Why do I often crave eating clay?

Why do I often crave eating clay?

There are 9206 comments on the GoErie.com story from Dec 7, 2007, titled Why do I often crave eating clay?. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

Clatter

London, UK

#7010 Jan 1, 2014
UK CLAY wrote:
Hi guys so I got my mavu original clay, it doesn't taste very earthy and it's very very smooth with no grit at all. This is something that I'm not used to. Anybody has any ideas of what I can do to make it more earthier
BAKE!!! Quicker if u put it in the microwave
Jackie

San Leandro, CA

#7011 Jan 1, 2014
mathenge wrote:
I really want to buy clay or soil for eating, i am in Germany, where can i find this? Please help.
Any African, Nigerian,Caribbean or international food markets where you live? I love eating clay and buy it at these kind of stores in America. It took a long time before the discovery, also studies on clay show that clay has a lot of nutritional value.
ann

New York, NY

#7012 Jan 2, 2014
Why we crave and love clay on Facebook is great. She seem to be connecting with a lot of different clay sellers. The variety that we can get is growing.Wow!! Great page.
CLAY DIVA

Lumberton, TX

#7013 Jan 2, 2014
@ Ann I think so two I have been able to get my hands on different clays I didnt think were sold here in U.S. I thought they were sold only in the U.K. I also enjoy looking at the pictures of the clay ,you know excatly what the clay looks like before you get it most of the time..Now the taste you wont experience until you actually order .Check it out I agree great clay page.
Clay eater

Mount Gilead, OH

#7014 Jan 2, 2014
ann wrote:
Why we crave and love clay on Facebook is great. She seem to be connecting with a lot of different clay sellers. The variety that we can get is growing.Wow!! Great page.
I hate to bring this up but how concerned is everyone with the clay being harmful? I see stories about high lead or arsenic levels and because the clays come from all over I always think about parasites!!!!!
Curious

Rex, GA

#7015 Jan 2, 2014
My cravings are so strong right now for some white clay .
ann

New York, NY

#7017 Jan 2, 2014
Clay eater wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to bring this up but how concerned is everyone with the clay being harmful? I see stories about high lead or arsenic levels and because the clays come from all over I always think about parasites!!!!!
I agree that one needs to be cautious when it comes to getting clay. If they were to do it the way some of these Americans are doing it. This would be better. A safe and sterile way. They do sell clay tablets in health food stores.
Clay eater

Elyria, OH

#7018 Jan 2, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that one needs to be cautious when it comes to getting clay. If they were to do it the way some of these Americans are doing it. This would be better. A safe and sterile way. They do sell clay tablets in health food stores.
Terriman red clay chunks are pretty good! Every time I ordered from them they gave me sample's. Once they were the clay tablets....its just NOT the same!!!! Lol
ackee

Brooklyn, NY

#7019 Jan 2, 2014
I was just reading an article that someone posted about the dangers of clay. I thought having it up might help some of us. It seem to have been taken down. It was quite interesting and concerning. I think you should put it back so we can read it. It might help some of us to quit.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7020 Jan 2, 2014
Clay eater wrote:
<quoted text>
Terriman red clay chunks are pretty good! Every time I ordered from them they gave me sample's. Once they were the clay tablets....its just NOT the same!!!! Lol
I think the things we crave in the clay is taken out. The tablet lacks the earthy taste we crave. Clay us used in so many everyday things that we do not think about. The makeup we put on our face. The toothpaste to brush our teeth. It is weird that people have been eating clay for ages.
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#7021 Jan 2, 2014
Has anyone experienced lack of concentration, short term memory loss, insomnia? Been studying about it lately and a few people have admitted to it. Not many people though, some persons haven't paid attention to these symptoms. I experienced insomnia and it has gotten better after I quit. Or could these symptoms be associated with other underlying factors
Clay eater

Columbus, OH

#7022 Jan 2, 2014
ann wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the things we crave in the clay is taken out. The tablet lacks the earthy taste we crave. Clay us used in so many everyday things that we do not think about. The makeup we put on our face. The toothpaste to brush our teeth. It is weird that people have been eating clay for ages.
Not only does it lack the earthy taste but those tablets had a aspirin like coating that I did not like....nasty!!!! I've only been craving this earthy after it rains thing for about a year. And none of the clays I've tried has truly satisfied that craving . What do those slate tiger pencils taste like?
ackee

Brooklyn, NY

#7023 Jan 2, 2014
Adaku wrote:
Has anyone experienced lack of concentration, short term memory loss, insomnia? Been studying about it lately and a few people have admitted to it. Not many people though, some persons haven't paid attention to these symptoms. I experienced insomnia and it has gotten better after I quit. Or could these symptoms be associated with other underlying factors
Those are very good questions. Their is some researcha that says in small quantity it is good for us . Then again we are not sure. I think too much of it can lead to problems. I think it depends on your body and family medical history. Some people have side effects as if like those who take too much of anything. Maybe eating so much clay and not giving it time to get out the system can weigh you down and cause problems. A lot of us do over do it. It is like eating a bag of chips you cannot eat just one by the time you look the whole bag is gone.Our cravings get the best of us.
ann

Brooklyn, NY

#7024 Jan 2, 2014
Clay eater wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only does it lack the earthy taste but those tablets had a aspirin like coating that I did not like....nasty!!!! I've only been craving this earthy after it rains thing for about a year. And none of the clays I've tried has truly satisfied that craving . What do those slate tiger pencils taste like?
Yes their is something about the rain hitting the groung. That smells so goog you crave the earth. All the minerals that the body needs from the soil the sensory of smell tells our brain it is what we need. Smells so good you ca eat it. Lol. They do make those clay tablets like you were taking a pill. They take out and probably put things in. I have never tried slate pencils. I have not had any clay for many months now. I crave it but decided to not order.

That earthiness is elusive. Sometimes you get some good earthy clay. It is a hit or miss sometimes. When you get a earthy one it is oh so good.
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#7025 Jan 3, 2014
ackee wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are very good questions. Their is some researcha that says in small quantity it is good for us . Then again we are not sure. I think too much of it can lead to problems. I think it depends on your body and family medical history. Some people have side effects as if like those who take too much of anything. Maybe eating so much clay and not giving it time to get out the system can weigh you down and cause problems. A lot of us do over do it. It is like eating a bag of chips you cannot eat just one by the time you look the whole bag is gone.Our cravings get the best of us.
very true, what we need is control.....
Clay eater

Columbus, OH

#7026 Jan 4, 2014
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text> very true, what we need is control.....
Control.....see I'm not sure if its the chicken or the egg! And by that I mean I NEVER in my life want to eat dirt!! Then about a year age at the ripe old age of 43 I WANTED IT BAAAADDDDD! Lol Why I have no idea. And when I stared eating it I mixed it in a glass of water like the institutions told me to do but it was not satisfing the craving. So I stared eating the dry clay then drinking the water .....much better!!!!! And I could truly taste the clay and I wasn't in love with it at first, but I learned to love clay. It didn't like me thou!!!!! Constipation!!!!! Lol like you wouldn't believe .... I'm eating clay....then taking a laxative!!!!! Stupid....so I've pretty much given up the clay eating now. All I've got on hand is some Georgia white dirt that I wanted to try..... I'm NOT a fan. No real flavor or sour in some spots. But I know others Love it.
Adaku

Aberdeen, UK

#7027 Jan 4, 2014
Clay eater wrote:
<quoted text>
Control.....see I'm not sure if its the chicken or the egg! And by that I mean I NEVER in my life want to eat dirt!! Then about a year age at the ripe old age of 43 I WANTED IT BAAAADDDDD! Lol Why I have no idea. And when I stared eating it I mixed it in a glass of water like the institutions told me to do but it was not satisfing the craving. So I stared eating the dry clay then drinking the water .....much better!!!!! And I could truly taste the clay and I wasn't in love with it at first, but I learned to love clay. It didn't like me thou!!!!! Constipation!!!!! Lol like you wouldn't believe .... I'm eating clay....then taking a laxative!!!!! Stupid....so I've pretty much given up the clay eating now. All I've got on hand is some Georgia white dirt that I wanted to try..... I'm NOT a fan. No real flavor or sour in some spots. But I know others Love it.
i know what yu mean...I used to love eating it chronically. I couldn't control myself at allll. I always had stock and I paid dearly for my lack of control. Being able to set a limit and stick with it was my target for years and I'm glad to be where I am now. The craves haven't ceased.i nearly bought some last week but stopped myself in time....eatin clay and taking laxatives.... Had that experience once
clayaholic

London, UK

#7028 Jan 4, 2014
Received my original Mavu clay and it's just like I remember! I prefer to bake mine tho. I wrap it up tightly in two kitchen tissues and blast it in the microwave for exactly 2 minutes and 10 seconds. Works wonderfully everytime and is quicker than the oven. Crunchy earthy clay that's my perfect clay.
Clay eater

Columbus, OH

#7029 Jan 4, 2014
clayaholic wrote:
Received my original Mavu clay and it's just like I remember! I prefer to bake mine tho. I wrap it up tightly in two kitchen tissues and blast it in the microwave for exactly 2 minutes and 10 seconds. Works wonderfully everytime and is quicker than the oven. Crunchy earthy clay that's my perfect clay.
I like the Mavu clay but it was so smooth that I thought it had oil in it!!!!Lol and when I baked it nothing came out so I knew then it was not oily ...Its fascinating how geographic location changes the taste and properties of the clays. Some are smooth. Some are gritty. Some are sour. And lets not even get into the different colors.
ackee

Brooklyn, NY

#7030 Jan 4, 2014
Adaku wrote:
<quoted text>i know what yu mean...I used to love eating it chronically. I couldn't control myself at allll. I always had stock and I paid dearly for my lack of control. Being able to set a limit and stick with it was my target for years and I'm glad to be where I am now. The craves haven't ceased.i nearly bought some last week but stopped myself in time....eatin clay and taking laxatives.... Had that experience once

You have come a long way . It seems that your will power is great. Even though we quit we always get that craving to take one little bite. This some times lead to many bites.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge Calls State Incompetent & in Contempt Sat justice is just a... 1
News What parents need to know about gummy vitamins Jul 22 mar 1
News Illegal Aliens Receive Food Stamp Preference Ov... Jul 12 tomin cali 1
News Healthy weight programs for lesbian and bisexua... Jul 8 Holy Silicon Wafer 1
News Maine's governor defies Feds, says no to junk f... Jun 30 stacy 3
News Silver Spotlight: Lessons in leadership from Po... Jun 30 dick denton 1
News 10 Veggies To Get Your Nutrients In Jun '16 Marta 1
More from around the web