Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9263 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Suri Clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7812 May 10, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes was clay it appears to be the Georgia white Dirt.(kaolin) It looks just like that. Remember different parts of the world clay looks different. The kaolin is eaten a lot in the southern U.S. It is clay but we call it white dirt. If you get some good pieces it can be real good. It is earthy , creamy crunchy and smooth. Some people dig for it and let it air dry or they bake it in the oven for a crunchier taste. They also like it to have a little grit. I do not care for the grit at all. I bought a case and a few pieces had grit in it. I was disappointed because I ate all the other bags and that was the only one left and I was craving it and could not have it.
Obviously,because our kaolin (which is the only type of clay we have here) is always a bit chalky and sticky..Hers wasn't neither...But then again,I am no expert on the matter.She is the only one who could have answered that question..LOL.....Don't like the grit either,,Just plain clay..Smooth and creamy...
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7813 May 10, 2014
Suri Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously,because our kaolin (which is the only type of clay we have here) is always a bit chalky and sticky..Hers wasn't neither...But then again,I am no expert on the matter.She is the only one who could have answered that question..LOL.....Don't like the grit either,,Just plain clay..Smooth and creamy...
I think sometimes it can be sticky. I thinking baking it a little helps because it pulls out some of the moisture. I get clay that can be sticky and not.
crazy 4stuff w

San Diego, CA

#7814 May 11, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is mavu's tanzanian red soil cakes.
Not the red/ brown ones,but the thinner dark brown ones where there's a set of hands dipped in it...is that Tanzanian soil cakes?
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7815 May 11, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I think sometimes it can be sticky. I thinking baking it a little helps because it pulls out some of the moisture. I get clay that can be sticky and not.
Maybe I should try baking my chunks next time.How do I go about that then?
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7816 May 11, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
<quoted text>
Not the red/ brown ones,but the thinner dark brown ones where there's a set of hands dipped in it...is that Tanzanian soil cakes?
I am not sure if I got the right one . If it is the thin skinny ones I believe it is called Ampo. You can type that in on you tube and it shows a video of it being made. I forgot what country that it. They eat it like a little snack. They even got little children and men eating it.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7817 May 11, 2014
I went to see the video and it is no longer there. The pictures are from that video. It shows how the lady makes it.
@crazy4stuff
Icychalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#7818 May 11, 2014
I baked the white dirt chunks and it did give it a little more crunch but still very sticky. Creamy is ok but sticky is very annoying. It takes a while to get the clumps off my teeth and gums. It def does not look like epping Nina had to do that.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7819 May 11, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
I baked the white dirt chunks and it did give it a little more crunch but still very sticky. Creamy is ok but sticky is very annoying. It takes a while to get the clumps off my teeth and gums. It def does not look like epping Nina had to do that.
I am pretty sure it wasn't clay.But I don't know what it could have been.Everybody is guessing.....
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7820 May 11, 2014
suri clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I am pretty sure it wasn't clay.But I don't know what it could have been.Everybody is guessing.....
Epping Nina called it clay though, so I think it had to be some kind of clay.
Even within the kaolin group of clays, they don't all come out exactly the same. They have different concentrations of minerals that give slightly different tastes, colors and textures.So maybe her's was not the exact same kind of kaolin that you get in Georgia white dirt,
Or maybe her's was refined or processed beyond just baking.

Or maybe it wasn't kaolin at all, but another kind of white clay.

But I think it's safe to say it was clay. We just don't know what type.
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7821 May 11, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Even within the kaolin group of clays, they don't all come out exactly the same. They have different concentrations of minerals that give slightly different tastes, colors and textures.So maybe her's was not the exact same kind of kaolin that you get in Georgia white dirt,
I would someday like to try the white dirt from the USA and see in what way it differs from the ones we have here.Even here we have different kinds within one pit.But one thing they do have in common.They are all sticky to a certain degree.If I could get my hands on clay like epping nina's it would become my favourite.No stickines and no chalky residue.....LOL
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7822 May 11, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well said. Clay does come in different texture and mineral content.
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#7823 May 11, 2014
I've been off clay since December of 2013 . Cravings come & go . But I really want to buy a bag of Wanda's clay . Her nice pink "white dirt" w/ the sour but earthy taste & a nice crunch . A little sticky but just how I like it . Crumbly but also smooth . I wonder where she dig her clay , I would love to go there & get a big bucket all to myself .. My mouth is watering just thinking about her clay .
Angela

Europe

#7824 May 12, 2014
I often eat clay too and I'm NW suffering from constipation-ladies becarefull
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7825 May 12, 2014
Boy oh boy i love my chalk!after a night of heavy drinking chalk helped with no hangover again! Lol n boy was it heavy drinking n this morning no hang over whatsoever never happens unless i also have chalk
crazy 4stuff w

United States

#7826 May 12, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure if I got the right one . If it is the thin skinny ones I believe it is called Ampo. You can type that in on you tube and it shows a video of it being made. I forgot what country that it. They eat it like a little snack. They even got little children and men eating it.
You were right! I googled it n it came up right up, its very interesting how there's only a few people that make it
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7827 May 13, 2014
crazy 4stuff w wrote:
Boy oh boy i love my chalk!after a night of heavy drinking chalk helped with no hangover again! Lol n boy was it heavy drinking n this morning no hang over whatsoever never happens unless i also have chalk
Do you take the chalk as you are drinking or as the hang over hits? How much chalk to you take?
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7828 May 13, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you take the chalk as you are drinking or as the hang over hits? How much chalk to you take?
Planning to do some heavy drinking,Mobu?? LOL
Icychalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#7829 May 13, 2014
Lol... Lets all do some heavy drinking and eat chalk and then report back...
Icychalk

Mount Vernon, NY

#7830 May 13, 2014
My son got some Harry potter jelly beans for Easter. The ones that have strange flavors like ear wax. There was one that was dirt flavored. I was so excited to try it... It was horrible... Lol
I know

Clarksville, TN

#7831 May 13, 2014
I want slate pencils. After watching Epping Nina crunch them up in her mouth. I can't stop craving them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woman loses 104 lbs through nonprofit's support 13 hr Ugggg Lee 3
News Honey Boo Boo's diet now a serious study by uni... (Oct '12) Feb 14 Anonymous 17
News White House wants to deliver food to the poor, ... Feb 14 okimar 8
News Nutrition and the African-American diet Feb 11 humanspirit 13
News Why do consumers buy plant-based dairy alternat... Feb 9 Yesterday and Today 2
News Chocolate Day 2018: These Are the Chocolates Yo... Feb 9 Corvus 1
News Female and losing your hair? Don't worry h- her... (Mar '15) Feb 8 ChristinaMack 4
More from around the web