veggies To Get Your Nutrients In Jun 20 Marta 1
News Paul Ryan starts unveiling plan for 'better GOP' Jun 15 Tee Party DOA 44
News We should never have told people to start takin... Jun 14 Candy Generation 1
News Free meals program underway in Vacaville Jun 13 Free for All 1
News Area schools to provide free meals during summe... Jun 9 Work 9
News Obese woman met her fiance in the gym and now t... Jun 5 syfsupps 3
More from around the web