Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9258 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8592 Aug 26, 2014
For those chew n spit does your supply last u longer that way? Like r u able to 're chew what you spit out maybe after letting it dry?
I just don't see how you could get the whole satisfaction without swallowing....
crazy 4 stuff

United States

#8593 Aug 26, 2014
Trying to reduce my chalk intake as I'm going on a trip with people who don't know I eat chalk n don't want to feel desperate when I'm around them hopefully it works so far I've cut down to one and a half box it's going to be tough
Kellzgirl

Mooresville, NC

#8594 Aug 27, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
For those chew n spit does your supply last u longer that way? Like r u able to 're chew what you spit out maybe after letting it dry?
I just don't see how you could get the whole satisfaction without swallowing....
I think I go through more because I spit. I hate that it is nasty I don't think anyone could chew it for a second time. I spit it in a giant glass and empty it into the garbage when it is full. I think my craving is just different than people who swallow. I just crave the relaxing feeling it gives my jaws I carry so much tension there. I also crave the taste but do not need to swallow to be satisfied. I have are clay for indigestion or am upset stomach a couple of times and it helped but for the most part eating it is not my crave just chewing and tasting.
Caribbean Clay Lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#8595 Aug 27, 2014
Ackee wrote:
@CCL I was eating about 3-4 1lb bag for the week. I would go to bed wake up and just have cravings. Just sit up in bed and eat sometimes until I was satisfied. I got from white dirt of Georgia it was expensive and did not taste to good.
So I started buying from mutt and Jeff. It did not taste good at first and someone on the forum told me to try it over a couple days and that was it. It was delicious. I ate it all ten pounds. I then said I was going too buy more but I kept holding out. Oh I wanted it real bad but kept delaying buying it.
So I guess that kind of slowed me down. My mother in law gave me some B12 drops that seems to help. I recently bought ten pounds and you can say that I still have ten pounds. It has been about four months now. Just little nibble here and their.
Hope to wean my self off completely. I did however go back home and want to check out a place I thought had clay. Not to eat it but I believe that maybe some are eating the clay secretly. It is seen in so many countries.
Yep, that's an approach i think most of us use. We eat a lot then try to hold out for a while and distract ourselves with other things to not eat it. But the craving never completely goes away. Especially when we get into stressful issues - the cravings come right back and severely too. Haven't had any clay or limestone since last month and have been trying the milk thing. That reduces the craving but I still need my clay. I noticed not many persons have severe side effects like kidney issues etc. I am relieved about that.
Curious

United States

#8596 Aug 27, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
Trying to reduce my chalk intake as I'm going on a trip with people who don't know I eat chalk n don't want to feel desperate when I'm around them hopefully it works so far I've cut down to one and a half box it's going to be tough
How long is your trip? Why don't you try to challenge yourself. Only bring 1 full box of chalk with you on the trip and eat that box in moderation. The longer the trip the less pieces you would have to eat if you want to make it last. That should help you cut back a little bit. Usually when I'm out and about, around friends or family I'm too focused on them that I don't even think about my cravings for dirt. The only time I crave it is when I'm alone and not busy. If this is a trip where you're busy majority of the time, maybe you won't even think about the cravings of chalk and you won't eat as much. Just an idea though
Snore

Lancaster, PA

#8597 Aug 27, 2014
Bady wrote:
hiya are you any further with this? i live in Uk and am depserate to get my hands on some rainy clay.... Please write back to me and let me know. Thank you
Bady
Hi Bady, unfortunately you probably won't find this clay in the UK. I do know that the white dirt exists. Good luck!
Ackee

Bronx, NY

#8598 Aug 27, 2014
CCL I have not had any side effects except a little bathroom problem when I was eating a lot and not drinking enough water. Even though I do not eat that much anymore I still think about it how good it taste as well as enjoy looking at photo and reading other individual
Experience with clay.
Facefaceface

United States

#8599 Aug 27, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
How long is your trip? Why don't you try to challenge yourself. Only bring 1 full box of chalk with you on the trip and eat that box in moderation. The longer the trip the less pieces you would have to eat if you want to make it last. That should help you cut back a little bit. Usually when I'm out and about, around friends or family I'm too focused on them that I don't even think about my cravings for dirt. The only time I crave it is when I'm alone and not busy. If this is a trip where you're busy majority of the time, maybe you won't even think about the cravings of chalk and you won't eat as much. Just an idea though
I agree 100%. When I travel, I bring a box for every day I will be gone, but I never eat nearly that much. Maybe a stick after meals and a couple before bed, but I don't munch all day like I do at home. You just get so busy that you forget all about chalk.
crazy 4 stuff

San Diego, CA

#8602 Aug 27, 2014
Knowing that I won't be able to have my chalk for more than a day is making me so anxious
crazy 4 stuff

San Diego, CA

#8603 Aug 27, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That's pretty much the plan.stay busy to not think about it although I regularly do most of my eating at night in bed.bad part about my trip is I won't be alone n I'll be with people who just wouldn't get it so I hope I don't get too cranky. I'm not bringing any chalk at all hope I can get through those 13 days we shall see....
crazy 4 stuff

San Diego, CA

#8604 Aug 27, 2014
Kellzgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I go through more because I spit. I hate that it is nasty I don't think anyone could chew it for a second time. I spit it in a giant glass and empty it into the garbage when it is full. I think my craving is just different than people who swallow. I just crave the relaxing feeling it gives my jaws I carry so much tension there. I also crave the taste but do not need to swallow to be satisfied. I have are clay for indigestion or am upset stomach a couple of times and it helped but for the most part eating it is not my crave just chewing and tasting.
Yeah I would think that after u spit it out it loose its taste.about how much do u go through? I know I eat way too much chalk if I allow myself I'll have six boxes at once
nhlasto89

Zimbabwe

#8605 Aug 28, 2014
i had been eating clay for around 9 years and had been over indulging,i would eat about 5 big pieces a day..i would feel guilty after eating it but it was juss 2 nice and tasty to let go of as soon as as i found out that i was pregnant my cravings disappeared completely and i was so happy coz i never thot the cravings would ever end coz i had tried everything ...

Since: Aug 14

Aberdeen, UK

#8606 Aug 28, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes you have to eat it for a few days to enjoy it.
Maybe you can use a hammer to break it into small pieces and then eat that way. Use a hammer. I know when I started eating the white dirt/clay I did not like it but now I can't get enough. I used to eat soil from the ground. Maybe you have to dig deep so that you do not have a problem with bacteria. I do not recommend the soil from the ground. I think it is because you are use to the soil from the ground.
yea you were right, I have been nibbling at it for a few days now and have been starting to crave it possibly even more so than the mud, how much clay o you eat in a day? I only have a piece about the size of a finger nail, so I presume that wont do me any harm?
quitter

Europe

#8607 Aug 28, 2014
nhlasto89 wrote:
i had been eating clay for around 9 years and had been over indulging,i would eat about 5 big pieces a day..i would feel guilty after eating it but it was juss 2 nice and tasty to let go of as soon as as i found out that i was pregnant my cravings disappeared completely and i was so happy coz i never thot the cravings would ever end coz i had tried everything ...
Yea,u right..I thought that when I was pregnant d cravings would come back but infact they didn't ,
Curious

United States

#8608 Aug 28, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
That's pretty much the plan.stay busy to not think about it although I regularly do most of my eating at night in bed.bad part about my trip is I won't be alone n I'll be with people who just wouldn't get it so I hope I don't get too cranky. I'm not bringing any chalk at all hope I can get through those 13 days we shall see....
Wow 13 days without chalk. I'm sure you never done that before. Stay positive and good luck. If you manage yo get throughout the 2 weeks without any chalk and not going crazy you can definitely reward yourself when you make it back home .
crazy 4 stuff

San Diego, CA

#8609 Aug 28, 2014
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow 13 days without chalk. I'm sure you never done that before. Stay positive and good luck. If you manage yo get throughout the 2 weeks without any chalk and not going crazy you can definitely reward yourself when you make it back home .
I think I'm already going crazy just thinking about not having any lol I wish I could cancel my trip too late now lol
crazy 4 stuff

San Diego, CA

#8610 Aug 28, 2014
I love all the pictures on the fb pages everything looks so good
Curious

United States

#8611 Aug 29, 2014
crazy 4 stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I'm already going crazy just thinking about not having any lol I wish I could cancel my trip too late now lol
Stay strong and try not to think too much on it. If you can make it through 13 days of no chalk just know you're growing stronger as a person and that you're helping yourself with this mini break off chalk.

Since: Jul 14

Lancaster, PA

#8612 Aug 29, 2014
This is just crazy! WHY can I not find the right clay? We live in the USA for heavens sake. I have never experienced this much trouble getting something. I am looking for the gray roasted Indian clay. I have been on facebook, internet, phone, and nothing..... Feeling sad!
clay yay

Cincinnati, OH

#8613 Aug 29, 2014
Morales04 wrote:
This is just crazy! WHY can I not find the right clay? We live in the USA for heavens sake. I have never experienced this much trouble getting something. I am looking for the gray roasted Indian clay. I have been on facebook, internet, phone, and nothing..... Feeling sad!
Did you contact Shabnam sunesara the US supplier of this clay ? Sukrut Vanani is the supplier in Gujarat, he sent her a shipment recently. Both their email addresses and phone numbers have been shared on the forum multiple times. He even has his FB page clay lovers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Millions on food stamps at risk under Trump's c... 18 hr Trump forever 3
News Food stamp cuts would hit Wabash Valley hard Fri Dan 61
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Thu Tex-Ankini 7
News Islampray 670x305 Jun 14 Simran68 2
News Fear of deportation drives people off food stam... Jun 7 anotherview 4
News Guidelines for when food goes bad (Jul '15) Jun 1 indict DENNIS ROSS 3
News Turmeric lowered high blood pressure (Feb '09) Jun 1 pok 53
More from around the web