Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9224 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7747 Apr 30, 2014
@ Suri
The Yellow clay was quite delicious, and soft, I broke it down to smaller chunks nd put it an shoe box and placed the box on my bedroom window where the sun hits. I'd pop a piece in almost everyday. How ever I've had better tasting yellow clay. But I can't say the one I bought was a waste of money
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7748 Apr 30, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
@ Suri
The Yellow clay was quite delicious, and soft, I broke it down to smaller chunks nd put it an shoe box and placed the box on my bedroom window where the sun hits. I'd pop a piece in almost everyday. How ever I've had better tasting yellow clay. But I can't say the one I bought was a waste of money
Glad to hear that.Did you summon up the courage yet to buy the red clay? LOL
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7749 Apr 30, 2014
suri clay wrote:
Watching epping Nina again I just can't shake the feeling that it just isn't clay that she is eating.It is just way to crumbly and not sticky in the least.Check out her tongue at 40 sec in the clip
I meant 49 seconds,sorry about that.....
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7750 Apr 30, 2014
suri clay wrote:
Watching epping Nina again I just can't shake the feeling that it just isn't clay that she is eating.It is just way to crumbly and not sticky in the least.Check out her tongue at 40 sec in the clip
I agree! She's eating huge chunks without drinking anything. It takes me a long time to eat just a small piece of clay and it sticks all over.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7751 Apr 30, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q =tbn:ANd9GcT-7wnbycOikddUVCrEn Sr4ij6JycoxHs6byCB-ElB9nxgrY8F slzhhJGA
This is the type of red clay I like. I got this pic from google but this is very similer to the type I eat. Very earthy, feels like little explotions of dirt go off in your mouth when you pop a piece in.
That looks and sounds really good. Where do you get it from? Does it stick to your teeth?
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7752 Apr 30, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree! She's eating huge chunks without drinking anything. It takes me a long time to eat just a small piece of clay and it sticks all over.
I think maybe she baked it. Sometimes I get clay like that and sometimes it can be crunchy and sticks. It would be nice if she could share what and where she got it. That video keeps me going back to look over and over again. Hmmm
facefaceface

Lawrenceburg, IN

#7753 Apr 30, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I think maybe she baked it. Sometimes I get clay like that and sometimes it can be crunchy and sticks. It would be nice if she could share what and where she got it. That video keeps me going back to look over and over again. Hmmm
I know!!
I'm so disappointed that she isn't replying to comments.
You would think that as a fellow chalk/clay eater, she of all people would understand why we need to know where she is getting these delicious-looking items LOL.
crazy 4stuff w

Los Angeles, CA

#7754 Apr 30, 2014
As i was watching yummy videos i ran into one about cornstarch where the lady starts feeding it to her kids? I eat chalk but never would i give it to my kids. Eeek!
royal

Hyderabad, India

#7755 May 1, 2014
clay yay wrote:
Best of all has a wonderful smoky taste*( missed this in my earlier comment)
clay yay @ hi your from hyderabad?
suri clay

Paramaribo, Suriname

#7756 May 1, 2014
facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I know!!
I'm so disappointed that she isn't replying to comments.
You would think that as a fellow chalk/clay eater, she of all people would understand why we need to know where she is getting these delicious-looking items LOL.
Maybe she only did it this one time for her 15 minutes of fame......LOL
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7757 May 1, 2014
Icychalk wrote:
<quoted text>
That looks and sounds really good. Where do you get it from? Does it stick to your teeth?
I get it from the market, and no it does not stick to your teeth, sometimes I come across chucnks that's slightly sour, its amazingly earthy.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7759 May 1, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it from the market, and no it does not stick to your teeth, sometimes I come across chucnks that's slightly sour, its amazingly earthy.
That sounds like my perfect clay! You are so lucky.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7760 May 1, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q =tbn:ANd9GcT-7wnbycOikddUVCrEn Sr4ij6JycoxHs6byCB-ElB9nxgrY8F slzhhJGA
This is the type of red clay I like. I got this pic from google but this is very similer to the type I eat. Very earthy, feels like little explotions of dirt go off in your mouth when you pop a piece in.
Does it have a name, the type you eat, or is it just called red clay?

Wish I could be sampling a piece of this right now, but will have to be satisfied with my DE.
Icychalk

Forest Hills, NY

#7761 May 1, 2014
Mobu Consumer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I am jealous! Lol
Mobu Consumer

South Africa

#7762 May 1, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it have a name, the type you eat, or is it just called red clay?
Wish I could be sampling a piece of this right now, but will have to be satisfied with my DE.
Its just called red clay and people of different languages call it "red clay" in their languages
clay yay

Hyderabad, India

#7763 May 2, 2014
royal wrote:
<quoted text>
clay yay @ hi your from hyderabad?
Yes...I'm from Hyd
Deli

Fontenay-trésigny, France

#7765 May 2, 2014
One day my mom had a lot of friends in our home it was a party (our party is different) the next day my sister told me there is som clay in the kitchen i went to see and i Saw some moulded clay like the white clay moulded with hand and baked in oven forme of a bread i eated them not the same day. 
It was sooo smooth i cant explain becoz of my english.

Few years later searched on internet clays for pregnant women and i saw a french topic african women also eating clays. I was happy to find some people not pregnant like me who eat clays. 
I found also some topics they say its not good to eat clays for ur body and i found that give constipation. I was worry for myself if i continue to eat it ,I found also some people eating cornstarch. 
Here in france we have only the maizena i tried it but it not good like clays i stopped it. And i saw mizcornstarch on youtube. I always watched her new videos but never leave a comment.
 When i first left a comment to tell her in france we have clays like she eated on mavu sampling clay videos She insulted me and blocked me and said to sell my clay to another people because she know all the clays and eated all the clays of the world. I was shocked because i didnt tell her something bad just that in france there is same clay. I was not trying to sell her clay i had no clay to sell. This woman is very crazy. I used to like her video but now i hate her. 
Now im 20 i live with my boyfriend and i told him i eated clay its was embarrassing to tell him i told him that the clay is so good crunchy smell like rain its not like the dirt we see outside or for the plants. I just love kalaba kaolin clay. He didnt like the idea i eat them so he told me to not eat it again.
 In my country pregnants women eat clay the bread form one and it used for decorating face on the wedding or for the spirit ceremony .Now its been 3 years i dont eat clays or something else, but my craving is so strong . I come to this topics to read yours comments or i go to youtube to look people eating clays . Or when i go to african asian store i just look the clays but i dont buy it. I try to think about something else and live my life but sometimes the crave come. 
I eat hard candy its crunchy lol i dont like chocolate but sometime i eat it. 3 years ago i find myself im slow and when i was to my family house i always slept all the day. I was a good runner at school but now when i run 2 minuts im tired . My body is tired i tried the iron pills its as no effect , so i take vitamins and eat a lot. Sometimes i say to myself im happy to have my boyfriend to tell me to dont eat clay and carry on me , i respect him. because if i was alone i will continue to eat clays. 

Thanks if u read all my words, sorry if i offense someone.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7767 May 2, 2014
@ Deli thanks for sharing. I do not think you offended Kenya. She has been having a disagreement with someone else about who created microwave cornstarch chunks. She had block her comments bcz they were leaving nasty comments. It good to know you have such control. You have access to clay but resist.

Does your mom eat clay?
See a lot of people does not understand the craving we have that is why so many of us hide it and also come here to express ourselves.
Deli

Fontenay-trésigny, France

#7768 May 2, 2014
ann wrote:
@ Deli thanks for sharing. I do not think you offended Kenya. She has been having a disagreement with someone else about who created microwave cornstarch chunks. She had block her comments bcz they were leaving nasty comments. It good to know you have such control. You have access to clay but resist.
Does your mom eat clay?
See a lot of people does not understand the craving we have that is why so many of us hide it and also come here to express ourselves.
Thanks a lot. Yes my mom eat clay only in her pregnancy and people around my family and family friends but only when they are pregnant. My mom is actually pregnant and its the first time in my life i know she eat it because she said to my father she forgot to buy clay. She never eat it when with her maybe when she is alone. she is well, we are 7 and she never had a pregnancy problem with the clay.
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7769 May 2, 2014
Deli wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks a lot. Yes my mom eat clay only in her pregnancy and people around my family and family friends but only when they are pregnant. My mom is actually pregnant and its the first time in my life i know she eat it because she said to my father she forgot to buy clay. She never eat it when with her maybe when she is alone. she is well, we are 7 and she never had a pregnancy problem with the clay.
Hi Deli.

Most of the women on here are not pregnant either.

I truly believe that the cravings are due to mineral deficiencies, and that eating good clean clay in small amounts is not bad. I do not like the cravings though I have to admit, the feeling of desperately having to have clay and similar things.

You spoke before of how clay is used in your country, and spoke about "bread clay". What country is it, and can you tell us more about what the clay is like?

Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Federal subsidy failing to keep northern food h... 13 hr yet 1
News 'My 600-Lb. Life' takes viewers on 'Joe's Story... (Mar '15) Dec 1 TipsyFromCentralC... 11
News Gene mutation appears to increase risk of Parki... Nov 28 Stephany McDowell 1
News British Medical Journal piece says evidence doe... Nov 26 VitaminD 1
News Pig behaviour, human nutrition experts take sta... Nov 17 scared yet 1
News Turmeric lowered high blood pressure (Feb '09) Nov 13 CoolGuy 46
News Can exercise detoxify the body? Health experts ... (Dec '12) Nov 12 Karla72 8
More from around the web