Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,770
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
ann

New York, NY

#7083 Jan 12, 2014
Yashika wrote:
Hey guys I have never tried clay but I do have a strong craving for chalk .... I just go insane and I know it's harmful and I actually have to hide it . I am about to get married but can't get rid of the intense craving but one solution I have found out is to chew few pieces enjoy the taste and then puke it out of my mouth !
Some of us do not swallow the clay we just chew it and spit it out just to get that earthy , sour or crunchy taste we crave.
saira

Germany

#7084 Jan 12, 2014
Hi..i m crazy clay lover.. i eat red clay chunks of india dat i bought from punjab region dere known as gaieroo nd also eat yellow coloured multani mitti ( fuller earth) big chunks but only after putting in oven for few minutes.. Tried slate pencils of india luv it..yummy , delicious nd jst gave me amazingly earthy flavour ....
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7085 Jan 12, 2014
Yashika wrote:
Hey guys I have never tried clay but I do have a strong craving for chalk .... I just go insane and I know it's harmful and I actually have to hide it . I am about to get married but can't get rid of the intense craving but one solution I have found out is to chew few pieces enjoy the taste and then puke it out of my mouth !
I can totally relate i just love eating chalk so much! It's indescribably delicious!! What brand do u like? I love Crayola anti dust n also sargent brand
Facefaceface

Washington, DC

#7087 Jan 12, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
I can totally relate i just love eating chalk so much! It's indescribably delicious!! What brand do u like? I love Crayola anti dust n also sargent brand
I don't eat clay, but I absolutely love white chalk.
I used to like Crayola Anti-Dust, but the quality is too hard to control (they have two manufacturers with two different formulas) so I stopped buying from them.

Now I only buy Prang Hygieia.
It's 95% calcium carbonate so it tastes really clean and I never have to worry about what's in it, and is the perfect balance between crunchy and soft. Sometimes I put a few sticks in front of my computer vent lol so that it will dry out fully and be more crunchy, but it still dissolves down into a nice creamy texture.

It's also really cheap and easy to buy, so I never have to worry about getting more. The only thing I have to worry about is making sure not eating too much and remembering to drink lots of water and eat plenty of fiber, since calcium carbonate can throw off your digestion if you eat it in large amounts.

I don't know what I would do if they ever changed or discontinued it lol.
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7088 Jan 12, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to like Crayola Anti-Dust, but the quality is too hard to control (they have two manufacturers with two different formulas) so I stopped buying from them.
It's 95% calcium carbonate so it tastes really clean and I never have to worry about what's in it, and is the perfect balance between crunchy and soft. Sometimes I put a few sticks in front of my computer vent lol so that it will dry out fully and be more crunchy, but it still dissolves down into a nice creamy texture.
It's also really cheap and easy to buy, so I never have to worry about getting more. The only thing I have to worry about is making sure not eating too much and remembering to drink lots of water and eat plenty of fiber, since calcium carbonate can throw off your digestion if you eat it in large amounts.
I used to really like that brand but now a days i take a chance n just order the Crayola anti dust online that seems to taste great versus the ones at the store those r just horrible, I've also taken a big liking to the sargent brand it's cheap n easy to find without ordering online, i haven't been able to but any lately n I'm craving it So bad! I wonder if baking it makes it any better...
Facefaceface

Washington, DC

#7089 Jan 12, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to really like that brand but now a days i take a chance n just order the Crayola anti dust online that seems to taste great versus the ones at the store those r just horrible, I've also taken a big liking to the sargent brand it's cheap n easy to find without ordering online, i haven't been able to but any lately n I'm craving it So bad! I wonder if baking it makes it any better...
Yes, that was my problem too.
And then even sometimes, ordering online, I would get the kind from the bad manufacturer. I have a ton of nasty chalk from them that I can't eat Waste of money smh.

I'll try the Sargent brand. It's always exciting to find different brands.:D

And I don't know about the Sargent brand,but Prang is horrible baked.
I tried it thinking that it would get extra crunchy and yummy, but it just ended up tasting burnt and I couldn't stand it. So now I just stick it in front of my computer vent or a hair dryer or a blowing heater, and that works well.
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7090 Jan 12, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that was my problem too.
And then even sometimes, ordering online, I would get the kind from the bad manufacturer. I have a ton of nasty chalk from them that I can't eat Waste of money smh.
I'll try the Sargent brand. It's always exciting to find different brands.:D
And I don't know about the Sargent brand,but Prang is horrible baked.
I tried it thinking that it would get extra crunchy and yummy, but it just ended up tasting burnt and I couldn't stand it. So now I just stick it in front of my computer vent or a hair dryer or a blowing heater, and that works well.
It's so exciting for me to find I'm not alone in chalk eating, I've always hidden it n felt like a lonely weird o lol. I'm curious to try n bake it lightly n see if it'll get a more earthy taste to it n after reading all these clay experiences i really want to ordersome clay to try it. I'm glad every time I've ordered Crayola it's still yummy but definitely have come across the nasty kind sucks that they've changed the "recipe". I do hope chalk never gets discontinued it would be sad cuz i find it really relaxes me like right now as I'm munching on some i have to admit i do eat way too much
Anonymous

Lucknow, India

#7092 Jan 13, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of us do not swallow the clay we just chew it and spit it out just to get that earthy , sour or crunchy taste we crave.
Lol ... I can't believe I am not the only one ... Ya I mean the taste that u get after chewing it just makes me go ummmmmmmm .... Doesn't ur tongue hurt after chewing the clay ??
Anonymous

Lucknow, India

#7093 Jan 13, 2014
crazy 4stuff wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never tried Crayola I guess that's not available in the local market ... I love Omega colored chalk .... Whenever I have them my eyes literally shuts down ... But I would suggest you not to gulp down the entire thing ... Chew it .. Take the taste inside ur mouth and them spit them out , that's just simply health friendly :)
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#7094 Jan 13, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to see if I can order some of that Prang Hygieia - I really like the idea that it is 95% calcium carbonate and it sounds so good.

I have tried the Crayola Anti-Dust before, because I had read about others who really liked it, but hated it...just couldn't chew it. I'm guessing now that I got it from the 'wrong' manufacturer.

Right now I am so disappointed because I packed a sandwich bag with pieces of my favourite clays this morning - Soul Sista chunks and moulded and Wanda chunks - and was just waiting for everyone to leave my office so I could have a few bites. Problem is I forgot to put the bag in my handbag so no clay.

I'm supposed to go to the cinema, but really just feel like going home to my clay.
dirt lady

Miami, FL

#7095 Jan 13, 2014
Try goodole dirt from wanda green thats the best clay in the state of georgia .Try baking it for 30 minutes on 375 feels like you're in heaven .Wish she would have special very expensive bags are not full but the best!!!!!!!!!
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7096 Jan 13, 2014
Yashika wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never tried Crayola I guess that's not available in the local market ... I love Omega colored chalk .... Whenever I have them my eyes literally shuts down ... But I would suggest you not to gulp down the entire thing ... Chew it .. Take the taste inside ur mouth and them spit them out , that's just simply health friendly :)
I need done self control cuz i don't think i can just chew it once it's in my mouth i can't help but swallow it taste delicious
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7097 Jan 13, 2014
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to see if I can order some of that Prang Hygieia - I really like the idea that it is 95% calcium carbonate and it sounds so good.
I have tried the Crayola Anti-Dust before, because I had read about others who really liked it, but hated it...just couldn't chew it. I'm guessing now that I got it from the 'wrong' manufacturer.
Right now I am so disappointed because I packed a sandwich bag with pieces of my favourite clays this morning - Soul Sista chunks and moulded and Wanda chunks - and was just waiting for everyone to leave my office so I could have a few bites. Problem is I forgot to put the bag in my handbag so no clay.
I'm supposed to go to the cinema, but really just feel like going home to my clay.
Oh no! That sucks that you forgot it i can totally relate to wanting to go home to chalk in my case instead of going out lol
Facefaceface

Alexandria, VA

#7098 Jan 13, 2014
I don't get how you can spit it out though.
Maybe it's just with chalk, but I feel like you don't get the full taste until it has dissolved.

And where do you spit it that it won't make a mess or be gross?
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7099 Jan 13, 2014
Facefaceface wrote:
I don't get how you can spit it out though.
Maybe it's just with chalk, but I feel like you don't get the full taste until it has dissolved.
And where do you spit it that it won't make a mess or be gross?
I guess it can be done, not that i do it since i enjoy eating it but i have seen a video on YouTube of a lady that chewed it n dropped it into a box but it looked pretty messy, i think it's cleaner when i eat it lol
clay fever clay diva

United States

#7100 Jan 14, 2014
Im a ayilo eater and I just cant chew and spit out either. It seems that I just have to eat the entire clay it is so soothing. I just love the chuncy and smoke taste .
Curious

Mcdonough, GA

#7101 Jan 14, 2014
Everyday I can feel my cravings getting stronger and stronger. I wish I was addicted to chalk. A brand that I like that I can buy from the store. It's so easy to get and cheap. But I'm stuck craving clay. Clay with an earthy taste and a crunch but with a smooth finish. I also like it sour but that's a bonus. Buying clay offline is so expensive.$13.24 for Wanda's DELICIOUS clay and $14.80 for Leslie clay. Both good, just wish it was a little cheaper. Maybe it's me complaining. Miss the earthy flavor and the crunch.
I've tried chalk before. I've tried crayola and rose art chalk. Love the crunch, hate the taste and the after taste.

Since: Jun 13

Mooresville, NC

#7102 Jan 14, 2014
Curious wrote:
Everyday I can feel my cravings getting stronger and stronger. I wish I was addicted to chalk. A brand that I like that I can buy from the store. It's so easy to get and cheap. But I'm stuck craving clay. Clay with an earthy taste and a crunch but with a smooth finish. I also like it sour but that's a bonus. Buying clay offline is so expensive.$13.24 for Wanda's DELICIOUS clay and $14.80 for Leslie clay. Both good, just wish it was a little cheaper. Maybe it's me
complaining. Miss the earthy flavor and the crunch.
I've tried chalk before. I've tried crayola and rose art chalk. Love the crunch, hate the taste and the after taste.
Mohave you tried Mutt and Jeff Curious? It is a dollar a pound 10 pound minimum. 10 dollars shipping. So 10 pounds is $20. I have been happy with them.
crazy 4stuff

United States

#7103 Jan 14, 2014
Actually chalk can also get pricey depending on how much you consume , i eat up to 3 boxes in one
Sitting and will usually have more than"one eating session"a day. Honestly with all the great things i hear about clay I am very tempted to order some n try it again, the first time was as a child n have no idea where i got it that time
odowa

San Jose, CA

#7104 Jan 15, 2014
Hi everyone , I m eating sand rocks for 4 months... I got it from beach...I m chewing small amount only, now I m pregnant.. This is gonna affect my baby? I cant stop this craving.. my husband know this last month.. So nowadays we didn't go to the beach.... but my craving get stronger nd stronger every time I think about it...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fitness Icon Denise Austin Introduces New 10-We... Sat DeniseAustinFan 1
7 things to know about epilepsy Dec 17 DeeDee86 2
Saturated Fat Affects More Than Your Cholesterol (Jun '06) Dec 16 ADA 2014 18
Fighting the Flu With Food Dec 9 Weedhopper 1
GOP makes final push for school lunch waiver Dec 8 Lawrence Wolf 22
CO2 myth busted: Why we need more carbon dioxid... (Mar '13) Dec 6 Earthling-1 101
Obesity can shave years off life: study Dec 6 Pebbles 1
More from around the web